The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
100_1614.jpg

100_1615.jpg

100_1616.jpg

100_1617.jpg

100_1618.jpg

100_1619.jpg

100_1620.jpg

I dont think the bathroom was redone except for the curtain rod which I didnt think of taking a picture of but here are some anyways.....

100_1622.jpg

100_1624.jpg

100_1623.jpg

Tete, I love your pictures!! Thanks for coming back and posting them. I understand about your stay. Glad it improved. It sounds like the whole SL was brand spankin' new for you. I am just surprised at the empty walls in the little seating area. :confused3 Was the sofa a sofabed- do you know?? So, if you go back to WDW would you stay at the GF again?? If so, would you choose SL or another room category? If not, where would you stay?

I still can't get over that mega crowd in the SL lounge. We stayed SL President's week a few yrs ago and I supposed due to lack of seating most people (us included) filled a tray and took it to the room so the lounge never seemed too busy.:confused3 I guess you can still do that.

Tenbelow & Grannie Minnie
...I like your thinking.:rotfl: :thumbsup2 Good luck!:wizard:

Happy planning,

Lives4Disney :)

The GF is one resort that doesn't "pre-assign" rooms. They're taken from available inventory when you check in. I've seen upgrades given out far in advance and the guests finds out due to the updated confirmation being sent out and they also can happen right at check in as well. There's no rhyme or reason as to how it's done. I think we've seen a bit of an increase at the GF, due to the renovation and trying to keep guests in certain buildings. We'll probably see it go back down to more infrequent upgrades as soon as the renovation is complete.

Tammi - Thanks for the reply, it makes perfect WDW sense, I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

In terms of turn down service that was asked about previously, it's only automatic on the club levels in the deluxe resorts. Unfortunately, Disney has taken quite a hit in their housekeeping staff and I think they continue to run understaffed. At the other deluxe resorts you do have to call and request turn down if you are staying in a standard room. The GF still will do it automatically, but it's based on staffing. If someone calls in sick, then you may be out of luck.

I did not know this as we received turndown service each night on our stay at the GF last year without requesting it; our stay was during a non-peak time and housekeeping did a fantastic job, so I guess like everything else these days it's YMMV.

Thanks! :flower3:

I still can't get over that mega crowd in the SL lounge. We stayed SL President's week a few yrs ago and I supposed due to lack of seating most people (us included) filled a tray and took it to the room so the lounge never seemed too busy.:confused3 I guess you can still do that.
Channing, I think you're exactly right. The reason it looks crowded now, is because there are actually places to sit.

I hate to be negative, because I have always loved the GF so much, but does anybody else just HATE these new rooms?

I mean...I don't just dislike them..I honestly hate them with a passion. To the point where I don't think I would want to stay there any more, and that is just breaking my heart!:sad1:

I know we will stay there again at least once more, just because I don't want to base my decision on pictures alone, but gosh..it would have to be UNBELIEVABLY better in person!

The new bedspreads, curtains, etc.. I think I could stomach, but THAT SITTING AREA!?!:scared1: :sad2:

What in the heck were they thinking? The bare walls just make the ugly furniture stick out even more!

Sorry if I offended by my little rant! I know you all are great lovers of the GF, as am I, which is why this upsets me so!

This makes me happier than ever that we got stuck in Sago last trip!!

I hate to be negative, because I have always loved the GF so much, but does anybody else just HATE these new rooms?

I mean...I don't just dislike them..I honestly hate them with a passion. To the point where I don't think I would want to stay there any more, and that is just breaking my heart!:sad1:

I know we will stay there again at least once more, just because I don't want to base my decision on pictures alone, but gosh..it would have to be UNBELIEVABLY better in person!

The new bedspreads, curtains, etc.. I think I could stomach, but THAT SITTING AREA!?!:scared1: :sad2:

What in the heck were they thinking? The bare walls just make the ugly furniture stick out even more!

Sorry if I offended by my little rant! I know you all are great lovers of the GF, as am I, which is why this upsets me so!

Ya, they sure don't thrill me from the pictures. :confused: People have said they are much prettier in person, but I don't care for the vanilla color combinations and Tete's room almost looks kind of unfinished. Maybe it is due to the fact that she was the very first one to stay in that room - the building just opened THAT very day for guests.:confused3 :confused3 Maybe they will add more to the walls.

Happy planning,

Tete, I love your pictures!! Thanks for coming back and posting them. I understand about your stay. Glad it improved. It sounds like the whole SL was brand spankin' new for you. I am just surprised at the empty walls in the little seating area. :confused3 Was the sofa a sofabed- do you know?? So, if you go back to WDW would you stay at the GF again?? If so, would you choose SL or another room category? If not, where would you stay?

Hello Channing! I had stayed RPC 7 years ago and didnt really take advantage of the lounge. I do know that they made my ADRs for me but other than that I cant say I went to the lounge once. I was young and had no idea! We took a long break from Disney to have children and started going back last September in the past 14 months have stayed at BWI(standard), SoG, and YC(water view). This trip we went for our Kitchen Sink at B&C and felt very sad to not be staying there. YES I will stay at GF again but I have to say that I think I would rather put the money into a MK view. I know it is Theme Park view now but I think I would take my chances. Next trip I will most likely stay at YC/BC. I do like to change my resorts though. AK doesnt appeal to me and I think I have had WL booked a few times and always change it. No flames please but I get a Bugaboo Steakhouse feel everytime I see the pictures...:confused3 I always say I am going to take the boat over but I never get there. I am sure at Christmas it is beautiful. We shall see....I am suppose to go back in March but my DH is now going overseas and I dont know if I can do it alone. I already have my flight so maybe I will bring someone....

It looked like that for breakfast mostly. Only a few days there was a crowd for the appetizers. They had trays out to take the food back to your room but we lucked out a lot. My kids were able to snag a child size table and I waited for a table or stood. Tons and tons of British so it was fun to chat! I think that they B&B feeling that everyone was talking about before is gone though.

I was surprised that the sofa was not a sofabed!!:scared1: My DD started out sleeping there but would move to the bed fast.

I will continue to hang out on this thread because I feel like I fit in here...:goodvibes I feel like I know everyone here and look forward to the Q&As and trip reports! Thanks everyone!

Hello Channing! I had stayed RPC 7 years ago and didnt really take advantage of the lounge. I do know that they made my ADRs for me but other than that I cant say I went to the lounge once. I was young and had no idea! We took a long break from Disney to have children and started going back last September in the past 14 months have stayed at BWI(standard), SoG, and YC(water view). This trip we went for our Kitchen Sink at B&C and felt very sad to not be staying there. YES I will stay at GF again but I have to say that I think I would rather put the money into a MK view. I know it is Theme Park view now but I think I would take my chances. Next trip I will most likely stay at YC/BC. I do like to change my resorts though. AK doesnt appeal to me and I think I have had WL booked a few times and always change it. No flames please but I get a Bugaboo Steakhouse feel everytime I see the pictures...:confused3 I always say I am going to take the boat over but I never get there. I am sure at Christmas it is beautiful. We shall see....I am suppose to go back in March but my DH is now going overseas and I dont know if I can do it alone. I already have my flight so maybe I will bring someone....

It looked like that for breakfast mostly. Only a few days there was a crowd for the appetizers. They had trays out to take the food back to your room but we lucked out a lot. My kids were able to snag a child size table and I waited for a table or stood. Tons and tons of British so it was fun to chat! I think that they B&B feeling that everyone was talking about before is gone though.

I was surprised that the sofa was not a sofabed!!:scared1: My DD started out sleeping there but would move to the bed fast.

I will continue to hang out on this thread because I feel like I fit in here...:goodvibes I feel like I know everyone here and look forward to the Q&As and trip reports! Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the great answer. :) I was just curious because after I read your first report of your SL experience I got kind of confused whether it was OK or not OK or kind of OK, LOL. :upsidedow I like the WL to visit but not to stay - never appealed to me that much. It's fun to boat over and look around. Once we did the surrey bikes and a few times the "sleigh" ride. I have WCC booked for late Tgiving nt, mostly just to trek over and hang out - something different before hitting the MK in the eve. That is funny about the steakhouse thing. ;) We don't have thsoe, but I remember Ponderosa....that's what I'll have in mind while at WCC I am sure. YC is our second favorite resort. I am still trying for a 1/2 GF 1/2 YC stay, but so far that GF concierge is unavailable. :guilty: I thought I'd snag SL if it opened up so I appreciate your sharing. Not sure, though. YC is pretty much wide open. It doesn't seem to be THE place to be.:confused3 I really like the feel/size/layout of the YC rooms and if the GF room decor is a disappointment, YC may be a nice (CHEAPER, haha) alternative. Hope you make it back to WDW in March. :wizard:

Glad we'll be seeing you around the GF thread! :goodvibes :flower3:

Channing :)

I feel the same way. I like the bedspreads, but the rest of the room is boring. I also don't like the fact that the furniture doesn't match. From the pictures it looks like it has lost the victorian feel. It looks more like a standard hotel room. I am hoping it looks better in person.

Ok well I guess we can let you stick around ;)

I feel the same way. I like the bedspreads, but the rest of the room is boring. I also don't like the fact that the furniture doesn't match. From the pictures it looks like it has lost the victorian feel. It looks more like a standard hotel room. I am hoping it looks better in person.

Well, I've not seen the rooms except in pictures, but it seems stupid to lose the Victorian theme in the rooms, considering that the whole resort is supposed to be Victorian themed! Especially odd that the above posted pictures show one wall of the sitting area with no wallpaper or pictures, etc. I can't imagine that they would open up a half-finished room to guests!! If they did it to me, I'd expect the room to be discounted!!:lmao:

I dont like the white walls either
its looks unfinshed and plain
its not as bright
I really hate that blue chair and pink couch I wouldnt put them in my house they dont match at all

I guess I didnt even notice the lack of pictures because I was shocked at the LARGE open space to the left of the tv. I didnt get pics of it because that is where I stood to take the pictures. The cables were exposed to the tv and my DS3 went right to it. That is where I stored my luggage so he wouldnt play there.... I thought that was odd. In a standard room I am sure that is where the blue chair or sofa goes but it needs to be filled in that tower room. To the right of the tv was the "desk". I was also a little trown by lack of drawer space. Those four drawers under the tv were it! In the tower room, there is one under the additional armoire but if you dont have a tower room- 4 drawers for 4 people at 8 days and did I mention before that I always overpack???

Anyone ever heard of a guest being upgraded from a standard lodge room to a lodge tower room? Like the space.

Hoping for pixie dust, even though it's a reservable category...I'm thinking I'd like that upgrade even better than concierge!:lmao:

Anyone ever heard of a guest being upgraded from a standard lodge room to a lodge tower room? Like the space.

Hoping for pixie dust, even though it's a reservable category...I'm thinking I'd like that upgrade even better than concierge!:lmao:

The tower rooms in the sugar building are by request only and there are only 3 of them. They usually try to give them to groups of of 4 or 5. If you are staying conceirge its a good idea to take the time to talk with the IPO CMs and they are very helpful with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter