The Incredible Expanding Tour Group Invades Disney - Day One

tourguide

Earning My Ears
Our group is 14 people at its smallest and 17 at its largest. We range in age from 15 to 30 and we were ready for 5 days in Disneyland!

The group was tired but stunned when two stretch limos pulled up outside John Wayne Airport to pick us up. We let them choose: Black or White, everyone hopped in and we were off. At this point, our group was 15 and we had no problem fitting everyone’s luggage in the two limos.

If you’re planning your own trip, you can get 2 large bags in the bottom of the trunk, at LEAST 2 medium bags on top of that and another small one in the trunk. They also have space in the front beside the driver. We stacked 2 or 3 bags up there and several people also carried a small backpack on their lap. Our group was 2/3 light-packing guys though. If you have a bunch of people bringing the kitchen sink, you may want to rent an additional vehicle for luggage.

Additionally, I want to recommend Stylus Limo (http://www.styluslimo.com). They are friendly, professional, showed up on time and presented us with two impeccable limos to travel in. The fare was $110 one way per limo from John Wayne to the Fairfield Inn Marriott on Harbor Blvd. plus tip. I have used them previously and continue to be impressed with their service.

After a short wait at the Fairfield’s front desk, I picked up our room keys. The entire hotel is non-smoking, so no requests were necessary for that, but I had forgotten to make any requests at all. The ideal at this hotel would be all four of our rooms connecting or adjoining, located on an upper level, with a “mountain view” which means you want the side of the hotel that faces the Matterhorn. The reasoning behind this being that you can step outside your room in the evening and have a fantastic view of the fireworks. Amazingly, this was exactly what we were assigned! Rooms 532-535 with a mountain view. Fantastic! Not only that, all of our rooms were ready at 10:30 am!!! Fortunately, this was going to be a trend for the rest of our trip. It seemed that wherever we went to check in we heard “oooooh you’re the big group... we’ve been expecting you!”

The only irritating hotel anecdote I can report is as follows: I always make ressies months in advance and check frequently for specials and better deals. Recently, I signed up for AAA and noticed that the Fairfield offered a lower AAA rate. When I called up to switch my rooms to this rate, they said it was only for people booking online. Ok well I did book online originally; I can just cancel and rebook right? So then they say I can only book 2 rooms with the AAA rate and I need 4. Well I go online to do this, and it won’t let me book more than 1 room. Forget it, not even worth the effort. I understand online rates, etc… but it was a tad annoying that they wouldn’t just honor the rate when I called (long distance) to discuss it, especially since that kind of thing has never been an issue with them in the past. Anyway…

Since the last time I stayed at the Fairfield, they have completely updated the rooms. The beds are squishy and comfy with just the right amount of firmness. I really liked their new trendy color scheme in the rooms too. Each room has two queen beds with yellow and green comforters and a pull out sleeper chair in red fabric. The drapes were green and white pin striped and the walls were decorated with Mickey and other Disney art. (http://marriott.com/property/viewallphotos.mi?marshaCode=LAXOC)

One reason I continue to book the Fairfield for large groups is that extra pull out sleeper. It’s really only a small twin size bed when it’s pulled out, but offers extra sleeping space for all those teenage boys/young men who refuse to have any skin-to-skin contact with another guy while they’re sleeping. I can see it being ideal for families with several young children.

By now it was lunchtime and our group voted (by a narrow margin) for “cheap” over “good”, so we ended up eating next door at McDonalds instead of heading over to the Grand Californian to eat at White Water Snacks. I noticed McDs was advertising their “buy a big mac, get early dca entry” deal and pointed this out to the early risers in our group.

Up until literally the last minute, people kept adding themselves to our group. Our friend Nature Girl had JUST decided the night before that she wanted to join us on the trip, and since another friend was able to get her an airline employee buddy pass, she was able to fly down on our flight inexpensively. I had asked Story Teller the day before, “Does Nature Girl need a Park Hopper?” since we were stopping at the Disney Store anyway. No, he says, she’ll buy one at the gate. Okie dokie, it’ll probably cost more, but not my problem… or so I thought.

Story Teller and Nature Girl leave the group at McDs and head for the main gate. Meanwhile we finish up and head to the main gate also. We’ve just arrived at the front of the security bag check line when Story Teller calls to inform me that Nature Girl cannot buy a 5 day Park Hopper at the ticket booth, all they had was 3 day Park Hoppers, so I needed to take her back to the hotel to purchase one. Grrrrr… nothing more annoying than just wanting to get inside the park and constantly being delayed (McDs, back to the hotel, etc).

Back at the front desk, they had a 5 day for the price of 4 Park Hopper which came in at $159. She could have had me pick her up a 5 day for the price of 3 ($129 at the Disney Store) but again, not my problem. Just something to note for future reference… buy those tickets in advance at home!

Nature Girl and I speed walk back to the park to meet our group at Matterhorn. Nature Girl’s extremely long legs make for more of a slow sprint for short-legged me though. We headed through the right tunnel, which felt weird but was a shorter walk and we were trying to catch up with everyone else. The first thing I noticed was the criss crossed vines beside the tunnel walls had finally grown in fully. They were just starting to grow last time I saw them a year ago.

Since there was no Castle in the distance, we took a less traveled and more air conditioned path through the stores down the east side of Main Street toward Fantasyland.

After Matterhorn we decided to see if Big Thunder was open. We’d heard it was supposed to reopen Friday or Saturday August 27th or 28th. We came around the back side from Fantasyland and could hear the trains rattling by at a distance. Getting closer, the cars were empty so our elation turned to dejection, thinking it was still just testing. Arriving at the entrance though, we found it WAS open! YAY!! Later I read they were only sending every other train through because they had to unload every other one on the “closed” side of the attraction so they wouldn’t back up and collide in the load area like the last accident in July. Hey whatever it takes to be safe!

The wait was probably 15-20 minutes for Big Thunder, but was getting increasingly stressful for me. In the time we waited, at least 5 people in the group asked me about “the accident” that killed Marcelo Torres. Not only were they nervously joking about it in line, but kept asking me to repeat the story. Sigh. Yeah I really feel like talking about death while I’m trying to relax at Disneyland. I just wished they’d shut up. I’m sure the Thunder crew doesn’t really appreciate guests laughing and joking about the accident when several of them needed professional counseling after the accident. Besides that, there has been far too much death and hardship in my personal life in the past year, and I just really wanted to leave it at home. There’s nothing funny about a completely innocent guest being crushed by part of a ride vehicle while he’s visiting Disneyland with his family. NOTHING. Especially when you’re joking around about it within earshot of cast members who were personally affected by the tragedy to the point of needing psychiatric help. That was my second Grrrrrr of the day.

Next we went to check out Indy, but it was temporarily 101, so we got a Splash Mountain fast pass and headed to Haunted Mansion. No line. Walked right into the foyer. The smack I’d heard the last couple weeks about Mansion kept going on and on about how BRIGHT AND TERRIBLE the hallway is now with the new lights. OK, NO IT’S NOT YA WHINEY BABIES. Yes, it was slightly brighter than I remember. But NO it did not affect the changing portrait illusions at all. I could see every one clearly from Cat Lady to April December lady. Additionally, I LIKE the new lights. I think they fit just fine with the time period of the Mansion. In fact, I think they are SUPER COOL and I’d love to have any of them in my own home.

Moving to the load area, I really dug the new spider webs. The area was literally coated with real looking webs, rather than that huge cheesy one that used to stretch the length of the hall. Was bummed the Suit of Armor is still AWOL from the ride. I know they need something upstairs in the Gallery to attract the eye, but it’s still missed on the attraction. Additionally, why does “I do!!” always sound like BAGOO!! to me?? BAGOOO!!! The Shadow Pianist was playing away in the attic and the Mickey ears place setting was in its place in the ballroom.

Promised Little Leota we were just stepping outside to fetch our Death Certificates, but really made a beeline for Indy. Nope, still down. The group decided it was time for a mid-afternoon snack, so we took a break at Bengal BBQ. They ate and I took a call from my mom. Story Teller asked for a glass of ice water for me, but they didn’t have running water at Bengal, so he hands me a cup of ice and I end up trekking to Rancho del Zocalo to fill it with their outdoor water spigot thing.

Next we headed underground and back in time only to find ourselves in the middle of a pirate battle. The only missing piece I noticed was the pirate nearest the donkey in the town scene. I’m sure he’ll be back soon. One new character to me, is in the final lift hill as your boat exits the attraction. On the left, you first see the two pirates lugging their treasure. Next is a dead pirate. Last there was another pirate skeleton! In the past, I remember that little area being empty except for some beady red eyes glowing at me from the darkness.

Back down to Critter Country, we take a trip into the Hundred Acre Wood. I don’t care what anyone says, I LOVE the Pooh Ride. It’s sweet and beautiful. First, the greenish/blueish/purpleish leaves on the entry door are lit so beautifully, then you’re in the pretty shiny rain storm with Eeyore.. who is the BEST! In the middle you get to sneak a peek at the old Country Bears trophy heads, and what could be cooler than a psychedelic Tigger? I just love the whole heffalumps and woozles room altogether. Its bright and inviting and dreamlike and crazy all at once.

Next, our group of 20-somethings decide its time to beat the canoe paddling record and show those Davy Crockett CMs what a competent crew looks like. We’ve all had canoeing instruction and save for a few non-helpful guests around us, we book it around the Rivers of Amercia, with the CMs thanking us afterward for an easy trip. While we’re waiting in line, Tom and Huck notice our group from where they’re playing on Tom Sawyer Island. Nature Girl invited them to visit her dorm in Idaho and they end up accusing Suburban Redneck of being a sissy boy because his tie dyed shirt has a little too much pink in it for their taste. Something tells me Huck didn’t mind though… someone mentioned his “accent” kept sounding more San Franciscan than Southern.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! Our Splash fast passes are finally ready! Like usual, we get the snide comments from people waiting in the Stand By queue. I swear... what is wrong with people?? YOU can use Fast Pass too! No one told you to stand in line for an hour and a half. Sheesh. Their comments just crack me up though.

Common Fast Pass misconceptions:

1. We must think we’re pretty special because we get to cut in line. Not really, we’ve been waiting to ride for just as long as you… we’ve just been doing other things while we were waiting.
2. We must be pretty rich to be able to pay to cut in line. Nope, guess again.
3. We’re holding up the people who are doing it the “right” way and waiting in line. Actually Disney budgets for Fast Pass and only allows a certain amount of Fast Passes per hour, so my using Fast Pass is calculated into your posted wait time. Get it??? Apparently some people did not.

Caught a couple Billy Hill and the Hillbillies shows, met up with more local friends in the Golden Horseshoe and got to check out their wedding photo album between shows. While I stayed and visited with the locals, everyone else went off to ride Matterhorn (I missed it again!) and Autopia (no big loss, I hate the new seats in those cars. I swear they’re designed to break my back in half horizontally).

Dinner was Rancho del Zocalo. We sat beside the wall that separates the restaurant from Big Thunder. So nice to see those trains running again. I had nachos, didn’t come close to finishing, so I passed the plate off to Nature Girl who had somehow managed to not bring enough money along to eat in the park.

Fantasmic! was only running during the weekend nights of our stay, so I was determined to see it both nights. The park was insanely crowded and I knew viewing spots would be hard to come by, but luckily I know of a few spots that are usually empty right before showtime. :) After dinner, it turns out there’s only about 5 people who want to see the show! What is WRONG with you people?

• It’s too crowded, we won’t be able to see. (No its not, I have a couple secret spots)
• I don’t like “shows”. (Its not *just* a show!)
• I don’t like “fireworks”. (It’s not *just* fireworks! Have you ever even seen it? Well.. no..)
• I’d rather just go shopping. (OMG! You’d rather go shopping than spend your time viewing one of the greatest Disney shows of all time?!?!?!?)

“I’d rather go shopping”?????? You can shop anytime! Even after the park closes! We’re here for another 4 days!!!! Whatever, their loss.

So I ended up only taking about five people to watch Fantasmic! We got in position about 15 minutes before showtime and they couldn’t stop asking me why this spot was empty when the rest of the river had been packed for over an hour. :) I like the secret spot, but I promised myself I’d watch from the front and center tomorrow night, even if I had to wait the two hours. There’s nothing like being so close you can feel the water spray, feel the heat of the flames, and view every effect the way it was meant to be seen.

I really wanted to make it over to the hub to see Imagine, but we were trapped in front of the River when it started. Nice show, but the location could have been better. I liked it. It was sweet. Believe! is still my favorite though. Too many special memories of that show.

We rounded out the night by hopping on Pirates as the crowds pushed past trying to get out or looking for a spot for the next show. Right before closing, we tried for Peter Pan. Line too long. Tried for Toad. Line too long. Ended up on Pinocchio. I don’t ride this one nearly often enough! I love Pleasure Island with the lights and Monstro jumping out of the water is too cool. The whole thing is just so scary!

By now the Park was closed, so we tried to spend a few minutes shopping on Main St, but were too exhausted from our early morning flight. As we were heading off to bed, we passed the ever-alert, insomniac Nature Girl on her way back to hang out on Main St. As usual, she was wide awake and ready to keep exploring. I was ready for some deep, deep, drooling on the pillow sleep. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter