The Running Thread - 2018

That name seems correct. No way I would do that.

So, back in the WAY olden days ... if you were headed West (California, Wyoming, wherever) - Funkytown was your last BIG town to stop in. Basically, we were like the BIGGEST party town - boozes, shoot-outs, hookers, gambling, you name it. Plus, The Fort was also a perfect place for bad guys to hide out. The White Elephant Saloon still exists in the Stockyards, and most of Hell's Half-Acre is our downtown area now. We still have twice-daily cattle drives in the Stockyards too.

ATTQOTD: I am pretty resistant to cold. In warmer weather, I go as light as possible so tank top and capri. Still shopping for short/skirt.

Bonus: I am a social tea drinker: If at an Asian restaurant, I’ll drink the provided tea, if at Starbucks with friends, I’ll take a tea as refill after my latte, if colleagues are having David’s tea, I’ll join them and if DH wan’t a decaf tea at night, I’ll have a tisane with him. In top of funky tisane and traditional tea, I like chai tea. Earl Grey is with sugar and a bit of milk. Finally, I have great memories of High Teas moments: Scones, jam, clotted cream, cucumber sandwices and tartelettes.

So, back in the WAY olden days ... if you were headed West (California, Wyoming, wherever) - Funkytown was your last BIG town to stop in. Basically, we were like the BIGGEST party town - boozes, shoot-outs, hookers, gambling, you name it. Plus, The Fort was also a perfect place for bad guys to hide out. The White Elephant Saloon still exists in the Stockyards, and most of Hell's Half-Acre is our downtown area now. We still have twice-daily cattle drives in the Stockyards too.
I did that once in 2015. Work had me travel there for training and our last day before we flew out we visited the Stockyards. It was fun except for the petting zoo making me feel sad. Too bad they haven’t sent me back out there recently! At least going to California was close to Disneyland!

I did that once in 2015. Work had me travel there for training and our last day before we flew out we visited the Stockyards. It was fun except for the petting zoo making me feel sad. Too bad they haven’t sent me back out there recently! At least going to California was close to Disneyland!

The petting zoo is gone now! Along with the outdoor mechanical bull.

I like to think that I'm continuing my gal Etta Place's legacy ... gotta keep Fort Worth happening.

QOTD: Now that Spring is slowly starting to appear for some of us, let's talk about how you dress for warmer weather. Are you an overdresser? Underdresser? Or are you good at dressing exactly for the weather?

Bonus: Let's talk tea! Are you a tea drinker? How do you take your tea? Any favorites?

For tomorrow's QOTD I nominate ... @LSUlakes (I know, I'm hysterical)

ATTQOTD: I'm an overdresser... I like layers. I need to get better at dressing for warm weather, though, because sometimes wearing too many layers in the heat is just brutal.

ATTBQOTD: I love tea! My favorite is earl gray, but a close second is pomegranate blueberry from Coffee Bean. I drink my tea plain - no milk or sugar or anything.
I also like some iced tea (my favorite is Coffee Bean's Sweedish Berries), but not if its sweetened. I've never had true sweet tea, so I dont know how I feel about that.

I tend to start my runs a little cold during those months of cold weather because when I get running and warmed up then it's perfect. The only time I am overdressed is in the summer because there is nothing I can do to start off my runs cold. I sweat a lot so some runs I finish and my clothes are literally dripping in sweat and completely saturated. That's usually only on 85'+ days and humidity though.

Bonus: No tea for me, thank you. I drink nice cold water 95% of the time.

QOTD: What is you next big running goal and why?

Unrelated question: Is registration for marathon weekend started yet? Whats the scoop on the delay?

ATTQOTD: MY next race hopefully is a 10 miler in a month. I have a long way to go but its my only shot for a POT. Work is going to complicate things, but at least I am getting paid for the OT for the next 3 weeks! OT = Disney Money!!!!

QOTD: What is you next big running goal and why?

Unrelated question: Is registration for marathon weekend started yet? Whats the scoop on the delay?

ATTQOTD: MY next race hopefully is a 10 miler in a month. I have a long way to go but its my only shot for a POT. Work is going to complicate things, but at least I am getting paid for the OT for the next 3 weeks! OT = Disney Money!!!!
This is so timely! I need a new running goal, just having run a half this weekend and PR'ed (thanks DopeyBadger). I'll piggy back on this question: What's a better goal to set: a sub-1 hour 10k (I'm about 5 minutes or less away now), a 17-minute faster marathon (I ran a 5:16 last year and really want a sub-5 hour), or a 20 minute faster half ( I just ran a 2:19 and would need a sub-2 to make it a big goal. Obviously that is a multi-year project)? Trying to get to round numbers.

I haven't responded to a bunch of previous QOTD's because my answer is so similar to others'.

ATTQOTD: I am in the middle of my goal, 5 marathons the year I turn 50. Turned 50 last week and already have 2 of the marathons done. :) My next is May 6th at Waco! Then I am planning on City of Oaks, in Raleigh in November and Bridge 2 Bridge in Little Rock, in December. Any of you NC people who have run City of Oaks have any info to share on that race? I saw on their website the electrolyte drink they give on course is Amino somthing... Not familiar with it and it makes me nervous..

ATTQOTD: I am in the middle of my goal, 5 marathons the year I turn 50. Turned 50 last week and already have 2 of the marathons done. :) My next is May 6th at Waco! Then I am planning on City of Oaks, in Raleigh in November and Bridge 2 Bridge in Little Rock, in December. Any of you NC people who have run City of Oaks have any info to share on that race? I saw on their website the electrolyte drink they give on course is Amino somthing... Not familiar with it and it makes me nervous..

City of Oaks uses Amino Vital as the energy drink. I'm not a big fan of it, having had a bad stomach experience during the race with it in 2016. That could have been my gels, too, though. The biggest thing to look out for with City of Oaks is that it is a very hilly course, with some of the worst uphill stretches coming in miles 20-23. That stretch took a big toll on my legs. I can get you more details later, if there's anything specific you need to know.

ATTQOTD: Run a sub 5 hour marathon in November. I am signed up to run the Richmond marathon which is my first non Disney marathon. I have stopped for a lot of character photos the past two times I ran the marathon and I’d like to see how I can do when I don’t have the allure of stopping for a picture with Buzz Lightyear, etc.

@Dis5150 - I’ve only done the half but it’s hilly. I drank the amino stuff from miles 9 on during the half last year and was fine but I always carry my own stuff just in case. It tasted just like the other sports drinks mix you get at races to me. I have heard there isn’t as much course support on the second half of the race as the first because it’s on greenways. Another thing to remember is that the full, half, and 10k all start at the same time so the first mile is a little crowded. I know @camaker ran the full so I am sure he can answer any questions you have!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter