The Official Dec Trip Report Thread

I think I've given up on trying for anything in December. Most likely wouldn't be able to work everything out to go, anyway.
We are planning a December 2018 trip (into the New Year of January 2019). We are within the 499 Day window.

Let me say ...... WOW:eek:! Dealing with CM's that have no clue or just downright lazy... Don't want to help! Now that's not all of them, but a few.

First, you can only book a day that's 499 days out. So we thought we could book our whole stay once day one is 499 days out... Nope. Only that Day. Then we can call and "Add" a day every day. A bit painful, but worth it. Well, sort of. Every day we would call, we got different responses. Some of "Success", some of, well.... you can guess. :(

Apparently there are 2 separate systems, and the one system has to "Release" the new days to the reservation system. Doesn't always happen (or not completely). Anyway, we'd call early and they would say it was NOT available. "Okay.... If you cannot book the day before 499 days out, and reservations starts at 7AM and we are calling at 8 AM are you saying the ENTIRE Campground booked in 1 hour? " Some CM's couldn't get it. DW constantly requesting a manager to get things done. There were a few Folks that were quite helpful, but given the "Wait" times on the phone and the ANNOYING :sad2: automated system, it's still painful. I can only imagine trying to get in on someone elses cancellation.

Anyway, we are almost done with the reservations. Just need to tack on 2 more days. However, last time we called (to add Jan 2, 2019) was the most painful, to the point where DW ended up talking to a CM (Guest Relations). We were told that the 2019 dates were not released yet and as such couldn't be booked yet (despite being within the 499 time frame) so DW wanted to know WHO knew when it would be released. It was funny listening to her. "..... So not even the "Big Mouse" knows when those dates are going to be released?" :lmao: Yes! She asked. Anyway, this CM did take the task to make sure and check "Daily" for us and update our Reservation until it was complete (Nice to have a CM as our own personal Travel Agent... :) ).

This will be the FIRST time we would be at Disney for New Years, and probably the last, but it's important for us because DD will be getting married and the Disney trip is their Honeymoon (they will be staying at a different Disney Resort so that DW and I don't "Cramp" their "Style" :rolleyes:). I am excited though, because I would love to see Disney during New Years. (at least once)

Well that's it folks! I'm officially in "Disney Mode". It happened about a week ago. About once a week sometimes twice a week someone in our family (usually me) will bring up something about our next Disney trip. That pretty much has been the pace for the past 8 months. Now, the wheels are starting to turn and I find myself thinking about our upcoming trip in 70 some odd days multiple times a day (ok 50). That combined with checking in here are reading up on everyone's reports :)

So I guess I better start actually planning! The only thing I have done thus far is book the trip.

Question for you December regulars....

The Christmas Party spans several days of our vacation, OR should I say our vacation spans several party dates. Is it safe to assume that the park closes at 6pm each night of the party? Also, what about crowd levels at the MK on party days. I assume crowds are a bit lower ??? Logic says, the people who don't have park hopper (50%) will avoid that park all together on party dates due to closing early. My brain is thinking that we should go to MK on party dates cause of lower crowds and just leaving well before 6. We like to go to parks early and leave mid day. We also prefer viewing the fireworks from FW.

Well we go home the other day from getting our New to Us coach and while at Lazy Days our TA happened to be there. She is hoping to secure us a site in the 1800 or 1600 loops for ease of walking our fur balls

@FtW Mike love the 1600 - 1900 loops. Our first trip in our old old RV way way back in 2014 (I think) was in 1821. Right back by the canal. We only did one trip in that motor home for many reasons. We will be so glad to get back to those beloved QUIET loops. Those loops have so many aged old trees and feel more like home and fall like than the other loops. I prefer my shade to suns-a-blazing ;) hoping for 1900!

@FtW Mike love the 1600 - 1900 loops. Our first trip in our old old RV way way back in 2014 (I think) was in 1821. Right back by the canal. We only did one trip in that motor home for many reasons. We will be so glad to get back to those beloved QUIET loops. Those loops have so many aged old trees and feel more like home and fall like than the other loops. I prefer my shade to suns-a-blazing ;) hoping for 1900!
In the one trip to THE FORT with our recently rid of coach we were in site 1811 opposite the entry to canal dog walk area and we LOVED IT. Many of those we met there were super nice people and the fact that it is a bit removed from rest of the sites gives it bit more secluded feel I can hardly wait. Plus with a new to us coach I can hardly wait to give a real test trip at THE FORT

What are your dates, Mike? We will be close in sites no matter what we get.

In the one trip to THE FORT with our recently rid of coach we were in site 1811 opposite the entry to canal dog walk area and we LOVED IT. Many of those we met there were super nice people and the fact that it is a bit removed from rest of the sites gives it bit more secluded feel I can hardly wait. Plus with a new to us coach I can hardly wait to give a real test trip at THE FORT

Those full hook up loops are my favorites. They feel shadier and more spacious than any others plus they are so perfectly located for all the activities.

We are going December 2018 so I’ll be living vicariously through this thread. We’ve been December ‘14 and ‘16. Our favorite time of year<3

People of the December Trip Report, are you ready?

Do you have a count down going on? I do!

Do you find yourself with Disney on the brain atleast once an hour leading up to the trip? I do. My kids do too.

My list of "to dos" is long between now and then and I'm fearing anxiety will hit soon. I'm going to get our school lessons done and start hitting that to do list. I want to be prepared and not be so last minute.

Happy CAMPING PEOPLE. Bout time for the "welcome home" isn't it? Yes, it is ;)

Trying to decide if we are bringing our fur baby (actually old man, lol) with us this trip. Since we are not doing any parks, and should not be away for more than a couple hours at a time, I think he may get to come. He is fine home alone, but the last two camping trips he chewed up some things he should have, so we are thinking that he doesn't like to stay in the camper alone, lol.

People of the December Trip Report, are you ready?

Do you have a count down going on? I do!

Do you find yourself with Disney on the brain atleast once an hour leading up to the trip? I do. My kids do too.

My list of "to dos" is long between now and then and I'm fearing anxiety will hit soon. I'm going to get our school lessons done and start hitting that to do list. I want to be prepared and not be so last minute.

Happy CAMPING PEOPLE. Bout time for the "welcome home" isn't it? Yes, it is ;)

Thirty two days till we pull out and head down 5 Nights on the road and then pull in Seems like 2 years we've been waiting still ahead of us

We'll be there.. tent camping.. Dec 4-13
AOA on the 3rd just because we'll be late late getting in and would rather set up in the daylight.
Only taking 2 of my 3 kids this time.
We have all ADRs (well, maybe) set, FPs, but haven't really done any other planning til this week. Not sure why, I'm usually a huge planner.

We have done that before too. Checked in one night at AoA due late arrival time. See ya soon! Happy packing!

We'll be there.. tent camping.. Dec 4-13
AOA on the 3rd just because we'll be late late getting in and would rather set up in the daylight.
Only taking 2 of my 3 kids this time.
We have all ADRs (well, maybe) set, FPs, but haven't really done any other planning til this week. Not sure why, I'm usually a huge planner.

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but am loving it already! So helpful! My family and I will be arriving on December 9 and leaving on the 16th. My DH, kids, and I have done Disney lots of times....Only once in a cabin at Ft Wilderness. But, this trip will be full of firsts- our first road trip in our motorhome and at the campground.... Also, we are bringing my sister's family with us- neither her children or her husband have ever been to Disney! Any tips for a first timer?

Hello Amber and welcome!!

Tips? Where to begin? How about reading up on some pinned threads here on the Camping Forum. You find a wealth of information just from reading those posts!

The biggest tips?

Take time to enjoy the Fort! We love having "Fort days". You won't regret it!

If you have it in the budget, splurge for a golf cart rental and tour all the lovely decorated sites!

Food wise?

Don't forget to treat yourself to a breakfast or dinner buffet at the Trails End right there on property.

We too will be down the first half of December in a full hook up site.

Happy Camping!

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but am loving it already! So helpful! My family and I will be arriving on December 9 and leaving on the 16th. My DH, kids, and I have done Disney lots of times....Only once in a cabin at Ft Wilderness. But, this trip will be full of firsts- our first road trip in our motorhome and at the campground.... Also, we are bringing my sister's family with us- neither her children or her husband have ever been to Disney! Any tips for a first timer?

Thanks! We have reserved a cart for the length of our trip. We don't have a lot of Fort time scheduled for this trip. My sisters kids want to do everything they can at the parks since they've never been. However, we have planned lunch and a nap each day at our campsite. My husband and I are already planning the next trip with our kids and will have several Fort days.

We also are in a full hookup site. I've had several people recommend the 1700 loop. Any opinions on that?

We were in Disney in January 2016 and it was freezing! Can anyone tell me how December weather is?

Thanks! We have reserved a cart for the length of our trip. We don't have a lot of Fort time scheduled for this trip. My sisters kids want to do everything they can at the parks since they've never been. However, we have planned lunch and a nap each day at our campsite. My husband and I are already planning the next trip with our kids and will have several Fort days.

We also are in a full hookup site. I've had several people recommend the 1700 loop. Any opinions on that?

We were in Disney in January 2016 and it was freezing! Can anyone tell me how December weather is?

The weather can be very fickle - hot, cold, just right within hours, days. No way to predict it perfectly. We were there Dec. '10 and nearly froze!! We have a trip planned in a couple weeks and are hoping for nice weather also.

Just bring clothing to use for layering, also hats and gloves. Better not to need them, but we sure needed ours that Dec. Touring the parks with damp winds and 40* was not much fun - high 20's nights. Unusual for those extremes, yes, but it can/did happen!! :cold:

We've never stayed in full hookups, so no opinions there. Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!