The Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane

That sounds like so much fun! We lost our dog some time back and the hubby still isn’t ready for another one. 💔 We have our Kitty who was raised with our Kupa so she thinks she’s a dog. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter but it broke my heart to see them all there and not be able to take them home. Doggie Daycare sounds super fun though.
Oh you and I sound similar on the clothing front. I can’t wear anything with buttons smaller than a large to extra large but the bottom wants a small. I lost some 30 pounds a few years ago but the girls stayed the same size. I decided not to argue with them and let them do what they want LOL.
Good luck on the diet. 😊
Oh my gosh, and when I gain weight, that’s the first place it goes! I’d LOVE to have a reduction at some point!
I don’t think I could do a shelter. My daughter works at a vet and has hard days with euthanasia cases.

@Poohbear538 and @anniebean , Ladies, even though this has been a two way conversation I'm totally enjoying the camaraderie. :goodvibes

@Poohbear538 , :welcome: to the DIS and our small corner of the world!

I'm not a fan of strapless bras either. Some have altered the straps on halter dresses so they could wear regular bras.

@Poohbear538 and @anniebean , Ladies, even though this has been a two way conversation I'm totally enjoying the camaraderie. :goodvibes

@Poohbear538 , :welcome: to the DIS and our small corner of the world!

I'm not a fan of strapless bras either. Some have altered the straps on halter dresses so they could wear regular bras.
Hi FoxC63. Thank you for the welcome. Please join in as it is nice to have happy conversations 😊 I am actually going to do that to a Loki dress I bought. I’ve been busy making masks so its been lower on my list of sewing projects.

Oh my gosh, and when I gain weight, that’s the first place it goes! I’d LOVE to have a reduction at some point!
I don’t think I could do a shelter. My daughter works at a vet and has hard days with euthanasia cases.
Same here!! I love when my friends talk to me about how ‘lucky’ I am. It’s definitely all about perspective.

Oh I couldn’t do a shelter now, it seems the older I get the more my heart breaks at sad things.

Hi FoxC63. Thank you for the welcome. Please join in as it is nice to have happy conversations 😊 I am actually going to do that to a Loki dress I bought. I’ve been busy making masks so its been lower on my list of sewing projects.

Woo Hoo! Another seamstress buddy! Those masks, right!?! It was like having a full time job, easily spending 12-16hrs a day to sew them for the hospitals. The company my hubby works for paid for everything so that was very kind.

I fell in love with this: floral print and bought a few yards to make a new summer dress. Still haven't decided on the pattern.
I'm sure I'll have enough left over to make a few masks. I also have a cute straw hat though it needs a proper cleaning, reshape and maybe an update ~ had the poor thing for years!

Woo Hoo! Another seamstress buddy! Those masks, right!?! It was like having a full time job, easily spending 12-16hrs a day to sew them for the hospitals. The company my hubby works for paid for everything so that was very kind.

I fell in love with this: and bought a few yards to make a new summer dress. Still haven't decided on the pattern.

I'm sure I'll have enough left over to make a few masks. I also have a cute straw hat though it needs a proper cleaning, reshape and maybe an update ~ had the poor thing for years!
Oh I know. I made mine for a nursing home I volunteered at when I was a little girl oh so many years ago. That‘a awesome your hubby’s work paid for the supplies. I am still making them as it seems that we might have to deal with this for a little longer anyway.
That print is awesome!! And definitely a summer print.
I haven’t been sewing as much as I wanted. I have this circle of I don’t want to waste money and if I mess up, that’s what will happen but if I don’t see, I won’t get better. 🥺 My husband is very encouraging so practice it is. LOL.
I found this biohazard print and made us a couple of masks, I would attach a picture but I can’t seem to get one to post. Might be because I’m a newbie.
How long have you been sewing? I’ve only been at it for a few years. I got a Bernina 350 that’s fun to work on.

Oh I know. I made mine for a nursing home I volunteered at when I was a little girl oh so many years ago. That‘a awesome your hubby’s work paid for the supplies. I am still making them as it seems that we might have to deal with this for a little longer anyway.
That print is awesome!! And definitely a summer print.
I haven’t been sewing as much as I wanted. I have this circle of I don’t want to waste money and if I mess up, that’s what will happen but if I don’t see, I won’t get better. 🥺 My husband is very encouraging so practice it is. LOL.
I found this biohazard print and made us a couple of masks, I would attach a picture but I can’t seem to get one to post. Might be because I’m a newbie.
How long have you been sewing? I’ve only been at it for a few years. I got a Bernina 350 that’s fun to work on.

I've been sewing for years. My mom who studied in Japan taught me. She was a Master Seamstress, didn't use patterns, just chalk and a few rulers. A couple of things might help you:
  • Sew a dress form based on your measurements (be honest too). Link
    • There are a lot of reviews and youtube videos from start to finish. I bought the arm pattern as well and made two of them. It's a great project for beginners. I mainly use it to help with hemming lines and sleeve length and design. Those who are advanced use it for draping.
  • Instead of using your main fabric, buy muslin. It's much cheaper by the yard and when Joann has an incredible coupon buy in bulk! I still make muslin fittings for commercial patterns and my own patterns. I'm only 5'2" and shrinking with age! LOL
  • Start with smaller projects like a table runner, pillow case and PJ bottoms but NEVER give up! It takes practice. Speaking of which, practice hand sewing techniques.
  • Another site I really enjoy and highly recommend is Professor Pincushion just take a look see. I haven't signed up but I do enjoy watching her videos.

@FoxC63 once I finally start one of my dress patterns, I may be asking for advice, if you don’t mind. I have a few patterns, muslin, the fabric, and my sewing mannequin (I named her Dolly). It won’t be any time soon, unfortunately. I was hoping to have a dress and matching mask done by September trip, but I don’t think I’ll have enough time to commit to making it right.

My mask production has went down some as I’ve started back to work. I still have several I need to make for, and plenty of fabric.A9FE31AF-EA33-4E90-8711-AEF63D2BDD45.jpeg2A1417F0-C08F-4092-B81F-6C656F43E001.jpeg27F7360A-47A0-4744-8482-E8A2483B94F1.jpeg72AA095A-1D6D-4C37-A0A5-37D1CD2E598E.jpeg
These are the fabrics I’ve been working with recently.
I’ve been using 100% cotton sateen sheets as my backing.

@FoxC63 once I finally start one of my dress patterns, I may be asking for advice, if you don’t mind. I have a few patterns, muslin, the fabric, and my sewing mannequin (I named her Dolly). It won’t be any time soon, unfortunately. I was hoping to have a dress and matching mask done by September trip, but I don’t think I’ll have enough time to commit to making it right.

My mask production has went down some as I’ve started back to work. I still have several I need to make for, and plenty of fabric.

I'm here anytime and I hope I can help! I'm taking a breather from mask making.
The two hospitals I've been working with are good to go and I made several for friends who wanted them. USPS shipping was a nightmare! Here in Michigan, most items get sent to the Detroit Distribution Center, which is a black hole. Once there you're lucky if they get to it and it's been that way since 2008! Honestly. FEDEX issues are climbing up and I haven't heard anything negative about UPS.

I'm hoping we hear when school will start. Typically after Labor day but there is talk of it starting in August. Do you have kids? If I don't like how they plan on handling the virus I have no objection of homeschooling our 16yr old son.

The two hospitals I've been working with are good to go and I made several for friends who wanted them. USPS shipping was a nightmare! Here in Michigan, most items get sent to the Detroit Distribution Center, which is a black hole. Once there you're lucky if they get to it and it's been that way since 2008! Honestly. FEDEX issues are climbing up and I haven't heard anything negative about UPS.

I'm hoping we hear when school will start. Typically after Labor day but there is talk of it starting in August. Do you have kids? If I don't like how they plan on handling the virus I have no objection of homeschooling our 16yr old son.
Thank you!! I’m sure I’ll be lost once I start on a dress.
Thankfully, I live in a pretty small town so we’ve had no problems sending masks thru USPS.
My kids are grown and out of the house. I couldn’t imagine having a school-aged kid right now! I’d be worried sick.
My sister-in-law is an elementary school teacher, and my niece and nephew are still in school. I’ve made them several masks, and working on a few more when schools do open back up. As of right now, it looks like their school system will open back up normally in August, but I don’t think final decision has been made. I hope and pray the school system takes measures to keep everyone safe.

Our school district is thinking about buying masks for kids :scared: How cost prohibitive, all the money could be used better elsewhere considering how much was taken away this year. I don't know how they plan on pulling that off. I totally support protecting teachers and staff but wowza!!!!

I've been sewing for years. My mom who studied in Japan taught me. She was a Master Seamstress, didn't use patterns, just chalk and a few rulers. A couple of things might help you:
  • Sew a dress form based on your measurements (be honest too). Link
    • There are a lot of reviews and youtube videos from start to finish. I bought the arm pattern as well and made two of them. It's a great project for beginners. I mainly use it to help with hemming lines and sleeve length and design. Those who are advanced use it for draping.
  • Instead of using your main fabric, buy muslin. It's much cheaper by the yard and when Joann has an incredible coupon buy in bulk! I still make muslin fittings for commercial patterns and my own patterns. I'm only 5'2" and shrinking with age! LOL
  • Start with smaller projects like a table runner, pillow case and PJ bottoms but NEVER give up! It takes practice. Speaking of which, practice hand sewing techniques.
  • Another site I really enjoy and highly recommend is Professor Pincushion just take a look see. I haven't signed up but I do enjoy watching her videos.
i could not imagine sewing without a pattern. I am very honest with my measurements. I tried making a pair of pants and of course picked the most difficult pair i could find ans couldn’t believe how different racked clothes sizing is compared to sewing. I can do simple things like tunic type shirts and I also have a ufo of a quilted blanket I have stored away. Thank you so much for the tips. I will take a look at the links you posted

My mask production has went down some as I’ve started back to work. I still have several I need to make for, and plenty of fabric.View attachment 499489View attachment 499490View attachment 499491View attachment 499492
@anniebean I LOVE those fabrics... I thought I was the only one who named their mannequin. I named mine Manny Quinn (I love Harley Quinn so I played off her name)

@FoxC63 , you’re in Detroit? That’s where I was born and most of my family lives. I hope everything smooths out soon.

Our school district is thinking about buying masks for kids :scared: How cost prohibitive, all the money could be used better elsewhere considering how much was taken away this year. I don't know how they plan on pulling that off. I totally support protecting teachers and staff but wowza!!!!
Honestly, if I still had younger kids, I’d probably homeschool this upcoming school year. There’s just too many variables with the virus. However, I don’t dare mention that to my school teaching sister-in-law.....but I do think she’d appreciate a smaller class....and she is quite nervous about going back.

@FoxC63 , you’re in Detroit? That’s where I was born and most of my family lives. I hope everything smooths out soon.

We're actually in Macomb but our packages get sent to Detroit.

Professor Pincushion is really great, even if you're working on a different pattern she gives such detailed information that can be used on your projects.

She worked on Simplicity 2172 from start to finish, a very nice sew along at any level.

My master bedroom has a sitting room like this...

and my dress form (not named) is stationed at the corner. When my hubby or son walk into the room at night, she always freaks them out! :rotfl:
She's fully dressed, a project not completed but wait until they get a peak of her with this added on
499512 :lmao::rotfl:

My master bedroom has a sitting room like this...
View attachment 499505

and my dress form (not named) is stationed at the corner. When my hubby or son walk into the room at night, she always freaks them out! :rotfl:
She's fully dressed, a project not completed but wait until they get a peak of her with this added on
View attachment 499512 :lmao::rotfl:
I love it!! We‘re waiting for my desk to come in for my office so I moved Manny into the guest room, ie, Kitty’s room, and I freak myself out every time I use the guest bathroom LOL! I also learned that I can only post so many conversations at once on here. @FoxC63 and @anniebean thank you for chatting with me. 🥰 I haven’t had anyone to chat with other than my husband and while he is an amazing man, he just doesn’t get sewing and dresses not fitting right and strapless bras

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!