The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

I would go to Montreal just for one of the Beaver Tails here! We got stuck in Montreal for 24 hours on our way to Barcelona last month and found this place. Just an FYI: they only take cash. I didn't have any CAD because we had only planned on passing through airports in Canada. My daughter really wanted the beaver tail so we searched for an ATM. We found one, got cash, and headed back to get our Beaver Tail only to see that there was an ATM in Queues de Castor! The guy at the counter DID NOT tell us that!

If you have kids and go to Montreal, the science museum was fabulous and my daughter saw Voiles en Voiles (an amazing looking ropes course type park) and really wanted to do it, but it was raining when we were there. We really enjoyed our time in Montreal even though we hadn't planned on spending time there. It is a beautiful city and I would love to go back someday.

I agree with everything you said.

What is more interesting about the location? The difference in price is about 15 usd a night. Really not a factor. The Square Phillips gets really good reviews, but the Embassy Suites is new so maybe it just go off to a rocky start.

The Embassy is close to the subway station and right next to the Old Montreal, which is, IMO much more cuter than the Ville-Marie (Downtown) area. Unless you REALLY like shopping. :)

QUEBEC CITY - Château Frontenac

You'd think that with the size of the Chateau I would get a clue. Still, I honestly had no idea that the Chateau Frontenac hotel would be that busy but when I went to the Champlain Restaurant to experiment their Afternoon Tea.

The Chateau is absolutely breathtaking. The hotel is a masterpiece. While I haven't stayed there, I have been able to visit a bit before the AT and I loved what I saw. I wish I had the chance to experiment their Spa as well. Maybe next time?

For the Afternoon Tea we were seated near the window where we had a great view from the Terasse Dufferin and the port. I was told they were gonna change the location of the Afternoon Tea event and that it would be on a lower level, however, the people having tea there should have a great view from the Terasse.

For 42$/pp each of us had 1 pot of tea, salty bites (6 or 7 each, I think they were not outstanding but very good), 1 fluffy scone with Devonshire Cream and jam... But the star of the AT was definitely the all you can eat access to the dessert buffet which were absolutely amazing (maple sugar cubes, fine chocolates, lemon pannacotta, lemon pie (tiny), pecan pie (tiny), chocolate and nuts cake, cream fudge, macaron (so fresh I felt like they were prepared 10 minutes before we went there), and many more. I think there was 15 different desserts. Had all of that with a delicate Earl Grey Crème. :coffee:

I agree that 42$/pp is probably not the most affordable Afternoon Tea experience. However, the ambiance of the place, the view and the all-you-can-eat access to the dessert table, IMO, made it a good value. My MIL and I, who are huge fans of Afternoon Tea and experimented many «tea rooms» now put the Château's AT among our favorite.

Oh and I went to get Benedictine Eggs at the Cochon Dingue again for breakfast before that. Yep, still amazing. :D

20180714_145528-2080x1170.jpg 20180714_142410_crop_731x585.jpg 20180714_141228-1170x2080.jpg 20180714_135648-2080x1170.jpg 20180714_134837-2080x1170.jpg

Last edited:
The Embassy is close to the subway station and right next to the Old Montreal, which is, IMO much more cuter than the Ville-Marie (Downtown) area. Unless you REALLY like shopping. :)
Thank you that is helpful. I have both of them booked and I'll keep an eye on price. Price most likely will determine my decision. I think it's still a little early to get the best price. I could be wrong on that since we'll be there in the middle of the week. In most big cities prices are always higher during the week and lower on the weekend. I guess Miami is the exception with all ships departing on the weekends.

Thank you that is helpful. I have both of them booked and I'll keep an eye on price. Price most likely will determine my decision. I think it's still a little early to get the best price. I could be wrong on that since we'll be there in the middle of the week. In most big cities prices are always higher during the week and lower on the weekend. I guess Miami is the exception with all ships departing on the weekends.

If you're willing to take a chance, I would also look on Hotwire. You might get a nice hotel for a good rate. We have extremely nice boutique hotels in the Old Port and a lot of them are on the Hotwire website. I think if you select 4 stars 1/2 or more, you won't get disappointed.

Last edited:
If you're willing to take a chance, I would also look on Hotwire. You might get a nice hotel for a good rate. We have extremely nice boutique hotels in the Old Port and a lot of them are on the Hotwire website. I think if you select 4 stars 1/2 or more, you won't get disappointed.
We would need 2 rooms or a large room. We're basically 4 adult sized people.

What do you think of Hotel Palace Royal in Quebec. They have a family room that's not a bad price. I'm considering 1 night in Montreal and one night in Quebec.

We would need 2 rooms or a large room. We're basically 4 adult sized people.

What do you think of Hotel Palace Royal in Quebec. They have a family room that's not a bad price. I'm considering 1 night in Montreal and one night in Quebec.

The hotel looks great from the exterior. It is at the corner of St-Jean Street (charming with lots of nice little cafés and J.A. Moisan grocery which was I believe the first grocery store of Québec) and is right at the entrance of Place d'Youville which is usually beautiful...However, one of the landmarks of the area (Le Capitole) is currently under major constructions so hopefully they are going to be done as they ruin the experience of the area a bit (it feels like a whole side is under construction).

I think it's a Jaro hotel? I think MIL stayed there last year. Jaro hotel are well liked by families but there is an interior pool that can be very noisy as a lot of rooms have "pool view". I would bring earplugs just in case.

mevelandry....where's the best place for cretons? :duck:

LOL Tough one as I don't eat cretons (probably had too much when I was young).

I think I saw cretons at the Old Port Market. And since Cochon Dingue is amazing and have cretons as part of some dishes, I would bet they are amazing as well.

QUEBEC CITY - Promenade des Gouverneurs

20180714_124924-2080x1170.jpg

As you walk on Terrasse Dufferin and go passed the Château Frontenac you will notice, right behind historical slides, stairs that seem to lead you on top of the hill. However, on top of the stairs is a beautiful wooden path (with lots of other stairs here and there) that will lead you, after a 10-15 min walk to Les Plaines d'Abraham.

Most of the path is surrounded by trees. And many stops have a great view. It must look amazing during fall with the colors and it has nice shade during summer.

My MIL and I loved walking there. I noticed a lot of people exercised there as well.

QUEBEC CITY - Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church

20180714_175207-2080x1170.jpg

It's a less than 5 min walk from the port and right besides the Petit Champlain neighbourhood. This "Square" feels like you are in the middle of a village in the 1800 years or apparently, like you are in Europe... (I heard many tourists say that but I've never been in Europe so I have no idea).

There is a small Café that has great reviews and is called "Café Smith". It's been on my to do list forever but I have never had the chance to go. However, I'm sure it's awesome and it has tables outside as well. Next time I'll go to Quebec (because I'm obsessed), I'll definitely go have coffee there. It's one of my favorite places.

Other Restaurants I would probably recommend...

-My MIL said she went at Spag & Tini last year (the restaurant is in the Port, near Cochon Dingue and Quartier Petit Champlain) and it was very nice. During summer, they have a huge terrace and it smells amazing as you pass by the restaurant (Hmmmm garlic). I noticed they have "Dinner for two, for 49$" sometimes. I'd like to try it next time.

Does anybody know the rules (if any) for transporting beer or wine from the US into Canada. We had planned on buying our wine and beer at our local store here in NY and then driving up to Quebec but realized there may be rules against it. Anyone know?

Edited to add:

Google got me this...

https://www.thoughtco.com/bringing-alcohol-into-canada-visitors-510144

MJ

Edit:

Here's what I could find regarding alcohol.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

That being said, we have very nice beer and wine in Quebec. If you tell me what you are planning to bring, I could tell you how much you'd pay for it and you can decide if it's worth all the trouble. :)

Last edited:
I
I'll get back to you.

Thank you.....but it doesn't state if it per person or vehicle (at least I didn't see it). On another site I did see this and it has me confused:

Note that each personal exemption is per person, not per vehicle. You are not allowed to combine your personal exemptions with someone else or transfer them to another person. Goods brought in for commercial use or for another person do not qualify under the personal exemption and are subject to full duties.

It seems to contradict itself....per person but not able to combine. All I want to try and find out is how many bottles of wine or cans of beer can be brought in by four adults in one car.

MJ

I

Thank you.....but it doesn't state if it per person or vehicle (at least I didn't see it). On another site I did see this and it has me confused:

Note that each personal exemption is per person, not per vehicle. You are not allowed to combine your personal exemptions with someone else or transfer them to another person. Goods brought in for commercial use or for another person do not qualify under the personal exemption and are subject to full duties.

It seems to contradict itself....per person but not able to combine. All I want to try and find out is how many bottles of wine or cans of beer can be brought in by four adults in one car.

MJ

I'll try to find the info... I'm pretty sure it's "per person", though.

That being said, we have very nice beer and wine in Quebec. If you tell me what you are planning to bring, I could tell you how much you'd pay for it and you can decide if it's worth all the trouble. :)

I'll try to find the info... I'm pretty sure it's "per person", though.

The article I posted also says per person.

I

MJ

It's not really contradictory - just not enforceable. I don't drink, so I'm not going to bring alcohol across the border for myself. However, the agents have no way of knowing that I don't drink so if I'm with someone who has more than their legal amount, I can (and have) claim some of it as mine. Technically, this is not allowed. Can anyone prove what I'm doing? No. I will note that I think I've done this twice in my life :)

And,yes, it is per person. The rule is the same no matter how you travel (car, plane, boat, train).

However, the rules quoted above seem to be for Canadian residents (hence the "being away for more than 48 hours" - which doesn't apply to visitors). The amounts are the same, but always best to read the right rules. The specific rule for visitors is (and, note that it does say EACH VISITOR):

The following duty-free allowances apply to each visitor entering into Canada:

• Gifts (excludes alcohol and tobacco) valued at no more than CAN$60 each.
  • 1.5 L of wine or 1.14 L of liquor or 24 x 355 ml cans or bottles (8.5 L) of beer or ale.
  • 200 cigarettes, 200 tobacco sticks, 50 cigars or cigarillos and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.html

I am not sure why you would bring your own alcohol since we have a great variety and the USD $ is worth much more than the CAD $ (which would most likely make it cheaper or equivalent in price to buy in Canada)? But I'm interested to know why. :)

I am not sure why you would bring your own alcohol since we have a great variety and the USD $ is worth much more than the CAD $ (which would most likely make it cheaper or equivalent in price to buy in Canada)? But I'm interested to know why. :)

Thank you all!!!!

Simply because we won't have a car in Quebec and thought if we already had it with us in our carry on it would be easier but I will check with the group and see what beer they like. I usually drink white or rose and never spend more than about $12 US for a bottle. I am one of those who can be happy with a cheaper bottle of wine LOL

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter