The Running Thread - 2018

Do we think I'm okay to take it tomorrow before the race? Or do we think I'm better off taking something before bed tonight and hoping it lasts? (the pills are 24 hours, so I think taking something tonight may help)

If you are currently having issues my suggestion is to take a pill tonight so that it gets into your system and starts working. Not knowing what helps I would suggest also having either a Benadryl or Neosporin type ointment to put on tomorrow as soon as you have finished to counter any additional surface irritation that occurs during the race.

Good luck.

Do we think I'm okay to take it tomorrow before the race? Or do we think I'm better off taking something before bed tonight and hoping it lasts? (the pills are 24 hours, so I think taking something tonight may help)
I am not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but I'm voting for this: 'taking something before bed tonight and hoping it lasts'. And use whatever topical remedies are available, as they are less likely to have side-effects.

The 'nothing new on race day' rule will very rarely lead you astray.

All that being said: have a good race, and I can't wait for the recap.

How has it impacted you when you’ve taken it for other runs? Did you notice any difference at all? Even a little? I take allergy meds and haven’t noticed an impact on running, but I take them for full seasons, not for acute flares.

Have you thought about an antihistamine cream like a cortisone or Benadryl cream?

If you are currently having issues my suggestion is to take a pill tonight so that it gets into your system and starts working. Not knowing what helps I would suggest also having either a Benadryl or Neosporin type ointment to put on tomorrow as soon as you have finished to counter any additional surface irritation that occurs during the race.

Good luck.

I am not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but I'm voting for this: 'taking something before bed tonight and hoping it lasts'. And use whatever topical remedies are available, as they are less likely to have side-effects.

Thanks for all the advice!
Creams don't really work so well for me (and I don't actually even know if I have any in the house right now) because I have a tendency to scratch or rub them off before they get a chance to take effect, so the pill is really the best thing for me generally. I think I'll take something before bed tonight ... I've never had any negative effects from the pill, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

I agree - take one now! Is it a 24hr? Mine usually kick in and last, so if yours do too, you’ll be covered through the race. I’ve never found them to impact my running either.

Have a great race tomorrow!! Looking forward to the recap!

Quick question, guys (not that I think anyone's around on a Saturday night, but I figured I'd drop in just in case) - how do we feel about allergy pills and nothing new on race day?
I have a bit of a painful skin reaction that I'm afraid will bother me during my half tomorrow, and the only thing that helps is antihistamines.
I've taken this particular allergy pill before (in fact, I took it on Wednesday), but never on long run day. And I have taken an allergy pill on race day, but that was a slightly different medication, and it was a 10K.

“Nothing new on race day” is an idealistic saying and there’s a time when pragmatism has to rule the day. It sounds like that painful skin reaction is already “something new on race day”, So you’re really in a pick your poison situation. Do you want to (most likely) run an entire race in pain with a skin reaction or do you want to alleviate that and hope the antihistamine doesn’t interfere with the race? I’d go with the unknown of the antihistamine over a skin reaction compounded by sweating on it every time. Even if the drug degrades your performance slightly, it’s probably preferable to have a slightly slower, comfortable race than an agonizing PR.

If it’s a 24 hour pill, taking it early really doesn’t help from a race day standpoint because those pills are designed to keep the medicine in your system. It might help, though, from an efficacy standpoint. I’d rather give the antihistamine time to fully quell the reaction in a calm situation rather than making it start fighting a flare up under race stresses.

Regardless of your choice, best of luck tomorrow!

I think I threw "nothing new on race day" out the window when my first race after getting back into running, Tink 2015, I wore a pair of new-to-me brand of socks for the HM that I bought the day before at the expo. :D

Caught up! (Again.) So I am emerging from lurkdom. (Again.) :wave:

@LSUlakes - Can you add the following for me?

March 25 - MickeyMomma - Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)
November 3 - MickeyMomma - Disney Wine & Dine 10K (TBD / N/A)
November 4 - MickeyMomma - Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon (TBD / N/A)

This year will be my first time running the Wine & Dine Weekend and I'm pretty excited to run a new half course at Disney. It may almost, ALMOST, make up for not being there for Marathon Weekend in January.

Creams don't really work so well for me (and I don't actually even know if I have any in the house right now) because I have a tendency to scratch or rub them off before they get a chance to take effect, so the pill is really the best thing for me generally.

Fighting the compulsion to scratch an allergic reaction is hard. I end up in a long sleeve tshirt and hooded sweatshirt with the hood up to keep my hands away from my arms and top of head. Here is to hoping the pill kept things under control for the race.

60EA6624-65FF-4324-8868-F0F4D3D2CFB3.jpeg
My 12 year old son and I ran the Irish Jig 5K yesterday. We ran with a bunch of kids from his middle school as part of a Health Quest group. The kids did great and my son only needed to walk up the hills. After about 2.5 miles, he said he was hungry, so I said “well run faster then and there will be a free banana for you at the finish”, to which I got the lovely eye roll. o_O Proud of his effort despite the eye rolls.

Official time: 32:48 :banana:

Wrightsville Beach Half Recap: I signed up for this race because I was going to be in the general area as my husband was running Badwater Cape Fear 50 Miler and it was something to keep me occupied. Saturday morning started off with me missing my 4 AM alarm by 16 minutes. Quickly got dressed and got out the door about 10 minutes behind schedule. Dropped my husband off at the ferry in the town we were staying in- his race is on a barrier island off the NC coast only accessible by boats. There’s no cars on the island! I then drove 45 minutes up to Wilmington where the shuttle would take me to the start line. The drive was boring down a 2 lane unlit highway, but I had food so I managed to stay awake. I parked at 6:15 and ran to the shuttles because I knew the last one was leaving at 6:20. I did make it and found a huge line of people still waiting, so I’m guessing there were transportation issues. They did hold the race for 10 minutes, so we started at 6:50. I had woken up a little dizzy and the shuttle did not help. But arriving right at the start and just jumping right in helped me to not dwell on that. The first 3ish miles are in Wrightsville Beach and I felt that it was pretty crowded. It was self-corralled with half and full going together. Also, I’m kind of scared of bridges and we had to run over a drawbridge in those first few miles. Although they put a little something down, those grates at the top were not fun. I was happy to not be too fatigued when we did that. We then entered a neighborhood for approximately 5 miles and this is where I began to hate the race. It was long and boring. No real elevation, but rolling little hills that I’m not used to. Beautiful homes and great course support, but there was 2-way traffic so lots of weaving. I’d start to break away, then a car would come. Around mile 8 we turned onto a main road, and had to cross a major intersection. One driver was not happy, he was laying on his horn and just took off when the officer told him to stop. So, kind of scary and I definitely sprinted when I crossed. Then a mile in a shopping center before entering a very nice path in a park. Still too narrow for my liking, but pretty. The last mile was mostly inside UNC-Wilmington. I hit the 12 mile marker and knew I had to finish in 17 minutes in order to PR so I was convinced I had it in the bag. I had been tracking .1 over on Strava consistently during the race, so I figured I’d finish at 13.2. I have been having a lot of calf issues, and had a couple of cramps around mile 10 so I took a walk break from 12-12.3 and came up with a game plan. I decided to run straight to 13 on Strava (I do 2/1 intervals) then walk until I hit the 13 mile marker on the course and then sprint it in. I’ve actually been training like that, intervals until the last mile. I was able to do the straight run without any weaving and tried to stick to the shortest route. Well, I never saw the 13 mile marker and we turned the corner after I hit 13.1 on Strava and I couldn’t even see the finish line. My calf was hurting badly and toes were cramped, so I jogged until my PR time went by and I missed it by about a minute and a half. I ended up tracking .3 over, so not bad normally, just sucks a little that most of the overtracking happened during the last mile. I honestly am very confused by that last mile, there’s no way I did a true 1.1 miles in 18:30, I think I can casually walk faster than that. Oh well. I have a good chance at a new PR next month as long as I stay healthy. The finish line was nice and they gave us a reusable grocery bag with all the typical refreshments. So much nicer than being handed everything individually. The medals were delayed due to shipping, so I guess I’ll get that in the mail. They also don’t do shirts, they give out pajama pants. A nice change.

My husband rocked Badwater 50 Miler. He finished in 8:21 and is moving better than I am today! Beautiful island!

Me with my Publix bag instead of medal:
F29C2075-85E1-4F44-8DFA-94B42B445BE9.jpeg

And my husband with his buckle:E3FAFDB1-D953-4BFC-AD75-548486FE2322.jpeg

Shamrox 15k report:

I ran this race on Saturday along with my DH @Chris-Mo . Full recap in my journal here

TLDR: Finish time of 1:34:34

A touch longer than I was hoping for (groin strain 2 weeks before hampered my final training), but a new PR for the 15K distance smashing my old record of 1:48:38. Good enough for 6th out of 25 in my division as well, so not medal worthy, but I'll take it. :) Thanks to @DopeyBadger for the training plan. On to our next race, a half marathon in April.

I have a question for those who run multiple races during one weekend. I thought I could wait until my tapering in May but my mind keeps wandering to it, even during training runs:
What objectives do you set? What would you recommend in the following situation (I am looking at you all Dopey’s)?

The Ottawa Voyageur Challenge consist of three races. Of course, finishing all three in good health is the primary objective.

Day Time Distance PR to beat
Saturday 4:00PM 5k 24min50s
Saturday 6:30PM 10k 54min50s
Sunday 9:00AM Half 2h45min*
*The Half PR is making at least 20 stops for pictures at Disney, I was and am training for a time between 1h50 and 2h10.

As we get closer to that weekend, I’ll be able to evaluate my abilities at that time. The weather will also be a factor.

But if all is well, do I try to beat my PRs? Which ones? Or do I just try to keep the total to under 3h40min? Going for steady pace throughout?

TIA

Race Recap - United Airlines NYC Half:

The Amazing:
- This course was so much fun! The energy was electric, there was a lot to see, and it was just an overall good time. There were lots of DJs and bands all along the course, a decent number of spectators, and just some really fun people running this race.
- I was one of the first 20,000 people to ever run on the roadway of the Manhattan Bridge. This is the first time it's ever been closed off for a running event (even though this race is a few years old, it was a new course this year). I'm part of history!
- Thanks to my fancy @DopeyBadger plan, I got myself a nice new PR and finished the race feeling decent!

The Good:
- Even though I only stopped at one water stop (I carry water with me when I run), it looked like there were a decent number of water and gatorade stops. NYRR usually does a good job with logistics, and this was no exception.
- Photographers were definitely present on the course! It's marathonfoto, though, so ... there's that. I'm probably not paying marathonfoto prices for these pictures.
- Free medal engraving for NYRR members!

The Bad:
- There was a lot of crowding at certain points in the course (I think the worst part for me was the Manhattan Bridge)
- I don't love ending the race in Central Park

The Ugly:
- Weather. It was colder than I wanted, and the wind was nasty. The wheelchair mens division winner said it best ... "13 miles with headwind is not fair."

Official Time: 2:27:50
That's a 3:18 (I think) PR and 9 minutes better than my last half!

Overall, I loved this race. The course was great, the people were great, and I had such a good time. I'm halfway to earning guaranteed entry for next year, and I'm really excited to do it again! Highly recommended for anyone who can get guaranteed entry or is willing to deal with the lottery and/or fundraising.

Allergy update: I took the pill before bed last night. I was fine during the race. Thanks for all the helpful advice!
My hand itches like crazy right now, though.

The Amazing:
- This course was so much fun! The energy was electric, there was a lot to see, and it was just an overall good time. There were lots of DJs and bands all along the course, a decent number of spectators, and just some really fun people running this race.
- I was one of the first 20,000 people to ever run on the roadway of the Manhattan Bridge. This is the first time it's ever been closed off for a running event (even though this race is a few years old, it was a new course this year). I'm part of history!
- Thanks to my fancy @DopeyBadger plan, I got myself a nice new PR and finished the race feeling decent!

The Good:
- Even though I only stopped at one water stop (I carry water with me when I run), it looked like there were a decent number of water and gatorade stops. NYRR usually does a good job with logistics, and this was no exception.
- Photographers were definitely present on the course! It's marathonfoto, though, so ... there's that. I'm probably not paying marathonfoto prices for these pictures.

The Bad:
- There was a lot of crowding at certain points in the course (I think the worst part for me was the Manhattan Bridge)

The Ugly:
- Weather. It was colder than I wanted, and the wind was nasty. The wheelchair mens division winner said it best ... "13 miles with headwind is not fair."

Overall, I loved this race. The course was great, the people were great, and I had such a good time. I'm halfway to earning guaranteed entry for next year, and I'm really excited to do it again! Highly recommended for anyone who can get guaranteed entry or is willing to deal with the lottery and/or fundraising.

Allergy update: I took the pill before bed last night. I was fine during the race. Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Congrats!!! You did awesome (especially with the wind!).
:banana::banana:

The Amazing:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Great recap - and congrats on the PR, despite not-fun weather!

I have a question for those who run multiple races during one weekend. I thought I could wait until my tapering in May but my mind keeps wandering to it, even during training runs:
What objectives do you set? What would you recommend in the following situation (I am looking at you all Dopey’s)?

The Ottawa Voyageur Challenge consist of three races. Of course, finishing all three in good health is the primary objective.

Day Time Distance PR to beat
Saturday 4:00PM 5k 24min50s
Saturday 6:30PM 10k 54min50s
Sunday 9:00AM Half 2h45min*
*The Half PR is making at least 20 stops for pictures at Disney, I was and am training for a time between 1h50 and 2h10.

As we get closer to that weekend, I’ll be able to evaluate my abilities at that time. The weather will also be a factor.

But if all is well, do I try to beat my PRs? Which ones? Or do I just try to keep the total to under 3h40min? Going for steady pace throughout?

TIA

Unless you are DopeyBadger, the idea of trying to PR all 3 races is not something I would recommend, and especially since 2 are on the same day. Going for one? Sure. Seems like the 1/2 would be the one--you clearly can do around 2hr and change (based on your 5/10k PR). You can treat Saturday like a couple of easy training runs.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter