The Running Thread - 2018

I noticed that after just one swimming day, running felt better and easier. Possibly it loosened up some tight muscles or more likely, it just felt good to be doing a familiar exercise, rather than an unfamiliar one.
Yes!! I definitely think swimming helped to keep my foot and ankle loose during my forced run hiatus while immobilizing the foot in that blasted boot. And don't worry: swimming will get easier and more enjoyable in no time! When I started swimming a few times a week, I was feeling rather out of breath and frustrated after a short time in the water, but decided to take the sound advice offered by several ppl here (thank you, guys!) and took a few lessons with a tri coach...absolutely worth every penny. At the beginning, and I will quote my coach here, she said: "You have the basics, but it's like you aren't really getting anywhere." And that's exactly how I felt. =P With her lessons, and practice, I am now comfortable in a lake for short distances! Still a long way to go, but it's a start! Glad you are enjoying retirement and going all in on this one, @OldSlowGoofyGuy!

ATTQOTD: I do what is on my DB plan so see above to his detailed response. I did a progression run not too long ago (does that count?) and it looked insanely daunting on the page but during it I had to keep telling myself each subsequent lap would be over with sooner than the last. There's days I LOVE speedwork and days where I just fight the whole way through it. I do like the variety on my current plan for the hard days.
If it's gonna be hard, at least it'll be different kinds of hard?

ATTQOTD: In the past I've always trained at a continuous slow speed good enough to finish. And all that time I thought I was using run/walk/run when I really just running between 14-16 minutes per mile. And then I started a @DopeyBadger plan and began to unlearn everything I had learned. I'm still working on understanding the methodology. The trust part is more like semi blind faith right now, but there's only one way to truly gain that trust. Experience. And maybe he's not even having me do speed work yet. More like he's preparing me for greater goals down the road.

My speed work: there's a character stop up ahead and I decide to sprint to it. :stitch2:
Or I push myself to go faster because I just took in some character stops and want to make sure I don't miss out on some great ones later on.

ATTQOTD: I do what my DB plan. This whole training plan that I started in May has been speed work. I've been doing strides, Daniels R, Daniels T, Daniels I (these are tough) & Tempo workouts. Some of them are HARD and sometimes I'm cursing in my head, but when I'm done I'm so proud of myself :)

@Keels As much as surgery sucks all around, if it was me I'd probably just get it done. Did they say why you have a bone spur? Is it from the pins/screws?

@Keels As much as surgery sucks all around, if it was me I'd probably just get it done. Did they say why you have a bone spur? Is it from the pins/screws?

So, the OG diagnosis when I started this whole thing was that at some point, I suffered a non-displaced fracture in my heel (you can actually see the fracture line by one of the screws) sometime last year - I’m guessing either W&D or Ragnar, but the screw ultimately held it together. There was a LOT of inflammation, so x-rays and an MRI couldn’t get a real clear view of what was going on in relation to my Achilles where I’ve been having most of the pain. I did a cortisone injection and was (mostly) non-weight bearing for over a week and then yesterday they did another x-ray and the Hagland’s deformity was there clear as day, with a secondary area of concern that was probably causing my bursitis as far back as January.

So, it could’ve been caused by me changing up how I plant on my heel because of the fracture, or it could just be the result of how my foot has adapted in the 18 years since my last reconstructive surgery.

We are swimming twins! But I can't even open my eyes under water and since I doubt dog paddling is possible in the swim portion I doubt a tri is EVER in my future!

ETA: I do own a very high end mountain bike. Of course it is over 20 years old and I haven't ridden it in probably that long, lol.

Omg I remember you getting those bikes. I feel so old.

Going back to the money question, I think I'm going with house staff. A chef to make all my meals for me so I don't just go get wraps/chips or some other kind of takeout when I don't feel like cooking, which let's be honest, is most every night. A maid or 10 to keep the house cleaned. And a personal trainer.

THIS is my biggest "problem" but since I refuse to change, I refuse to see it as a problem. But I was never properly taught how to breathe on both sides, so I am a one sided breather. I joined a master swim club when I was training for my first Tri and my coach would get on my case about it but I just can't fix it now.

I know it's hard, but breathing on both sides is a very valuable skill to learn if you're going to be swimming or competing in open water. For one, you'll have the ability to breathe on the side away from the waves, avoiding fighting the ocean when you are trying to grab a breath. Two, it provides balance to your stroke and body.

Another is http://www.swimsmooth.com/

QOTD: I'm looking for different type of speed work ideas these days. So for todays question I want to ask you to tell us about your speed work routine. How often you do them, different types, which ones you hate to do but feel good about after doing it.

I do my speed work all out on the track. Usually 400/200/100 with slow walking in between. I used to be able to hit the low 10's in the 100 and probably could have been below 10.1 had I actually ran track but those days are behind me.

THIS is my biggest "problem" but since I refuse to change, I refuse to see it as a problem. But I was never properly taught how to breathe on both sides, so I am a one sided breather. I joined a master swim club when I was training for my first Tri and my coach would get on my case about it but I just can't fix it now.

The coach I had my private and group classes with also thought this was important if you are going to do open water but he considered it a secondary skill. His advice is work on positioning and rotation breathing to the preferred side and work out your mechanics then work on two sided breathing. The majority of the time the reason we find breathing to our weaker side difficult is that we are not rotating enough to that side.

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: Do you find that the exact same snack from one park to another is not always the same? If so, which snack, which parks, and which one is better?

ATTQOTD: Dole whip. The two parks are Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and I prefer the Animal Kingdom version. It's also a plus that you can add rum to it at AK as well, but beside that the one in AK just tasted better even without the rum. It also seemed to be a darker yellow and a little different consistency. Maybe they are not supposed to be the same thing and thats why. I like them both, but AK is #1 for me.

QOTD: Do you find that the exact same snack from one park to another is not always the same? If so, which snack, which parks, and which one is better?
Dole whip is just better at MK mainly because that’s where it originated and now it’s everywhere. As for other things like a pretzel and such those are all the same. I like each park for their unique items not the things that are everywhere.

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD: Do you find that the exact same snack from one park to another is not always the same? If so, which snack, which parks, and which one is better?
I dont have a favorite that's the same in each park. I like looking for snacks that are more unique to each park.

ATTQOTD:

As I’ve probably written too many times to number, I love soft serve ice cream (I realize it is nothing special. What can I say? I’m a cheap date). I don’t find any difference across the parks and I will say Disney’s soft serve has good flavor and consistency to my somewhat refined soft serve palate.

ETA: I got a twist waffle cone from Oasis Canteen before going into an 11 AM showing of Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular last January in 40 degree temps. I was the only person in line not getting hot chocolate. I may have a problem.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter