The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a height requirement on the slide at the poly pool? My son is 43 inches with regular sneakers, so I'm hoping he'll be able to get on most things (he's 4!)

There is no height restriction for using the slide at the volcano pool. It's more a question of using your judgment regarding the child's ability to swim and their own "fear limit". Have fun--the slide is cool! :thumbsup2

Hopefully I can help you a little bit! By 'cousins', we mean the waiters/waitresses at 'ohana. In order to make us feel like family, everyone refers to each other as cousins. :)

As for bounceback, if it works the same as last year (and so far it is), you can book now and CAN make changes as necessary. For free dining this year, we booked it LAST year. In the past year, we had to change our reservation 3 or 4 times and had no trouble! When you stay at a Disney hotel during the special time period (in this case it's late August/September), you had the opportunity to book a trip for next late August/September). We just phoned the number listed on the paper in our room and we're all set for 2009. If you have to cancel, I'm sure you're fine because it seems to follow the same cancellation policy. HTH! :goodvibes Forgot to add that it seems to be for all (or at least most) WDW hotels from the values all the way up to the deluxe hotels.

Thanks for the bounceback info! (Oh and for clearing up "cousins"!) Well we are going in Dec...early Dec 09. I wonder if they do the bounceback for that time I year. We couldn't tolerate the heat of going in Aug/Sept! Yikes!

Is there a height requirement on the slide at the poly pool? My son is 43 inches with regular sneakers, so I'm hoping he'll be able to get on most things (he's 4!)

There is no height requirement on the slide when we went in August my DS's went on they are 8 & 2. But keep in mind the slide is dark inside and they can't ride together. My 2 yr old only went once when he came down he was head first and flat as a pancake. This was me and my 8 yr old :scared1: when it was over.

KONA ISLAND - I saw pix of all the marvelous danish, bagels, muffins, etc. Can we use snack credits on the DDP for this or do we have to pay OOP? Actually, maybe OOP is better?? :confused3 What are the prices like for these quick bkfst yummos??

we're also just back from Poly, GV Hawaii 8/30-9/7. We had a few issues, had 4 different rooms assigned to us the first 3 days, mostly due to my issues with connecting doors. We also experienced the fridge not working with the doors closed. We didn't know what the problem was and it took 2 calls to get a new one. The cm who replaced it told us to keep the doors open and we never had a problem after that. Funny, my sister kept hers closed and had no problems. There seems to be a communication problem between concierge cm's, either that or they don't read the comments in the computer, that's another reason we had 4 rm's assigned. Concierge cm in the main bldg got us complimentary tickets to the Halloween party Fri night so I'm not complaining.
We didn't have tv issues the first couple nights, but I noticed channel 2 was fuzzy the last half of the week. I just watched it on another channel (same station on 2 different channels) when it got on my nerves.

The party Fri night was great! Very low lines for rides and none for candy! DD's got free face painting, we all, except for the to-cool teens, got full bags of candy. Didn't see very many photo pass photographers, we got 1 pic the whole night. We all had a great time and didn't leave until the park closed.

There was a bounce-back offer in the room. I think it was $122 for Poly, we couldn't book but I saved the paper and can check for anyone who needs it. There was another offer for less then $100 for one of the DVC's on the paper.

We did the DP and used the lounge for breakfast most days. We did Capt. Cook's our last morning and O'Hanna's Sat. morning. The character's were good, but the food at either place wasn't great. You can't get kid's waffles at Capt's, and the scrambled eggs at both places weren't fully cooked. The potato's were great both places! We also did flatbread pizza, which everyone loved, and ds14 about ate his weight in Dole whips! We were pretty evenly split on Tonga Toast. I wanted to try the adult grilled cheese and completely forgot about it.

The kids loved watching the water parade and wishes from the beach and pool, as well as from the lounge. They weren't playing wishes music while we were there, but it was fun just to watch. The kids loved the pools and we all loved the boat to MK, much faster then the monorail!

Hi everyone!!
Just got back from an 8 night stay in Hawaii longhouse and our trip couldn't of been better! It was our first time at Poly ( have stayed at GF, BC and POR ). The view was amazing. With three kids it was so nice to watch the water parade and fireworks from our room. The cm were so friendly and really went out of there way to please us. We asked Amber at concierge if they sold the cd that they play throughout the resort. She said they didn't but spent all day on the internet and e-mailing people to find out for me who it was. She showed up that night at our room with a list of musicians!! It also turns out they do sell hawaiin music in the gift shop but it is not the same as what is played at the resort. We bought it anyways and our dd loves to dance the hula at home. The pool was a little crowded for us but we usually only spend up to 1 1/2 hrs a day or at a time there so that was not a major concern. Also loved all the activities daily like the hula lessons, torch lighting ceremony, painting of tiki masks etc. No problems with transportation. In fact we had reservations for Boma breakfast at 8:30 so we took the monorail to MK and as we were waiting for a bus to AKL a van pulled up and offered us a ride. He was the manager of transportation and said he has a cm stationed by the buses and if there is only one family waiting then he sends a van. What service! The were trying to revamp the bus system he told us on the ride and send the buses where they are needed the most. Obviously not too many people would be going to the AKL from the MK at 8:30 in the morning. Sorry to go on and on but it really was a wonderful stay. We only had one bad experience and that was at Jiko. Needless to say that used to be our favorite rest.
We were also able to do bounceback offer and made our ressie for next August, free dining.
Hope all of you going soon have a wonderful and magical time!!!

Thank you for the wonderful review. I don't understand about the waffles.:confused3 We got them at Capt. Cooks last fall. What is on the menu for the kids now?

Thank you for the wonderful review. I don't understand about the waffles.:confused3 We got them at Capt. Cooks last fall. What is on the menu for the kids now?

The only kid's option is a scrambled eggs with bacon plate that comes with a small drink and a bag of grapes. I don't remember if you could substitute sausage for bacon, or if something else, like maybe a biscut, comes with it. I know it's the only option because dd9 wanted a waffle and was charged for an adult order. I questioned the cashier and she said there wasn't anything for kid's except the eggs.

WOW!!!! $122 rate for bounceback???? Was it limited to certain dates? MAN if they offer me that...I'll be back for sure! Woweee!

WOW!!!! $122 rate for bounceback???? Was it limited to certain dates? MAN if they offer me that...I'll be back for sure! Woweee!

It is $122 per person per night based on 2 adults, a junior and a child I believe, and it requires purchasing at least a 1 day ticket per person. I don't have the flyer we received in front of me. But it's not $122 per night.

We are heading to the Poly 12/6 - 12/13/08. This is our second visit and are so excited to get back!! On our last trip we stayed in the Hawaii building but didn't really utilize the concierge services very much. For this trip we booked a Magic Kingdom view room since that was what we really loved the most about our room last time. Well of course we're now wishing we'd booked concierge again, and now the Hawaii building is booked solid for the week.

What are the chances that something will open up between now and then? What is my best strategy for upgrading? Should I call every morning?

If we're not able to move to the Hawaii building, what building would be our best bet to ask for at check-in? We did book a MK view, so I'm not sure if those rooms are only in certain buildings.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Nicole

Does anyone know if the Concierge Lounge still offers the yummy pineapple bread for breakfast?

Also, a few questions from DH:
What beers and wine are offered? Any specialty Hawaiian ones? I know at some of the other CL you can request beer before/after the evening offering times and they will happily give it to you. Is the same here?

Thanks!!! :)

Does anyone know if the Concierge Lounge still offers the yummy pineapple bread for breakfast?

Also, a few questions from DH:
What beers and wine are offered? Any specialty Hawaiian ones? I know at some of the other CL you can request beer before/after the evening offering times and they will happily give it to you. Is the same here?

Thanks!!! :)

Pineapple bread is a staple of the Polynesian CL--it's still there!

Beers available include Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Heineken, and Amstel Light. As far as the wine goes, I'm not sure what brands they serve since I don't usually drink it--they offer a white, red, and zinfandel, if I recall correctly. There is also a fruit punch that has been spiked and is delicious.

The beer can be requested before and after evening as long as there is a supply available and someone to retrieve it for you. :thumbsup2

Hope that helps!

Well, tomorrow we're off to WDW! I'm excited about staying at the Poly again. We are staying LV Club level and I CAN'T wait!!

I will be taking my laptop with my air card with me, so I will try and hop on here and give some updates...that is, if you all want me to. (Not sure if I can do pics, we'll see how well of a connection I get inside the building.)

Let me know if anyone has anything specific questions you need answered and I will try to get the answers for you while I'm there!

Well, tomorrow we're off to WDW! I'm excited about staying at the Poly again. We are staying LV Club level and I CAN'T wait!!

I will be taking my laptop with my air card with me, so I will try and hop on here and give some updates...that is, if you all want me to. (Not sure if I can do pics, we'll see how well of a connection I get inside the building.)

Let me know if anyone has anything specific questions you need answered and I will try to get the answers for you while I'm there!

Have a spectacular trip! :goodvibes

HAVE A GREAT TRIP:goodvibes !!!!! I hope you have a great signal I love live TR's:woohoo: . I have one specific question CAN I GO TOO:rotfl2: . ENJOY;)

Have a safe and wonderful trip! :goodvibes

A live report....yippee!!!:surfweb:

Have a great trip! Aloha!!:hippie:

STEPHANIE - have fun on your trip!!! Take lots of pix to share wtih us!
If you don't mind, can you check how much sand toys are at the gift shop? ALSO, I'm wondering how much the pastries/bagels are at Kona Island coffee shop!

THANKS!!! Have fun!

Have a great time and I know I'd love to read updates from you! I know with my air card I'll get at least a good EDGE signal. The 3G coverage varies on Disney property.

Pineapple bread is a staple of the Polynesian CL--it's still there!

Beers available include Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Heineken, and Amstel Light. As far as the wine goes, I'm not sure what brands they serve since I don't usually drink it--they offer a white, red, and zinfandel, if I recall correctly. There is also a fruit punch that has been spiked and is delicious.

The beer can be requested before and after evening as long as there is a supply available and someone to retrieve it for you. :thumbsup2

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for the information!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter