The Key Program

I am so glad I bought it at $19.99! I have heard there will be more benefits attached in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.

I am so glad I bought it at $19.99! I have heard there will be more benefits attached in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.
I bought it at 19.99 too. My sister and I both like Chops and we like to be able to keep in touch with my mom because she is getting older. We would have bought internet packages anyway. It was a good value for us.

Oh boy, I'm glad we got it for 19.99$ because 31,99$ brings it to over 40$/pp per night in Canadian $!!! The Key will most likely be one and done for us unless they have promos in the future.
The prices change.. I just purchased yesterday for 19.99.

We will be on Harmony of the Seas in a Jr Suite and really considering the Key program but not sure about paying $350 for it... So you get on the ship early, get free lunch when you get on, VIP seating for shows, disembark at ports first, special time on things like rock climbing etc and disembark the ship at the end of the cruise with a special breakfast, is that it?

We will be on Harmony of the Seas in a Jr Suite and really considering the Key program but not sure about paying $350 for it... So you get on the ship early, get free lunch when you get on, VIP seating for shows, disembark at ports first, special time on things like rock climbing etc and disembark the ship at the end of the cruise with a special breakfast, is that it?

This is the list as I understand it:

- expedited entry (after Suites and pinnacle, before Diamond/D+)
- carry on luggage drop service
- each person gets internet/wifi
- each person gets lunch at Chops or Jaimes on boarding day(you pick)
- reserved seating for shows (still supposedly need reservations on harmony)
- reserves rock wall / flow rider times
- final breakfast
- expedited walk off

Agreed about Oasis class. At $140pp the value isn’t quite there but a 3-4 night at $60-80pp it’s a virtual bargain in the cruise upsell world.

But - I’m doing a 5 night next Jan. That’s $100pp and we’re a group of 4. That’s probably too much for us, but for a party of 2 or 3 it might still represent good value for the price.

Holland America on MS Nieuw Statendam coming up and just received email about the "Club Orange" program. At $50/day --- I don't think so.

$19.99 ---- short RCCL sounds good.

Holland America on MS Nieuw Statendam coming up and just received email about the "Club Orange" program. At $50/day --- I don't think so.

$19.99 ---- short RCCL sounds good.

I think RCI will keep trying to raise this price. The per cruise revenue is very low with only 100 key holders.

Just wanted to add we will be on the Harmony in a junior suite as well and I think the Key is well worth getting some full suite perks but we purchased when the Key was on sale for $19.99 per person per day. We stayed in a grand suite last year on Oasis but the price difference is $2,000 to upgrade from the Jr suite. No thanks. $280 is much more reasonable and since we can eat dinner in CK the only thing we will miss from the full suite life is the private sun deck. I'm happy!

Just wanted to add we will be on the Harmony in a junior suite as well and I think the Key is well worth getting some full suite perks but we purchased when the Key was on sale for $19.99 per person per day. We stayed in a grand suite last year on Oasis but the price difference is $2,000 to upgrade from the Jr suite. No thanks. $280 is much more reasonable and since we can eat dinner in CK the only thing we will miss from the full suite life is the private sun deck. I'm happy!

Dinner in KC is wonderful but when we did a Jr. Suite it was only a 1 night visit allowed so our next cruise we went for a GS to get the full perk. RCCL kept discounting before our cruise and we wound up in a Crown Loft 1 week Eastern for $4,200.00 on Oasis. Seems that was a good value and not able to duplicate anywhere near that with current/future pricing. Will be trying MSC Yacht Club for 2 upcoming week'rs at that pricing.

John,

That sounds wonderful! I stalk RCCL's site everyday for an upgrade but most likely won't bite. We are sailing with friends celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and want to spend most of our time together. They will be in a regular balcony cabin but we all have the Key so we can stay together. Frankly, DH did not like CK at all. It was a standing joke that the wait staff knew he wanted chicken fingers off the kids menu. A couple at the next table heard him order them and they did the same! I think we can live with CK this trip. Have my eye on Celebrity Edge next!

I purchased it for our upcoming cruise as a 40th bday present for myself. It is my and my 13 daughter going. Both of us will get a 1 device voom log in correct? not sure why i was reading it as one per room. Thanks

Wife and I are cruising in August.. she informed me it is a must that we have internet connection while away for 8 days from our 2 boys (both under 5 years old... cruise is HIGHLY needed and long overdue at this point given the hectic last 5 years).. however when pricing out the wifi packages they have and then seeing 'The Key' includes wifi and a host of other perks for a nominal price difference, we decided to pull the trigger. I read a thread before booking it from someone who was part of the 'test group' to try out 'The Key' for one of the first times. Their take on the perks were positive. One thing that stood out is that for any of the shows you go to enjoy... without the key it is likely you have to show up relatively early to get a 'decent' seat, however with 'The Key' you can show up mere minutes before the show and you have the best seats in the house reserved for you. Also, we are cruising on 'Harmony of the Seas'.. a VERY large boat with A LOT of people... 'The Key' gets you expedited embarkation and debarkation not only at the beginning and end of the cruise but at the ports of call as well. This seemed like a good little perk as well. The Lunch you get on the day of departure seems like it will be nice and the fact that they take your carry on bags from you to take to your room so you can wander around the ship empty handed. (They arrive before your 'other' baggage later that night).

Also from what I read on larger ships the lines can get long at the 'fun rides' and with 'The Key' has dedicated reserved times only for Key holders which apparently brings the lines down to next to nothing since it is rumored that they only sell a certain number of 'They Key's per sailing.. not that the entire ship gets it.. making it useless.

All in all from what I could find so far on this new program is that if you are going to buy wifi anyways, this seems to be a good upgrade with some nice perks along the way...

I totally agree with you! We will be on Harmony in September and we look forward to all the Key benefits. The only thing I would mention is that the terms of the program were updated a few weeks ago and now you do have to make show reservations for Oasis class ships.

This is not a deal breaker for us because I made show reservations for us last year on the Oasis even though we were in a Grand Suite. As soon as reservations open for our current sailing I will be making them happily.

Last edited:
Wife and I are cruising in August.. she informed me it is a must that we have internet connection while away for 8 days from our 2 boys (both under 5 years old... cruise is HIGHLY needed and long overdue at this point given the hectic last 5 years).. however when pricing out the wifi packages they have and then seeing 'The Key' includes wifi and a host of other perks for a nominal price difference, we decided to pull the trigger. I read a thread before booking it from someone who was part of the 'test group' to try out 'The Key' for one of the first times. Their take on the perks were positive. One thing that stood out is that for any of the shows you go to enjoy... without the key it is likely you have to show up relatively early to get a 'decent' seat, however with 'The Key' you can show up mere minutes before the show and you have the best seats in the house reserved for you. Also, we are cruising on 'Harmony of the Seas'.. a VERY large boat with A LOT of people... 'The Key' gets you expedited embarkation and debarkation not only at the beginning and end of the cruise but at the ports of call as well. This seemed like a good little perk as well. The Lunch you get on the day of departure seems like it will be nice and the fact that they take your carry on bags from you to take to your room so you can wander around the ship empty handed. (They arrive before your 'other' baggage later that night).

Also from what I read on larger ships the lines can get long at the 'fun rides' and with 'The Key' has dedicated reserved times only for Key holders which apparently brings the lines down to next to nothing since it is rumored that they only sell a certain number of 'They Key's per sailing.. not that the entire ship gets it.. making it useless.

All in all from what I could find so far on this new program is that if you are going to buy wifi anyways, this seems to be a good upgrade with some nice perks along the way...

This is only true for ports that require tendering, not all ports. Also my understanding is you should arrive at shows at least 15 minutes prior as they do open up seating to all guests at around 5-10 minutes before the show. If you do not have a reservation and the Key seating area is full you will be out of luck.

Very well stated. Just wanted to add TA said “The Key” sold per cruise where 100 or 200. Depending on the class of ship.
I have booked it for our cruise and very excited to see if the benefits are worth it.
We leave tomorrow on Allure. And I will be sure to post!

The only way I see it as being "worth it" is if
  • You already planned on getting voom for everyone in your stateroom already
  • You're not a diamond (or higher) member or a suite guest
Other than that, I don't see a value equalling almost $300 for a party of two

The only way I see it as being "worth it" is if
  • You already planned on getting voom for everyone in your stateroom already
  • You're not a diamond (or higher) member or a suite guest
Other than that, I don't see a value equalling almost $300 for a party of two

If you rent flowrider time that also adds up quickly. $60 for a group session that’s not as private as the key times have been reported to be.

I am currently on the Symphony of the Seas with the Key program. They have significantly changed the "perks" for the program, which was not divulged until I boarded. I will share the letter that was in the stateroom when we arrived.

We boarded the ship within 15 minutes of arrival at the port. That was without ANY Key privileges, that was just because the port is super efficient. We even had a bag check in security and a bathroom break, and we were still on board in less than 15 minutes.

We dropped our bags off at the theater. No problems with that. They gave us wristbands and said that was for the priority access to the Flowrider, Zipline, Rock Wall, and skating. I asked about this, and they said we have priority and can cut the line any time with the wristband. I am sure there are some people who have no problem cutting a line of children who have been waiting to use the Flowrider, rock wall, etc. for 20 minutes. We are not those people. Aside from this "priority" access we have 1 Key hour per activity for the whole week. That is very different from other sailings that had daily hours.

Lunch at Chops was a disaster. We spent 1.5 hours in the restaurant. The menu is significantly limited, with 3 choices for appetizer, main, and dessert, and they still took 1.5 hours to serve us. Unacceptable. If this is a "privilege" they should not be holding us hostage.

We attended the 1977 skating show today. We had to have reservations. People without reservations were turned away. We were guided to the Suites/Pinnacles section. We arrived at 3:50 and were told there were 5 seats left. We were lucky to find 3 together, though one seat was crowded by the suites sign. At 3:52 they removed the sign and allowed anyone to sit in that section. There were no seats available, though. I would recommend showing up at least 15-20 minutes early for shows. We will see Hairspray tonight and see if it is any different as far as seating.

So far this is definitely not worthwhile. They have taken away so many of the supposed benefits, changed others, and made others completely unappealing. If this is what you get for $19.99 per person per day they will NEVER sell it for $34.99 per person per day.

Other than that I have no complaints. The ship is gorgeous, the service (aside from Chops) is amazing, and we are happy and fortunate to be on vacation. Feel free to ask any Key or Symphony questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!