The possibility of scheduling DAS's first ride of the day at Guest Services

Erin1213

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
My DS18, who has autism, has been a frequent visitor to Disney World, since he was 5 years old. We have adapted well to the DAS system, but I could use a little bit of guidance or suggestions for this part. He would like to try Flights of Passage. He also wants to ride Navi Journey, so depending on which Fast pass I get, will determine next course of action. I've been checking frequently the posted wait times on My Disney Experience, since that is what the cast member officially go by when scheduling a DAS return. I notice that 15 minutes prior to park opening, the My Disney Experience App is already showing wait times for the ride. I'm sure they are estimating based on the number of people at the front gate area. Do you think it's possible for Guest Services to schedule the DAS based on this? If so the return time would be around 60 to 90 minutes, which I could easily work into our park day. I know many people rope drop this ride, but my son doesn't do well being so called "cattle herd" to a ride. If I have to actually walk up to the ride, by the time I get there the wait could be easily over 210. Thanks for all your help.

I have heard of people getting a DAS return time at Guest Relations when first requesting the DAS. I have also heard reports of others who asked and were told no. The best you can do is ask. But you'd have to weigh the possibility of lost time waiting and then asking and told no, to the amount of time it would take to walk your son to the ride in the first place. Will anyone else be with you? Someone who could either be the runner to get the return time, or stay somewhere with your son while you run to get the return time? I haven't been since either of the new rides opened, but what I've read sounds like NRJ is likely a shorter wait than FoP. If you have a full week or longer and can plan AK for the end of your trip, you might be able to score a FP+ for FoP; I think that's easiest at least 5-6 days into your trip.

Enjoy your vacation!

You can always ask, but there is no way yo know for sure until you get there.
During our trip in late October thru early November 2017, we went to AK 3 times when we needed to go to Guest Relations. In past trips, Guest Relations at that park was not very busy. But, during this trip, we waited each time for around 1/2 hour.
I’m not positive what the difference was, but think it was related to the general busy conditions in the park due to Pandora’s opening.
So, if you do decide to try it, be prepared for a wait.

I have been told that only time that you can get a return time at guest service is when you are first setting up a DAS and only if the park is opened. other times they may do it as a pixie dust thing. Do you have more then one adult going if so one of you could go and get the return time first thing and have the other adult with your son and slowly walk to the ride, ( everyone needs to be in the park to get the return time on the ride) but your son does not have to be at the ride to get the return time.

Thanks everyone! <preparing to put on my running shoes> My husband and son can head up slowly, while I make like "Bullseye" and head over to Flight of passage. Hopefully, we'll get the fast pass since we will be there for 12 days and we have Animal Kingdom scheduled for our 3rd and 10th day of the trip.

Thanks everyone! <preparing to put on my running shoes> My husband and son can head up slowly, while I make like "Bullseye" and head over to Flight of passage. Hopefully, we'll get the fast pass since we will be there for 12 days and we have Animal Kingdom scheduled for our 3rd and 10th day of the trip.
sounds like a plan.
Also keep checking on MDE app. People do change their plans and Fastpasses become available sometimes with short notice.

In October, I had to get a DAS each day for my son (because I am a CM admitting him-- but not a local CM, not frequent visitors). Interesting side note, the year before, they gave me a card that allowed me to avoid this daily procedure.... but the CM said I should not have been given that card, that it was only for kids under age 3 using a DAS, so THEY would not have to get a DAS each day. Hmm.

Anyway, each day I asked for the Guest Relations CM to put the first ride on the DAS immediately. I was only told no, once at Epcot (yet on an earlier day at Epcot, the CM did it). I was a little taken aback when the CM denied the request, because he sort of rude to at me and I had no idea at the time that this was (sometimes) not allowed.

I will probably keep asking for the first DAS ride at guest relations, can't hurt to ask. Other times, when I did not ask, the CM would offer, so who the heck knows.

When we were at Animal Kingdom last month, my DS11 got his DAS at Guest Relations and we asked for a return time for Flights of Passage. The CM told us that FoP is on a different system and they couldn't give us a return time for that particular ride at Guest Relations, but they'd be happy to give us a return time for anything else. So we got a return time for Everest instead and later in the day we sent our runner (DS14) to get the return time for FoP. Anyway, I don't know if that's still the case, but that was the info we were given last month.

When we were at Animal Kingdom last month, my DS11 got his DAS at Guest Relations and we asked for a return time for Flights of Passage. The CM told us that FoP is on a different system and they couldn't give us a return time for that particular ride at Guest Relations, but they'd be happy to give us a return time for anything else. So we got a return time for Everest instead and later in the day we sent our runner (DS14) to get the return time for FoP. Anyway, I don't know if that's still the case, but that was the info we were given last month.
That does not surprise me.
That is consistent with how WDW did the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ride and Frozen Ever After when they were fairly new.

Went a month ago got to AK around 3 pm when in to get a DAS the CM asked me if I wanted a return time I said yes she asked for FOP I said how did you know she said since I had my FOP shirt on and MB she just guessed.

I am not really buying they can not give a return time for just one ride ( not saying it did not happen to you just do not think the CM know what they were doing or the ride might have been down then they could not give you one). I would ask if anyone else goes

Just something to add I have someone that lives down the street from me they are there now ( first time in 15 or so years) there first park was AK and they got FOP DAS when they got there DAS a few hours ago at GS. SO now I am wondering if the ride was down and that is why they could not give you a return time?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!