The Running Thread - 2018

Hey everyone! It is forever since I posted but I wanted to start becoming part of this community so here I am! I started running about three years ago, and did my first half marathon at the inaugural Star Wars Dark Side. I have run four halves since, and completed the Disney World marathon in January.

I am pretty slow (halves in the 2:25 range) but love it. It is not too bad here in the Badger state right now, with highs in the upper sixties to low 70's...but we had record rains a few weeks ago and the mosquitos have been UNBELIEVABLE. I had a few bit me through my pants the other day, so the last couple of runs have been on the treadmill in the basement. I have one more half this year, which is Halloween weekend.

I hope to get to know some of you so the next time I go to a Disney run, I have some folks to meet up with! So far I have been a solo runner.

On Wisconsin! Got a few of us WI folks on here so maybe we'll run some similar races. Maybe Last Call HM (@pixarmom and @mateojr) or First Call HM (right @jennamfeo?)?

Hey everyone! It is forever since I posted but I wanted to start becoming part of this community so here I am! I started running about three years ago, and did my first half marathon at the inaugural Star Wars Dark Side. I have run four halves since, and completed the Disney World marathon in January.

I am pretty slow (halves in the 2:25 range) but love it. It is not too bad here in the Badger state right now, with highs in the upper sixties to low 70's...but we had record rains a few weeks ago and the mosquitos have been UNBELIEVABLE. I had a few bit me through my pants the other day, so the last couple of runs have been on the treadmill in the basement. I have one more half this year, which is Halloween weekend.

I hope to get to know some of you so the next time I go to a Disney run, I have some folks to meet up with! So far I have been a solo runner.

Welcome to the thread!

QOTD: The Berlin Marathon was ran over the weekend, and a new world record was set for the race by a large margin. The old record was 2:02:57, Mr. Eliud Kipchoge ran it in 2:01:39, taking nearly a 1 minute and 20 seconds off the previous record. If I recall correctly he was part of the nike sub 2 project. So far todays question I wanted to revisit the question of do you think a sub 2 hour marathon is possible, and if you do, how many years until someone does it?

Absolutely. If I recall correctly, I had estimated we would see a sub-2:00 Marathon 10-15 years. I still feel now more than ever we will see a sub-2:00 marathon within the next ten years. I mean, we are 1 min and 40 seconds away from a sub-2:00 and I do predict if it happens at an official race, it will be Berlin.

Thanks everybody! Dopey, I am running the Hot Cider Trot in GB on October 28th. Starting to think about runs for next year, probably no Disney runs unfortunately, unless we sneak away for a quick one for Star Wars. Recommendations are more than welcome!

Actually, both of those sound pretty good! How has the weather been in past years?

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 6.31.45 AM.png

Looks like 20-40s on those dates the last few years at the time of the race. I used weather underground as a source. That specific location doesn't seem to be accounting for historical wind, so the wind chill could be a bit lower.

QOTD: Fall officially starts on Saturday! The end of the brutal summer runs should be coming to a end soon. Per your weather forecast, when (if it hasnt already happened) will you get some relief from the heat? What do you consider temp wise to be relief?

ATTQOTD: Per the weather channel I have another week or not so fun running weather. A bit cooler that it has been, but not by much. It looks like our first front will make its way to us around September 28 with lows for the next few days 60-65 range and highs 80-85 range. The most important part of this is, lower RH%!!!! I can not wait! I have a race in two weeks and I've fallen off the training wagon with work being crazy before Disney, being at Disney, and a bad case of the dont wants so far this week. Relief from the heat will be what they are forecasting, although I like it even colder. Speaking of cold, all the ole tales of things to look far indicate a very cold winter for Louisiana. Fingers crossed!

It appears that fall weather might have finally arrived here in MA but we could still get some hot days thrown in here and there. Anyway from 40-60' I find to be great running weather as long as there is no humidity.

With the arrival is @natsalways (welcome) it reminded me last year when I called out the lurkers to join the thread and we got a bunch of new people to join us. So, if you are a lurker and you are reading this. Join in and tell us your story. If you haven't figured it out already, we don't care if you're just starting out and don't think you are a "runner" yet, or that you might not be "fast enough". In fact, this would be when you need the support the most. Pop your head in and say hi. We are just a bunch of people who love running and love Disney. Nothing to be afraid of. :D

View attachment 352773

Looks like 20-40s on those dates the last few years at the time of the race. I used weather underground as a source. That specific location doesn't seem to be accounting for historical wind, so the wind chill could be a bit lower.
I can do the 40’s with what I currently have, but anything colder than that would require me to gear up a bit!

It appears that fall weather might have finally arrived here in MA but we could still get some hot days thrown in here and there. Anyway from 40-60' I find to be great running weather as long as there is no humidity.

With the arrival is @natsalways (welcome) it reminded me last year when I called out the lurkers to join the thread and we got a bunch of new people to join us. So, if you are a lurker and you are reading this. Join in and tell us your story. If you haven't figured it out already, we don't care if you're just starting out and don't think you are a "runner" yet, or that you might not be "fast enough". In fact, this would be when you need the support the most. Pop your head in and say hi. We are just a bunch of people who love running and love Disney. Nothing to be afraid of. :D

Thanks Waiting! I certainly could have used the encouragement a couple of years ago when I first started. Great screen name, btw. Today is the day for us! We are off to WDW on the 6:00 flight out of Chicago!

I am pretty slow (halves in the 2:25 range) but love it.

Per the first post on the thread, it is fine if you are slow,it is fine if you are fast (2:25 is fast for some!), it is the last portion of the above statement that tends to land people here. It is also fine if you do not currently love running, sometimes we struggle with getting out of bed in the dark, rain, heat, busyness of life. I'm glad you are here posting or lurking!

Question regarding Disney and running: I am going to a fun run in Orlando in a couple of weeks. I assume I will be sweaty even though it is just for fun, and may not even be chipped. I have about an hour from the finish to park open, and 4 hours until I need to leave for the airport. I want to spend all time in the parks, of course! Do I (1) try to shower at the AKK-Kidani pool because I do not think anyone will check if I am staying at AKL, I think I could get in, and it is close to where I will be running (2) skip the shower thinking everyone in FL will be sweaty anyhow and the people on the plane next to me can just hold their nose? Skipping the parks to go back to friend's house to shower seems like a sad option 3 that I do not want to be an option, do not shame me into it.
Side note, I sent friend a list of the rides I have not yet completed at WDW and it was longer than I expected. It also became clear that I have not ridden many things which require the rider to be above 30". I need all the park time I can get!

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: If the cost of DVC and AP (including special event tickets) were the same price, but you can only pick one for life, which would you take?

I'm going to go with the AP and extras.

Speaking of DVC, while DW was riding ToT, I went to visit the DVC stand to ask the cast member what would be the perk of buying while on property v/s at home. Wasn't much, but they said you would get a gift card of some amount and while we toured the resort a cast member would entertain our kids. So for anyone thinking about it, that could be helpful. Once DW I was done with ToT I told her I just signed us up for DVC as a joke. Her reaction was surprising, something like, well you know, its probably not a bad idea at the rate we are going. lol

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: If the cost of DVC and AP (including special event tickets) were the same price, but you can only pick one for life, which would you take?

I wish DVC and AP were the same price! I think if I had to pick just one then I would go for DVC. I would still buy park tickets, hopefully discounted, but I probably wouldn't pay to stay in the DVC resorts. I love the Deluxe Resort experience, but I'm too cheap to pay for it :)

ATTQOTD: I don't understand today's question regarding can only choose 1... Does this mean I can only choose to visit the parks, or the resorts? If so, as cool as Disney resorts are, give me rides. And if that's not what you meant, I still choose AP, cause then I could go EVERY DAY, unless the DVC membership is for 15000 points :)

Question regarding Disney and running: I am going to a fun run in Orlando in a couple of weeks. I assume I will be sweaty even though it is just for fun, and may not even be chipped. I have about an hour from the finish to park open, and 4 hours until I need to leave for the airport. I want to spend all time in the parks, of course! Do I (1) try to shower at the AKK-Kidani pool because I do not think anyone will check if I am staying at AKL, I think I could get in, and it is close to where I will be running (2) skip the shower thinking everyone in FL will be sweaty anyhow and the people on the plane next to me can just hold their nose? Skipping the parks to go back to friend's house to shower seems like a sad option 3 that I do not want to be an option, do not shame me into it.
Side note, I sent friend a list of the rides I have not yet completed at WDW and it was longer than I expected. It also became clear that I have not ridden many things which require the rider to be above 30". I need all the park time I can get!
So, for full disclosure, I had sweat dripping down my back just from walking from my car to my front door yesterday. You WILL sweat down here, make no mistake! Some folks can be comfortable just wiping down with baby wipes or paper towels and a sink - is that you? If so, go for it: you'll just get sweaty again walking around. Where are the pool showers at AKV? I don't remember there being any other than in the fitness center, and that will require a room key to enter, so something to consider and investigate.

ATTQOTD: Oh that's easy - AP! I live 90 miles from WDW and sold my DVC years ago because I couldn't plan trips on short notice anymore.

Well assuming it's not a choice of resorts over parks, then I choose DVC. We really do love staying on property, but the price is just crazy, so while we do it some, I always have a hard time justifying the price for deluxe accommodations. We can already get steeply discounted tickets through the military discounts and can then convert those to AP if we so choose.

ATTQOTD: DVC. I have both currently, not sure if we will renew the AP next year. I love being DVC and I love the extras with it. I took the member cruise this year and got to meet Pete Docter and Michael Giacchino. That was awesome. So I will keep my DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter