The Drink Package Project

starvenger

DIS Veteran
So with my being 7 or so months out from my next cruise I've decided to do a small charting project on drink and internet pricing. This will not be perfect, as the website geo-restricts me to CAD. Yes, I could probably use a VPN to work around that, but I'd have to pay in CAD regardless, and it's helpful to see if the exchange has any further effect (good or bad) on pricing.

So starting with today, here's what I see:

Notes:
- Prices are per day
- If you're thinking that exchange rate looks crappy, well it is.
- Royal lists their exchange rate, so that's what I'm using for the calculations
- I calculated USD using CAD * (1/Exchange)
- Retail is the hypothetical cost of the package if there were no discount. So the formula is Price / (1 - discount)

Here's the calculation for Voom Surf+Stream

And here are the combo packages:

- I'm working on how best to show the comparisons between the combo packages and buying drink and voom packages separately. Once I come up with a good way to measure that I'll insert that into the graphics.

If I see the discounts change I'll revisit and add another line so we can compare.

I wish I had done more tracking when I was looking just to see if I could figure out a pattern. I check about everyday and the best deal I have gotten (and booked) for what I wanted was $57 ($65 with tip and tax). I booked the deluxe drink with zoom.

Which ship? Our bookings are in CAD too and I've noticed that prices really vary by ship (ship or length or both changes price?). For example, our 1 week on Anthem deluxe package is same as you list on yours, but our 6 night Adventure cruise is around $65 (was $62 last week).

When I checked the prices were the same (per day) for my Indy trip in Jan 2020 and Symphony in Aug 2020. With that said, I started this project to see how prices would be on Indy as I've no interest in paying a full 7 days for a drink package. Five days is still probably beyond my comfort level but it works better for the purposes of research.

It's so hard to decide just when to buy these packages! The one thing I didn't notice was if they discount the drink package when you board. We bought it in advance but I'm wondering if you're better off waiting.

It's so hard to decide just when to buy these packages! The one thing I didn't notice was if they discount the drink package when you board. We bought it in advance but I'm wondering if you're better off waiting.
I think the first day on board is never the best day to buy it. You end up paying the max amount, and you get about half a day to "get your money's worth", which when it comes to alcohol, can lead to some bad results. I've definitely seen some cruisers with Day 2 hangovers before.

I don't think they offer discounts for Day 2 and 3 BUT by simply waiting a day you end up saving $70 (or more) + 18%. Waiting a day shouldn't be too hard. I don't remember what newbies get but Gold C&A members should get at least a BOGO offer or single drink discounts and that might be enough to tide you over.

By Day 4, I don't think they offer the package anymore. Probably the drink card if they didn't get enough business with the packages, which seems to be common on Oasis class.

Anyway, by my math up there, 6 days is $421.14 + 18%. Package in advance for 7 days is $393.12 + 18%. So advance still wins.

If you know you are going to want it, just buy it. You can cancel and rebook if the price drops. Same goes for everything, such as excursions, dining, etc. Buy it so you have it, and if the price drops cancel and rebook at the new price. You can do that as many times as you want.

You won't see a discount on the ship. The best you might get is a drink card for the last 3 days. You'd get a card that has 10 drinks on it, or something like that.

I agree 100% that the best prices will likely be on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

We informally tracked the Premium Drink package for a maybe 3 months leading up to our cruise (end of June). Our cruise on the Adventure of the Seas varied from $49 to $52. We finally bit the bullet yesterday and settled on $49/per day plus 18%. I do not anticipate it going lower.

In the end, I literally anguished over the decision to purchase or not. Largely this is silliness on my part but I could not help it 😈. I am sure we will land within a a couple hundred dollars of the package cost either way so what the heck am I doing to myself.

My advice, don't overthink the purchase.

So last week there was no change. This week there was a BOGO 50% offer, which gave an effective discount of 25% versus the 20% in the previous weeks. There was also a slightly more favourable exchange rate - 1.34 as opposed to 1.35. Game changer right there.

So the Deluxe package pricing looks like so:

There was also a 30% discount on the Refreshment package, so it would be a good time to jump on that if one were going non-alcoholic:

Interesting to note that the CAD price did not change, but the new exchange rate ups the retail amount by a whopping 9 cents.

Deluxe + Voom gets an additional 5% discount

I haven't looked at Voom itself, so I'll see if there are any changes there.

Because of the BOGO, it's probably a good time to buy if two people are getting the package. If it's just one person, the previous 20% discount might be better.

Yes, it was all the rage on the RCL FB groups. Someone stated they called and that this was a glitch, and that RCL would be refunding the money and giving compensation. Someone else stated they called and this was a 4th of July sale for specific ships. Either way, I did not see my price budge. I am also not sure what is accurate information and what is rumor, but if you were able to book it, good for you! I hope they honor it--what a steal.

And now a poster said they received a message saying Royal would not honor the rate. Did you receive that message, bbel? Seems like poor customer service not to honor something that was their error.

And now a poster said they received a message saying Royal would not honor the rate. Did you receive that message, bbel? Seems like poor customer service not to honor something that was their error.

Super bad customer service. They are stating on their twitter they will not be honoring the price. Meantime, they still have it available on their site for a great number of sailings.

I can believe that. Customer service has the information, but they've yet to get one of the crack web team to fix it. Are they in Canada or something?

Oh geez, seeing this now, after I booked that amazing deal... guess we'll see if they honor it! We're sailing on the Harmony in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter