The Running Thread - 2018

Thanks! More confusing than the variations in definition of 'tempo' is the lack of definition for 'running base' or 'base mileage.' I imagine no handy chart exists, but is there a range of values to which people are referring?

For running base, I think consistency is more important than the exact mileage. If you are running 3-4 days per week consistently for a few months, then you have a good running base. The base mileage may only be 10 miles per week or it may be 25 miles per week, but your body has become used to the periodic stress of running. The mileage does matter, however, for what you do next. If you have been training at 10 miles per week, you don't want to jump into a training program that starts at 20 miles per week. The rule of thumb is to increase total mileage by no more than 10% per week.

ATTQOTD: Sorry to be gross, but I'm with the group who worry about having bowel troubles on the race course. It hasn't happened to me on a race yet but it sure has happened to me more than once on training runs. I'd really hate to lose time in the porta potty on a race where I'm trying for a specific time. I have a sinking feeling this will happen to me eventually, though....

always carry TP. because it's a universal law that the one time you MUST do this business there will be no TP. thus, it follows, if you always carry TP, this will never happen.

seriously, though. always carry TP.

Thanks! More confusing than the variations in definition of 'tempo' is the lack of definition for 'running base' or 'base mileage.' I imagine no handy chart exists, but is there a range of values to which people are referring?
For me, "base mileage" is what I'm running when I'm not specifically training for something. So, by way of example, I haven't been training for anything over the summer, just running my "base" mileage, which is 4-mile short runs and a 8-10-mile long run each week. My "base" is my starting point from which I'll build when training for a race. But I also built up to my current base over a number of years. A while back, my base was a couple 3-mile runs and a 6 mile long run.

ATTQOTD:
A few weeks before - the typical "mara-noia"....injuring myself enough to not be able to run
A few days before - what time to I have to be at the start line and what the weather will be on race day
The night before - "why can't I get to sleep!"
Morning of - getting coffee early enough to make sure it's digestive magic is completed before race time and making sure my bladder is empty prior to starting (a porta-potty stop during my 1st 1/2 cost me a sub 2 hour 1/2)

For running base, I think consistency is more important than the exact mileage. If you are running 3-4 days per week consistently for a few months, then you have a good running base. The base mileage may only be 10 miles per week or it may be 25 miles per week, but your body has become used to the periodic stress of running. The mileage does matter, however, for what you do next. If you have been training at 10 miles per week, you don't want to jump into a training program that starts at 20 miles per week. The rule of thumb is to increase total mileage by no more than 10% per week.

Totally agree. Base is whatever you do on a regular, consistent basis. When starting a plan, I recommend to friends just beginning to train that they should be able to run the mileage of week 2 or 3 consistently for a few weeks (because sometimes week 1 is pretty light - I'm looking at you Higdon Novice Marathon I).

The 10% rule is good in theory, but leaves a bit to be desired in practice. If you stick to it hard and fast, you go from 10 miles in a week to 20 miles after 9 weeks. I think just keeping it realistic is fine. Going from 10 to 13 miles is just adding an extra mile a day or another day of running. Don't jump from 10-20 in a week, unless you were used to running 20 prior.

ATTQOTD: pre race jitters include worrying about getting to packet pickup in time ( I do a lot of out of town races), what to eat the day before a race, and will I be having stomach issues during the run? Hello Porta-potties!!

I also worry about forgetting something like sunglasses, hat, gels, towel, phone, etc. Because I usually do.

always carry TP. because it's a universal law that the one time you MUST do this business there will be no TP. thus, it follows, if you always carry TP, this will never happen.

seriously, though. always carry TP.

Thanks! Really I'm just hoping the one time I MUST do this business, there's a porta potty close by!

I think I have seen only Galloway focus solely on time/distance and not worry about pace.

Others have covered it well. I'll add one thing. Galloway does have a pace recommendation on his runDisney HM and M plans (it does look like the 10k plan doesn't specifically call out paces but rather "as fast or slow as long as recovering from the weekend long ones"). Almost every run is to be done at current fitness marathon pace (or sometimes HM pace) + 2 minutes. Since he suggests the walking pace be comfortable (so a fixed value individual to a person) and walking duration be 30 seconds (fixed value in most of his recommendations), then the only adjustable variables are the run pace and run duration. Galloway also suggests using the same run duration for your marathon pace (or HM pace) and your MP+2 min (sometimes he says this and other times it's absent). So if he fixes your run duration, walk duration, walk pace, then the only manipulatable variable is run pace. To achieve a MP+2 min, the only way to do it is to slow down the run pace. Not surprisingly, in order to achieve this that puts your run pace in the almost purely aerobic zone based on a MP+2 min. It's a round about way of achieving a pace recommendation without outright saying one.

Some science for run/walk methodology

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 2.22.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 2.23.44 PM.png

Attachments

• runDisney-Half-Beginner-Training-Plan.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 4
What me worry?

If you recognize that quote then you are probably as old as I am. At this point in my running "career" I really don't worry about anything...especially those things I cannot control. Injuries, sickness, bad weather, cancelled flights, etc. may or may not happen, and I simply am not going to waste energy worrying about them.

I do lay out everything i"m going to wear or bring to a race the night before, so that eliminates the potential worry about forgetting something important. And even then, what's really all that critically important to bring? I could race with just shoes, shorts, and my bib if I had to. Hey, that might even be fun to try sometime (maybe add socks)

Last edited:
QOTD: What do you worry most about before a race? What could go wrong that would have the biggest impact on your race?

Something going wrong during the race - cramp, injury, etc. You never know how your body will respond until you're out there on the day, and I worry it won't respond as planned.

Very excited. I have my new Saucony Guide ISO's (replacing my worn Saucony Guide 9's) and already have 6 miles on them...

I haven't even started marathon training for January (which will be my first full!) and I am already over 210 miles for the year. Considering that I've never done over 200 miles in any calendar year before, I am happy with that!

ATTQOTD:
I worry about several things at different times.
Weeks before, I worry about injury or sickness especially since there is so much vested with travel, money and time for Disney races.
The day of. . Getting up in time and hoping my gut stays happy.
I am traveling from the Southwest so weather is less of an issue with regards to arriving for marathon weekend.
I have trained in all kinds of weather so I will not be worrying about race day weather. I will be bummed if it rains hard because I really dislike running all wet.

I was all excited!

For running base, I think consistency is more important than the exact mileage. If you are running 3-4 days per week consistently for a few months, then you have a good running base. .

For me, "base mileage" is what I'm running when I'm not specifically training for something. So, by way of example, I haven't been training for anything over the summer, just running my "base" mileage, which is 4-mile short runs and a 8-10-mile long run each week. My "base" is my starting point from which I'll build when training for a race. But I also built up to my current base over a number of years. A while back, my base was a couple 3-mile runs and a 6 mile long run.

Totally agree. Base is whatever you do on a regular, consistent basis.

I run regularly. I have consistently been running 2-4x/week. My short runs are 5ks, and 6 miles happens when it is not 98% RH! This sounds like the magical base!
:dancer:
So excited.
And then this
Others have covered it well. I'll add one thing. Galloway does have a pace recommendation on his runDisney HM and M plans (it does look like the 10k plan doesn't specifically call out paces but rather "as fast or slow as long as recovering from the weekend long ones"). Almost every run is to be done at current fitness marathon pace (or sometimes HM pace) + 2 minutes. Since he suggests the walking pace be comfortable (so a fixed value individual to a person) and walking duration be 30 seconds (fixed value in most of his recommendations), then the only adjustable variables are the run pace and run duration. Galloway also suggests using the same run duration for your marathon pace (or HM pace) and your MP+2 min (sometimes he says this and other times it's absent). So if he fixes your run duration, walk duration, walk pace, then the only manipulatable variable is run pace. To achieve a MP+2 min, the only way to do it is to slow down the run pace. Not surprisingly, in order to achieve this that puts your run pace in the almost purely aerobic zone based on a MP+2 min. It's a round about way of achieving a pace recommendation without outright saying one.
Killing me with the pace targets. I got no pace.
is there a sigh emoji?

Last edited:
Boca Hawaii - Norman Tamanaha 15k Race Recap

The Boca Hawaii - Norman Tamanaha 15k is part of the Honolulu marathon readiness series. The five races in that series end up covering the course of the Honolulu Marathon.
http://808racehawaii.com/races/boca-hawaii-norman-tamanaha-15k/

When planning our family trip to Hawaii, I had overlooked the idea of adding a race to our vacation. It came to me after having booked all internal flights and hotels. The only race coinciding with our plans (right island at the right time) was this one and Google Map showed it at 4 minutes walk from our hotel (Hyatt Place Waikiki) so I could no resist registering.

Registration online was simple. We had a car so we picked up my bib from the Boca Hawaii store which was pretty far for us (25 minutes of Friday traffic). In the end, some people were picking up their bib the morning of.

On race day, I got ready, had breakfast at 4:30AM and grabbed a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. I walked to the park and found the location of the start pretty easily. I put the provided tracker on my ankle. There was coffee, sunscreen and it was pretty quiet in the night. A 5:30AM start was available for walkers. At 5:40AM, there was a small lineup for the porta-potty so I decided to go back to the hotel instead... We were that close! Quick warmup run back to the starting line and at 6AM off we went.

This 15k race starts in West Waikiki, go on the road between the shore and Diamond Head and turns around Kahala Mall to come back to the Kapiolani Park. The scenery is nice, the course has a bit of hills but nothing drastic and there is a lot of police for security. At that hour, there is no spectators beside a few rare relatives and friends of the 558 participants. However, there are other runners doing their morning training and surfers trying to catch their first waves for that day. There were three well located aid stations with water and Gatorade.
3335D4A9-EA0D-4EC7-BD24-96DC4687DDC2.jpeg

I had a surprise towards the last mile: My husband came to encourage me and take some action photos! That was a first and what a boost!

The finish line was well organized with plenty of water, fruits and pastries. I was really sad that there were no finisher medals: This race is really for locals and their training, being a tourist/international runner here is the exception. I wish there would have been an option to buy the neck ribbon that they used on the superb medal given for overall and age groups winners. I will have memories of my only race in that State but none hanging on my walls, I am not fast enough for Hawaiians!

I ran 15k in 1:27:22 and placed in the first 40% overall and 30% in gender/age groups. This was a PR because it was my first time running that distance and, even if I had no goal officially, I really wanted to stay under my endurance speed pace overall, which I did, averaging my marathon pace.

Post race celebration turned out to be a visit to the Dole Plantation where we shared the best Dole Whip Float and Dole Whip with pineapple chunks ever!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Beside sickness and injury, I mostly worry about setting a goal before a race. And how I will handle not succeding when it happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter