The Long Road to Run Disney

I'm finishing out August with 26.2 miles run which is better than the previous two Augusts.

Monday August 26th: Planned Rest Day
Tuesday August 27th: 25 minute run (plus 5 min warm up and cool down) 2.66 miles @ 13.13 per mile
Wednesday August 28th: Planned Rest Day
Thursday August 29th: 60 second sprints/90 second walk x8 2.2 miles @ 13.4 per mile
Friday August 30th: Work late and grocery shopping
Saturday August 31st: Cross training, either swimming at my cousins or Iron Strength work out

My online college classes are kicking my butt, especially Algebra. This is going to be a tough eight weeks. Running has definitely helped me clear my head after assignments and studying.

Sunday September 2nr, I kicked off the new month with a four mile stroller run at an average pace of 13:42. I think this was pretty good.

Monday, the 3rd, was a planned rest day.

Tuesday, the 4th, was a 25 minute run with a five minute warm up and cool down for a total of 2.7 miles at 13:17 per mile.

Thursday, the 5th, was another planned rest day.

Today was supposed to be speed play with 60/90 intervals, but I pigged out on pizza instead. Moderation, right? I am also experiencing the first twinges of shin splints so I will be resting until my next long run on Sunday.

Last edited:
I also skipped my long run on Sunday :eek: 101 degrees in September? Really?!

I had a miserable excuse for a run on Monday. It started off as a 25 minute run, but I started walking after the first mile and never got back going. The shin pain is still there. 2.4 miles at 15:00 per mile.

I had an appointment with a urologist today. My bladder doesn't appear to be emptying completely which makes it easier for bacteria to grow. She put me on some pills as part of urinary suppression therapy that should help prevent the recurring UTIs.

I did finish my Iron Strength work out today. I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow and aim for three slow miles on Thursday. Hopefully the shin pain will be better by then.

Next September 11th, I really want to participate in a stair climb at a parking garage in Meridian, MS. It looks like a great work out and an awesome tribute for 09/11.

09/12 Thursday: My planned three mile run morphed into 2.1 miles with 60/90 sprints at an average pace of 14:16. No shin pain!

09/13 Friday: Grocery store/planned rest day.

09/14 Saturday: Hit 5 miles (or darn close to it) for the first time this year. I am still concerned with my pacing as this run was a definite fade. I walked most of the last two miles.

wtnUT3w.png

wJDDZox.png

Vs. the same run on 09/23/2017. Granted this was about a week later in training and completely different weather conditions (91 at the start and sunny today vs. 79 at the start and misting rain in 2017). The T+D, to my best estimate, using historical data (at the suggestion of @DopeyBadger ) is actually not much different, 157 today and 139 in 2017. My training up to this point is also on track, if not better than that year.

NJ5Zd1U.png

vPGoLFi.png

2017 was so much more consistent than today. At that time my weight was at 142, today I am at 160. I am concerned that may be my bigger issue, and one that I am struggling to rectify.

I have only run twice since my last update. My urologist had to put me on a different medication because the first one was making me light-headed and nauseous.

I ran 28 minutes, plus a five minute walk to warm up and cool down on the 18th. 2.65 miles @ 13:52. 97 degrees at the start :crazy2:

The school nurse called on Friday, and my husband took our older daughter to our family doctor. He believes she has a buckle fracture near her elbow. She was playing a game called snatch, which sounds like a mash up of football and dodgeball. She caught the ball, but a couple of boys tackled her. When she landed, she heard her arm snap. We go to the orthopedic doctor on Tuesday.

I am, rather selfishly, concerned about our Universal trip. I'm holding off on making any changes until we see the orthopedic. We are supposed to be leaving in two weeks.

On a positive note, today's five mile run was a success! I started slow, and it was the exact opposite of last week's fade. The weather this morning was also wonderful, with a T+D of only 125. My first mile split was 13:53, with progressively faster times until mile five which came in at 11:54.

I have a 5K next weekend. It's not my favorite course, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what I can do.

The orthopedic doctor saw no obvious breaks, but she's still complaining of pain so I have postponed our Universal trip to January. We have a follow up with the orthopedic doctor next week, if she's still hurting. I'm not sure what's wrong at this point.

Our rescheduled trip is going to cost a bit more. I'm not sure if Princess weekend will still be in the cards for 2021. It will either be a shortened trip with my cousin, or I will look at another race weekend in a few years.

Wednesday 09/25 was an easy 2.6 mile run at 14:11 per mile.

Saturday 09/28 was The Queen City Race For Life 5K which raises money for local breast cancer patients. It is a very hilly double loop course which has very little shade. I love the atmosphere of the race, though. It includes a one mile high heel dash, which is mostly men. It is also the only local race with snow cones at the finish line.

I'm in the navy blue tank, black compression socks, and orange shoes.

ykbM5xX.jpg

I finished in 36:21 with an average pace of 11:44 per mile. My splits were 11:39,11:53, and 12:16. Not my best, but I did finish third in my age group and got to add a new medal to my collection.

ryIxOQq.jpg

ANQUquD.jpg

I am still tentatively planning for either the Princess or Wine & Dine half next year. At this point it will be my cousin and me with no park tickets and just a two night stay. Maybe some time at the spa?

I finished out September with 29.5 miles run. This is better than 19.8 miles in 2018, but less than 36.6 miles in 2017.

I am 47 days out from the Magnolia Half Marathon. My longest run this training cycle has been 5 miles (twice), but I will be stepping that up this month.

I've only managed three runs so far this month. Saturday, October 5th was a 5 mile run at an average pace of 12:52 per mile. Very consistent run, and much cooler out! Monday, the 7th was not good. I didn't eat enough and just felt drained. I finished 1.5 miles at 15:02, more walking than running. Today was much better, but warmer than the previous two runs. I finished 3 miles at 13:38 per mile. Again, very consistent.

Serious question...do any of you take vitamin C or something else to help fend off the germs this time of year? There is strep and a stomach bug going around. With one in daycare and one in elementary school, I am just waiting for the germs to hit home.

I ran two miles last Sunday with Scarlett in her stroller, but had to cut what should have been a 10K run short because it started raining. I did run three miles on Monday to make up for some of that. I ran a miserable mile and a half on Thursday. This should have been a three mile run, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I did finish a 10K run yesterday! This is the furthest I've run all year. My calves felt really tight when I started out, but loosened up around mile four. My average pace was 12:40, but my splits were (mostly) negative (12:47, 12:42, 12:48, 12:38, 12:33,12:12, 2:51). I definitely felt like I could go further when I was done. I think I should have drank more than one 12oz bottle of water during my run, or maybe more after I finished because I ended up with a massive headache later in the day.

I have a seven mile run down for next weekend, but if I increase that to eight, I can try to hit ten the following week and still have a week to taper before the Magnolia Half on November 16th.

My beloved Hoka Tracers are officially retired. I'm trying to decide between ordering a pair of Tracer 2s or trying the Cavu 2s. Any advice?

I ran only once this past week, 2.65 miles with the stroller on Thursday, but I did finish 8 miles today! I've wanted to run this loop near my home for a few years now, so I'm really excited to have finally done it.

3bBrkV8.png

I'm 30 seconds off where I want my pacing to be. I think, this route is similar in elevation to the half course I'll be running in three weeks.

Today's run:

aqovFOd.png

Magnolia Half course:

fd33s7B.png

I finished the Magnolia Half in 2:46:30 in 2017. I would love to see anything under that. I definitely faded that race, so I'm working more on endurance right now than speed. Hopefully, I'm taking the right approach.

Eight days until The Magnolia Half Marathon!

I've only run three short runs since the eight miler two weeks ago. I've been fighting a nasty cold and avoiding the rain. I skipped the ten mile long run last weekend. I'm really torn between trying to make that run up this weekend or running the 10K my training plan calls for. Any advice?

I'm also wondering if I should consider trying some type of fuel this week. The race will have orange tailwind (which I've never tried). I hit the dreaded wall at about mile 8 of my first half marathon two years ago.

My last concern is what to wear. I've been training in 60-75 degree weather over the past several weeks, which is close to this race's 63 degrees the last time I ran it. I'm looking at a 37 degree start as of right now. I picked up a few options at T.J. Maxx this weekend that I plan to try out this week. I'm also debating shoes. I just got a new pair of Hoka Tracer 2s that I could (maybe?) break in this week and run in this weekend. I might also go with my Kinavras. They have about sixty miles on them, but they are a bit clunkier feeling than the Tracers.

Eight days until The Magnolia Half Marathon!

I've only run three short runs since the eight miler two weeks ago. I've been fighting a nasty cold and avoiding the rain. I skipped the ten mile long run last weekend. I'm really torn between trying to make that run up this weekend or running the 10K my training plan calls for. Any advice?

With the race only 8 days away, I don't think it's worth trying to do the 10 miler from a physical standpoint. It'll cost you physically more than you'll gain from it.

I'm also debating shoes. I just got a new pair of Hoka Tracer 2s that I could (maybe?) break in this week and run in this weekend. I might also go with my Kinavras. They have about sixty miles on them, but they are a bit clunkier feeling than the Tracers.

I'd say try breaking in the Tracer's and then run in whichever feels right for race day. Some of my shoes are ready out of the box and others take 50-100 miles before they feel right. So see how it goes this week.

With the race only 8 days away, I don't think it's worth trying to do the 10 miler from a physical standpoint. It'll cost you physically more than you'll gain from it.

I'd say try breaking in the Tracer's and then run in whichever feels right for race day. Some of my shoes are ready out of the box and others take 50-100 miles before they feel right. So see how it goes this week.

Thank you! I was hoping your might have some input for me :goodvibes

Despite my training derailing over the past couple of weeks and weighing 20 lbs more than I did in 2017, I just barely managed a PR at today's half. My goal for the 2017 race was 2:45. I missed that by 90 seconds. I honestly wasn't sure if I would do as well today, but I did manage to shave a measly 42 seconds off my previous time. My new PR is 2:45:48, which is still a bit shy of my goal. The temperature at the finish was about ten degrees cooler than in 2017.

I started out slower this year, but finished stronger. I caught up with a super nice lady around mile seven and pretty much fell in with her for the remainder of the race. She was really encouraging and a beast on the uphill parts of the course. I'm hoping the race website will load picture over the next few days. I failed to take any this year.

Here is my bib and medal, which was made by the race director's father out of magnolia wood.
74705074_3070821356280107_3960508550458900480_o.jpg

There is one local 5K in December that I would like to run, but I may have to work that weekend. My next run will be The Great Scorpion 12.5K on January 4th, my first trail run. I'm also starting to look for a flatter half marathon course in my area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!