The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've definitely prepared myself for the fact that both Spaceship Earth and The People Mover will be closed for our trip in May of 2020, sniff. Although Splash should be open and that's a big deal because it was closed during our October 2017 trip and that was a HUGE bummer.

My worries - will 2020's Flower and Garden Festival still be happening even with all the proposed work to happen in Future World? We are so excited to finally be going during this festival. I don't know Martin, but has he said anything about that? :)

I've definitely prepared myself for the fact that both Spaceship Earth and The People Mover will be closed for our trip in May of 2020, sniff. Although Splash should be open and that's a big deal because it was closed during our October 2017 trip and that was a HUGE bummer.

My worries - will 2020's Flower and Garden Festival still be happening even with all the proposed work to happen in Future World? We are so excited to finally be going during this festival. I don't know Martin, but has he said anything about that? :)
Flower and Garden is mainly a World Showcase thing so I would think so. Also they will likely need these festivals in order to get people to keep coming to Epcot while there are a ton of walls.

Flower and Garden is mainly a World Showcase thing so I would think so. Also they will likely need these festivals in order to get people to keep coming to Epcot while there are a ton of walls.

Thanks!

Walls don't bother us. We went in 2014 and both Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom (the Hub project) had construction everywhere.

Besides, I actually find Future World kind of depressing now compared to the memories from my youth, so walls of progress will be an improvement!

Jucifying the rumor up....
Per Mr. Penguin at WDWMagic.com who tracks what insiders are stating:

SSE update - Starting as early as late 2019 - lasting 2-3 years.
Potentially includes - new track, new cars, updated scenes and per Martin - preshow, post show change, with new construction.

So this could be a HUGE overhaul. That being said, Martin stated they hope to have it completed in time for the Epcot 40th anniversary - but are not sure it will be.

Strange to me how Disney was procrastinating with Epcot and seemingly putting things off and now all of the sudden many of the major rumors have life again. Never dull with Disney!
Not doing something doesn’t necessarily mean one is “procrastinating” — all we know are tidbits that insiders leak — could have been a long range plan all along for the 40th.

My concern is the fact he clearly states, if you like the Phoenicians, go this year - so it definitely sounds like a major revamp of content not just ride type. I hope beyond hope this won't be a major IP change
I doubt Martin would sound as optimistic as he does on this if he had any sense they were adding IP to SSE.

Jucifying the rumor up....
Per Mr. Penguin at WDWMagic.com who tracks what insiders are stating:

SSE update - Starting as early as late 2019 - lasting 2-3 years.
Potentially includes - new track, new cars, updated scenes and per Martin - preshow, post show change, with new construction.

So this could be a HUGE overhaul. That being said, Martin stated they hope to have it completed in time for the Epcot 40th anniversary - but are not sure it will be.

based on that - it doesn't say "new theme" so I guess still similar concept just maybe more updates that the previous thought was. Hope they don't add too much IP (little nods/hidden things here and there I am ok with)

They have been procrastinating with Epcot for years.
That's obviously a subjective conclusion. Unless I hear it straight from leadership (or a reputable source who actually directly knows senior leadership -- not a game of telephone 20 people long) saying that they were just kicking the can down the road mindlessly... rather than strategically investing in other priority areas first (Pandora, SWGE, etc., etc., etc.) and planning for big investment in time for Epcot's 40th.

One can disagree with their priorities, but we have no way of knowing that this was just "procrastination", which just implies mindless neglect and ignores the element of prioritization of CapEx.

Last edited:
I would think flower and garden is the perfect compliment for construction in Epcot. Think of all the topiaries you could put in place of construction walls. ;)

Haha, let's hope so! Would make for some great pictures!

That's obviously a subjective conclusion. Unless I hear it straight from leadership (or a reputable source who actually directly knows senior leadership -- not a game of telephone 20 people long) saying that they were just kicking the can down the road mindlessly... rather than strategically investing in other priority areas first (Pandora, SWGE, etc., etc., etc.) and planning for big investment in time for Epcot's 40th.

One can disagree with their priorities, but we have no way of knowing that this was just "procrastination", which just implies mindless neglect and ignores the element of prioritization of CapEx.
Disney would never admit to such a thing. They never have and never would.

Epcot needed major work over a decade ago. They’ve been putting it off and putting it off. Festivals is their major excuse because that still brings in the people.

Empty buildings and the state of Future World is neglect.

They don’t have much choice other than to act now and make changes. Otherwise Epcot attendance will continue to fall compared to the other parks.

Guess it depends on definition of Procrastination vs Focusing Elsewhere, but hard to argue that EPCOT has needed work for a while and hasn't seen the updates other parks have. And they have had plans over the years for updating EPCOT (e.g., project gemini) that they didn't act on

and I don't think it really matters if they didn't act because they decided to focus elsewhere or if they truly just "kicked the can" - it hasn't had the attention it really needed for a while and that is why they are playing catch up now

Guess it depends on definition of Procrastination vs Focusing Elsewhere, but hard to argue that EPCOT has needed work for a while and hasn't seen the updates other parks have. And they have had plans over the years for updating EPCOT (e.g., project gemini) that they didn't act on

and I don't think it really matters if they didn't act because they decided to focus elsewhere or if they truly just "kicked the can" - it hasn't had the attention it really needed for a while and that is why they are playing catch up now
I agree. There have been several plans for Epcot. I think they could’ve avoided a major overhaul like this if they updated, added, or changed as needed.

Which funnily enough as a seasoned procrastinator, sounds a whole lot like procrastination to me.

One more Epcot add - Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - they seem to have locked in on the spine renewal, and he stated he would not be surprised to see walls up by end of year. This will be a multi-phase project, and one change will be demolish of Innovations west - replaced by some buildings but NOT for rides....

One more Epcot add - Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - they seem to have locked in on the spine renewal, and he stated he would not be surprised to see walls up by end of year. This will be a multi-phase project, and one change will be demolish of Innovations west - replaced by some buildings but NOT for rides....

makes sense to do it in phases so can have some improvements done, and improve and crowd flow in time for when Guardians opens and for WDWs 50th, and then further enhancements after that (if that is their plan)

Yeah -- this is one I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of -- very glad it's moving forward. Not so much looking forward to construction in that area, but you have to break some eggs... :)

one change will be demolish of Innovations west - replaced by some buildings but NOT for rides....
I predict that it will be a new merchandise shop. That way they can later move on to Innovations East without missing Mouse Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter