The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: AP for sure. While I enjoyed our stay at BLT, I am not in the hotel room or at the resort for much other than sleeping and getting ready when I am at Disney. I could honestly just camp in a tent at Fort Wilderness and be happy as long as I could go to the parks as much as I wanted.

We are blessed to be DVC already, but if I had to pick, I think I would still choose it. There are years (gasp) that we may choose not to do Disney, although we haven’t done so yet! The flexibility is a big part of why we chose to invest in it. Also, the comment about the member cruise has me thinking about how awesome that would be! Maybe next year!

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: If the cost of DVC and AP (including special event tickets) were the same price, but you can only pick one for life, which would you take?

I'm going to go with the AP and extras.

Speaking of DVC, while DW was riding ToT, I went to visit the DVC stand to ask the cast member what would be the perk of buying while on property v/s at home. Wasn't much, but they said you would get a gift card of some amount and while we toured the resort a cast member would entertain our kids. So for anyone thinking about it, that could be helpful. Once DW I was done with ToT I told her I just signed us up for DVC as a joke. Her reaction was surprising, something like, well you know, its probably not a bad idea at the rate we are going. lol

If I can still purchase park tickets I would go DVC because I can and mostly do plan in advance. As with the extras, I think the AP vs DVC discounts are similar enough I would not notice.

And for LSUlakes, YMMV. We did the tour on-site and got some extra FP for each party member, which was not good on 7DMT (which I still have not been on). Their version of someone entertaining the kids was them in the corner of the room with a coloring book, an iPad, or TV with cartoons. Several years ago at Aulani they did have a proper toy box and we got free dole whip. Both times we were told nothing extra for on the spot signing, which we would never have done anyhow.

So, for full disclosure, I had sweat dripping down my back just from walking from my car to my front door yesterday. You WILL sweat down here, make no mistake! Some folks can be comfortable just wiping down with baby wipes or paper towels and a sink - is that you? If so, go for it: you'll just get sweaty again walking around. Where are the pool showers at AKV? I don't remember there being any other than in the fitness center, and that will require a room key to enter, so something to consider and investigate.

Thanks! I remember walking over to the Kidani pool from AKL and not having to use a magic band to get in, and there being a restroom next to the lockers. Ditto to the main pool area, but I think I read that is still under construction. Maybe showering is less important than I thought.....

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: If the cost of DVC and AP (including special event tickets) were the same price, but you can only pick one for life, which would you take?
ATTQOTD: This question doesn't really make a ton of sense as there are many apples and oranges involved. But if I were to translate to how I understand it: Would I rather have free unlimited park entry (AP) or free unlimited on-site deluxe accommodations that I can rent out when I am not using (DVC), I would definitely take DVC because the value would exponentially cover the value of the AP and all the AP perks.

ATTQOTD: So what is more expensive DVC or AP's for a family of three? I always assumed DVC would be. I guess I'll pick free DVC... which of course would lead to the inevitable AP purchase. We have non park days (boat rentals, backyard BBQs, hours at the pool) in almost every vacation so might as well stay someplace nice if it's free. It is free in this scenario right?

Edited to say I totally missed the whole point of this question. Haha. Ignore me

Hope you enjoyed your Savannah trip!
We had such a fun trip! A great way to celebrate my mom's 60th bday! Thanks :)

ATTQOTD: AP for sure. While I enjoyed our stay at BLT, I am not in the hotel room or at the resort for much other than sleeping and getting ready when I am at Disney. I could honestly just camp in a tent at Fort Wilderness and be happy as long as I could go to the parks as much as I wanted.
^^ This is how I feel... give me all of the parks!

Wasn't there like a rundisney DVC offer a year or two back where you could pre-book a specific weekend? I wonder how many people actually signed up for that. (Am I remembering this correctly, that happened right?)

Wasn't there like a rundisney DVC offer a year or two back where you could pre-book a specific weekend? I wonder how many people actually signed up for that. (Am I remembering this correctly, that happened right?)

Yep, DVC members can register early for the runDisney runs.

Yes, they were offering it this past January. I don't know the details but I think it was basically buying points specific to race weekends so there would be some guarantee you would get accommodations.
I didn't stop to ask because I have trouble saying no to sales people.

Oh right. I was thinking where they offered people the chance to sign up for DVC to have a hotel room for a specific rundisney weekend in perpituity. It seemed like an odd offer.

You remember correctly. It came out right after Marathon Weekend one year. I think it was 2017, but it could have been 2018 given my failing memory. I remember thinking it was a really odd offer that required a lot of commitment to a specific race weekend.

Oh right. I was thinking where they offered people the chance to sign up for DVC to have a hotel room for a specific rundisney weekend in perpituity. It seemed like an odd offer.

This is a thing, yes. You can do the guaranteed week option (buy 10% more points and you get to pre-reserve a specific week every year) but instead of it being the same calendar week it's 'whatever weekend has a given runDisney event'. So you could reserve Star Wars weekend and be fine whenever they move it to to avoid spring break. It also includes early registration, but it's unclear if that's the same DVC early registration or something special for these purchasers.

It's only available when buying direct, and only at Copper Creek right now.

I have no information whether anybody uses it or whether they intend to expand it to other resorts as they get built.

QOTD: Fall officially starts on Saturday! The end of the brutal summer runs should be coming to a end soon. Per your weather forecast, when (if it hasnt already happened) will you get some relief from the heat? What do you consider temp wise to be relief?

Fall started here in Montana a couple weeks ago! We had another false fall before that, though, so I'm not entirely sure I trust it even though it's stuck around for a bit now. We've been topping out in the 50s and 60s and it's been rainy, but thankfully no floods or hail storms so far (knock on wood!). This is usually the time of year we get those if they're going to happen. It's been in the low 40s when I get up for my run, so juuuuust warm enough that I'm still out in my summer gear, but I'm coming up against that winter deadline to get better layers for those morning runs. I've discovered 45-50 is my ideal.

As for today's QotD...probably DVC. Park tickets get cheaper per day on long stays; resorts don't. And since I tend to travel either alone or with one other person, the resort is a bigger cost concern than the tickets. Bit of a pain having to plan that far in advance, though....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter