The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

Hi Kimmar! We got back a few weeks ago from our first DL trip. If you can swing it, I'd stay at the DL hotel. It was AMAZING! Loved everything about it and that was even with the pool slide and one pool closed. So easy to get to security at DTD and off to the parks. If you want me to answer any questions, just PM me.
Ty
Except for our first disastrous trip 11 years ago (when we stayed at GCH, and it was so gorgeous that DH and I almost didn't mind taking turns staying at the hotel with the sick DD12), we've always stayed offsite because I just couldn't justify spending that much. But this time we're splurging, because the whole family is going, even DD23 (aka "Amazing Barf Girl") and her DH of 2 years, who's a massive Star Wars fan. Having made the decision and winced at the price, I'm SO psyched now. Because my 3 DD's will definitely appreciate the atmosphere, pool time in their cute swimsuits, the available dining and shopping in DTD, and the proximity to security and the parks. This thread is my sanity lifeline right now. So looking forward to September! :jumping1:

Hi Kimmar! We got back a few weeks ago from our first DL trip. If you can swing it, I'd stay at the DL hotel. It was AMAZING! Loved everything about it and that was even with the pool slide and one pool closed. So easy to get to security at DTD and off to the parks. If you want me to answer any questions, just PM me.
Ty
.....:scratchin.....hmmmm, TyRy from the "WL" days? And, for the record, I did switch....boy, am I excited!

Quick question for anyone who drives: How bad is the self parking lot from a distance standpoint? I'm trying to decide if Valet parking is worth the extra money. We will probably not use the car much at all over our few days at DLH. Thanks.

Quick question for anyone who drives: How bad is the self parking lot from a distance standpoint? I'm trying to decide if Valet parking is worth the extra money. We will probably not use the car much at all over our few days at DLH. Thanks.
It's about 1000 feet from the self parking lot to the lobby. It's easy to walk.

You can still pull up to the valet area, drop off your luggage, and then pull around to the self park area and walk back to the lobby.

We self parked, it wasn't a hassle at all. If you plan on stashing you car for a few days while at the park, I'd say pass on the valet parking.

Oh yeah, self parking is super easy and pretty close. If you're curious as to how it's all laid out, I'd suggest doing street view via Google as you can zip all around the drop off and parking areas at DLH (I did this before our trip because I do this every time I go somewhere new, whenever possible).

.....:scratchin.....hmmmm, TyRy from the "WL" days? And, for the record, I did switch....boy, am I excited!
Yep - one in the same!!! I really really hope you like DL. MY DH had always been the one who loved DL and I thought it was going to be a one and done for me (have two WDW trips this year, WL and AKV) and I can honestly say all I want to do is get back to Disneyland and the DL Hotel. Absolutely fell in love with everything about the Disneyland resort.

Yep - one in the same!!! I really really hope you like DL. MY DH had always been the one who loved DL and I thought it was going to be a one and done for me (have two WDW trips this year, WL and AKV) and I can honestly say all I want to do is get back to Disneyland and the DL Hotel. Absolutely fell in love with everything about the Disneyland resort.
This makes me so excited!

Self parking was fairly close to check in...much better than at Grand Californian. We paid the extra for valet for our two nights - dumb on our part. We never used the car during that time so we paid extra for nothing.

Self parking was fairly close to check in...much better than at Grand Californian. We paid the extra for valet for our two nights - dumb on our part. We never used the car during that time so we paid extra for nothing.
....which is why I didn't want to rent a car from LAX....and don't forget the parking fee...

Hello everyone,

Ok few questions to the most kind and helpful people on this thread.

1. Quick google search shows me the pool is set to be done in May is this still correct?
2. Trying to decide between this hotel and Grand Californian. How bad is the walk to the front gates? I have heard that the DTD security is much faster then the other side is this still true?
3. Is the monorail convenient to take when we are done for the night? The hardest part we had last year was my daughters tires feet walking back to our offsite hotel.
4. Any other fun tips?

1. (I don't know, hopefully someone else does)

2. The walk is not "bad" at all in my opinion, but everyone is different. It's a short 1-2 minute walk from any of the DLH Towers to the DLH Security check. Then literally 1 minute walk from security check to the monorail, or 5-10 minute walk from security check to the park entrance. Usually the DLH Security is not too crowded. It can back up at times, but the same can be said for any of the security checkpoints.

3. THe monorail is very convenient both to and from the parks. However, if you are doing EMH or trying to rope drop, taking the monorail is not the best option into the park for that. It is a great option to return to the DLH at the end of the day if you are in Disneyland. Again, probably no more than a 5 minute walk from the monorail to DLH. The ride itself, including loading time, is around 7 minutes.

4. There are movie screenings in the evening at DLH for guests. All the towers have displays on the main level with models, concept art, and memorabilia from the parks that can be fun to check out if you are just looking to stroll around the grounds one evening... perhaps on the way to Trader Sam's. There's a nice fireplace seating area outside Trader Sam's too. Goofy's Kitchen and Steakhouse 55 are both in the DLH. You can grab snacks or food at the Coffee Shop or at Tangaroa Terrace (which also has mobile ordering).

I like the DLH a lot and would recommend it. Of course, I also like GCH a lot too, so you can't really go wrong either way.

Hello everyone,

Ok few questions to the most kind and helpful people on this thread.

1. Quick google search shows me the pool is set to be done in May is this still correct?
2. Trying to decide between this hotel and Grand Californian. How bad is the walk to the front gates? I have heard that the DTD security is much faster then the other side is this still true?
3. Is the monorail convenient to take when we are done for the night? The hardest part we had last year was my daughters tires feet walking back to our offsite hotel.
4. Any other fun tips?

2. For me, I would take the Grand over the DLH. The walk at night is nice. Plus, I love that hotel.
3. When the monorail is running, it is nice, but the wait is long at night.
4. Grand Californian is nice when the last ride of the day is Grizzly Rapids. You can ride it over and over until you are soaking wet knowing the entrance to your hotel is steps away from the exit of the ride! Whitewater Snacks is a nice place to get something to take a break when you have spent the morning in the parks and you are waiting for your room to be cleaned. There is something for everyone there. I love relaxing on the balcony of my room during my stay.

4. Grand Californian is nice when the last ride of the day is Grizzly Rapids. You can ride it over and over until you are soaking wet knowing the entrance to your hotel is steps away from the exit of the ride!

Hah! I didn't even think about that as being a perk of being at the Grand Californian. You are so right!

Heading back to the Disneyland Hotel this June for the first time since I was around 14! I’m assuming much has changed in 20 years!

We used to go every two or three years when I was a kid and switched from the Disneyland hotel to the grand Californian when it opened. Then we made the transition to going to Disney World instead - so it’s been a while! I’m super excited to see what it’s like now!

My wallet is less excited for 5 days at Disneyland it was only $500 shy of December 2018 trip to Disney world for 12 days at port orleans FQ!

1. (I don't know, hopefully someone else does)

2. The walk is not "bad" at all in my opinion, but everyone is different. It's a short 1-2 minute walk from any of the DLH Towers to the DLH Security check. Then literally 1 minute walk from security check to the monorail, or 5-10 minute walk from security check to the park entrance. Usually the DLH Security is not too crowded. It can back up at times, but the same can be said for any of the security checkpoints.

3. THe monorail is very convenient both to and from the parks. However, if you are doing EMH or trying to rope drop, taking the monorail is not the best option into the park for that. It is a great option to return to the DLH at the end of the day if you are in Disneyland. Again, probably no more than a 5 minute walk from the monorail to DLH. The ride itself, including loading time, is around 7 minutes.

4. There are movie screenings in the evening at DLH for guests. All the towers have displays on the main level with models, concept art, and memorabilia from the parks that can be fun to check out if you are just looking to stroll around the grounds one evening... perhaps on the way to Trader Sam's. There's a nice fireplace seating area outside Trader Sam's too. Goofy's Kitchen and Steakhouse 55 are both in the DLH. You can grab snacks or food at the Coffee Shop or at Tangaroa Terrace (which also has mobile ordering).

I like the DLH a lot and would recommend it. Of course, I also like GCH a lot too, so you can't really go wrong either way.
Where are the movie screenings? We didn't know about this...

We are heading to the Disneyland Hotel for a week in September. Arriving late on a Saturday and planning to go to the parks Mon-Fri and going home on the following Saturday. It will be myself, my husband, his mother (who hasn't been to Disneyland since the early 1980's and our two teen girls (just turned 15 and almost 14). Is Goofy's Kitchen a fun place for teens? Neither were interested in the Princess Breakfast at Napa Rose. I'm thinking either the Saturday we arrive or Sunday (our non-park day) for dinner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter