The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: AP for sure because I could go to the parks every day, even if I chose to stay offsite in a house or condo (when I can't afford Disney prices!)

So, for full disclosure, I had sweat dripping down my back just from walking from my car to my front door yesterday. You WILL sweat down here, make no mistake! Some folks can be comfortable just wiping down with baby wipes or paper towels and a sink - is that you? If so, go for it: you'll just get sweaty again walking around. Where are the pool showers at AKV? I don't remember there being any other than in the fitness center, and that will require a room key to enter, so something to consider and investigate.

I was also going to suggest the wiping down with baby wipes in the restroom. And bring deodorant to re-apply. :) For me, I think I would do that along with a change of clothes. Even if you're not "racing", in those temperatures you'll be completely soaked with sweat. A change into dry clothes will probably help a lot, even if you end up sweating through some of them.

I was also going to suggest the wiping down with baby wipes in the restroom. And bring deodorant to re-apply. :) For me, I think I would do that along with a change of clothes. Even if you're not "racing", in those temperatures you'll be completely soaked with sweat. A change into dry clothes will probably help a lot, even if you end up sweating through some of them.

Thanks! What I am choosing to read is that the answer is run, wipe down & change, and look for a fun pre-park breakfast! And maybe change again in the airport if I have any clean clothes left ;)

if I were to translate to how I understand it: Would I rather have free unlimited park entry (AP) or free unlimited on-site deluxe accommodations that I can rent out when I am not using (DVC), I would definitely take DVC because the value would exponentially cover the value of the AP and all the AP perks.

Same here, and it means Aulani, WDW, DL, cruises, even a beach location.

QOTD: If the cost of DVC and AP (including special event tickets) were the same price, but you can only pick one for life, which would you take?
DVC because with that you can get discounted or DVC annual passes. The accommodations are also pretty great and it can be used on cruises, Aulani, DL and more.

Thanks! What I am choosing to read is that the answer is run, wipe down & change, and look for a fun pre-park breakfast! And maybe change again in the airport if I have any clean clothes left ;)
For the wipe down portion of that plan, I found that wipes are great but leave me a bit sticky so I also carry a small gym towel and wet a corner of it with water to complete the wipe and to dry myself better.

Last minute advice needed, please.

I am running Montreal RnR Half-Marathon tomorrow. I have found no information on what type of gel they will provide, nobody knew at the Expo, very strange. Usually, I would have practice at least once with it but now I can’t, I just don’t know. I never had a digestion problem linked to gel, just less energy sometimes.

At least, having run the 5k this morning, I can only presume that the energy/electrolyte drink will be the same, so Orange Gatorade.

So, here is the aid station line-up (Water, E drink, Gel, Banana) And according to the map there is no bathroom whatsoever (!).

2.5km W+E
5km W+E
7.5km W
10km W+E
12.5km W+E
15km W+E+G
17.5km W+E
20km W+B
21.1km finish

What scenario seems better in terms of carrying/intake/unknown gel?
I can add some cubes to this either to tie me over or to replace the unknown gel if too gross.

Scenario 1:
My gel at 5km, my gel at 10km, my own or the unknown gel at 15km

Scenario 2:
My gel before the start, my gel at 7.5km, my gel at 12.5km, my gel at 17.5km

TIA

I am running Montreal RnR Half-Marathon tomorrow. I have found no information on what type of gel they will provide, nobody knew at the Expo, very strange. Usually, I would have practice at least once with it but now I can’t, I just don’t know. I never had a digestion problem linked to gel, just less energy sometimes.

At least, having run the 5k this morning, I can only presume that the energy/electrolyte drink will be the same, so Orange Gatorade.

So, here is the aid station line-up (Water, E drink, Gel, Banana) And according to the map there is no bathroom whatsoever (!).

2.5km W+E
5km W+E
7.5km W
10km W+E
12.5km W+E
15km W+E+G
17.5km W+E
20km W+B
21.1km finish

I can add some cubes to this either to tie me over or to replace the unknown gel if too gross.

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

TIA

I would just carry the extra gel and not use the on-course gel.

2.5km W+E
5km W+E
7.5km W
10km W+E
12.5km W+E
15km W+E+G
17.5km W+E
20km W+B
21.1km finish

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

TIA

I would just carry my own gels and not take a risk with on course gels during the race. When a race features nutrition I haven’t tried during training what I like to do is carry my own gels for the race and when I pass the race nutrition point(s) I’ll take a sample or two and pocket them. Then I can try them out in a training run later so that I can be prepared if I run across them again at another race.

2.5km W+E
5km W+E
7.5km W
10km W+E
12.5km W+E
15km W+E+G
17.5km W+E
20km W+B
21.1km finish

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

TIA

I just ran RnR Virginia Beach and it was SiS Energy gels. Not sure if they do the same for every race. I had tried 2 before hand with no issues and they seemed to work well. They are not very gel-ish and you don’t need water with them. I would still take my own gel if I were you just in case and use it when you normally would. I did the same at RnR, but took a SiS at the halfway point because I was struggling with the weather.

SiS gels at the RnR Philly Half last weekend too. I didn't try it because I brought my own.

Race Recap: Hudepohl 14K Brewery Run

OMG, how the weather changed overnight for the better--low 60s and overcast. This race has a 7k and 14k option and I did the 14k. I know, instant PR because how often do you run a 14K? It all has to do with the beer theme of the race and series (5K in March, 1 mile in May during Flying Pig Weekend, and then the 7/14k). I have never been able to do this race because of soccer, cross country, or injury. I wanted to use this as a tune up for Chicago and because the Beer Series races are fun. Last year's winning women's time was 58:00. I ran 56:04 (6:27 pace) today and was 7th overall. Although I would have liked to placed, I was happy with my performance. Results are screwed up because they have 3 people who obviously ran the 7k, in the top 10 women's 14k. Trust me, I know exactly who was ahead of me and by how much. I placed first in my age group which is nothing exciting. I won a 6 pack of beer but they said I would have to come back and get it because they didn't have official printout for 14k yet. I asked them if they could roll it to the next person because I couldn't stick around (soccer games). It was yucky Hudepohl beer and the beer snob in me was not waiting for it.

IMG_0377.jpg

I just ran RnR Virginia Beach and it was SiS Energy gels. Not sure if they do the same for every race. I had tried 2 before hand with no issues and they seemed to work well. They are not very gel-ish and you don’t need water with them. I would still take my own gel if I were you just in case and use it when you normally would. I did the same at RnR, but took a SiS at the halfway point because I was struggling with the weather.
Yes, after (a lot) of searching, it seems that SIS have an exclusivity agreement with RnR... But they do not appear to sell in Canada. That would explain the lack of publicity around them.

And thanks for all the advice. I will carry 3 gels plus some cubes and keep the SIS as a future sampler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!