*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

Today is the first day of my retirement. :cheer2:
We leave for the Wilderness Lodge tomorrow morning. We have our boarding passes and I have an entire day to pack. We can't wait. :)

That's BIG NEWS!!!!! Congratulations! How long / when did you decide to make this big step? Are you thinking of doing something different? My SIL retired from Ford, her dream was to work in floral shop. The floral shop also owns a large nursery. She's so happy now. Do you have any dreams like that?

Hey everyone in the August Group!!!!! I booked a last minute work trip and can't go near Orlando and not do something Disney. My wife and I will be there Aug 30-Sep 1. We are staying offsite this time and it will be our first time together at the parks with no kids! We are super excited. Sorry I'm late to the thread, but I wish everyone an awesome trip.

5 days from right now we'll be heading to the airport. I've packed a lot of things, but need to do more and really see how it fits in the luggage. We are going to the outlet this year, and hoping to come home with some things. Also planning to buy the new Starbucks "Been there" mugs. I'm going to need some space to take home my loot! LOL.

Tonight we were on FOP, restraints up, literally seconds from the ride starting...and it shuts down. Lights come on, CM comes down the line to let everyone out of their chair, and the entire building is evacuated. Fire emergency the announcement said. It was somewhere around 8:15 or so. We waited a while to see if it opened again, but left before it did so. We now have a good-for-any-park FP valid through tomorrow. Need to decide whether to return to AK in the morning to try again, or add it to our Epcot day. We’ll see how everyone feels when we wake up. That was a new experience for us!

Hey everyone in the August Group!!!!! I booked a last minute work trip and can't go near Orlando and not do something Disney. My wife and I will be there Aug 30-Sep 1. We are staying offsite this time and it will be our first time together at the parks with no kids! We are super excited. Sorry I'm late to the thread, but I wish everyone an awesome trip.

We arrived today on a no kids and no guest trip. Feels weird. usually we are sneaking off the first day together and getting ready to repeat the big attractions as groups rotate in an out.

Different vibe. Spa tomorrow. So far so good.

Today is the first day of my retirement. :cheer2:
We leave for the Wilderness Lodge tomorrow morning. We have our boarding passes and I have an entire day to pack. We can't wait. :)
Congrats Sue, must be such a great feeling!
Safe travels and enjoy the lodge, boy have I missed it our last couple trips :( Can't wait to be there in October!

Tonight we were on FOP, restraints up, literally seconds from the ride starting...and it shuts down. Lights come on, CM comes down the line to let everyone out of their chair, and the entire building is evacuated. Fire emergency the announcement said. It was somewhere around 8:15 or so. We waited a while to see if it opened again, but left before it did so. We now have a good-for-any-park FP valid through tomorrow. Need to decide whether to return to AK in the morning to try again, or add it to our Epcot day. We’ll see how everyone feels when we wake up. That was a new experience for us!
That stinks, sorry that happened to you. We had to change rooms once, but were only in the first pre-show room when it happened. Thankfully, we did get to ride, just took a few extra minutes.

Happy travels to those still to go! HOpe everyone on their trips or still to go have fantastic time and great weather!

This time last week we were coming back from a great evening at Animal Kingdom.
Grand Floridian was fun, but we had trouble with the room we started in-think the sewer or water line under the floor was leaking as the floor by bed on other side of wall from sink was soaked-and stayed soaked. Finally moved rooms Sunday when the room had a distinct odor-we'd called Sunday am and we were all out of the room all day-came back to a huge LOUD fan trying to dry the carpet but the room smelled bad. Called again and was told "well since you are checking out tomorrow no need to move!"??! Um no NOT the response anyone should EVER get-especially as the DD who had the room for the convention needed to work a bit. Other DD was at the front desk trying to get her MB/MDE straightened out (messed up royally) so I texted her to get manager while she was there. Got moved lickety split after that, along with multiple FP with no restrictions in any park. Ended up riding SDMT 2x in row as it was our last night and only had ~3 hours to use them.

Friday MNSSHP was so fun! Crowded in hub-yep. Still able to see parade (Frontierland), get boatloads of candy, and good spot for new fireworks without waiting for hours. Most rides a walk on expect SM, SDMT-and Pirates when it finally opened back up-but the actors in the queue and ride were entertaining. Craziest lines were for food and the special merchandise!

Saturday we started at RD at DHS-ToT, RnR (single rider), Star Tours and a couple hours at Baseline Taphouse, before heading to resort for bit -ended up at Kona for lunch. Then off to AK. Former DCP DD saw lots of friends this trip-including one working EE who gave her several FP for AK and EE. Did spend some time in Nomads as I simply love that lounge. Sunset KS is the best! Did Dinosaur twice as we had car to self!

Sunday-after breakfast at Captain Cooks (Tonga toast-we ate at the Poly a bit even though Gasparilla grill was good too) started at AK as DD's friend with passes wanted to do FoP one last time (he is ICP and was in his final days of his program from Hong Kong). 110 minutes later we were on!. DD and friend had mini reunion with several other former DCP-then all rode EE together (FP came in handy here). Off to Epcot for lunch at our favorite places (more like snacked/drinks at several spots), twirl on SE and back to resort (room drama) then to MK to close out the night. Had to see HEA on last night.

Spent Monday morning until ~3pm at Typhoon Lagoon-then Lyft back to airport (vs 2 pm ME pickup at resort). zipped through security (LOVE TSA pre-check) and had enough time for dinner before 5:40 flight.

So I now have a 2 day PH convention ticket I didn't use as DD's Friend ended up having lots of passes to get us in. Hoping they will be good if DH decided he wants to go to Orlando in January.

I think we hit 10k steps by about noon each day LOL.

Loved our unexpected bonus trip!

Typhoon Lagoon H2O was FABULOUS! Perfect weather. Highly recommend! Spent the morning at Senses at GF - learned there are mini senses at other resorts (not just SSR) and the prices are cheaper. DVC still gets 40% off through the 31st.

Only bad note: SNAKE on the path to the villa just now. Thankfully DH isn't afraid. Took quite a bit to convince me it was okay to run past once it was out of sight. Still, some improvement, I mean I didn't wake everyone up screaming bloody murder or call the police, fire department, National Guard, Marines or Army - this time :rotfl:

We woke up yesterday morning for our flight to Orlando and arrived at the Wilderness Lodge around noon. Our room wasn't ready yet so we headed to Geyser Point for lunch. We had our swimsuits in our carry-ons so we headed off to the pool while we waited for our room. It was hot but dry, no rain at all yesterday. We finally got our room text around 3:30 pm. Other than having the long wait for the room, it has been a great trip so far. :)

d Floridian was fun, but we had trouble with the room we started in-think the sewer or water line under the floor was leaking as the floor by bed on other side of wall from sink was soaked-and stayed soaked
Oh no! That's exactly what happened to us at the BWV back in 2015 and they gave us a royally hard time about moving >:( My least favorite Disney vacation memory actually. Glad they did move you, the rest of your vacation sounded great!

Sooooo HOT :sunny:🌞🥵 at Studios today. No rain AGAIN. YAY!! Lines were easy. Entrance was easy unlike EPCOT - we had Super Security man - he did one bag to 6 at the other tables. Ate at Hollywood and Vine - the place was E M P T Y. Changed to the fall menu this week but the characters were still dressed in Minnie seasonal summer. Food was actually good! Desserts not so much. Very little choice and not appealing.

Able to refresh for TSM twice beyond initial FP+.

Disney Springs (can we please go back to calling it Downtown Disney??) was super crowded. Didn't realize the buses stopped running on the Eastside and didn't want to walk back to the other side for either the buses or the boat. So we paid $7.11 for a Lyft back to OKW. Funny because we have a rental car but well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter