The Quest for a Loaf of Bread - A 4th of July TR- COMPLETED 8/4/18

I am a Realtor and pet care business owner in Minnesota

Well, hi there, neighbour! (close enough) Probably driven right by your house a million times.

Restaurant- Prior to this trip, Skipper Canteen. After this trip...stay tuned!

ooooohhh... cliffhanger right out of the gate.

My employees are so picky about getting paid!

ingrates

They told me they’d pick me up at 4:50 the next morning

Only for Disney is it worth getting up that early.

took some Benadryl because my allergies were killing me. I actually got some sleep because of it!

heh. fringe benefit.

at 4:35 I get a text that they are outside waiting for me. Holy cow. I ran around like a chicken with it’s head cut off

:eek: RUN!!!!

I am certain I’ve forgotten something important but honestly, I’m too tired to care and I want to go on vacation!

Cue foreboding musi

DC1 surprises us with first class tickets (yay!)

Nice! :)

I’m sitting next to a nice lady who says nothing other than Hi for the whole flight.

My kind of seat-mate.

We had breakfast on the plane, mine was granola, fruit, and a croissant, plus a yogurt that I left for them as I can’t eat much dairy. It was a completely edible meal ;)

:laughing:

We landed early at MCO, around 11 am, and headed for the Magical Express. Our bus was waiting and we walked right on!

Starting off on the right foot!

We have a mid afternoon ADR at Splitsville

Oh! I don't know anyone who's made an ADR there.

As soon as we get on the boat, DC1 gets a text that our room is ready, go figure.

But of course. :rolleyes:

As we pull away, it starts thundering and our captain says he may have to drop us at Treehouse Village if he’s told to dock. We ask (beg, plead) for him to try and make it all the way and he agrees. Luckily, he isn’t told to find the nearest dock until we are closer to the Marketplace. Whew.

Phew! I don't think I've ever been on that boat (from POR) and had that happen. Close call!

I get a Hawaiian pizza

So you're the one. And... you're welcome.

the cupcake was dry, partially frozen, and super sweet.

ew

20180630_143228-jpg.335569

That looks pretty good! (minus the pineapple.)

I was very glad the animatronic was working.

Oh? Have there been issues? Haven't heard of that.

we headed over to Dinosaur. I know a lot of people have mixed reviews on this ride but I really like it!

I like it well enough. :)

We headed over to Everest next which had about an hour wait.

Nope!

So... why didn't you use the single-rider line?

The eyes on the lady next to me got pretty big when she heard DC1 and she asked me if I had issues with heights. I told her yes but laughed and said I’d ridden before. She was pretty sure I was going to freak out on her!

:lmao:

DC2 and I poncho’d up for this one but we really didn’t get wet.

Because of the ponchos? Or because you mostly avoided the spray?

the cute little anoles kept us entertained (Well, kept DC1 and I entertained, DC2 thought they were terrifying).

I really loved this show! The projections were great and I thought the music fit it very well.

I was only "meh" with it. Could take it or leave it. But...

I’m also an animal lover and very into conservation so it was a good fit for me.

... that makes sense.

Back later for more. :)

Well, hi there, neighbour! (close enough) Probably driven right by your house a million times.

Reading through all your TR's, you probably have :rotfl:

Oh! I don't know anyone who's made an ADR there.

We wanted to make sure there were places DC2 could eat and this was a good option.

That looks pretty good! (minus the pineapple.)

Don't go hating on the pineapple! That's what makes it healthy

So... why didn't you use the single-rider line?

We didn't want to risk separating from DC2 so early in the trip, since she was a bit anxious

Because of the ponchos? Or because you mostly avoided the spray?

Completely avoided the spray, just had to deal with the sweaty ponchos

Reading through all your TR's, you probably have :rotfl:

:laughing: ::yes::

We wanted to make sure there were places DC2 could eat and this was a good option.

Ah! Makes sense. :)

Don't go hating on the pineapple! That's what makes it healthy

I will eat Hawaiian, but tend to pick the pineapple off after the first slice.
Not the best Canadian invention, IMHO.

We didn't want to risk separating from DC2 so early in the trip, since she was a bit anxious

Gotcha.

Completely avoided the spray, just had to deal with the sweaty ponchos

But if you didn't have them... you would've gotten soaked. Guaranteed.

Ack, my phone messed up my multi quotes but you get the general idea

That's okay. I fixed it for you. ;)

We saw bread in the POFQ shop yesterday so we tell her we can go down to buy a loaf (we brought peanut butter). Of course, both loaves are gone when we get down there.

Of course. :sad2:

DC2 is upset and we tell her we can try stopping at a different resort later in the day to buy some there (or, as this quest could be know, why you should just order from Amazon).

:rolleyes1

we probably wait about 25 minutes for the MK bus. No big deal, it’s bound to happen every once in a while, right?!

Right. 25 is getting close to too long, but... pretty sure Disney says busses are supposed to come every 20. So I consider 20 or less a win. 25... I'll accept.

Pirates of the Caribbean right away. We get super wet on this ride, what a way to start the day!

:lmao: You stay dry on Kali but get soaked on Pirates!

MDE shows Jungle Cruise as a 10 minute wait so we head over but the line is out the queue and listed at 50 minutes so we skip.

Huh. Odd. You'd think it'd be a bit more accurate than that!

The bumpy drop to the Laughing Place just about does me in and the big drop is not fun at all.

Oh dear.

We have the first two rows and get drenched as well.

Rookie mistake. One reason why I always take the last row. ;)

Now I’m shaky and have wet underwear, ugh.

Um... I'm trying not to laugh... Really, I am.

We have another FP for Splash on our next MK day but DC1 says I'll enjoy it more the next time. She's usually right

Hmmm.... I'm surprised that you're keeping it. Curious to see how that goes.

We figure our next FP at Big Thunder Mountain might help dry us out and will at least raise our spirits! This is one of my favorites

::yes::

DC1 had the fajita platter that looked much better.

Huh! I haven't been since they got rid of the burgers... but that sounds good.

we head to our last FP at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. This is such a fun ride but there’s no way I’d wait for it without a FP.

I agree. Rope drop (although I'd probably rope drop something else) or FP only. Unless for some reason the line is short.

We immediately get in line for The Little Mermaid and only have about a 10 minute wait.

Never a line for that one, it seems.

Peter Pan has a short-ish time listed in MDE so we walk over but it was also a lie

:sad2:
I would've been shocked if that one was short.

Tomorrowland is next and we get right on the PeopleMover. This is just the best and there was such a nice breeze blowing up high.

:) Nice!

we head in to the Carousel of Progress. I manage to stay awake through the majority of it!

Last stop for now is It’s a Small World - short wait and air conditioning always wins even though the ride grates on me.

Hmmm... I might have to suffer in the heat. How close am I to death?

Gotta get to work, more later. :)

We have a 5:05 reservation at Maria & Enzo’s in Disney Springs

I don't think I know anyone who's tried this yet.
And after your mini-review... I'm not sure about it. Mixed feelings.

we decide to catch the monorail to the Contemporary to grab that loaf of bread,

You mean "elusive loaf of bread", yes?

We’ve walked about 9 miles so far and that hill up to the monorail is a killer.

:hug:

Just as we get there, the monorail breaks down.

You're kidding me!

The bus takes forever to come, well over 20 minutes again.

Oh, man... Not going overly well today.

There’s no bread at the shop

It takes a long time for a ferry to come from Riverside heading to Disney Springs and when the captain starts loading, he stops the line right in front of us.

Noooooo!!!

I make a sad face and mention missing our dinner reservation, as it’s about 4:40 right now. The captain walks back to the ferry, looks around, and comes back to get us! Thanks Captain Franz, you saved our evening!

Wow. I wonder why he stopped it in the first place then? I presume you had seats?

Maria & Enzo’s is very pretty inside and so bright and airy for an Italian restaurant.

So far so good. :)

My aunt and I got the chicken parm

mmmmm....

The chicken parm was amazing

Good! One vote for...

DC2 barely had enough sauce on hers to make the noodles wet.

And a couple of votes against. Hmm...

everyone else got gelato

mmm... another vote for!

We also still needed to find that elusive loaf of bread.

There it is. Elusive. Good.

We head to the store at Yacht Club aaaaaand no bread. Is bread not a thing at Disney?

:laughing: Apparently not so much!

So, we walk to Beach Club. Lo and behold, an entire rack of bread! I swear, the angels were singing in the background!:dogdance:

nuns... not angels. Best I could do.

We make it as far as Norway and realize we can’t see the line for Frozen Ever After. Only DC1 has ridden this so we head in. We waited less than 10 minutes to ride and it’s such a cute ride!

Oh! Glad you got to try it. It is cute... but not something I'd stand in line for more than a few minutes.

apparently our original bus caught fire on the side of the highway.

:eek: That's a good excuse and... lucky you weren't on it!!

We get back to our room and DC2 makes her sandwich.

She better have really enjoyed that sammie!

It’s Friday morning and I’m avoiding doing boring work by writing this instead :)

That's exactly what the DIS is for. ;)

Awww...

DC2 had a peanut butter sandwich (eating that bread is now a requirement!!!!).

Soooo... if she'd said she didn't want to eat that anymore, would you have killed her?

At 9:32, I get the happiest notification ever - EE is down and we have multiple experience FP’s!!!

Well... yay?

The bus finally arrived at 9:45, good grief.

Holy crap! You waited an hour???? :faint:

DC2 is terrified of birds so we made sure to get seats towards the back where they wouldn’t fly over her. As a side note, every bird in Disney tried to fly at her this week.

:laughing: Figures!

A duck even hit here in the head with it’s wing.

No way!

points about parrots making hard pets.

Interesting that they'd include that. And... good.

The Dug and Russell parts were cute but the main female actress got on my nerves a bit.

Oh? Why? Last time I was there was pre-Up overlay.

We grabbed some water after the show because it was already stifling in the park.

Almost as hot as a Minnesota summer!

This was probably our hottest day of the trip and my weather app showed the heat index at 107F

eep! :scared:

I wasn’t sure if many animals would be active but we saw a ton, including the painted dogs running around and the scimitar horned oryx, which is apparently rare.

Good! :)

DC2 wanted a giant pickle and roasted corn

What?!?!?! Where is this????????????

DC1 hated the filling in her pods

Well... must admit that it didn't look too appealing.

After lunch we headed to Finding Nemo: The Musical. I hadn’t seen this before and it was cute. Not the best show in the parks but definitely an enjoyable way to spend some time indoors.

It's okay, and I was happy to do it, but... once and done I think.

When the show ended, we decided to get on EE as single riders since we’d missed out in the morning. We practically walked on! I love single rider.

As the train starts pulling away, she asks me what type of ride this is. Um, really?!

"It's a very slow ride. Similar to the Peoplemover in MK."

MDE listed Dinosaur as a 20 min wait but when we walked over it was actually 50 min.

MDE isn't overly accurate it seems. Wonder if Lines is better.

I think Pandora is beautiful and was excited to ride Flights of Passage but not expecting to love it. DC2 gets motion sick on Star Tours and Mission Space so we were a little worried about her.

I can see that.

She had also switched to the non-drowsy natural Dramamine today instead of the regular because the regular was making her super tired the past few days, to the point where she couldn’t remember parts of the day.

That's not good! :eek:

the ride was amazing!! I was really worried it wouldn’t live up to the hype but it was incredible.

:goodvibes So glad you loved it!

DC1 and DC2 also loved it and no issues with motion sickness at all.

Yay!

I still haven’t gotten to walk all the animal trails at AK but I guess that’s another reason to come back!

The food was okay but nothing to write home about.

Yep. That'd be my assessment as well.

we headed to Big Thunder, which was listed as a 10 minute wait. It was definitely longer than that but so worth it to ride in the dark. This was my favorite ride on Big Thunder this trip.

Love riding it in the dark... and don't very often.

snacked in our room for breakfast

Peanut butter sandwiches?

I made my whole family leave and they never let me live it down.

So... I presume that's you in front, then DC1 and DC2 in the rear?

We got rows 1 and 2 again and got drenched, again.

Did I like it more this time? Not really. She was right that it wasn’t quite as bad but I’m really not a fan.

But good for you for trying it again!

I have not seen Song of the South

Be tough to do. Isn't it banned or something?

I got the Mrs. Incredible’s Super Stretchy Burger without the ranch sauce (yuck) and it was really good!

Oh really! I've been looking for a place in Disney for a decent burger.

we headed over to our last mountain FP at Big Thunder. We got on quickly and were able to ride before they shut it down.

good timing. :)

We thought a train ride around MK would be nice so we headed into the Frontierland depot. Just as we got in, the storm broke loose and they shut it down.

Huh. I didn't know they shut that down too.

Children are not my favorite to start with but children allowed to run wild and be rude to other people really irritates me.

Don't know if anyone is a fan of rude kids.
I've seen too many parents who don't know how to (or simply won't) parent.

When one child tried to climb between my legs under the bench, I said “Hey” and glared at her. I must have scared her because she kept her distance! My parents would have been appalled if I acted like that as a child.

Good!

And yes. Mine wouldn't have let me do that either.

DC1 and I had eaten here on our last trip and we had a super punny server and some excellent food.

Always good when you can get a good server. :)

DC2 went for mac and cheese.

Shocked!

I decided to branch out and try the pork chops since they were highly recommended. I was disappointed. The pork was fine but the sauce was very sweet and sticky and the side of bok choy was flavorless and sad.

Too bad. I've had them and enjoyed them.
May have skipped the bok choy though.

At least I got a Fuel Rod kit and got my phone charging. Holy cow do those things get hot!!!

Oh really! Huh. Never used one so wasn't aware. My charger doesn't seem to get hot. Huh.

I also wasn’t feeling the greatest after my dinner.

Sorry to hear that.

We all walked to the Carousel together but it was down so we headed to Winnie the Pooh...which was down.

No luck but bad luck for you. :(

We were also awarded a multiple experiences FP from Winnie the Pooh.

Nice! Better than the ride.

How awesome is this spot?!

Very. :thumbsup2

Joffery’s didn’t have free ice water so we went for smore’s lattes instead. Haha practically the same thing!

we made DC2 ride in front this time. Listening to her scream was almost as much fun as the ride itself!

We arrived shortly after 9am and the park was super empty!

Nice!!

We got right up into the loading area before the ride went down.

You guys seem to be having the worst luck with rides!

We headed over for our Soarin’ FP next and got the middle row right in the middle.

Perfect! I can't stand the sides and don't ride there anymore.

I couldn’t wait to do this again because I made a fool of myself last trip. When you get towards the end and they put the projections on the aquarium, I didn’t realize it was the actual aquarium and told DC1 I was so impressed by how realistic the ride was.

:rotfl:

Manatees are my favorite animals in the entire world and are the reason I originally went into the animal care field as a profession.

Really! What is it about them that attracts you?
And... I wonder what they fed them during the romaine recall?

Our last FP was for Mission:Space and we did the green side. This ride really set off DC2’s motion sickness

Good thing you didn't do the Orange side. :eek:

I personally think it’s boring. I’ve done it twice now and could care less if I do it again. The screens are so tiny and I find it hard to even get a sensation that something is happening. I also don’t really enjoy how closed in it is.

Sounds like three strikes and you're out.

That looks good!

The wait time said 45 minutes and it was pretty close to that. DC1 decided that was too long to wait for this ride,

I agree with her.

As we were walking out of the ride, DC1 couldn’t find her phone in her pocket. Uh oh.

oh no

about 10 minutes later a guest got off the boat with the phone and handed it to the CMs

Yay! Glad there are honest people still.

With a new “no phones in pockets” rule in place

It took about 20 minutes of standing in line to get to the podium to check in and about another 15 minutes to be seated

Bit long for an ADR.

DC2 was freezing inside the restaurant and it didn’t help her mood.

oh dear.

DC2 ordered the margherita pizza without basil (so, cheese pizza),

I branched out and went with the Prosciutto e Melone - white pizza with fontina, mozzarella, prosciutto, cantaloupe, and arugula. I asked if it was an amazing pizza or something on the menu to trick tourists and he assured me that it was amazing if you don’t mind cold toppings on a hot pizza. My verdict- this was one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten! I would eat this frequently, if not daily.

Okay! Good to know. I've wondered about that pizza and almost ordered it myself. Thinking I should have. :)

DC2 stuck her spoon in her sundae glass and it shattered all over the table!

:eek:

A very annoying mother and daughter took their spots at the railing and literally complained for an hour because the show was delayed, everything was wet, they were bored, they’d been waiting almost an hour

Stupid of Disney not to put the dome up or move the storm somewhere else.

The fireworks afterwards were spectacular and the grand finale unbelievable!

:goodvibes

our Magical Express packet was waiting on our door and our pickup time tomorrow was much earlier than expected and we weren’t sure that we’d even make it to a park tomorrow :(

3 hours ahead?

My family also enjoyed picking on me for having my eyes closed in the ride photo so I was determined to keep them open this time!

Last night, DC2 had also told me that she was riding rides with DC1 from now on so I should plan to ride alone - but not to take it personally. Um, ok, how should I take that then?

Uh.... okay? Were you usually riding with DC2 and DC1 was alone? Maybe DC1 complained?

I actually really enjoyed this ride! (and kept my eyes open).

Good for you!

Next up was Tower of Terror! I was terrified of this on our last trip because I hate the stomach drop feeling but I quickly realized I really didn’t get it on this ride and it became a favorite. I still held on to the handles this trip but enjoyed it even more than the last time.

And... good for you again! Glad you enjoyed it. It's so well done.

We had commented this morning that it would be nice to have a day without water rides so maybe we could stay dry, but when the water mist started for the show it saturated the entire audience. Ugh. There were a ton of crying, soggy children after that.

Oh dear. haven't been in 14 years so don't remember getting wet at all.

we got to see the marching Army Men right away (so cool!).

It was a cute ride but pretty tame and very short.

That's what I've heard. Won't rush to ride it.

Cool shot. :)

I enjoyed the original Incredibles and will have to check out the new one sometime.

Have you seen it?

I thought Mr. Potato Head was fantastic.

I've been on the ride a few times and never seen him do anything.

It was a fun coaster with great views and I would definitely make plans to ride it again.

Good to hear! I have heard that from quite a few people. :)

There were a ton of ducks around and a mama brought out her ducklings - so cute!

Awwww...

They went right under my bench.

So ducks under your bench = ok. Kids under your bench = not so okay.

Some kids came over and started chasing the mama and babies and the parents said nothing.

Mama duck got startled and flew right at us, hitting DC2 with her wing! She really is a bird magnet.

So that's how it happened!

The show barely started when a storm moved in and they cancelled the rest of it.

See above comment re: bad luck with rides.

I also stopped and went through the gift shop at the end. Hey, I might as well enjoy my time on my own! I was getting very crabby by the end of this trip.

:hug:

DC1 talked us into going to the Frozen Sing a Long next. I hadn’t seen Frozen yet but DC2 and I agreed to go if we didn’t have to sing. This show was hilarious! I’d see it multiple times in a trip for sure. We got heavily snowed on too.

Haven't seen this. Looking forward to it in May.

Sci Fi Diner was DC2’s special request and the late ADR was all we could get.

Worth it if you get a good server... and sounds like you did. :)

When he brought out our meals, one of my crispy onions had fallen in her pasta, so she had to use a light to check every bite for other “contamination”

Is she highly allergic?

I’d over done it on onions and peppers and spent the night with a sad stomach too, but it was totally worth it.

Ummm... soooooo... good?

This really was our trip of bad luck with wait times! (but still totally worth it, I mean, it's Disney). I'm still excited for a more adult trip this year, containing less peanut butter and mac & cheese. :rotfl2:

We wanted to ride some rides and then DC1 and DC2 wanted to go back to PizzeRizzo before leaving. I agreed because it wasn’t worth fighting about and the pizza wasn’t bad, just not great.

Pick your battles. ::yes::

We used our Fastpasses for Rock n’ Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror right away and had great rides on both.

I think I might have dozed off during the show,

Awwww... :hug:

Most depressing sight ever.

I sat next to a gentleman that complained to the flight attendants about everything.

the kids were loud and poorly behaved

:( Come on. Does no one parent anymore???

Grandma had put in ear buds as soon as she was seated and basically ignored the kids until we landed.

Just as bad. If you're in charge... then be in charge.
I used to have to parent other peoples' kids at playgrounds when my kids were little because mom (or sometimes dad) was too busy chatting with a neighbor or (more likely) too busy on the phone.

Thank you for following along with my first (and hopefully not last) trip report!

Thanks for the ride! :goodvibes

This really was our trip of bad luck with wait times! (but still totally worth it, I mean, it's Disney). I'm still excited for a more adult trip this year, containing less peanut butter and mac & cheese. :rotfl2:
:lmao: I bet!

Great trip report! I'm impressed with how many fast passes you were able to score. I always heard how crowded it is around the holidays but your experience makes me think 4th of July is not too bad. I understand getting crabbier as the week wears on; the heat in July is almost unbearable and when you combine that with long park days anyone would get agitated. I hope there will be other reports; thanks for sharing!

Great trip report! I'm impressed with how many fast passes you were able to score. I always heard how crowded it is around the holidays but your experience makes me think 4th of July is not too bad. I understand getting crabbier as the week wears on; the heat in July is almost unbearable and when you combine that with long park days anyone would get agitated. I hope there will be other reports; thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I was certainly trying for whatever fast passes I could get since it was so hot for standing in line. Fourth of July was busier than our February trip but not drastically so. I would do it again in a heartbeat! New PTR starting soon and hopefully at least 1 trip to WDW later this year.

Great report, I'm going to try and squeeze in an ADR for Via Napoli on our last full day in August, I've saw quite a few appealing pizzas in TR's lately, and I'm craving one so bad now!

Hoping that Galaxy's edge is open for your Fall trip!

Great report, I'm going to try and squeeze in an ADR for Via Napoli on our last full day in August, I've saw quite a few appealing pizzas in TR's lately, and I'm craving one so bad now!

Hoping that Galaxy's edge is open for your Fall trip!

Thank you! I highly recommend Via Napoli if you like that style of pizza, it was super tasty. I doubt Galaxy's Edge will be open for my next trip but I'm actually okay with that. I'd rather wait to enjoy that once the crowds have cut back a bit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter