The Future Of Disney

All right AV, statistical check time:
Why is there less to do in the Magic Kingdom today than there was ten years ago – despite more than doubling the ticket price?
While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I think your numbers are a little off.

In November of 1991, a one day pass to MK was $33, today it's $48. That's an average annual growth rate of 3.75%, not much over inflation during the same period.

It will be a sad day if Disney World is split up, Coronado Springs to Marriott, Dsney-MGM studios really go to MGM, Magic Kingdom to Six Flags, or whatever.

Part of the magic is that is all operated in a uniform high quality manner.

There were plans for adding two more theme parks, extending the monorail, etc. With those plans postponed and a few things cut back here and there, there is still a tremendous amount of things to do at Disney World.

And, with attendance down, renting POFQ to the Army as an extension of Shades of Green is a profitable move.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Extending the monorail is not to add to the magic. One bus with one driver typically carries at most 60 people and the labor cost goes higher stuck in Downtown Disney traffic.

If you don't feel the Magic because you can't get into the park early, you never really felt it in the first place.

While I stand-by this statement, I apologize for the abruptness of it. I really only meant that if the elimination of EE causes someone to not go to Disney, they must have been waffleing anyway.

Some have pointed out that this was just the straw that broke..., and I can understand that. However, EE is/was a perk for resort guests to help them deal with the crowds. Since the crowds are down, that offsets the smaller amount of park time. I will say that when crowds return to pre-recession levels, I would expect to see EE return. Personally, I don't use it and probably never will, but it appears the useage of it justifies it when crowds are large.

As for previous cuts, true, they began before 9/11. But to say that because a cut was made in March 9/11 had no impact if ludicrous. Airports were shutdown, and airline travel is still down. Tourism in general is down. Yes, it was dropping before 9/11. But the curve went from a gradual decline to a freefall in one day. You just can't say that this does not have an impact on a business.

Some are saying the cuts have gone on for years and its bad business, yet attendance continued to rise until the recession hit. Perhaps good and bad business have different defintions to some of us? Yes, there can come a point where the cuts do hurt attendance, but there is no evidence to support that happening prior to the recession.

The purchase of ABC was not a bad decsion, but the programming direction was. The Fox Family deal was just completed, and hasn't played itself out yet. If ABC does return to its family-oriented comedy roots, as they say they will, ABC Family fits in quite nicely. ESPN is doing quite well. The sports franchises have turned sour, and Disney is looking to get out. They just aren't going to give them away however, and will sell when the price is right. If baseball contracts as they plan to, Disney will be bought out.

Can't you understand that some people are pissed off?? You keep acting like we can't have a bad thought about Disney. Get the pixie dust out of your eyes! Disney's cutting TOO MUCH right now and people are going to take notice of it. You can cheerlead all you want but it ain't gonna change the fact that there are many people who are not going to blindly put up with this. I have been a Disney supporter for all of my life until now. I was RAISED at Disneyland. My parents took us once a month BEFORE annual passes! My dad was there opening day at Disneyland. I met Walt once when I was a kid. My entire family are Disneyland AP holders. I am in the DisneyClub. I take my family to WDW (from SoCal) every two years. Our walls are COVERED with Disney stuff. We spend thousands of dollars every year on Disney vacations and stuff. Hey, if I'M disgusted with the direction the company is taking right now, I think I'm entitled to my opinion, as are the others on this board.

Roy

Originally posted by roymccoy
Can't you understand that some people are pissed off?? You keep acting like we can't have a bad thought about Disney. Get the pixie dust out of your eyes! Disney's cutting TOO MUCH right now and people are going to take notice of it. You can cheerlead all you want but it ain't gonna change the fact that there are many people who are not going to blindly put up with this.

Roy,

Can you accept that that some will not accept your word as gospel. Some of us who have been there recently are intelligent enough to make our own decisions, and WILL.

I don't have any problem with different views than my own. I don't have ANY problem with people thinking Disney is great right now and they are pushing all of the right buttons. I just don't happen to agree. My problem is with people who jump down the throats of anyone who has a bad word for Disney. I try to point out the good things I see at Disney, and I see a lot of good. I just don't like the road that this company is taking right now. It is the same road that got them in a jam back in the 70's and we're about to go down it again. All I'm asking is to please let me, and others, have our opinions about certain aspects of Disney. They may not always agree with your opinions but that's what makes the world go round. No one is right or wrong, we're just different.

Roy

Roy, admittedly my first statement was too strong, and I apologized for it. However, if somebody is going to post that Disney is going to heck and a hand basket, and I disagree, I will say so. We are both expressing opinions and there's really nothing wrong with that.

In your case, you have said you will not be going back to either Disney site (FL or CA) until there is a rebound. You have told others not to go, and why, and in very strong language. That's fine. But if you are going to attack with such fervency, you can expect an equally passionate response.

I'm not saying I agree with every decision Disney makes, because I don't. But when I go to the theme parks, I don't feel the same disgust that you do. Perhaps its because I focus on what IS there, not what I think COULD be there. As a Disney guest and fan, I can think of lots of things I'd love to see Disney do. But looking back, the same would have been true 30 years ago, had I been old enough to realize it. When I look objectively at what Disney has added at both the FL and CA locations in the last 4 years, I see a lot to be positive about. If you hate DCA and AK, then that would explain why you are so unhappy. I happen to like both parks, and look forward to the continuing improvements being made, and that I expect to continue. Should those improvements/enhancements not happen, my opinion will probably change. But even then, as long as DL, MK, Epcot, and MGM remain the well run and magical parks I beleive them to be, I will not be cancelling my trips.

You saying that Disney is cutting too much is your opinion. The large negative impact it will have on attendance is also your opinion. While I'm not saying you are absolutely wrong, I will say that I think the moves Disney has made are very reasonable, given the current economic environment. I have no problem with somebody saying that the cuts have made the value of their stay decrease to a point where they will not go. That's an individual decision, and there is no right or wrong. All I can say is that I still value everything that Disney offers enough to continue visiting. And I will keep saying it in response to posts that say otherwise. Not to jump at anyone, but to offer another side to the story. Isn't that at least part of why these boards are here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter