The Running Thread - 2018

Spirit of the Marathon has a sequel, this time centered on the Rome Marathon. I didn't find it to be as good as the first (few sequels are), but it's still worth a viewing.

Agreed. I loved the first one, but found the sequel disappointing, as it felt like more of the same, without adding anything new.

QOTD: What time of year do you consider to be race prep v/s maintenance runs?

ATTQOTD: Race prep / race season is October to March, give or take a few weeks one way or the other. Keeping up my fitness level would then be from April to September. Usually April I will run a 5k or 10 to end things, and since nearly every marathon around here is in January, my training plans will start around the second week of September.

This week we have the following folks with races:

17 - @camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m (Finish/Finish / N/A)
17 - @BoilerGirl91 - Leprechaun Chase 5k (NG / N/A)
17 - @apdebord - Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @GollyGadget - St. Patrick's Day 5k (22:39 / N/A)
17 - @ZellyB - Shamrox 15K (1:30:xx / N/A)
17 - @Chris-Mo - Shamrox 15k (1:30:xx / N/A)
17 - @michigandergirl - The Irish Jig 5K (NG / N/A)
18 - @SarahDisney - United Airlines NYC Half Marathon (2:40:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If anyone would like to revise a goal or add a race, just let me know. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it goes!

So, due to the movie discussion I watched McFarland USA last night, I really enjoyed it & thought thank goodness my high school CC courses weren't like that! We had hills but not like that!

ATTQOTD: Race Prep season is any time before a race but I always run so if no race than it's maintenance season I guess. Not a very good answer really :)

QOTD: What time of year do you consider to be race prep v/s maintenance runs?

For me , it's not really any particular time of year. If I'm registered for a race, it's race prep. If not, it's maintenance runs. I do races all year round so either one could happen at any time.

@LSUlakes - can you please update my goal for Sunday to 2:26:17? "Take all the pictures" has suddenly (or not so suddenly) become "PR ... but still take all the pictures."
I'm signed up for a meet the pacers event tonight ... my plan is to basically tell the 2:30 pacer "I hope to be ahead of you the whole race, but I wanted to say hi in case I find myself struggling at the end and want to hang with you for a little bit."
Mostly I'm going to see if they're giving out any free stuff. But I also want to meet the 2:30 pacer just in case, because historically I have struggled in central park, and if I feel like I'm losing my mojo, running with the pacer for a mile or so may help me get it back.

This week we have the following folks with races:

17 - @camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m (Finish/Finish / N/A)
17 - @BoilerGirl91 - Leprechaun Chase 5k (NG / N/A)
17 - @apdebord - Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @GollyGadget - St. Patrick's Day 5k (22:39 / N/A)
17 - @ZellyB - Shamrox 15K (1:30:xx / N/A)
17 - @Chris-Mo - Shamrox 15k (1:30:xx / N/A)
17 - @michigandergirl - The Irish Jig 5K (NG / N/A)
18 - @SarahDisney - United Airlines NYC Half Marathon (2:40:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If anyone would like to revise a goal or add a race, just let me know. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it goes!

@LSUlakes, could you please take my race off the list? Not being able to run due to Dopey recovery and subsequent shinjury for 8 of the last 10 weeks pretty much precludes my participation in an ultramarathon. This will be my first full week back running for grand total of 13-14 miles. :sad1:

ATTQOTD: I normally have one goal race in the Spring and one in the Fall. All the time in between is spent as maintenance.

@LSUlakes I had to change my race schedule up. I am not running the All American Half next weekend and I am running the Publix Georgia Half this Sunday instead. Thanks!

Same here. I have 4 miles to do - and I am thinking treadmill.
Same here although I don't really want to do the treadmill. I'm simultaneously training for my May HM right now on my own DB plan and starting my official training group with my running group for our spring race, a 15K in June, tonight. Supposedly we're still meeting, but I don't really know if I want to run outdoors. The sidewalks were awful after the 16-18" we got one week ago, and now we got like 25-26" yesterday.

ATTQOTD: I run races pretty much all year but I would say I'm only "training" between like mid-late February to late-October. Nov/Dec/Jan/most of Feb are just kinda maintenance in normal years. Sometimes I run an early/mid-Nov HM, so I might be training up until then. But other than that I have only run like 5K's at Thanksgiving, in Dec, or in Jan/Feb, and I don't need to be "training" for those. :)

ATTQOTD: For this year at least, I think June will be more about maintenance and recovery. Last half of the season is May 20th, then marathon training begins in July. So I will reduce my mileage slightly in June.

ATTQOTD:
Spring- Summer is mostly maintenance/base building for me with race prep starting in the fall for late winter/spring runDisney. That being said, I don't do a good job of keeping up with the maintenance runs and this year am planning a POT race in October so all that will shift a bit.

ATTQOTD: Most races around here are either April, May, June, September or October. Historically that has meant training from Feb-Sept with maintenance Oct-Jan.

This year is all sorts of different though. The WDW Marathon had me training through my "off season" and I'm planning to run a marathon in Nov... So maybe come December I can enjoy a few weeks of maintenance.

ATTQOTD: I have a very difficult time doing maintenance runs when there's not a race on the horizon. Unfortunately this means that when I run I'm training. I need to get better at running for its own sake.

Same here although I don't really want to do the treadmill. I'm simultaneously training for my May HM right now on my own DB plan and starting my official training group with my running group for our spring race, a 15K in June, tonight. Supposedly we're still meeting, but I don't really know if I want to run outdoors. The sidewalks were awful after the 16-18" we got one week ago, and now we got like 25-26" yesterday.
Well now it's officially canceled for tonight, so I suppose I should be a good safe runner and go run on the treadmill. Thankfully tonight's workout is only 2 of 4 miles at 30/30 intervals and the other 2 are at 90/30, so the treadmill won't be quite so brutal. I still cannot figure out how to program it... there MUST be a way! But I don't know what it is, and punching the buttons so frequently to make it go faster/slower drives me batty. :)

Well now it's officially canceled for tonight, so I suppose I should be a good safe runner and go run on the treadmill. Thankfully tonight's workout is only 2 of 4 miles at 30/30 intervals and the other 2 are at 90/30, so the treadmill won't be quite so brutal. I still cannot figure out how to program it... there MUST be a way! But I don't know what it is, and punching the buttons so frequently to make it go faster/slower drives me batty. :)

If it makes life easier, you could try and do the same average pace as continuous only on the treadmill. Just depends on whether you can tolerate that mid range slower pace.

It's been a interesting day as a WDW fan. A nice melt about the parking fees and I had my moment about it as well, and realized theirs nothing I can do that will change it because I am still going to go. Glad I booked by two trips already for 2018 though. The 2019 trip for the marathon is not safe from this one though. OR I dont think it will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!