The new DVC Riviera Resort??

Ohhhh, I wish I could see the pictures. They aren't showing on my computer but I do not have twitter.

Thanks for the pictures. These are HUGE compared to the ski lift gondolas I've been on.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the photos. I guess the ski lift gondolas aren't designed to load snowmobiles, whereas there's talk people will be able to drive ECVs straight into the Skyliner gondolas?

That's what I was thinking when I saw the photos. I guess the ski lift gondolas aren't designed to load snowmobiles, whereas there's talk people will be able to drive ECVs straight into the Skyliner gondolas?

Correct. These are urban transport carriages.

Did the DVC tour the other day. We never did the tour before we bought we were there with a relative who is not a member. The DVC guide said that they estimate CCV to be sold out sometime in December. No date for Riveria to go on sale, no price set on Riveria. He hinted at price as $200+ most likely. He made it sound that it will be a deluxe resort along the lines of VGF.

Last edited:
Great! Then they should be able to handle my giant twin pram :)

Possibly. If it's a double-wide, possibly not. Open width is 32" on a standard Omega IV cabin, which is what Disney's been buying. So slightly under 3 feet, which is narrower than most of the double-wide strollers I've seen.

Did the DVC tour the other day. We never did the tour before we bought we were there with a relative who is not a member. The DVC guide said that they estimate CCV to be sold out sometime in December. No date for Riveria to go on sale, no price set on Riveria. He hinted at price as $200+ most likely. He made it sound that it will be a deluxe resort along the lines of VGF.

That means DVC will have to go several months without a new resort to sell until Riviera can start? I am obviously not counting AUL as, from what I have read, it's no where near sold out.

LAX

Sounds like the guide really wanted to move some CCV points. CCV is roughly 3/4 declared after 1.5 years. Is the guide predicting a DOUBLING of monthly sales? They'd have to offer extraordinary incentives to accomplish that.

Or, the guide could be telling a half truth(!) based on a few pieces of insider information they amalgamated? Maybe a price increase for CCV is planned in December as CCV nears sell out, ahead of release of information and presale of Riviera in early 2019?

Disney can actually start selling Riviera when they want. They will need to reveal layouts and open date. But they can sell. They just probably won't until they cannot sell CCV any more.

I think late Q1 is likely the target though.to start selling.

Sounds like the guide really wanted to move some CCV points. CCV is roughly 3/4 declared after 1.5 years. Is the guide predicting a DOUBLING of monthly sales? They'd have to offer extraordinary incentives to accomplish that.

Or, the guide could be telling a half truth(!) based on a few pieces of insider information they amalgamated? Maybe a price increase for CCV is planned in December as CCV nears sell out, ahead of release of information and presale of Riviera in early 2019?

It could be, but if I remember correctly but DVC was selling Poly and AUL when they started to sell CCV. Poly sales were hot and CCV was slow till they sold out of Poly. It may have been declared for 1.5 years but was not the only option to choose. Now that it’s CCV and AUL. CCV is hot and selling well.

An essential part of Riviera will be the gondola system. The gondola will be significantly faster than standing out in a bus stop, waiting for a bus. By the time the bus arrives and you load up on the bus, the gondola will already have taken you to your destination, and that is before the bus actually travels and unloads. It will move at 11 mph pretty much constantly, even with with loading and unloading. It will be made of Heat reflective materials and with the forced airflow from the venting system it will be just fine. Also keep in mind that every time the gondola passes through a station and the door opens, the station will probably be airconditioned. Cold air will go into the gondola. It will help keep it cool for the next 3 to 6 minutes until it gets to the next station at its destination.

Keep in mind they use longer gondola systems in multiple countries where the temperatures are even hotter than here. None of them to my knowledge have an air-conditioning system. But you don’t hear people complaining about the heat and they are very popular.

Disney has thought about this, and made plans about this, and studied it COMPLETELY. They have been considering this for decades and made plans for many years before they even started to let out rumors that it might come to pass. This was far from a spur of the moment decision and every detail has been worked out.

The fact is, that the Gondolas make absolutely the most sense of any public transportation system for Disney world going forward. Buses are a continuing drain on the system and wages and cost many millions of dollars a year. Monorails cost between $100 million and $300 million per mile, and maintenance is very expensive. Boats are relatively inexpensive but cannot go everywhere. Meanwhile it only costs approximately $5 million per mile to extend the gondola system.

Like magic bands, in a few years people wonder how they ever got by without them. But the impact of the gondolas will actually be much greater than the impact of magic bands, and the impact of the magic band is tremendous.

Since the Riviera will be the first luxury and the first DVC resort with gondolas, that alone will help make the Riviera into a big success. People will find the gondolas to be much more convenient and much faster than the monorails, the boat, the buses, and walking. Soon we will start classifying Resorts as either Gondola resorts, or non-gondola Resorts. And that will leave most of the other resorts out in the cold, at least until they make the gondola extensions.

I think in the future extensions will take place in three phases. First phase will be to extend the gondolas from Epcot to Typhoon Lagoon, Old key west, Saratoga Springs, and Disney springs. Second phase will be to extend the gondolas to Caribbean beach and animal kingdom then on to the animal Kingdom Lodge. Third phase will be to extend it to Magic Kingdom and Resorts such as wilderness Lodge. And by that point they will also be making plans to complete the system by extending the gondolas to all of the other resorts including all of the value resorts.

It isn’t just by chance that this gondola system connects to two theme parks, one deluxe DVC resort, one moderate resort, and two value resorts. Disney looked at it and decided that this first phase will be the test for the whole system and for all of the resorts.

There are also rumors that the Epcot international gate might be closed during later November and the first half of December. This will supposedly be so that the gondola CABLES can be strung through the area.

Seems a little bit premature to me. I think the rumor is wrong. If they are putting up the cables in December, then there is no need to wait clear until next fall to have the gondola is up and running.

There are also rumors that the Epcot international gate might be closed during later November and the first half of December. This will supposedly be so that the gondola CABLES can be strung through the area.

Seems a little bit premature to me. I think the rumor is wrong. If they are putting up the cables in December, then there is no need to wait clear until next fall to have the gondola is up and running.

I thought the gondolas were rumored to started running in the spring or early summer?

I understand construction causing a closing. I understand last minute closings due to problems, but a last minute closure announcement after everyone has made dining plans and fastpasses and (if they wait much longer) members points would go into holding...... that's total bull****.

If they'd announced at 7 months, people could have at least had some choices. THEY have some choice in the matter. If this is true, they're gonna shut it down after F&W and have it back open by Christmas / New Years crowds....so convenient for them.

I'm editing to be overdramatic...

I think Disney is out to get me. My family's only request was the Star Wars Dessert Party (not running during our visit). Already broke the news to them.

Ticket changes are on the same day as my FP date (10/16). How much you wanna bet the site will be down?

I just spent 3 days tweaking ADRs and laying out our plans for FPs and would have switched my Epcot days to the end of our stay (we have a couple of days after the 18th) had I known sooner. I'm pretty much out of time now. ( I do have a life.)

This is our first DVC stay as a family and we're bringing D20's boyfriend. I've been so excited and pumping everyone up. Now I can't fill everyone's 1 request (dessert party), will probably not get the FPs we want, and will not be able to enjoy the #1 reason we purchased a 2042 resort over somewhere else..... walk to 2 parks.

Yes, I'm aware I'm whining. I just need to get it out.

Last edited:
I understand construction causing a closing. I understand last minute closings due to problems, but a last minute closure announcement after everyone has made dining plans and fastpasses and (if they wait much longer) members points would go into holding...... that's total bull****.

If they'd announced at 7 months, people could have at least had some choices. THEY have some choice in the matter. If this is true, they're gonna shut it down after F&W and have it back open by Christmas / New Years crowds....so convenient for them.

I think Disney is out to get me. My family's only request was the Star Wars Dessert Party (not running during our visit). Already broke the news to them.

Ticket changes are on the same day as my FP date (10/16). How much you wanna bet the site will be down?

I just spent 3 days tweaking ADRs and laying out our plans for FPs and would have switched my Epcot days to the end of our stay (we have a couple of days after the 18th) had I known sooner. I'm pretty much out of time now. ( I do have a life.)

This is our first DVC stay as a family and we're bringing D20's boyfriend. I've been so excited and pumping everyone up. Now I can't fill everyone's 1 request (dessert party), will probably not get the FPs we want, and will not be able to enjoy the #1 reason we purchased a 2042 resort over somewhere else..... walk to 2 parks.

I’m right there with you - if true I find it inexcusable to not give advance notice to guests. I’m already irritated with the late announcement of AKV’s pool closure and shutting down Raffiki’s and the sudden jump in food prices, etc..
Seems like I’m paying quite a bit to visit a construction zone.

While I understand the sentiment, this is the nature of Disney and timeshares. From a Disney standpoint they've never been good at planning, notifying guests about such issues. On the timeshare side, there are things that happen over time and need to be done and guests are going to have less options to avoid it than on the hotel side. Late Nov and early Dec are relatively low seasons overall for Disney even though they are high seasons for DVC. The point being this is basically the nature of the beast whether this exact issue ends up being a problem or not. It's something one should consider before buying into a timeshare since we're a more captive audience than the hotel population.

I'm just hoping that since they have now announced the next DVC resort and gave us 1 artist drawing for that resort they will finally give us a little more info about Riviera! Its so frustrating that the only real info we have on the Riviera is 1 artist drawing! Give us a little something please!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter