The Fourth Time's the Charm! Nov 24 - Dec 1 2018 WDW Trip *Updated 4/28*

Happy Easter! I hope everyone's having a great day. It's time I wrapped up our final park day of this trip.

Friday, November 30, 2018 - Part 3: Late Afternoon/Evening at Hollywood Studios

After Riding ToT we walked over to check the wait time for the Olaf meet and greet. We had walked by there a couple of times earlier in the day. Both times it had a 15 minute wait posted, but the line stretching outside the building looked a lot longer than 15 minutes to me, so we moved on both times. This time the posted wait was higher, at 20 minutes, but the line was only half of what it had been earlier, so we got in line. We only waited like 10 minutes before meeting him.

I got a FP for another ride on Star Tours before our 5:50 ADR at Hollywood & Vine, but we had some time to kill. I wanted to watch Muppet Vision 3D, but Michelle didn't want to. She wanted to walk around TSL to look around, since her only time spent in the land had been for our 1:00 SDD FP. I had no interest in walking around TSL when I had already spent 2 hours there during EMM. So we split up and would meet back up in front of Star Tours at 5:30.

It was great seeing Muppet Vision 3D again. I hadn't seen it since our May 2013 trip. When we met back up and rode Star Tours with our FP. Michelle ended up being the Rebel spy. It was the first time that had happened for one of us out of our 6 rides on it during our trips.

We arrived for our 5:50 ADR for Minnie's Holiday Dine and it was by far the longest wait we had to be seated for any of our ADRs on this trip. I think we waited no more than 10 minutes for any of our other ADRs, but we waited outside for this one for about a half hour. Even if we had been seated right away this still would have turned out to be a disappointing dining experience for us. It was very crowded and took a long time for each individual character to make it over to our table. I didn't want to bug anyone one seated near us to ask if they would mind taking our picture each time a character came over, so Michelle and I had to take individual pictures of each other. The only picture we could have gotten together was the one with Santa Goofy before we left the restaurant, but by then Michelle didn't even feel like being in the photo. There was very little food at the buffet she could eat, so she wasn't in a very good mood by the time we were ready to leave.

This past trip has gotten me more interested in photography, but I have yet to start messing around with editing photos. All of the pics I've posted in this report are exactly as they turned out when I took them. I did end up cropping these pics of me with Mickey, Daisy, Minnie, and Donald though. There was just something really unappealing about these photos when there was a half eaten plate of food in front of me on our table.

When we exited the restaurant it was dark out, and Echo Lake looked really cool with all of the lights reflected on the surface of the water.

I noticed we were near Backlot Express and I remembered they had a Chocolate Chestnut Pinecone I wanted to try. I hadn't really eaten much at the buffet, so I felt I'd be able to handle it. I opened the door to walk in, and the restaurant only had one couple seated at a table. It also looked like they were beginning to close up behind the registers. I looked at the time and it was 8:00, which was the park close time. I hadn't even realized we had been inside Hollywood & Vine for almost 2 hours. I was disappointed I wouldn't get to order the Chocolate Chestnut Pinecone. I had read that it was really good, and I was planning to take it over to Baseline Tap House, and order a Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter to enjoy with it.

We had nearly a half hour before the start of Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! so we decided to walk down Sunset Blvd to check out Sunset Seasons Greetings, but when we got there there wasn't much going on. I didn't really feel like just standing around waiting for something to happen, so we then walked over to TSL to see what it looked like at night. It was pretty crowded, so we didn't walk too far into the land, but it did look really neat all lit up in the dark.

As we exited TSL we could hear something going on over the speakers, which happened to be the audio for Disney Movie Magic. We stopped where we were and began watching it. We didn't have a very good view, with palm trees in the way, so we ended up moving a little towards the center after a couple of minutes. Once the projection show was over we wanted to move back for a better view of the upcoming fireworks, but the area was packed. We gave up trying to find a spot and began making our way down Hollywood Blvd toward the exit. We stopped next to a lamp post about half way down, and watched the fireworks from there. As we watched the fireworks, hundreds and hundreds of guests passed us on their way to the exit.

As we arrived at the POFQ bus stop just before 9:00, the queue was completely full, and spilled out into a mass of people on the sidewalk. The POR queue next to it was completely empty. I heard people saying something about the boats not running. I'm not sure if they were talking about the boats to and from Hollywood Studios, or the boats that transport POFQ and POR guests to and from Disney Springs. Either way, I'm not sure why either situation would have an impact on the bus transportation from DHS to these resorts, yet here we were. Someone made the decision to have all of the guests from both resorts all pile into the same bus line, and the individual buses for those resorts would transport guests of both resorts. No one could understand why they didn't just keep separate buses for each resort and use both queues, and guests were getting frustrated with the situation as the area was completely overcrowded. Some guests trying to get by started walking in the parking lot right where the buses pull up. The security guy next to us told them they can't walk there and a guy yelled back at him about how there was no room to get by on the sidewalk. This was the first time I'd ever seen a guest yell at someone in frustration, and I thought there was going to be an altercation. The security guy just let them continue on their way, and I just wanted to get on a bus and get back to the resort. Thankfully multiple buses began to arrive for the Port Orleans resorts, and it didn't take long for us to get one one. It felt like a long ride back to POFQ, and I could have easily fallen asleep right in my bus seat if I'd chosen to let myself.

And so our time in the parks had come to an end. I'll be back next time with our departure morning and some final thoughts on our trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
Saturday, December 1, 2018: Departure

There isn't too much to say about this day. It was pretty uneventful, so I don't remember all that much about it. We were to catch the DME in front of POFQ at 10:00 AM. I think we got up at 7:00 to get ready. While we were gathering up our things in our room to pack up, Michelle said she wanted to return in the spring. We had been going to Disney World about every 3 years since 2010, and I was actually planning to talk to her about maybe going every 2 years, if not every year, once we had returned home. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to go again so soon after this trip though, so I just said we'd have to look into it when we get home.

While we were standing outside waiting for the DME, about 10 minutes before it was scheduled to arrived, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures in the POFQ lobby since we first arrived at night a week earlier. I went back inside to take a few quick pictures.

Our trip home was pretty much the same path we had used to get to DW, but obviously in reverse. We flew from Orlando to Boston, and then took a bus from Boston to Portland, ME, and my parents picked us up at the bus station. During all of that time I was mostly looking at the pictures I had taken, playing a couple of games on my phone, and trying to get some sleep. I believe we were back home around 6:00 or 6:30 that night.

This was definitely the best of the 4 DW trips we've taken so far. Seeing DW decorated for the holidays was amazing, but what really set this trip apart from the previous ones was doing the necessary research prior to going. Knowing what we wanted to do, and how to go about doing it, really made all of the difference. There were a few hiccups early in the trip, but we got past that and we were able to accomplish much more in the parks than we had on our previous trips.

During our trips we have always done park days Monday through Friday, and then left for home Saturday morning. Our favorite park is MK, and we always do 2 days there during our trips, but we've never gone there on our last park day. Earlier during this trip I pointed that out to Michelle and suggested that whenever we go again we should go to MK on Friday. So why am I bringing this up? Well,
I mentioned Michelle wanted to go back in the spring. I knew the Flower and Garden Festival would be going on at Epcot then. We attended it in May 2010, and also late May 2013, when some of the topiaries weren't looking so great. I did like the idea of seeing it again after so many years, so one morning at work, during our first week back home, I decided to check the dates to see when F&G would begin and end. I saw it started the beginning March and ended the beginning of June. I definitely didn't want to go closer to June, and risk seeing deteriorated topiaries. I also didn't want to go in March when we had just been to DW in November. Then it dawned on me that my birthday would be during F&G. So, out of curiosity, I decided that see what day May 10 would fall on this year, and it just happened to be on a Friday. It was perfect. Michelle wanted to go in the spring, and we talked about doing MK as our last park day whenever we went again. We'd be closing out the trip with a bang at our favorite park on my birthday. I immediately texted her and told her what I felt would be the perfect week for us to go back, and she agreed!

So that's one of the reasons this trip report took so long to finish. Work has been pretty crazy the last couple of months, and I've been spending time on week nights planning out the next trip, so it got to the point where I was only working on this report on weekends. I regret that I waited a couple of months before I even started creating this trip report, but I'm going to be sure not to wait so long on the next one. Thank you for reading, and I will leave you with some parting shots of the pins I picked up in November. I'm looking forward to adding a few more to the collection next week. :earsboy:

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter