The New Elite Commandos

Yes absolutely. Good call. No more food lines for us. They havnt added that for snacks have they?

Not yet to my knowledge, it seems they are starting with just a few places, and adding in functionality, then maybe they'll expand? I hope...

ETA; I forgot about Aloha Isle, it does have it now.

Editing again to add;

You can place mobile orders for the following quick-service restaurants:
  • ABC Commissary
  • Aloha Isle
  • Backlot Express
  • Casey's Corner
  • Catalina Eddie's
  • Columbia Harbour House
  • Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café
  • D-Luxe Burger
  • Electric Umbrella
  • Fairfax Fare
  • Flame Tree Barbecue
  • Harambe Market
  • Liberty Inn
  • Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe
  • Pinocchio Village Haus
  • Pizzafari
  • PizzeRizzo
  • Restaurantosaurus
  • Rosie's All-American Café
  • Satu’li Canteen
  • Sunshine Seasons
  • The Lunching Pad
  • Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant

The Late night hours are much less crowded - people like me with little ones in tow are in bed, but gram and gramps were up til midnight living their best lives!
They reported back on all the rides with almost no wait.

I’m hoping for this on our MK evening EMH. The park is open until 1am.

The Late night hours are much less crowded - people like me with little ones in tow are in bed, but gram and gramps were up til midnight living their best lives!

We went to evening EMH in October. The EMH were from 11:00 pm until 1:00 am. It was the most fun that we have had at Disney in ages. The park was empty, and everything was practically walk on. So.much.fun!

See? I'm thinking this for DH and I now - doing the later nights instead of EMH. But EMH has always been how we do it, and that smell of early morning Disney, with the newly washed streets steaming up at you? I don't know - might be too crazy of a change! LOL! I'm kinda getting excited for the "new" touring plans this trip.

See? I'm thinking this for DH and I now - doing the later nights instead of EMH. But EMH has always been how we do it, and that smell of early morning Disney, with the newly washed streets steaming up at you? I don't know - might be too crazy of a change! LOL! I'm kinda getting excited for the "new" touring plans this trip.

We’re just doing one evening EMH. Other wise we rope drop sometimes utilizing a morning EMH. Love that morning smell!

I love this post and the sentiments expressed. We do much of what everyone else has said. Our favorite "secret" is the PPO breakfasts, which I know really aren't secrets. We do Be Our Guest at Magic Kingdom (for SDMT and Peter Pan rides without a wait), Hollywood & Vine at Hollywood Studios (for Jedi sign-ups), and Garden Grill (for Soarin'). We used to do Tusker House (back when the safari was the big RD draw). These all make arriving ahead of rope drop more enjoyable because at least we're eating instead of just waiting outside the gates to get ahead of the crowds.

For MK fireworks, I park my giant stroller behind the line of one of the photo pass photographers on Main Street near Casey's. Once the fireworks start, the photographers typically move out of the way and you end up with some open space in front of you that lets shorter members of your group see better. It also helps if you give your 3 year old one of those light up Mickey light sabers to wave around; people tend to avoid crowding in too close when that is the case.

Other than that, we use crowd calendars to pick our parks, make sure we're up early for PPO breakfasts or EMH, and have a solid plan for what we ride on standby and with FP+ through lunch. We've learned to relax and get out of commando mode in the afternoons and evenings, and our trips have been more enjoyable for it.

My fear is that the new commandos are going to need a new income to keep up with the changing times.

I find myself purchasing the expensive upsells to make sure I get a good seat for shows. I have two kids in school and I teach, so we have to go during the most crowded times. The last several times we’ve been, rope drop gets us one, maybe two rides without much of a wait. After that, lines get long- even for the less popular rides.

For us, late night hours have been our best bet for shorter lines, but still it is hard to find walk on anymore.

I love the current fastpass system. It has been a complete saving grace when it comes to crowds. We regularly get 7+ fastpasses a day and don’t even bother getting in line for anything without one (unless it’s rope drop, EMH, or the ride doesn’t use FP). But that won’t last, I’m afraid. They are going to start charging everyone for extra fastpasses, or as more and more people become aware of the system, we won’t be able to get more than four or so before they all run out.

I hope it doesn’t become so that I have to do only one trip every few years so that I can afford to enjoy my vacation. I have lots of access to information, and I have the motivation and time to get to the top of the in-the-know Disney guest ladder. My access to financial resources, however, is significantly more limited.

Zig when everyone else zags.

We RD lesser rides and book morning FP+ for headliners at MK. I recommend something like this:

RD Peter Pan (I know - not a lesser ride per wait time, but not as much of a RD ride as 7DMT or Space)
iasw
BTMRR (as soon as that area opens at 9:00...essentially a second rope drop)
SPLASH (weather permitting...we visit a lot in July)
JC (wait times usually dictate that you bypass POTC to ride JC first)
POTC
FP+ HM (9:45-10:45)
FP+ 7DMT (10:45-11:45)
FP+ SPACE (11:45-12:45)

By noon, you have accomplished a lot, so continue to add some FP+ as available, such as:
Add FP+ for SPEEDWAY
Add FP+ for BUZZ
Add FP+ for POOH

Of course you make these based on earliest available, as you can only book one at a time.

This allows you to spend your afternoon and evening hours playing the wait time game with attractions and avoiding any waits longer than 30 minutes.

One other tidbit that is assumed in my planning above, and it's often overlooked: Don't leave any outdoor attractions until after 2:00 if you travel in summer. There's nothing more disappointing than having a storm close down the few rides you still want to experience. Indoor "minor" experiences (COP, MP, ETR, CBJ, TTA, HOP) are great for those stormy times.

Save things like Under the Sea, Barnstormer, Dumbo, and Laugh Floor (Jungle Cruise if you passed it up in the morning) for late at night, as they will be walk ons, especially if there has been a storm and families with the littlest ones will have left by then.
Great tips and why a TT FP in Epcot has many times been worth nothing as it seems a single rain drop ****s that ride Down

My fear is that the new commandos are going to need a new income to keep up with the changing times.

I find myself purchasing the expensive upsells to make sure I get a good seat for shows. I have two kids in school and I teach, so we have to go during the most crowded times. The last several times we’ve been, rope drop gets us one, maybe two rides without much of a wait. After that, lines get long- even for the less popular rides.

For us, late night hours have been our best bet for shorter lines, but still it is hard to find walk on anymore.

I love the current fastpass system. It has been a complete saving grace when it comes to crowds. We regularly get 7+ fastpasses a day and don’t even bother getting in line for anything without one (unless it’s rope drop, EMH, or the ride doesn’t use FP). But that won’t last, I’m afraid. They are going to start charging everyone for extra fastpasses, or as more and more people become aware of the system, we won’t be able to get more than four or so before they all run out.

I hope it doesn’t become so that I have to do only one trip every few years so that I can afford to enjoy my vacation. I have lots of access to information, and I have the motivation and time to get to the top of the in-the-know Disney guest ladder. My access to financial resources, however, is significantly more limited.
At this point, as much as I hate to admit, I’m ready for the paid fast passes. The last trip last week was so packed that the 4th fp or more was hard to get or worthless.

Honestly, I think we are living in the golden age as far as FastPass goes. Let me clarify by saying this is NOT better than it used to be with crowds were lower and rides that didn't offer FP has very short standby lines. I would absolutely prefer to go back to that system. But what we have now is so much more useful than pulling paper FP, and WAY more useful than the couple of years were you had to make additional FP at the kiosks. I may waste a lot of time looking at my phone in line, but at least I can get a FP for pretty much whatever I want if I look long enough. I'd rather do that than stand in line for an hour. But eventually this trick will be picked up by enough people that it probably won't be as viable of an option. But I could be wrong. The more people using it, means more options pop up more often. More users makes things like moving up a HM fastpass extremely useful, but probably wouldn't do much good for something like FOP where people are just trying to get any time they can.

Honestly, I think we are living in the golden age as far as FastPass goes. Let me clarify by saying this is NOT better than it used to be with crowds were lower and rides that didn't offer FP has very short standby lines. I would absolutely prefer to go back to that system. But what we have now is so much more useful than pulling paper FP, and WAY more useful than the couple of years were you had to make additional FP at the kiosks. I may waste a lot of time looking at my phone in line, but at least I can get a FP for pretty much whatever I want if I look long enough. I'd rather do that than stand in line for an hour. But eventually this trick will be picked up by enough people that it probably won't be as viable of an option. But I could be wrong. The more people using it, means more options pop up more often. More users makes things like moving up a HM fastpass extremely useful, but probably wouldn't do much good for something like FOP where people are just trying to get any time they can.
I think we are getting there now. I also think it depends on who the crowd is. We went this past Mardi Gras week & it was packed. The 4th fp was hard to come by most of the time. It was the same way last yr. I think it’s b/c all the Louisiana ppl I know go often (at least once yr or more) & know how the system works. When we went in the summer this past yr, 4th pass availa was much better. While waiting for a fp window I spoke to a family who had no idea how fp worked. They thought they had to pay. I’ve been during new year’s weekend & 4th fp availability was better then, but I think it was a lot of first timers who didn’t do research & had no clue.

When we are there late summer when there is rain it’s most likely part of a tropical storm where lightening is involved. Florida I believe is know as the state with most lightening strikes. I have ridden TT while it rained. WAS NOT fun. Painful actually

You must have a special alert system on your computer. I mention Dolewhip and bam! Here ya are. ;)

I absolutely hate the mornings. I am a night owl by nature and work evenings and nights. But i'm a dedicated park commando so early on in the trip while i'm getting used to gettin up early i'm usually operating on 3 hours of sleep. I'm convinced that that morning smell is what keeps me going through the day. That and (I hope dear old Bawb wouldn't my me sharing his elite secret) shot frequent naps throughout the day wherever I am. Bench, ride, table strangers shoulder..wherever.

I love this post and the sentiments expressed. We do much of what everyone else has said. Our favorite "secret" is the PPO breakfasts, which I know really aren't secrets. We do Be Our Guest at Magic Kingdom (for SDMT and Peter Pan rides without a wait), Hollywood & Vine at Hollywood Studios (for Jedi sign-ups), and Garden Grill (for Soarin'). We used to do Tusker House (back when the safari was the big RD draw). These all make arriving ahead of rope drop more enjoyable because at least we're eating instead of just waiting outside the gates to get ahead of the crowds.

For MK fireworks, I park my giant stroller behind the line of one of the photo pass photographers on Main Street near Casey's. Once the fireworks start, the photographers typically move out of the way and you end up with some open space in front of you that lets shorter members of your group see better. It also helps if you give your 3 year old one of those light up Mickey light sabers to wave around; people tend to avoid crowding in too close when that is the case.

All secrets and tips are welcome here and those early breakfasts are definitely a good idea for those wish the cash to spare.

As for your firework spot. I'm really trying to think of a good spot for the new fireworks show. I was also thinking nearby casey. Isn't there also a fence near there that we can plant ourself at so that we dont have to worry about people elbowing their way in front of us before the show starts?

My old spot was also by the fence on the right side that had a tree that only partially blocked my view. Not sure if that spot is still valid. Been a while since we've gone.

Agreed. Trips are becoming increasingly more expensive. I once stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge for 1800$. That was for 3 of us. Included food, air travel from ottawa, park tickets, and lodging for a week. Needless to say that will never happen again. In fact now that we are 5 people we probably will never stay on site again. Its just way too expensive when you consider you can get a full house or multibedroom fully equipped condo for cheaper offsite. We also drive down and save considerably on the airfare. As well as bring food into the parks.

There are ways to still make Disney a pretty affordable trip. You just gotta come up with ways to bring that cost down. This should also be part of the new Elite Commando repetoire :).

Great tips and why a TT FP in Epcot has many times been worth nothing as it seems a single rain drop ****s that ride Down

Sir...
I know you feel excited about joining an elite group. You feel like you are part of the cool kids now. I get it. But that language is unacceptable for a commando. There are kids on these boards for gosh sakes?! Shame on you sir. We elite commandos have class....... ;)

I think the new system is undoubtedly better. Just not for us who were able to master the old system.
But the new system is better achieving what Disney intends for it to do. To better streamline the experience for the majority of guests. To kind of even out the guest experience and better distribute the crowds through the park.
What this system still isn't doing, but probably will do in the future, is have people realize that the fast passes are to allow you to wait in line elsewhere, not necessarily go on another ride but explore the shops and food locations (so disney can make more cash from ya when you used to just be waiting in line).

But there will always be tips and tricks that develop so we need to stick together and keep ahead of the curve :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!