• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Goble Family Christmas Vacation-Day 5-How much stolen food have you brought?

rgoble5972

Are we there yet?
Monday, December 13, 2004 -- “How much stolen, contraband food have you people brought into this airport?”

CAST

Robin – 41 – Trip planner/recorder
Bill/Dad/Husband of Dianne – 66
Dianne/Mom/Wife of Bill – 63
Lisa/Sister/Wife of Lemuel/Mother of Michael – 43
Lemuel/Brother-in-law/Husband of Lisa/Father of Michael – 37
Michael/Nephew/ONLY Grandchild of Bill and Dianne – 11
Paula/Sister/Wife of Wes – 31 – Sparkly Princess
Wes/Brother-in-law/Husband of Paula – 31

I was up at 6:00 this morning and quickly got showered and dressed. I went down to the concierge lounge to see if we could possibly get a late check-out for the day, since our limo driver wasn’t coming to pick us up until 1:45. The CM checked on the availability of our rooms and the best that she could do was to let us stay in one of the rooms until 12:30 as they were expecting an early arrival in the other room. Since that wouldn’t really help us any I told her we’d just store our luggage with bell services and be out of the rooms on time at 11:00.

By the time I got back to the room, everyone else was stirring. We all got packed up—miraculously, we were able to fit everything back into our suitcases. Okay, I think we used two extra duffel bags that we had packed for just such a purpose, but I think that’s not too shabby.

At one point, Paula and Wes were telling Mother about their evening when they mentioned that they had eaten at the Rancho del Zocalo. I asked Lemuel, our resident Spanish expert, what zocalo meant and he said it was Spanish for “plaza,” thus making the name of the restaurant “Ranch of the Plaza” (Which is a fairly silly name, if you think about it, as one would imagine that a ranch, by virtue of being a ranch, could not be a plaza and vice versa. This, of course, is exactly why Disney doesn’t consult me when naming their attractions—they don’t particularly want me pointing out that ranches and plazas are mutually exclusive things.). Mother, however didn’t hear him correctly and, much to our amusement, thought he said Ranch of the Plastic Plate (which I think is way more fitting than Ranch of the Plaza, by the way).

As people got ready, they drifted down to the lounge to have some breakfast and to formulate a plan for the day. I picked up a couple of oranges and an apple to take with us to the airport. I didn’t have a carry-on bag as I had fit all of my things into my suitcase, so Wes nicely volunteered to put the fruit in his carry-on luggage for me.

The plan for the day seemed to be to break into two groups. One group, the do-or-die commandos (Paula, Wes, Michael, Lemuel, and I), wanted to re-visit some favorite rides at the theme parks till we were forced to leave for our flight home. The other group (Mom, Dad, and Lisa) had a more leisurely morning in mind, consisting of shopping at Downtown Disney for last-minute souvenirs.

Gathering my group, we headed to the hotel entrance to DCA for a last early morning ride on Soarin’. As we entered the park, despite the warnings by the CM’s that we couldn’t leave the Condor Flats area since we were in the park early, one grumpy couple (“How far do we have to walk?” “How long will this take?”) wandered off on their own. They had such a bad attitude that I kind of hope that security shot them on sight, however, I imagine that Disney treated them a tiny bit kinder than that.

As we were walking through the Redwood Creek area and into Condor Flats, I struck up a conversation with a CM named Bill, who was walking along the same route as our group. Bill said that DCA was his favorite of the two parks mostly because he had been part of the opening day ceremonies. I told him about Mother riding Soarin’ seven times and how relieved I was that everyone thought the ride was a neat as we had when we first rode in back in 2001. I mean, you know that it’s good and that people will like it, but you’re always glad when they think it’s as good as you’ve built it up to be.

While we were about to go into Soarin’, we spied a family of cats who were apparently living under the engine of the train which houses the Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream parlor, etc. There was the mother cat and two kittens that looked to be about 10-12 weeks old. It looked like some of the CM’s had been feeding the cat family as there were some empty plates which had been placed close to the train behind a short railing.

As we entered into the Soarin’ building, Michael decided that he wanted to ride on the front row for his last ride so he ditched us and hooked up with a family that had two cute little girls with them (he’s no dummy). We heard our last “Hel-lo.” from our buddy Patrick Warburton and took our last glide over California for the trip.

After we got off the ride, the park was open. We stopped and took another quick look at the kittens before making our way out of the park, stopping to get our hands stamped on the way out (Redwood). I stopped for a second to take a picture of the hidden Mickey tile that we had seen on Saturday.

As we crossed the esplanade to go to DL, we noticed that they had set up one of the large Mickey Mouse statues that had been specially decorated by various celebrities for Mickey’s 75th InspEARations anniversary. We went over to check it out and discovered that it was the statue that had been decorated by Annette Funicello. Mickey was painted as a purple angel complete with wings and a halo. If you read the official press release for the statues (yes, we dedicated trip report writers have to do these things to bring you, our beloved reader, the most accurate and up-to-date information possible--never mind that we need the information to set up a joke that we want to use), it states that Annette always considered Mickey “heaven sent” in terms of what he did for her career, so she designed her “Always My Angel, Mickey” statue to reflect that sentiment. Before we knew this information however, one theory as to why the statue was decorated as an angel was that perhaps it was a tribute to a child of hers that had died (which is a nice thought but the evil person who was setting forth this theory speculated that Annette had breastfed the child and it had exploded!).

Anyway, the point of that whole section, aside from getting in a cheap joke, is that we went over and looked at the statue and took some pictures of ourselves with it. As we were taking pictures, I inadvertently discovered that, if you stand to the right of the Mickey statue, his hand seems to rest rather impudently on your bottom (if you’re my height anyway). And Disney thought they had trouble with Tigger molesting the guests.

After filing our sexual harassment suits with Guest Relations (just kidding!), we made our way into DL. For the first time this trip, there was no band playing as you entered the park. The train was going by overhead however and we waved at the conductor (who loudly tooted the horn in reply) as we passed through the tunnel and onto Main Street.

Our plan of action was to go to Adventureland and get Fast Passes for Indiana Jones and then to ride it in the stand-by line while we waited for our Fast Pass time to open up. We all got our Fast Passes but were dismayed to find out that the ride was down this morning.

Vowing to check back later, we decided to go and ride BTMRR. I sent everyone on ahead and ran to the Haunted Mansion to get Fast Passes for everyone there (I can’t stand not to be holding all available Fast Passes possible). So everyone else didn’t have to wait on me, I literally jogged over to New Orleans Square and the HM and then back through Frontierland to BTMRR. The CM working at the churro stand outside of the HM was laughing at me as I went by his the second time.

Michael and Lemuel were already on BTMRR by the time that I got there. Wes, Paula and I rode on the next train right after them. While they waited for us to finish our ride, Michael got an order of french fries.

We headed next to Pirates of the Caribbean, stopping by first to make sure Indy hadn’t started working yet and checking on the ride again after we got off. It was now just about time for our Haunted Mansion Fast Passes. Before we rode, however, Lemuel, Michael and I decided to get Fast Passes for Splash Mountain so we could ride that next. Wes and Paula didn’t want to risk getting wet so they declined and waited by the entrance to the HM for us.

On the way to Splash Mountain, Michael decided that he would rather ride it using the stand-by line while we rode HM, and then ride it again with us using our Fast Passes. Lemuel and I put Michael in the queue with instructions to meet us at the entrance to the HM when he was through and then continued on and picked up our Fast Passes.

Back at the Haunted Mansion, the CM at the Fast Pass entrance gave me a hard time about the return time on our Fast Passes there. He said that we had to wait until after 10:40 before we could use the Fast Passes. When I opened my mouth to protest that it *was* after 10:40, I realized that he was teasing me and we went on in.

After the ride, we met up with a slightly damp Michael. Apparently riding Splash Mountain works up your appetite for a churro, so we got Michael a churro and then he, Lemuel and I went to use our Splash Mountain Fast Passes. Paula and Wes decided to head towards Tomorrowland where we’d meet up with them after our ride.

The Fast Passes worked out great on this ride as we breezed past a 40 minute stand-by line and were quickly in our log. I think Splash Mountain is another ride that’s done a bit better at WDW than at DL. The ride at DL seems shorter and the story line is less clear. Also, I prefer the side-by-side seating in the logs that they have at WDW over the in-line format at DL. Nevertheless, the ride was very enjoyable and none of us got particularly wet except from where we sat on the already damp seats.

We called Wes and Paula after we exited from the ride and met up with them in front of Star Tours. While they were waiting on us, they had a Star Wars picture made where you have your head inserted on the bodies of characters from Star Wars. The end results were hysterical. Paula was Princess (of course) Leia and Wes was Han Solo.

We took a minute to look through the pin shop and I asked about buying another one of the AP pins that I had misplaced (nope, I didn’t find it when I packed my stuff up), but they had sold out of them.

Since we were so close, we all made a quick trip past the moon of Endor on Star Tours (Darn it! We missed it again. Does that droid *ever* get you there?) before walking back to Frontierland to check out the turkey legs for Wes. He said it was good, but not really something that he’d buy again. We all pinched a bite and, while it does have a nice, smoky taste, it’s rather Neanderthal to eat, so I don’t really see me acquiring an addiction to them any time soon.

While Wes ate his turkey leg, Lemuel and Michael took advantage of our close proximity to the shooting gallery and had a round of target practice. Michael said he only hit one target—he’s apparently a lot better at aiming laser guns than rifles, since he usually always beats me at Buzz Lightyear in WDW.

It was about 12:45 by now and we knew we needed to get some lunch before leaving to go to the airport. We decided on the French Market over in New Orleans square and headed there next. While we were waiting in line, we got to see one of the gingerbread houses that we had learned about on our Holiday Time Tour. It was a replica of Jack Skellington’s house and was a marvel to look at with steep eaves and rickety turrets that defied gravity and the delicate nature of gingerbread. Annual passholders got a free Nightmare Before Christmas patch with a $25 purchase, so we all ordered together in order to get ours.

They had several Nightmare-themed dishes there as well including Zero’s Bowl of Bones (bar-b-qued ribs and chicken legs served in a dog bowl) and Sally’s Eye of Newt (a pasta dish) and four or five really cute desserts. Michael thought the bowl of bones sounded good, so he and Lemuel decided to share that (with me pointing out to Lemuel that I bet he didn’t get much of the food). Since Wes had just finished off a turkey leg, he and Paula decided to share the French Dip sandwich, and I had a garden salad with boiled shrimp ($44.08 with 4 beverages). Lisa called Lemuel while we were waiting in line to see where we were. Apparently the non-commando group was a bit more concerned with the time than we were. We assured them that we would, indeed be back at the hotel by 1:30 or so.

The food was all good and the Bowl of Bones was really cute (and you got to keep the Zero dog bowl that it was served in). As predicted, Lemuel got to eat the salad that came with their meal, but not many of the “bones.”

Sadly, once we were finished eating, it was time to book it out of the park. Ironically, as we hurried through Adventureland, we noticed that Indiana Jones was open now. Oh well, there will be other trips.

As fortune would have it, a train was passing overhead when we went under the tunnels leading out of Main Street. We again waved at the conductor and were rewarded by a wave and another toot of the horn. We all got our hands stamped as we went through the turnstiles. The stamp said “Ariel” (although Paula swears hers looked more like a hieroglyphic of Saturn) which was nice since, although I never completely trust a woman who doesn’t have a closet full of shoes, I am quite fond of her. We took one last look back at the parks and then headed through Downtown Disney back to the hotel.

We found the rest of our group waiting in front of the fireplace for us. And when I say “waiting” I mean “dead asleep with their heads thrown back in their chairs.” We got our luggage from Bell Services so we could put some last minute purchases up and so Wes could change shoes. Our limo driver was right on time and we were soon leaving the magic of Disney for the joyous experience that is LAX.

Mother was once again body-cavity searched because of her artificial knees, but she said that, where the agent in Lubbock was very nice about the process, this agent was a complete jerk. Apparently this security agent made quite the impression on Mom since later, at our gate, we saw a bird flying through the terminal. “I hope it doesn’t go up to security,” Mother said. “That agent will shoot it.”

I had forgotten about having put the fruit from the concierge lounge in Wes’ carry-on until we were going through the x-ray machines and I saw a large sign warning of the spread of the Oriental Fruit Fly. Oops. I didn’t feel too bad about it since I was sure that we’d eat the fruit or throw it out before we left on the plane, but I was rather relieved when Wes wasn’t singled out for a more in-depth security check.

As we were sitting at our gate, Paula looked around and said, “Just how much stolen, contraband food have you people brought into this airport?” We all started laughing as we noticed Wes with my fruit, Lemuel with three cans of coke that he had taken from the limousine, Mother with some Mickey macaroons that she had brought from the concierge lounge, and Lisa cometh with chips (This morning she had gone into DCA to buy a shirt that she had seen earlier for Michael and had stopped and bought a cheese on a stick from the Corn Dog Palace. As we all know, the cheese on a stick “cometh with chips.”).

Our trip home was uneventful and our flights were all on time. After we got home I did finally find the AP pin that I thought I had lost. I had brilliantly put it in my suitcase so as not to lose it and then apparently forgot that I had done so.

Bravo! Wonderful!
Thank you so much for sharing and I am glad you found your beloved pin :D
In hindsight, do you think concierge was worth the extra $$$ ? You are a gifted writer, thanks again :D

Lulubelle,

Thanks for your nice comments--I'm glad you enjoyed the report.

I think the concierge was worth it for us for this trip anyway. When my sister Paula and I go, we spend so much time in the parks that we probably wouldn't get our money's worth from it, but with quite a few people who aren't as commando-minded as we are this trip, it was very nice for them. I know my mom and dad used it a lot after they'd get back to the hotel in the afternoon or evening.

Also, since there were so many of us, it was nice to have a place where we could all go and sit together and talk without having to sit on beds and in the floor in one of our rooms. We used the lounge as an extension of the rooms and a nice meeting place.

We took advantage of the breakfast every morning and then the rest of the time it just depended on who was at the hotel at what time.

And yes, to answer an earlier question, they did have bottled water that you could take to the parks with you. All the soft drinks and water were out where you could get them all day long.

Thanks again,

I really enjoyed reading your reports--it was nice to find such reporting on DL, as these kind are usually found on WDW. We're going in Sept/Oct, and your reports will be very helpful. I agree--you are a gifted writer.

Loved your reports!! I am itching to go back!!! AHHHH! Hopefully we'll be able to the concierge levels in the future. Have you ever stayed at that level in the DH? If you have which do you prefer? :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter