The nitty gritty

LadyLuck24

Mouseketeer
I'm on my final steps of purchasing a resale contract (closing docs sent in yesterday). There are some 2017 points on this contract and I want to bank them into next year. Somewhere along the line in this long resale process, I recall reading that these 2017 points (April UY) need to be banked by Nov 30, so all along I've have Nov 30 as the date in my head that all this needs to be done (I'm pretty sure we'll be all set by next week, so no worries there).

But--this makes me wonder. As a new owner, how do you find out all the "nitty gritty" rules of the DVC? Like how you only have til such-and-such a date to bank points, or banked points need to be used by this date or whatever. As a resale buyer, do I get an "official guide" of some kind that tells me all these details?

There is some information on the Members' website. A few weeks after you close, you will receive your log in info and will be able to access that. In the meantime, here's a few items from the website that do not need a secure log-in to access:

Home Resort Rules and Regulations

Membership Extras

Another good place for general info is here on the DIS via the DVC RESOURCE CENTER thread.

Congratulations and welcome home!

P.S. The November 30 deadline for banking (with an April use year) is correct. :)

You will be assigned a guide and you will also be mailed the little book on rules and whatnot. We bought our first contract, resale, in 2006 and it took us a while to figure out all the ins and outs. Plus now they have the member website where there is a lot of info. You will get your log in info for the member site. In two weeks you could try called in to member accounting to see if they will give you info over the phone.

One little tip....sometimes MS folks don't know or have correct info. If you feel the CM you are talking to has it wrong, hang up and call again to get another CM. Not long ago I got one who did not know you could bank transfer points and so I used the points for a trip sooner than I had wanted to and it messed up quite a bit of things for me (were June UY points so I ended up booking trip for end of May....DDs graduated the week before and we moved to a new state the day after they graduated and then had trip like 4 days after move....I wanted the trip to be like two weeks after move). I wish I had hung up with that CM and called back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts