The Running Thread - 2018

Doesn't just about everything taste better at Disneyland?

Ive been to WDW more times than I can count, but have only been to DL twice. The difference in food quality between the two was one of the big things that stood out to me. Granted, I’m only really comparing counter service here, but the food at DL was significantly better. Not to mention the glorious revelation that I could get my clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at DL! I’ve been around long enough to watch the WDW clam chowder go from bread bowl to plastic bowl to paper cup over the years. :sad: It’s the small things, I know...

Ive been to WDW more times than I can count, but have only been to DL twice. The difference in food quality between the two was one of the big things that stood out to me. Granted, I’m only really comparing counter service here, but the food at DL was significantly better. Not to mention the glorious revelation that I could get my clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at DL! I’ve been around long enough to watch the WDW clam chowder go from bread bowl to plastic bowl to paper cup over the years. :sad: It’s the small things, I know...
I believe a lot of this has to do with the average visitor data. The average visitor to Disneyland is from southern California and visits Disneyland frequently. At least once a year. So in order to entice them to come back, Disneyland offers a wide variety of food choices and often tends to choose foods that fit the land they're in. So New Orleans Square has cajun food, Frontierland has a mix of western and Mexican, Fantasyland offers bratwurst, Tomorrowland has pizza, pasta, and salads, burgers and fries (not exactly futuristic, but different from the rest of the park), and Main Street USA offers American comfort food. Disney California Adventure is similar. Pacific Wharf alone offers seafood, Chinese food, and Mexican food. The pasta and pizza area offers flavors beyond the standard. They also offer a decent variety of different ethnic cuisines.

While the Disneyland resort also offers plenty of the chicken tenders, hot dogs, et all, it is very possible at Disneyland for the kids to get that stuff and the adults to get different fare.

Meanwhile the average visitor to Disney World is goes once every five years or so at max. Some are only there once. Obviously, World Showcase and Animal Kingdom offer some great table service options, but in my opinion, Disneyland has some great table service choices too. It may not offer the volume of table service choices that Disney World does, but it does all right for itself.

QOTD: Do you find that the exact same snack from one park to another is not always the same? If so, which snack, which parks, and which one is better?
ATTQOTD: I don’t buy snacks very often at the parks. When I have, I haven’t noticed much difference between the same snack from park to park.

Was supposed to hike the Appalachian Trail today with my DH and my running friend. Running friend has a trip to hike in the Grand Canyon, but he mostly runs on roads and trails, so I said he should do a few practice hikes. Well last night DH got sick so no hiking today. Running friend says, hey not hiking I found a trail race want to do it? Am like sure why not. I hike on trails but run on roads. I have done maybe 3 trail runs but sure why not. Have to say it was really fun, and I finished second in my age group. I only managed to face plant twice. Thankfully no real damage maybe a bruise to my knee and ego as I had witnesses for both trips.

Hopefully going to get that hike in tomorrow. We only have about 12 miles, but it’s 24 because we go out and back, to finish the whole thing in GA. It’s three more hikes even if we skip this weekend can still finish before Chicago Marathon
D3D06302-4B20-4C51-8AB4-008FAE05B9D3.jpeg

Congrats!
I don't think I've ever seen a local race with an actual podium finish. I'm not sure I could make the step up (or down) after a race.

I do some of the Dirty Spokes races near NE Ga, and I always have to get someone to give me a hand getting up on the podium! As I get older, making the podium in the smaller races is easier than getting up on it, especially if there are only 1-3 in my age group! :rotfl2:

PS: I ran into a spiderweb during mile 7 tonight and it was on my knee and leg and then felt it everywhere. I told my husband and now he wants me to sleep outside.

Count yourself lucky if it was on your knee! We have Orbweaver spiders that like to build these webs across sidewalks at eye level. They build them at night stretching from a tree limb on one side to a road sign on the other and they’re impossible to see in the dark. It is not fun to catch one of these right in the face, regardless of whether the builder is present or not! :sad2:

web4b.jpg

Count yourself lucky if it was on your knee! We have Orbweaver spiders that like to build these webs across sidewalks at eye level. They build them at night stretching from a tree limb on one side to a road sign on the other and they’re impossible to see in the dark. It is not fun to catch one of these right in the face, regardless of whether the builder is present or not! :sad2:

web4b.jpg

Ahhhhhhh! That is freaky.
I did get the builder on my leg so at least I had a running companion for a few seconds.

@camaker - took one of those spiderwebs right in the face yesterday morning! Felt like it took forever to get off.

@LSUlakes finally getting around to add my upcoming races. Thank you for adding these to the list!

8/18 - Baxter24 - Derek Davis 5k (NG/ N/A)
11/4 - baxter24 - City of Oaks 10 (goal 59:59 or under)
11/10 - Baxter24 - Richmond marathon (goal under 5 hrs)

1/12 - Baxter24 - WDW Half marathon (NG/ N/A) Goofy
1/13 - Baxter24 - WDW marathon (NG/ N/A) Goofy

For science:
I did 7 miles last night outside at a slightly slower pace than the 7 miles I will be doing on a treadmill shortly. But how much longer will it feel despite my pace being quicker?
Since every treadmill mile feels equivalent to at least 3 outdoor miles...then I'm basically doing a 21 miler tonight. Does my math hold up?

(I'm kidding...kind of)

you have to enable the elevation correction in the activity itself. i looked around quite a bit and it seems this is not a setting you can permanently set. you will need to do it for each individual activity. (my forerunner 35 did it automatically)

View attachment 342614

i believe there is also an elevation correction option for each activity in strava as well.

I'm just catching up on this thread since I've been on vacation.

I also have a Vivoactive 3. Do you mean that this can only be set through the desktop app, i.e., the Windows or Mac app? This is very frustrating, since nearly everything else is accessible via the watch settings or the mobile app. I run linux on all my computers and don't really have easy access to the Windows or Mac version of Garmin Connect.

Do you know if the "elevation corrections" just changes the baseline level - that is, just raises all of the values up or down - or if there is a second-order level of corrections?

I am especially curious because I just ran the same route two days in a row. It's an out-and-back that's all downhill on the way out and all uphill on the way back. Yesterday my elevation gain was about 140 ft and today it was 190 ft. That's a big difference!

This video has nothing to do with running, but it is super cute.

Now I want to know why Rhino the hamster from Bolt wasn't in the video. He absolutely steals that movie.

I have a shoe related question.

So I bought a new pair of running shoes in January. I like them, but have also learned that they work great for anything around a 10K, but not as well for longer runs. This isn't an issue since I rotate another pair of running shoes for my longer runs. But that pair is nearing the end of its run and I don't want to use them for the marathon. So I bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday with the hope that they will be my marathon shoes come January. However before then, I'd love to give them a good test to make sure they will work for a half or full.

If I start training with these new shoes tomorrow, will I have sufficiently broken them in to run a half marathon about a month out from now? I think I've read that's enough time, but I wanted more feedback before I commit to this pair for next month's half.

If I start training with these new shoes tomorrow, will I have sufficiently broken them in to run a half marathon about a month out from now? I think I've read that's enough time, but I wanted more feedback before I commit to this pair for next month's half.

I think it depends on the shoe. I've had shoes that I could run a half in them after a week or so, and I've had shoes that took a few weeks. Most likely a month will be fine, but definitely listen to your body and see how you feel in these shoes as it gets closer to the race.

This week we have the following folks with races, and one race listed that I somehow messed up the username. If its your race, please let me know so I can correct it.

09 - ???? - Midsummer Night 5k (NG / N/A)
12 - @flav - Waikiki Boca Hawaii Tamanaha 15k (NG / N/A)
12 - @michigandergirl - Go Rogue Run 3.5 mi/Kayak 3.5 mi (NG / N/A)
12 - @derekleigh - City on the Lakes Triathlon Sprint (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you! If you need to revise your goal or have some other change that needs to be made, just let me know. If anyone else has a race that they would like to add to the list, let me know and I will add it! Good luck and we look forward to hearing how your race goes!

1st triathlon sprint is in the books!

Swim - 7:09
Bike - 1:10:19
Run - 24:58
Overall time = 1:49:29.9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter