*** The Official December 2019 thread ***

THE3jsmom

Melinda
Add my family to the list, my son's fiancee family was going so just booked the holiday magic for my daughters and me Dec 21-26. We are staying at PO Riverside. My second Christmas trip and their first one. Will squeeze in Universal on the second part of trip.

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
With only 2 park days, I'm just making sure you are mentally prepared: have you been into the Disney Parks on New Year's eve before? EPCOT, for example, is known to have 5 hour waits for TT on NYE. But the fireworks shows at MK and EPCOT in the past have been worth it swimming through the crowds. New Year's day is so much easier to get on rides than the day before, partiularly in the morning when everyone is still sleeping in.
I know it will be absolutely nuts. So yes, we kinda know what we are getting into - crazy, mad, one-of-a-kind Disney fun!

It helps that we have gone every year for 10 years (sometime 1-2 park days, sometimes 10-14 night extravaganzas) so we are OK missing rides. Plus we are planning a 2 week trip next August :)

And a few years ago we went for 2 park days over Christmas week and found it surprisingly manageable with a really good plan. We even managed a lot of rides! This time though my hope is to do Star Wars Land one morning and Pandora another morning. Other than that, dance parties at MK on the 30th and dance parties at Epcot on the 31st :) :)

Normally we find it well worth it to spend 2-3 hours staking out our favourite fireworks spots. This time I think we will skip that and spend our time enjoying the dance party atmosphere in each park and just watch the fireworks from a less ideal position.

Been stalking NYE threads to get our plans in perspective. Looks like it is a bad idea to take the bus/drive on property between 10ish and 1/2pm. So right now I plan to go to AK on the morning of the 31st, leaving at 3pm for an afternoon break back at our campsite before going to Epcot at 7pm for dance party fun :)

Lsdolphin

DIS Veteran
I have friends who visited week of Christmas last year they told me they were picked up by ME 4 hours ahead of their flight instead of the usual 3 hours. They were told this was due to extra heavy holiday crowds at MCO, I need to know if this will be the case as we have a brunch reservation and I may need make it at an earlier time.
Has anyone heard of this happening this year?

• twinklebug

too far away from home.
    I have friends who visited week of Christmas last year they told me they were picked up by ME 4 hours ahead of their flight instead of the usual 3 hours. They were told this was due to extra heavy holiday crowds at MCO, I need to know if this will be the case as we have a brunch reservation and I may need make it at an earlier time.
    Has anyone heard of this happening this year?
    We were there in December, and yes, it is true. I was angry that they used it for piling extra people onboard from 4 different resorts and not traffic. We arrived at MCO later than we should have (although still made our flight, but did not have the luxury of having time to eat dinner at the airport as we had planned.)

Definitely eat before you leave. If you can afford it, I suggest a town car or even an Uber/Lyft to get you to the airport.

ksromack

DIS Veteran
    We are flying from Indiana and will be there from 12/20 til 1/4 and staying offsite. We are regular xmas disney guests but this year we are a little more excited as there are so many changes we havent experienced yet. First time for Toy Story Land, SWGE, Epcot Forever, Gondolas and so much more. Also, this will be our first time doing Hoop dee doo Show so were excited.
    We did Hoop de Do a few weeks ago and loved it! So much food (there were only two of us). Fun times!
    The main extra for us is going twice in one year! We are excited to be going during the Christmas season for the first time and have booked the 12/17 party. We are also going to visit other resorts for dining, which, except for Ohana, we don't do, just usually eat in the parks. Can't wait to see the resorts decorated! Also can't wait to ride the skyliner and see SWGE fully open. We got a reservation for Ogas.
    Resort hopping is one of my favorite pastimes during the holidays!
    When do you guys think JBJB dessert party tix will go on sale for this holiday season? Has anyone ever done before?
    We loved this dessert party last year but dh got tired waiting for the JBJB show so we didnt stay for the whole show part of the evening and truthfully I was tired as well!

Nikkim521

Earning My Ears
    We are headed there on 12/21-12/26. Booked at CSR but thinking about looking into switching to AKL. worried about the bus situation. SO EXCITED!!!

Tink1987

DIS Veteran
    Had a bit of a planning meltdown this morning. My husband and I sat down to sort out our dining and decide if we were going to book the after hours packages as well. Our FP date is in a couple of weeks as well so wanted to get that decided on as well.

Got really overwhelmed with the amount we are trying to do. We have a 15 night trip and we just have too much dining and plans we are trying to fit in. So far we have 20 table service restaurants planned but now the after hours packages are getting in the way of a couple of popular ones of those and we can’t really move them. It’s got to that point where you need to decide on final plans but don’t want to admit you can’t do certain things. I know this is a really first world problem to have and I’m not complaining but it can get really overwhelming and that’s with knowing what we are doing.

Thanks for letting me vent - I knew you guys would understand :)

• goofygal531

Always planning...
    Just booked our first visit during Christmas week. We’ll be there 12/26-12/31. We’re APs, just visited in Aug for SW:GE opening. This trip is focused on the holiday happenings.

Would love planning advice from those who’ve gone during this insanely crowded week.

I have a CP dining package booked for a 5pm show. How early do we need to arrive at the show to check in? Any tips for seeing a few holiday storytellers on Friday, 12/27? Hoping a Friday won’t be as crowded as the weekend.

As for MK park hours, I’ve noticed they change drastically as we get closer. I’m assuming we can expect a 7am EMH all week? Also hoping for expanded hours at DHS for SW:GE.

Just how bad are the crowds at the buses? Wonder how high Uber surge pricing gets?

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciate!

jaz0308

DIS Veteran
    Just booked our first visit during Christmas week. We’ll be there 12/26-12/31. We’re APs, just visited in Aug for SW:GE opening. This trip is focused on the holiday happenings.

Would love planning advice from those who’ve gone during this insanely crowded week.

I have a CP dining package booked for a 5pm show. How early do we need to arrive at the show to check in? Any tips for seeing a few holiday storytellers on Friday, 12/27? Hoping a Friday won’t be as crowded as the weekend.

As for MK park hours, I’ve noticed they change drastically as we get closer. I’m assuming we can expect a 7am EMH all week? Also hoping for expanded hours at DHS for SW:GE.

Just how bad are the crowds at the buses? Wonder how high Uber surge pricing gets?

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciate!
    I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but it’s our first Xmas trip too! Busiest week of the year! I’m both excited and terrified and following along for any suggestions or advice!

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
    We are headed there on 12/21-12/26. Booked at CSR but thinking about looking into switching to AKL. worried about the bus situation. SO EXCITED!!!
    I stayed at AKL for Xmas week (your same dates) a few years ago and I would do again. The bus situation isn't that bad because you only share with AKV. There were character meets every evening in both AKL and AKV in front of the Xmas trees (Minnie, Mickey, and Donald in holiday dress, Santa Stitch), and marshmallow roasting in the evenings with views of the animals. We had brunch at Boma and dinner at Sanaa during our trip, both were great. We're doing WL this time but I loved AKL for the holidays. The tree is really magnificent and the whole resort just smells wonderful.

Auntrosie

Mouseketeer
    Following! Thank you for all the great information!
    Our Trip 12/03 - 12/11
    12/03 - Pop Century
    -Ride the Gondolas to EPCOT
    12/04 -12/08 Wyndym Bonnet Creek
    -Highway in the Sky Dine Around
    12/09 - 12/11 Grand Floridian
    -Signature Celebration Package CRT, Disney After Hours MK
    -Garden Grill Lunch Candle Light Processional Package
    -Monsieur Paul

• twinklebug

too far away from home.
    Had a bit of a planning meltdown this morning. My husband and I sat down to sort out our dining and decide if we were going to book the after hours packages as well. Our FP date is in a couple of weeks as well so wanted to get that decided on as well.

Got really overwhelmed with the amount we are trying to do. We have a 15 night trip and we just have too much dining and plans we are trying to fit in. So far we have 20 table service restaurants planned but now the after hours packages are getting in the way of a couple of popular ones of those and we can’t really move them. It’s got to that point where you need to decide on final plans but don’t want to admit you can’t do certain things. I know this is a really first world problem to have and I’m not complaining but it can get really overwhelming and that’s with knowing what we are doing.

Thanks for letting me vent - I knew you guys would understand :)
    You're not alone. Disney trips used to be fun to plan. Now they're hell.
    Crank up anxiety by a factor of 10. What a great, relaxing vacation we have planned (for everyone but the planner perhaps). :rolleyes2

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

THEME PARK MAPS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS