The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyforme,

Would you mind commenting further about your Jiko experience? Jiko is our favorite restaurant at WDW.

Jiko was our favorite rest.too until...
We declared it our anniversary dinner ( even though the kids were with us ). I had bought a beautiful new dress and shoes etc. When we got there they seated us right away. Our waitress was not only bad but just down right horrible. She must of mentioned right off the bat that tip was not included atleast five times. Okay fine, I get it. She had zero personality. Our waiter last year was so wonderful that this was a big disappointment in itself. I ordered the corn chowder and filet. When she brought the soup out it she specifically said " here's your soup" and left. Well it didn't even cover the bottom of the bowl. When she finally came back to refill our drinks I asked her is this it and she laughed at me saying no that is just the sour cream and corn. Not the actual soup. Well I felt stupid. How was I to know after all she did say here's your soup and if that is not it where is the rest of it?? Then to top it off I had a bug crawling in my food of couse I had already eaten half of it so needless to say I felt really sick. Yuck!!! I showed it to the waitress and she apologized and took it to the kitchen. I saw her talking to the manager but that was it. I would atleast expect the manager to come to our table and apologize and offer to comp my meal or dessert on the house. This is just what I expect from fine dining. Atleast a visit from the manager would of been nice. It turned out that when the waitress brought us our bill my filet was taken off. Sorry to go on but what a big disappointment. We didn't even stick around for dessert which I was really looking forward too.
Now our dinner at Narcossess was the complete opposite. Unbelievable meal and service. We even got our own menu to take home that said happy 9th anniversary. I don't know how they knew but they knew.
Anyways I hope this doesn't deter anyone from going to Jiko. It was just our bad luck to get that waitress!!

Stephanie, Have a wonderful trip:thumbsup2 I'll be looking forward to your live updates..we'll be there verrrrry soon ourselves:lovestruc .
I'll be anxious to hear how crowded the pool is, how Kona Cafe is (we have 2 ressies there!) I'm not sure if it's on your list of places to eat or not.
Have a fabulous time.
Shell

We declared it our anniversary dinner ( even though the kids were with us ). I had bought a beautiful new dress and shoes etc. When we got there they seated us right away. Our waitress was not only bad but just down right horrible. She must of mentioned right off the bat that tip was not included atleast five times. Okay fine, I get it. She had zero personality. Our waiter last year was so wonderful that this was a big disappointment in itself. I ordered the corn chowder and filet. When she brought the soup out it she specifically said " here's your soup" and left. Well it didn't even cover the bottom of the bowl. When she finally came back to refill our drinks I asked her is this it and she laughed at me saying no that is just the sour cream and corn. Not the actual soup. Well I felt stupid. How was I to know after all she did say here's your soup and if that is not it where is the rest of it?? Then to top it off I had a bug crawling in my food of couse I had already eaten half of it so needless to say I felt really sick. Yuck!!! I showed it to the waitress and she apologized and took it to the kitchen. I saw her talking to the manager but that was it. I would atleast expect the manager to come to our table and apologize and offer to comp my meal or dessert on the house. This is just what I expect from fine dining. Atleast a visit from the manager would of been nice. It turned out that when the waitress brought us our bill my filet was taken off. Sorry to go on but what a big disappointment. We didn't even stick around for dessert which I was really looking forward too.
Now our dinner at Narcossess was the complete opposite. Unbelievable meal and service. We even got our own menu to take home that said happy 9th anniversary. I don't know how they knew but they knew.
Anyways I hope this doesn't deter anyone from going to Jiko. It was just our bad luck to get that waitress!!

That's terrible service and Iam not a very critical person when it comes to wait staff. A bug in your food is down right disgusting:scared1: I'm glad Narcossess made up for up it. That sounds like a lovely meal at the GF. We have ressies at Boma (buffet, though right?) for dinner so I hope that waittress doesn't work there!

Does arriving after 10:00pm effect the quality/choice of room you will receive??
Will your chances of an upgrade decrease???
Any ideas. Our flight lands at MCO at 9:30 and we will most likely get to the
Poly around 10:30-10:45...
:confused3

Sorry to hear about your experience at Jiko, but it sounds like we may have had the same waitress! Like you, I had a great first experience, but a terrible second experience. The waitress kept repeating constantly that tip is no longer included, and it really left a sour taste in my mouth. I still loved my curry shrimp, but the service was terrible. Hope you still had a great anniversary! It was our anniversary on this trip as well, and thankfully we had a great experience at Yahtsman Steakhouse! Congrats!

Have a spectacular trip! :goodvibes

HAVE A GREAT TRIP:goodvibes !!!!! I hope you have a great signal I love live TR's:woohoo: . I have one specific question CAN I GO TOO:rotfl2: . ENJOY;)

Have a safe and wonderful trip! :goodvibes

A live report....yippee!!!:surfweb:

Have a great trip! Aloha!!:hippie:

Thanks everyone!

STEPHANIE - have fun on your trip!!! Take lots of pix to share wtih us!
If you don't mind, can you check how much sand toys are at the gift shop? ALSO, I'm wondering how much the pastries/bagels are at Kona Island coffee shop!

THANKS!!! Have fun!

Thanks! I will check while I'm there for you!

Have a great time and I know I'd love to read updates from you! I know with my air card I'll get at least a good EDGE signal. The 3G coverage varies on Disney property.

Thanks! And thanks for the info. I had some trouble last year inside the building so we will see.

Stephanie, Have a wonderful trip:thumbsup2 I'll be looking forward to your live updates..we'll be there verrrrry soon ourselves:lovestruc .
I'll be anxious to hear how crowded the pool is, how Kona Cafe is (we have 2 ressies there!) I'm not sure if it's on your list of places to eat or not.
Have a fabulous time.
Shell

Thanks Shell and I'll fill everyone in on the crowds, including the pool. Oh, and Kona is on our list for dinner one night, so I will let you know what I think. I am disappointed that the filet is off the menu, but, we are going anyway...I'll just find something else to eat.

I want to say one more thing....packing this year is really hard with the airline baggage situation. There are 5 of us and I'm used to checking 6 or 7 bags....sounds like a lot, but 10 days in Disney and there are a lot of extra things to take...and 3 ounces of hair products, ect just doesn't cut it. Then we have to have room for stuff we buy there!
Anyway, I'm frustrated with how inconvenient all the restrictions and extra fees are for travel these days. Ok, I'm done. Thanks for letting me vent! lol

Polyforme,

Thanks for your honest review of your Jiko dinner. I would have asked for the manager as soon as I saw the bug. Our favorite server, Shellie, is only at Jiko two evenings a week. If she isn't working during our visit, I hope we get a male server(just to be on the safe side). I'm also looking forward to our first dinner at Narcoossee's.

That's terrible service and Iam not a very critical person when it comes to wait staff. A bug in your food is down right disgusting:scared1: I'm glad Narcossess made up for up it. That sounds like a lovely meal at the GF. We have ressies at Boma (buffet, though right?) for dinner so I hope that waittress doesn't work there!
Thanks for your sentiments!
We love Boma. We didn't have dinner there this year but we had there breakfast and it was great. When my dh took my son up to the buffet one of the cooks told him if he eats all his food he would bring him a treat. Sure enough at the end of his meal the cook came over and gave all 3 children some gummy bears which happen to be their favorite!!!

Sorry to hear about your experience at Jiko, but it sounds like we may have had the same waitress! Like you, I had a great first experience, but a terrible second experience. The waitress kept repeating constantly that tip is no longer included, and it really left a sour taste in my mouth. I still loved my curry shrimp, but the service was terrible. Hope you still had a great anniversary! It was our anniversary on this trip as well, and thankfully we had a great experience at Yahtsman Steakhouse! Congrats!

Sorry you had a bad experience too but a good one at the steakhouse. Actually one of our favorite wedding presents was from my sister who called the GF on our honeymoon anonymously and set up with the front desk concierge for us to be treated to dinner. The GF suggested the yachtsman steakhouse and arranged it all. When we got back to our room there was a message on our phone saying that someone is treating us to a special dinner tomorrow night and to call the concierge. They wouldn't give up the secret of who was doing this for us so we had fun all through dinner trying to guess who it could be. They treated us like royalty bringing out a bottle of champagne and a special dessert. We loved it so much that for most weddings we go to now we find out where they are honeymooning and do the same thing. We have found that most hotels are very receptive and the newlyweds love the suprise!!
Our next trip we will definetly have to book the steakhouse and you will love Narcossee's!!

Hi everybody,

I won a trip to Disney for 3 nights 4 days and Ive been trying to deside when to go, I was thinking about Dec 5th - 9th (daughter has 8 and 9th off of school for parent conferences). I have to fill out a form and tell where we would like to stay and I never been to the Ploy but I check to see if there was any rooms online but said theres none at that time. I really thought it was a low time before the big christmas crowds hit. Has all of Dec become big crowd times?
thanks

It does seem like all of Dec. is hard to book but try calling instead of online. You might have better luck.

I am so excited! In 9 days I finally get to realize a 16 year dream.
From the very first time I went to WDW, in '92, I have always wanted to stay at the Poly.
Well, that day is almost here!!!:cool1:

Just had to share

From the very first time I went to WDW, in '92, I have always wanted to stay at the Poly.

Just had to share

Have a great trip!!! Poly is the best- I can't imagine you having anything but a magical time!!

Just had to share

I kwym, it's been a dream of mine since I was a kid. DH doesn't understand why I want to stay there for the same price as BWV w/ an xtra bdrm. It's hard to explain to someone who never went as a kid.
We'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks!! Maybe we'll see you if youre still there!

Just had to share

Awww.... that is so very exciting! I hope you have the best time of your life and that it all lives up to your dreams. :goodvibes

Just had to share

nyyankeegirl said:
I kwym, it's been a dream of mine since I was a kid. DH doesn't understand why I want to stay there for the same price as BWV w/ an xtra bdrm. It's hard to explain to someone who never went as a kid.
We'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks!! Maybe we'll see you if youre still there!
I hope you both have a great time. :thumbsup2

Hi everybody,

I won a trip to Disney for 3 nights 4 days and Ive been trying to deside when to go, I was thinking about Dec 5th - 9th (daughter has 8 and 9th off of school for parent conferences). I have to fill out a form and tell where we would like to stay and I never been to the Ploy but I check to see if there was any rooms online but said theres none at that time. I really thought it was a low time before the big christmas crowds hit. Has all of Dec become big crowd times?
thanks
December is tough. There is a huge Mousefest meet the week you are talking about, I think. If you have to fill out a form, I would say "This is when I would like to go and where I would like to stay." Then if you need to pick a second choice, decide if the time of your trip or the resort you choose is more important. Then, choose accordingly. And, congratulations! :goodvibes

This thread is past the 250 page limit. It will need to be closed and another thread started. Please let me know when you have the new thread ready to go and I will close this one. Thank you.

Just had to share

Enjoy your trip:thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter