The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but they just added Pirate Night for 10/2 (Halifax Day). Although our family is not super excited by this (sorry, we have seen it too many times...). After I got over my "arghhhh!" moment, I realized we MAY get fireworks at sea!!! That would be nice.

I also reached out to a few tour operators in Saguenay about Whale Watching, but it sounds like we are too far away from their pier AND our time in Saguenay is too short.

I read that Saguenay has a shuttle bus right from the cruise terminal. Has anyone used this service and/or know where the shuttle goes? We still aren't sure what we will be doing in Saguenay yet and not sure if this is a good option for that day?

I called the National car rental office in Saguernay and rented a car for the day. They said that the reason that their website shows no cars available is that it is not a true full service site. Cars are brought to the port location from another office.

Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but they just added Pirate Night for 10/2 (Halifax Day). Although our family is not super excited by this (sorry, we have seen it too many times...). After I got over my "arghhhh!" moment, I realized we MAY get fireworks at sea!!! That would be nice.

I also reached out to a few tour operators in Saguenay about Whale Watching, but it sounds like we are too far away from their pier AND our time in Saguenay is too short.

How many hours do you get in Saguenay?

Saguenay is 10:00am - 5:45pm. I see where there are two excursions that could have whale-spotting in them. Discover the Fjord Treasures and Zodiak cruise. They are SO expensive for a family to book.

I do have some questions. Do you think we will see the Fjord as we cruise to La Baie? On the map, it looks like we will. Would it also be safe to say we could spot all kinds of wildlife while we are cruising in and out of that area, as well?

Another thought was to rent a car like others are suggesting. I've already reserved Halifax and Quebec. Does it make sense for a family of five to rent cars at the ports? I'm doing Quebec so we can get to some kid friendly places as well as the more touristy historic places. I'm torn between booking tours and just winging it! We would love to hear some opinions on this one.

(And, Mevelandry, THANK YOU for the food tips! And Photos!!!)

Last edited:
Please let us know what you find out about that and how you booked it, if you did. Thanks!

We found a good rate with Budget through Costco and their location is at the Hilton in Quebec so we think we are doing that route. I would still need to get from the Hilton/Budget location to the port but I think we will just do a few taxis (we have about 12 people). The Delta Marriott has an Avis location near it which is only about 2 blocks from the Hilton so that is another option.

Every time I tried the Hertz website for my rental it said they had no cars available to rent. The other rental agencies all showed me a variety of cars but not Hertz so I gave up on them.

MJ

I used to love Pirate Night but now we skip the "show" and just hang out on deck for the fireworks.....but this time we have a bunch of cruise virgins and I want them to see it so we will probably see the whole show!!

MJ

Saguenay is 10:00am - 5:45pm. I see where there are two excursions that could have whale-spotting in them. Discover the Fjord Treasures and Zodiak cruise. They are SO expensive for a family to book.

I do have some questions. Do you think we will see the Fjord as we cruise to La Baie? On the map, it looks like we will. Would it also be safe to say we could spot all kinds of wildlife while we are cruising in and out of that area, as well?

Another thought was to rent a car like others are suggesting. I've already reserved Halifax and Quebec. Does it make sense for a family of five to rent cars at the ports? I'm doing Quebec so we can get to some kid friendly places as well as the more touristy historic places. I'm torn between booking tours and just winging it! We would love to hear some opinions on this one.

10:00 to 5:45 is quite short.

Bring binoculars!

I'd say the chances of spotting wildlife are good as whales can be spotted from the month of May up until November and you will sail directly on the "Whale Route" (at least between Baie-Comeau and Tadoussac). There are tours that will follow this route. Explanations here: https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/road-trips-and-getaways/the-whale-route

You can also "follow" the whales by subscribing to this site: https://baleinesendirect.org/en/

And I have a list of places from where you could apparently see them from the shore (Baie-Comeau is on the list!) : https://baleinesendirect.org/en/watching-whales-in-quebec/the-whale-route/

For those who don't know, one way to know that a whale is about to show up is by following the movements of the seagulls. If you see a bunch of seagulls flying in circles over a spot, pay attention. When you see bubbles appearing on top of the water, a whale is about to appear.

Belugas are known to be regularly spotted in the National Park of Saguenay (especially near Baie Ste-Marguerite, google "Halte du Béluga").

You would definitely save money if you decided to rent a car. If you feel secure enough that you will find your way to the places you want to visit and your way back to the port, why not? However, as I previously mentionned, most people do not speak english in Saguenay/Lac-St-Jean. Be aware that if you get lost, you might have a hard time finding your way back. I would make sure my cellphone works and can access google map! (Can't guarantee you will get cellphone services everywhere).

Yes I think it makes perfect sense. We rented cars in Iceland and Hawaii. It was definetely the way to go. I always have more fun winging it. When you have your own car you have the freedom to do whatever you want. I would look at cruise critic ports of call section and Toms ports guides to get more info.

I called the National car rental office in Saguernay and rented a car for the day. They said that the reason that their website shows no cars available is that it is not a true full service site. Cars are brought to the port location from another office.
I have a car reserved at the airport location. Do I just call them and tell them I wanted it delivered to the port? I reserved a standard car for 70 CAD. Is that about what you're paying.

I have a car reserved at the airport location. Do I just call them and tell them I wanted it delivered to the port? I reserved a standard car for 70 CAD. Is that about what you're paying.

Ask for it. The worst they can say is no.

Staying in Montreal for one night near the airport. Got a great price using Priceline on a 4 Star hotel for 81 dollars that’s with the taxes and fees. 62 dollars plus taxes and fees comes to 81 dollars. It’s at the Sheraton. Would of been 160 with the tax if I booked through Sheraton.
Glad I used Priceline was going to book at Hampton that would of been 151 through them.

Last edited:
Staying in Montreal for one night near the airport. Got a great price using Priceline on a 4 Star hotel for 81 dollars that’s with the taxes and fees. 62 dollars plus taxes and fees comes to 81 dollars. It’s at the Sheraton. Would of been 160 with the tax if I booked through Sheraton.
Glad I used Priceline was going to book at Hampton that would of been 151 through them.

Look earlier in the thread. I'm a member of the pool and gym club at the Montreal Airport Sheraton and I posted pictures a few weeks ago! :) It's very clean and nice. That's a GREAT deal you got there. There's a small shop inside if you need snacks and one restaurant that is not cheap yet reasonably priced and the food is good. The only downside is that it isn't near anything but there is a shopping mall at a 5 minute drive (or 15 min walk) with a Wal Mart, a Drugstore, a Grocery Store, a sandwich shop, a Smoke Meat restaurant, a Chicken Rotisserie, etc.

We have decided to definitely drive from NY and I think we want to stop for the night in the Brossard area near Montreal. Then the next day it should be about a 3 hour drive to Quebec sans traffic delays. I wanted to drive as far as we could the first day. We are not leaving until the afternoon from NY as some in our group have to work the morning we leave. Costco has yielded the best rate for our one way rental. The other option is to drive straight through and crash at a hotel for a few hours in Quebec. Its tough to get a hotel as we need five rooms for our group and many say no availability.

MJ

We have decided to definitely drive from NY and I think we want to stop for the night in the Brossard area near Montreal. Then the next day it should be about a 3 hour drive to Quebec sans traffic delays. I wanted to drive as far as we could the first day. We are not leaving until the afternoon from NY as some in our group have to work the morning we leave. Costco has yielded the best rate for our one way rental. The other option is to drive straight through and crash at a hotel for a few hours in Quebec. Its tough to get a hotel as we need five rooms for our group and many say no availability.

MJ

Yeah, hotels are hard to find in Quebec during cruise season.

For just a few hours, have you checked the Best Western? It's nothing special and not expensive.

I wish I could help regarding Brossard unfortunately I have never been there. I know they do have cheaper hotels.

Any questions? :)

Before I ask my question I want to thank you for the amazing job you have done here. I have screenshot a few of your posts of things to do in the ports. That way its easily avaiable on my photos. I recommend other people do the same.
My question is I’m staying in Montreal for one night after my cruise. Staying by the airport. I’m going to take a taxi to the city. Where should I have the taxi driver drop us off at? What should we see there? I’m just planning on being dropped off and walking around, around 4 hours. It will be on a Thursday night around 6-10. Also any places you recommend we should eat at that is a reasonable price? Thanks

Before I ask my question I want to thank you for the amazing job you have done here. I have screenshot a few of your posts of things to do in the ports. That way its easily avaiable on my photos. I recommend other people do the same.
My question is I’m staying in Montreal for one night after my cruise. Staying by the airport. I’m going to take a taxi to the city. Where should I have the taxi driver drop us off at? What should we see there? I’m just planning on being dropped off and walking around, around 4 hours. It will be on a Thursday night around 6-10. Also any places you recommend we should eat at that is a reasonable price? Thanks

Thank you so much for the nice message. As I said before, I really want you guy to have a wonderful time in my beautiful province. I hope you guys will post a lot of pictures when you come back. :)

Regarding what I recommend for Montreal, I would need to know what kind of experience you are looking for and what kind of food and budget you are looking for. :)

Thank you so much for the nice message. As I said before, I really want you guy to have a wonderful time in my beautiful province. I hope you guys will post a lot of pictures when you come back. :)

Regarding what I recommend for Montreal, I would need to know what kind of experience you are looking for and what kind of food and budget you are looking for. :)

Mainly we will just be walking around seeing the beautiful city and taking pictures. We probably want to go to the waterfront area. Walk by the water a little. I know we don’t have much time there. See a few things the tourist go see. With not having much time to be dropped off in a area that has a few tourist sites in one area. Just free things to do.

About dinner I hate fish and my wife is a vegetarian. Maybe spend around 100 dollars Canadian or cheaper. Somewhere close to where we will be walking at. Don’t do any research if you just happen to know a place that will be great. Thanks

Mainly we will just be walking around seeing the beautiful city and taking pictures. We probably want to go to the waterfront area. Walk by the water a little. I know we don’t have much time there. See a few things the tourist go see. With not having much time to be dropped off in a area that has a few tourist sites in one area. Just free things to do.
If with kids, try the Jean Drapeau park (St Helene island) for plenty of tourist activities in one place. Comes with nice views of the city skyline from its walking trails.

You can also visit Mont Royal for some amazing photo ops. Then, descend into Downtown Montreal and find a whole host of eateries. We love dining in a restaurant patio downtown when visiting in summer. No shortage of good food!

About dinner I hate fish and my wife is a vegetarian. Maybe spend around 100 dollars Canadian or cheaper. Somewhere close to where we will be walking at. Don’t do any research if you just happen to know a place that will be great. Thanks

Old Port of Montreal is nice and somewhat different than Quebec City "Old Quebec".

In the Old Port, although it's a counter in a food court, I am of fan of Frite, Alors! (Poutine), I love restaurants Bevo (wood oven pizza and pasta), Jardin Nelson has one of the nicest terrace & Boris Bistro has great dishes. Stash Café is great and not expensive if you like Polish food (pierogies, etc.) Love the ambiance there. Queues de Castor (Beaver Tails) is great if you like sweets.

I have a friend who's a vegetarian, I couls ask her which restaurants she likes?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter