***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Just curious if anyone can share how difficult it is to reserve the value studios at the 11 month mark for DVC. We are hoping to purchase a contract there sometime over the next 12 months or so and trying to decide on how many points we actually will use. We like to go to Disney once a year for a two week trip late November (just after Thanksgiving) and into December. We were thinking a 180 point contract would likely cover us for a value or standard room for a two week period, but it seems that 160 point contracts are more common. If we were going to stay in a value studio for all or part of our two weeks we might be able to make 160 points work... Any opinion on how likely it would be to be able to reserve a value studio for two weeks or even one week at the 11 month mark would be appreciated. Thank you, Greg

Do not purchase with the expectation you can usually get value at 11 months out. During Disney's high demand season, late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, the value studios (and thus also 2BRs) often disappear even before 11 months out (someone with an earlier start date than yours gets your start date), and, in any event, about 90% of the time, any given day will be gone within moments after 8 a.m. eastern exactly 11 months out, i.e., the winners are those whose computers communicate fastest with Disney's. Moreover, the time you usually go includes first week of December, which is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW, making the competition the most severe you can possibly have. Even during DVC's low to moderate demand season, from the Monday after marathon weekend in Jan to late Sep, the value studios are usually gone quickly after 8 a.m. about 60% of the time.

If instead purpose is usually to get standard or savanna view studios, then based on reservation patterns for the last five years, you should easily be able to get a studio at 11 months out even during the high demand season and first week of Dec.

Do not purchase with the expectation you can usually get value at 11 months out. During Disney's high demand season, late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, the value studios (and thus also 2BRs) often disappear even before 11 months out (someone with an earlier start date than yours gets your start date), and, in any event, about 90% of the time, any given day will be gone within moments after 8 a.m. eastern exactly 11 months out, i.e., the winners are those whose computers communicate fastest with Disney's. Moreover, the time you usually go includes first week of December, which is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW, making the competition the most severe you can possibly have. Even during DVC's low to moderate demand season, from the Monday after marathon weekend in Jan to late Sep, the value studios are usually gone quickly after 8 a.m. about 60% of the time.

If instead purpose is usually to get standard or savanna view studios, then based on reservation patterns for the last five years, you should easily be able to get a studio at 11 months out even during the high demand season and first week of Dec.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me. Much appreciated! Greg

Greg36, try running a scenario where you borrow 20 points a year to get your annual vacation in a standard studio to see how many years that will cover your vacation before you have to skip a year, you may find a 160 point contract will pretty much cover your needs for several years. This is especially true if you buy a resale contract with lots of banked points. You can also buy 24 or 26 (don't remember the exact number) one time use points from DVC for $25 per point at 7 months every year if you need to - which for the latter part of November might work (won't work for the first part of Dec. - that's heavy demand everywhere.) The reason there are so many 160 point contracts out there is that when DVC was selling AKV the minimum buy in was 160 points :) Have you considered buying a 160 point resale contract and then buying a 25 point add on direct from DVC at AKV? That would give you 185 points - which is pretty close to your preferred number. Since you plan to go for 2 weeks or so you'll probably want APs and w/ the 25 point direct buy add on you can get direct member benefits like the current discounted AP passes. Good luck w/ your hunt.

Greg36, try running a scenario where you borrow 20 points a year to get your annual vacation in a standard studio to see how many years that will cover your vacation before you have to skip a year, you may find a 160 point contract will pretty much cover your needs for several years. This is especially true if you buy a resale contract with lots of banked points. You can also buy 24 or 26 (don't remember the exact number) one time use points from DVC for $25 per point at 7 months every year if you need to - which for the latter part of November might work (won't work for the first part of Dec. - that's heavy demand everywhere.) The reason there are so many 160 point contracts out there is that when DVC was selling AKV the minimum buy in was 160 points :) Have you considered buying a 160 point resale contract and then buying a 25 point add on direct from DVC at AKV? That would give you 185 points - which is pretty close to your preferred number. Since you plan to go for 2 weeks or so you'll probably want APs and w/ the 25 point direct buy add on you can get direct member benefits like the current discounted AP passes. Good luck w/ your hunt.

Thank you! Great points! I really like the direct add on idea too. That would very likely add a lot of value for the AP's as you mention (there are four of us). Take care, Greg

Got the dreaded photobucket email today saying they're killing my links to pics stored there from here - so swapped my photobucket links to some I uploaded here.

If anyone wants to add any, just copy/paste the image, into your sig, or if you're more link minded, the location of the pic is to the right, just surround with the IMG tag

akvkidaniclub-jpeg.254677
www.disboards.com/attachments/akvkidaniclub-jpeg.254677/

akvgroup-jpg.254676
www.disboards.com/attachments/akvgroup-jpg.254676/

And for any VWL lovers out there... here's your update:

vwlgroupies-jpg.254678
www.disboards.com/attachments/vwlgroupies-jpg.254678/
Thank you

Hello! New to AKL. We booked a studio standard view at Kidani in January 2018. How would we make a room request to be closest to Jambo House for counter service meals? Is there a quieter floor? Also, are there paths from Kidani to Jambo instead of walking the main front sidewalk? It looks like it on some maps I've seen. Thanks in advance. Very excited!!!

Renting DVC points for the first time ever! Very excited to stay savanna view at Kidani! I usually have Touring Plans submit a room request fax for me. Does that not apply when renting DVC?

Renting DVC points for the first time ever! Very excited to stay savanna view at Kidani! I usually have Touring Plans submit a room request fax for me. Does that not apply when renting DVC?
You should be receiving an email etc from Disney asking your preferences for location.

Kidani savanna is our fave view ever at WDW! Enjoy! :):simba:

Touring plans includes the DVC buildings so they fax for them too.

You should be receiving an email etc from Disney asking your preferences for location.

Kidani savanna is our fave view ever at WDW! Enjoy! :):simba:

DVC reservations do not get an email asking for requests so not quite certain what you are referring to? The normal channels for requests for a DVC reservation are calling or email MS, during online check in or onsite at check-in.

Touring plans includes the DVC buildings so they fax for them too.

DVC reservations do not get an email asking for requests so not quite certain what you are referring to? The normal channels for requests for a DVC reservation are calling or email MS, during online check in or onsite at check-in.
That"s what I'm talking about.

We're heading home April 2018 for the first time since nov 2016! 2 bdrm and bringing my mom, sister and her family!
We have our first stay in anything larger than a studio at AKV coming up soon. I usually book the one bedroom units over at VWL. Silly to say, I'm kind of nervous/excited. Don't know what to do with all that room. Thankfully I have 4 young adults accompanying me to help fill the space :D

We are new members as well. Purchased a couple of months ago. We have a cash stay coming up in two weeks and are planning our first DVC trip for Oct 2018. We are pretty excited :-)
WELCOME HOME Greg! Fingers crossed for perfect weather for you.

Is it just me or it is getting harder and harder to book value studio right on 11 month mark? I don't remember I have to "walk" the reservation to get the dates I want. Apparently people are doing it as I see studiod are all gone 11 month plus several days piror to check in.

Is it just me or it is getting harder and harder to book value studio right on 11 month mark? I don't remember I have to "walk" the reservation to get the dates I want. Apparently people are doing it as I see studiod are all gone 11 month plus several days piror to check in.
I was able to get a value studio for marathon weekend Friday jan5-mon Jan 8. Didn't have to walk it, it was just available at 8am the day I booked. I actually don't know if I know how to walk a res? Lol!

Oops forget that I'll be home in January before our April trip! I'm still in vacay mode. We just got home yesterday from a cash res at a moderate and boy did I miss my DVC deluxe villas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!