The Rose Gold Rat Pack Takes on WDW! A July 2018 TR (Update x2 11/11)

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by coloredimage, Jul 30, 2018.

1. coloredimage

coloredimage DIS Veteran

Day Three: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Break!

Spoiler: While there are definitely more photos from this day than I had from my weekend in Universal, I found that it was a lot easier to just sit back and enjoy universal with my friends instead of taking pictures. Also, with having to put our bags into lockers so frequently it just became a hassle to take my camera out so often.

So, the next morning we were up by 6:30 and met at the front of Art of Animation. We were going to just get an Uber to Universal, but we didn’t want to split up between two Ubers and the only options were for six people. Kyle went to the concierge desk to ask what their opinion was of our options and they offered to get us a Mears minibus. I was hesitant - I have had some bad luck with Mears and Universal before - but it was a good price ($5 each) and we could all go together. So we hopped into the Mears and were on our way by 7:30.

When we got to City Walk, we stopped quickly at Starbucks to grab something to eat and were on our way.

We didn’t buy our tickets until we got there because we didn’t want to buy them and then decide we weren’t going to go to Universal. We split up into groups - Kristen bought her ticket herself, Jen and Jenny bought tickets together, I bought Sadie’s ticket with mine, and Kyle and Liz bought tickets together. It just made everything easier. But we had gotten there so early we probably wouldn’t have had to do that if we hadn’t already planned it. The night before we had a talk about what people could afford and what they couldn’t, so we had a good handle on what we were going to do for the day.

Right away we split up. Kyle, Kristen, and Sadie ran over to the gates to Islands of Adventure and rode Hulk, Doom, and Dudley Do Right right away. Jen, Jenny, Liz, and I stayed together. We’re not rollercoaster people so we were going to just walk slowly through Universal and do whatever jumped out at us.

[​IMG]

We started with Shrek since it had such a short wait. We then hopped over to Jimmy Fallon and rode that. Liz was on a mission to get an Auntie Anne’s pretzel (she loves them, it’s a bit of a running joke) but realized that her money was in Kyle’s wallet. We had decided to only bring three bags, mine, Jenny’s and Kristen’s, so playing bag shuffle was part of the game that day. Instead, we went to ride E.T.

[​IMG]

It was the longest wait we had so far, 20 minutes, but it was about 10:30 by that point so people had gotten spread out around the park. In all honesty, though, the entire day we didn’t really deal with bad crowds - a Tuesday is apparently a great day to go to Universal.

We got a text from Kyle saying that he, Kristen, and Sadie were headed back to Universal to meet up with us and get something to eat. As we were walking past the Mummy we saw that it was still only a 5 minute wait. Liz doesn’t like the Mummy ride but Jen, Jenny, and I love it, so she took my bag and Jen and Jenny’s stuff and waited for us.

It was literally a 5 minute wait, which was awesome. We basically walked right on to the ride. Jen sat between us and got her arm stuck against the lap bar during a turn we had all forgotten about so she called it her Mummy bite for the rest of the day lol.

Once we were off the ride we went to stand in the limited amount of shade near the stage to wait for the other three to join us. We found them fairly quickly (we were all strongly in theme again on this day) and we offered to hold their things since Rip, Ride, Rock It was a pretty short wait. We spent the time waiting for them talking to the woman next to us. We watched someone lose their glasses off the ride and she joked it was probably someone in her party.

When we were all together permanently we decided it was time for lunch. It was only around 11:30 but we hadn’t had much for breakfast and had been up for a while. The only thing we knew we didn’t want to do for lunch was Leaky Cauldron as we had all decided it was going to be where we had dinner that night. We weren’t sure where we wanted to go eat but Springfield seemed to be as decent a place to start as any so we headed over there.

Since there were a bunch of options to choose from in Springfield Kristen offered to go grab my food while I went to find a table big enough for all of us. I ended up getting chicken thumbs as did Kristen and Sadie got buffalo chicken. They were okay, not awesome, but regular fast food, theme park chicken.

[​IMG]

Jen and Jenny got the chicken and waffle sandwich. They liked it in the moment in that it wasn’t soggy or anything, but when we talked about it later Jen said it was nothing special.

[​IMG]

Kyle and Liz both got carne asada tacos.

When we had gone into Springfield the wait for the Simpsons ride had been 20 minutes. We decided that if it was still that short after we ate that we would head there next as our first ride with all of us together.

After checking out Lard Lad

[​IMG]

And deciding a donut after the food we had just eaten was a horrible idea, we headed over to the Simpsons Ride to check out the wait. As we were walking over Kyle noticed that Sideshow Bob was out and had a super short wait time. He loves Sideshow Bob (I do too, to be honest) so he and Liz got in line to meet him.

When Bob saw our matching shirts were our Hogwarts houses, he came out of his queue and grabbed Jenny, beckoning all of us to come take a picture with him, Slytherins with Bob.

[​IMG]

I’m pretty sure our meet and greet with Bob was our favorite of the entire trip that we all did together. We all talked about it a lot after we got back from our trip.

After that we got in line for the Simpsons Ride. We got to have our own room/vehicle to ourselves which was awesome and let us just be ourselves on the ride without having other people around us that we were bothering. We’re pretty sure the vehicle operator was laughing at us by the time we got off. Oh well!

Once off we rode Men in Black because it was a half hour wait. Men in Black is one of my favorite movies and definitely one of my favorite rides. Fun fact: I saw the guy who did the expo intro with us in July as a rides operator in October and recognized him. He did an awesome job and definitely had fun working the ride. Sadie and I rode together. Sadie got the bonus but until that point I had been beating her.

After a quick water break it was time for us to do the thing we all had been waiting for - we headed to Diagon Alley!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second we got to Diagon Alley it was pretty close to an hour since we had eaten and we were getting HOT. Our first order of business was to head over to Florean Fortiscue’s. Since I hadn’t had much water that day, I also grabbed some water along with my ice cream. I ended up getting my favorite, earl grey and lavender!

[​IMG]

We enjoyed our ice cream as we walked around and managed to get a group shot of us!

[​IMG]

After our treat we got into line for Gringotts. It was an hour wait so we spent the time playing games and figuring out our next move for the day. We all had fun on the ride! But once we were done we decided to split up - Jen and Jenny were going to stay in Universal to explore a bit more while the rest of us got in line to take the Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure.

2. coloredimage

coloredimage DIS Veteran

Part Two

So, we left Jen and Jenny at Universal. We were going to meet back up with them for dinner, around 7-ish, so we were going to have about three hours in Islands of Adventure. It took us about an hour in line until we could get on the Hogwarts Express:

[​IMG]

And by the time we got to Hogsmeade Liz’s friend D was waiting for us there. She had gotten out of work and knew we were at Universal so she drove over to spend a couple hours with us before going home.

[​IMG]

Even though it was only a couple of hours before we were going to have dinner Kyle was getting hungry. His tacos hadn’t really left him full at lunch. So we walked through Hogsmeade and made our way over to the Dino Institute for Kyle to grab a burger. We all used it as a water/bio break. Then we headed back to Hogsmeade. On the way Liz and Kyle both grabbed a drink from the little kiosk right before you leave Jurassic Park and since it was hot and we were going to be standing in line at Hogwarts for the next hour I grabbed a frozen butterbeer to enjoy.

[​IMG]

We had fun on our ride through Hogwarts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided that, since we had some time to kill and it was super hot, we would do a couple more rides before we headed back to meet up with Jen and Jenny. But first D snapped this really cute picture of Sadie, Liz, Kristen, and I in our Hogwarts pride.

[​IMG]

Throughout the day, Kristen got one of two responses from people who saw she was a Hufflepuff: when we went into Knockturn Alley she was told to grab a broom and start cleaning, but when we were in Krustyland she got high-fived for showing off her Hufflepuff pride. When she got razzed about being a Hufflepuff at one point she said to the Team Member “I am a strong, independent Hufflepuff and I don’t need no other ‘Puff.” This is possibly my favorite quote of the entire trip and was almost the title for this portion of the Trip Report. Kyle’s super obnoxious “And break” that he had us do every time we regrouped seemed slightly more appropriate though.

We also stopped in Toon Lagoon because Kyle had broken his sunglasses earlier that day, so he went to one of the stores there to buy a new pair. At that point we were all super hot and uncomfortable so we decided why not ride Bilge Rat Barges? The posted wait time was only 20 minutes.

The actual wait time was closer to 5. It just took that long to walk through that darn queue. I remember once, when I was like 14 or so, we got stuck in the queue for Bilge Rat Barges for 3 hours because of lightning in the area and there being no escape because of the way the stanchions are built. We had a 7-8 year old with us (it was a family trip that year) and we played so many games of 20 questions. So. Many. Games. This time though we barely had time to talk!

We got into a boat with a couple who were a couple years old than us and were thankfully just as ready to have a good time as the rest of us. They started laughing at D and I because we were clinging to each other, desperately trying to avoid the torrent of water that was aimed directly at us. In the end, we were drenched! I normally hate water rides but that day it was definitely needed.

However, it took forever to dry off and we were those people who still went on to another round of rides. Spider-Man to be exact. The wait was a half hour and you could definitely tell where we had been standing for a long period of time. I officially apologize to anyone who had been near us during that time. We also hated ourselves. But at least we weren’t over-heating anymore?

Spider-Man was our last ride in Islands. It was getting late and we had to meet Jen and Jenny for dinner. Also, D had to get home . We decided that it would probably be faster to walk back to Universal through the front gates. We also didn’t really want to go onto the Hogwarts Express still wet. So we followed D out and headed back to Universal.

It was kind of raining as we walked. And once we got back to Universal it was about 7. The Superstar parade had just started so we had to dodge through the streets in order to get back to Diagon Alley. We barely made it. Also, my friends are a heck of a lot faster than I am so they had to stop and wait for me.

Jen and Jenny were waiting for us on the stage in Diagon Alley. They had done some shopping and watched some of the shows while we were away, but we were all ready for some dinner.

We were served super quickly at Leaky and the food was good, like it normally is. I got fish and chips and a fishy green ale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liz got the banger sandwich. Kyle got fish and chips with a glass of wine. Jen got cottage pie and butterbeer. Jenny also got the same thing but my notes says her was a piespolsion? And Sadie and Kristen both got the kids mac and cheese. Which is a gigantic portion, by the way.

Once we finished eating it was close to 8. We really had no interest in staying much longer. We had hoped we could see a soft opening of the new water show since we knew that was supposed to happen that day, but with the storms rolling in we doubted it would be worth it to stay. Kristen just had one request - she needed to stop at Ollivander’s to get a wand for her mother as a present.

We left just before 8 and waited about 10 minutes for a taxi back to Art of Animation. So, I don’t have great luck with taxis leaving Universal, as I’ve mentioned in the past. I know I’ve talked about it in previous TRs but let me just explain in this one:

Previous Taxi Experience:

The last time I had gone to Universal at all had been 8 years earlier. It had been myself, Jen, and my mother and we had gone for the morning just to see Hogwarts the summer it opened. We had dinner reservations at Epcot that day because my father really doesn’t love Universal so he decided to run some errands in Orlando then meet us back in Disney that day. So, we took a Mear’s taxi to Epcot. The guy kept referring to the park as “Efcot”, took the normal car lane at the gate instead of the taxi lane, got mad that he had to be $14, then couldn’t figure out where to drop us off (because he was nowhere near the taxi drop off) so we got out in a random aisle in the parking lot, paid, and ran for it. This is the taxi ride that has stuck with me throughout my adult life, even though I have taken many taxis before that and since then.

This time: We had a driver that seemed okay. He wasn’t chatty but whatever. Kyle tried to make small talk but the man didn’t really respond. When we got to AoA instead of taking the right to go into the guest drop off he took a left towards the bus lane. Instead of just continuing in the through lane next to it and turning around he DROVE ONTO THE SIDEWALK. Like up the dip in the pavement for wheelchair access. TURNED AROUND ON THE SIDEWALK then went OVER THE CURB. We all thought the van was going to tip over. It was terrifying. Once he pulled up to the actual passenger drop off there was a cast member waiting. He came over to the driver’s side window and I didn’t hear what was said specifically but the gist of what I heard was that they had taken down his plates and they were calling Mears with a complaint and that he may have to pay for the repainting of the sidewalk. The next morning when we walked by there were definitely skid marks on the pavement.

Also, his card reader didn’t work. Kyle put his card through to pay and it wouldn’t go through. He blamed Kyle’s card, but Jen tried hers as well and it didn’t work. It kept saying connection error. Jenny handed over cash just so we wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore and we fled to our rooms.

We were back in our rooms and going to bed by 11 pm, which is probably the earliest we went to bed all trip! Also, the second we got back into our hotel room the skies opened up and a gigantic thunderstorm started, so at least we got out of that. Our next day was going to be a later day for most of us, which we were all excited about.

3. coloredimage

coloredimage DIS Veteran

4. Wayland10

Wayland10 Mouseketeer

Plus poisson? Extra fish? Maybe? What an insane taxi ride! I wonder if he was banned from Disney somehow. Imagine that notation in your employee file!