The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I much prefer they stick to a character and story that is beloved -- even if not as current -- than them making up a new character and backstory for a vague new "adventure" attraction. Would seem like an odd business move when they have this solid IP to use.

I know it's en vogue on boards these days to poo-poo the proliferation of IP in the parks, but sometimes it's solid and works -- I think Indy is one of those.

I think it comes down to how they do it - and how they connect it to something current and going forward.

So if they have the "World of Indiana Jones" (or, i guess to use current lingo "the Indiana Jones Universe"), and this is part of that and it puts us in that world, then that can be great (and I would say the ride in Disneyland sort of does that, and I think they do that with Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar) ... but if it is like a dark ride showing the story of Raiders of the Lost Arc, then I think that would be out of date and not forward looking

So I guess somewhere in between "totally vague" and "retelling of an old story"

I much prefer they stick to a character and story that is beloved -- even if not as current -- than them making up a new character and backstory for a vague new "adventure" attraction. Would seem like an odd business move when they have this solid IP to use.

I know it's en vogue on boards these days to poo-poo the proliferation of IP in the parks, but sometimes it's solid and works -- I think Indy is one of those.

I'm not being cool for the sake of being cool - I really don't think the younger generations (and I'm speaking of my nieces in their late teens/early 20's) hold Indiana Jones in the same regard as those of us in our 40's do.

If they want this adventure story-line, then make a new movie with a new character. A rip off of Lara Croft would be awesome (but you know, so people don't think it's a rip off). This could be a fantastic animated movie, if not live action. We can make her Columbian instead of British. There can be a rival love interest and zany sidekicks. Monsters and aliens in the ruins, along with a lovable creature that can be made into a plushie. SOMEBODY MAKE THIS.

Why do we need another Indiana Jones movie? They should have stopped after the first 3...after the first in my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not being cool for the sake of being cool - I really don't think the younger generations (and I'm speaking of my nieces in their late teens/early 20's) hold Indiana Jones in the same regard as those of us in our 40's do.

If they want this adventure story-line, then make a new movie with a new character. A rip off of Lara Croft would be awesome (but you know, so people don't think it's a rip off). This could be a fantastic animated movie, if not live action. We can make her Columbian instead of British. There can be a rival love interest and zany sidekicks. Monsters and aliens in the ruins, along with a lovable creature that can be made into a plushie. SOMEBODY MAKE THIS.

Why do we need another Indiana Jones movie? They should have stopped after the first 3...after the first in my opinion. ;)
I have a 12yo and 13yo, and they like the first couple of Indy films. They're not WILD about it, but we also HATED Avatar and really like Pandora and FoP. If they execute well on an Indy-themed area, they'll please the "older" folks and the younger set. Win-win.

All subjective, but I wouldn't at all be into this Lara Croft rip-off-but-not-really-a-ripoff. To each his/her own! But I see no reason for a company that has access to this IP making an imitation of it or something worse like Croft.

I have a 12yo and 13yo, and they like the first couple of Indy films. They're not WILD about it, but we also HATED Avatar and really like Pandora and FoP. If they execute well on an Indy-themed area, they'll please the "older" folks and the younger set. Win-win.

All subjective, but I wouldn't at all be into this Lara Croft rip-off-but-not-really-a-ripoff. To each his/her own! But I see no reason for a company that has access to this IP making an imitation of it or something worse like Croft.

Well, I this my first shot at pitching a story line.

I'll work on it and get back to you. :rotfl:

I think Pandora is a pretty good comparison - where it is a land that everyone can enjoy whether you have seen a Indiana Jones movie or not, but for those that are fans there will be an extra level of immersion/enjoyment/inside tid-bits/etc. then i think it could be cool and leverage an IP you have

Indy is still quite popular with the Millenial crowd, but I really don't think it's a draw in itself to those younger than that. We are 10 years from the last film, nearly 30 years since one widely considered great. And over the years there have been so many imitators that it's not exactly a special character or experience anymore. If they build something impressive, none of that would matter, but banking on the character alone, as big a fan as I am, wouldn't get them there. Honestly, I think Indy would work best as a ride within an existing land rather than headlining his own. It's a property that could be easily adapted into so many situations, make a ride worth talking about and people will flock to an area that could use a boost.

My guess is how they handle the next movie for Indy will be how successful this is. If they use this vehicle to pass of from Harrison Ford to someone else, and they are good and popular, then this has a real chance for a refurb and be successful. If this is a simple Indy dies, and ends Ford with no clear area to move forward, i can't see them doing IP for a mini-land in one of the parks.

I also don't think it will have a boat ride. I think they got that from some rumors that were floating around about the Shanghai Pirates tech coming to US, one park that was targeted was supposedly DHS, but I got confirmation from Martin that Indy won't have that tech. Doesn't mean they can't add a boat ride, but I don't think they have space to do it, and per multiple sources no plans to add water ride to DHS.

My guess is how they handle the next movie for Indy will be how successful this is. If they use this vehicle to pass of from Harrison Ford to someone else, and they are good and popular, then this has a real chance for a refurb and be successful. If this is a simple Indy dies, and ends Ford with no clear area to move forward, i can't see them doing IP for a mini-land in one of the parks.

I also don't think it will have a boat ride. I think they got that from some rumors that were floating around about the Shanghai Pirates tech coming to US, one park that was targeted was supposedly DHS, but I got confirmation from Martin that Indy won't have that tech. Doesn't mean they can't add a boat ride, but I don't think they have space to do it, and per multiple sources no plans to add water ride to DHS.

I could see that mix up happening - though they did specifically say it won't be that but would be a family friendly boat ride ... but still could be sort of combining/mixing up rumors vs something specific that is concrete

They pull vague things from WDWMagic sources as part of it. Orlando Weekly is always a bit weird with rumors.

Have they ever broken a story and been correct? They're always pulling from WDWMagic and getting buzz because they have good SEO

Agree. As a HUGE Indiana Jones fan from the 80s and 90s, MGM Studios became my favorite park simply because of the Indiana Jones stunt show. (still so very shocked they haven't changed this show in 20+ years.

My kids know (haven't seen the movies obviously) who Indiana Jones is because of me .. and my movie posters. Heck my son and his cousins had tons of fun with my old Raiders of the Lost ark figures (from the early 80s) a few months ago.
But Indy isn't really in today's culture. Is it old enough to be "hip" with the millennials. Will the Gen X-ers be nostalgic enough to check it out? Will the current generation be turned on or off of it with new movies?

The concept of Indiana Jones (adventure archaeology) is timeless, even though the character may not be, so it may work out -- but having a new "Indy" land 10 years from now maybe a few decades too late. It probably all depends how this next movie goes -- will it be Crystal Skull or Last Crusade?

I agree.... even though I love, love Indy, more than Star Wars (which I do also enjoy, but if I had to pick... it's Indy). I'm not sure about the widespread appeal to future youngin's, but I'd personally be all over an Indiana Jones land at DHS.

Too bad they’d probably never be allowed to build a Shanghai-type ropes course over an Indy land in the states.

I think using Indy is just a matter of not being super literal. You make some rides and stuff informed by his backstory, but cool enough to stand on their own.

Think of it like Splash Mountain. Who the heck has seen Song of the South in the past 30 years? It's still super popular because it's a cool ride, visually exciting from the outside, and has a great song.

Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are visually stunning, even if you don't have a clue that rabbit outsmarts the wise guy fox or bear. The ride is enjoyable even without knowing of the outsmarted plot by throwing rabbit in the brier patch, or the bees near the laughing place. Or how rabbit's laughing place was getting bear to put his head in the bush to get attacked by bees. The lessons taught by Uncle Remus would be valuable today, even if the vehicle used at the time would have "issues" in this politically correct time.
Does Indy have such visually stunning characters? I mean, beside the big rolling stone and Karen Allen?

Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are visually stunning, even if you don't have a clue that rabbit outsmarts the wise guy fox or bear. The ride is enjoyable even without knowing of the outsmarted plot by throwing rabbit in the brier patch, or the bees near the laughing place. Or how rabbit's laughing place was getting bear to put his head in the bush to get attacked by bees. The lessons taught by Uncle Remus would be valuable today, even if the vehicle used at the time would have "issues" in this politically correct time.
Does Indy have such visually stunning characters? I mean, beside the big rolling stone and Karen Allen?

Well, Indy and his hat and whip, etc is a pretty classic character

But do think those films are more about the setting, and the fun adventure ... and the music too

So I agree with others if you have the equivalent of an “adventure land” that has some references to Indy it could work - but we don’t need like a Crystal Skulls dark ride or anything

So I agree with others if you have the equivalent of an “adventure land” that has some references to Indy it could work - but we don’t need like a Crystal Skulls dark ride or anything

Exactly! Let Indy inform the work, but don't feel the need to replicate old plots or characters. There is *so much* atmosphere to draw on.

DSS called me today about our April 2019 trip and during the conversation he told me that Mickey and minnie runaway railway would be open for that trip. I wonder how much they really know? But I am not getting my hopes up, just wanted to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter