The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

IMG_6187.JPG

We checked in today to the DLH. We had a Downtown Disney view booked, and when we booked, the club level was over $200 more per night, and we knew there was no guarantee you would be in Adventure Tower. But since we were in Adventure anyway, at check-in we asked if there were any club upgrades available (thanks to the people here who said to ask!), and we were able to get it for WAY WAY cheaper!!! Very happy. Room isn't ready yet, but that's okay!

View attachment 228800

We checked in today to the DLH. We had a Downtown Disney view booked, and when we booked, the club level was over $200 more per night, and we knew there was no guarantee you would be in Adventure Tower. But since we were in Adventure anyway, at check-in we asked if there were any club upgrades available (thanks to the people here who said to ask!), and we were able to get it for WAY WAY cheaper!!! Very happy. Room isn't ready yet, but that's okay!

I'd love to know at the end of your trip if you think the extra cost was worth it and how you used the amenities!

Have a great time!!!

I'd love to know at the end of your trip if you think the extra cost was worth it and how you used the amenities!

Have a great time!!!

It's been a couple of weeks (post-trip blues), but we really liked the Disneyland Hotel. We were able to upgrade from a king bed DTD view in Adventure Tower to the same view but added club level for $59 (!!!) per night for the two of us at Check-in. I don't know if the number of people influenced the price. The one thing to mention was the room was TINY. If you look at the floor plan on the door, you can see some of the rooms have space taken away for CM elevators. That was the case with us. We would NOT ask for a king room again! For the two of us it was fine, but easily 1/3 of the room was lost, if not more. The bed was comfortable though.

We ended up using the lounge for breakfast every day except one, and the selection was great. Just the smoked salmon alone was probably worth a bunch of the cost back. ;) the lattes we had every morning saved us from Starbucks trips, and I had a second one every afternoon. We only had the evening apps twice, but they were very good. The desserts we had a bunch, and we really liked those, and it saved us from buying desserts at the restaurants every night. We're not big drinkers (just one big glass of Chardonnay one night), so we didn't save much money there, but you easily could. One table all had mimosas one morning that looked great. I had non alcoholic mimosas every morning. Well, okay, just OJ. ;) overall for the convenience it was definitely worth it for us. I would've done it again for that price without question. For the $200 per night pre-arrival cost, its much harder to say. If we had a few kids, then maybe!

Oh, we also refilled our water bottles with the filtered water spigot in the lounge a few times, which saved us from buying about half the bottles we would have.

Staff and grounds and the room cleanliness and everything were all great. No complaints at all. Check-in person (Holly) even got a guest relations email mention from us because she was sooo nice!

The burgers at the quick service place were really good. Goofy's was good for a character meal (not bad food, really fun character interactions), but Steakhouse 55 underwhelmed us compared to Napa Rose the night before.

Overall would definitely recommend. :thumbsup2

The one thing to mention was the room was TINY. If you look at the floor plan on the door, you can see some of the rooms have space taken away for CM elevators. That was the case with us. We would NOT ask for a king room again!
When we stayed at DLH last year we had a tiny room by an elevator too, but it wasn't a king bed, so I think it's just luck of the draw whether you request king or not. I remember it was a pain because we had a wheelchair with us, but we hadn't asked for an accessible room since the person was able to move around the room just fine without the chair. Based on pictures I had thought there would be space off to the side to stash the chair, but no - the beds literally extended wall-to-wall and the only place for the wheelchair was right in the walkway. It's our fault because we didn't request an accessible room, but still we were really disappointed after hearing that room size was supposedly pretty good at DLH.

We upgraded to club level on check in in order to get the downtown Disney view for the fireworks.
To be honest, if you have stayed club level at a ritz Carlton in Maui, the club level at the DLH is really not worth it, plus we were only there at breakfast and maybe for pm apps/snacks

For breakfast: same menu for the 3 days, bagels, yogurt, granola, fruit, croissants, lox, deviled eggs, cereal, OJ, special coffees, teas. Filtered water was available.

For snacks in the afternoon: prepackaged peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (surprisingly my favorite), granola bars, canned sodas and juice in fridge, fruit, 1 day chips and salsa

For hot apps: varied, but not that good, honestly. Drinks-- prosecco, wine, beer

Dessert at night: stopped by but not impressive, cookies, cake, etc.

Lots of people at breakfast were loading up on stuff to take into the park-- they even brought their own containers! One person took all the bananas and kept loading more and more into their stroller. Seemed like they were regulars.

FYI- there aren't any to go containers. They have paper plates you can take out and the concierges told us we could take the China and silverware to our rooms. The cups are small and flimsy so bring your own thermoses if you want to bring drinks to the park.

Yeah, it's like Disneyland Hotel -- much bigger rooms than GCH... unless you get a smaller one. :)

Are the rooms that make up the suites on the bigger side? We just stayed at DLH a week ago in a 1 bedroom suite, and it was very large compared to the suite we stayed at in GCH 3 years ago. We are going to stay in DLH 2 bedroom suite this fall, but I am going to be frustrated if one of the bedrooms is tiny? Does anyone know if the small rooms are used to make a suite?

We have decided to stay onsite for our September trip, most likely DLH. My question is: What is the quietest area of the hotel? I remember reading somewhere that you can sometimes hear music from DTD bars at the DLH. That type of noise can be a major issue for me when I'm trying to sleep. EDIT: I just found it in the thread, it's Adventure Tower that has a noise issue, I'll definitely make sure to NOT request it then!

Also, if we are looking to wait for discounts, is it better to wait to book when the discounts are available or should we book something now?

Last edited:
We have decided to stay onsite for our September trip, most likely DLH. My question is: What is the quietest area of the hotel? I remember reading somewhere that you can sometimes hear music from DTD bars at the DLH. That type of noise can be a major issue for me when I'm trying to sleep. EDIT: I just found it in the thread, it's Adventure Tower that has a noise issue, I'll definitely make sure to NOT request it then!

Also, if we are looking to wait for discounts, is it better to wait to book when the discounts are available or should we book something now?

If you book now, as long as your room category is still available so you can see discount pricing, once the discount comes out, you can call and they will apply the new pricing. As long as you book direct or through a Disney approved travel agent and not through Expedia or something like that!

And you're correct about adventure tower having the DTD noise issues! They stop it at 10, but if you go to sleep before then, it can be a problem.

Enjoy!

If you book now, as long as your room category is still available so you can see discount pricing, once the discount comes out, you can call and they will apply the new pricing. As long as you book direct or through a Disney approved travel agent and not through Expedia or something like that!

And you're correct about adventure tower having the DTD noise issues! They stop it at 10, but if you go to sleep before then, it can be a problem.

Enjoy!
Thank you very much!!! Even with the discount prices, I think DLH or onsite might be too much than we want to pay. I mean, we can afford it, but it just doesn't seem like enough of a value for the price. The rack rate for our stay is $431/night for a regular room without tax. Even with 20% off, it's still nearly $350/night without tax. $200/night more than a comparable offsite hotel just seems like a poor value proposition to me, considering I'll be getting 1 MM at DL anyway with my ticket and don't plan on doing much in DCA.

I'll still monitor the DL site for discounts, though, to see if the prices aren't as bad as I think they will be when discounts come out. And will DEFINITELY avoid Adventure Tower- that's too late for us considering we're coming from the East Coast! Frontier Tower sounds good to me. :)

Thank you very much!!! Even with the discount prices, I think DLH or onsite might be too much than we want to pay. I mean, we can afford it, but it just doesn't seem like enough of a value for the price. The rack rate for our stay is $431/night for a regular room without tax. Even with 20% off, it's still nearly $350/night without tax. $200/night more than a comparable offsite hotel just seems like a poor value proposition to me, considering I'll be getting 1 MM at DL anyway with my ticket and don't plan on doing much in DCA.

I'll still monitor the DL site for discounts, though, to see if the prices aren't as bad as I think they will be when discounts come out. And will DEFINITELY avoid Adventure Tower- that's too late for us considering we're coming from the East Coast!

Yeah we came from the east coast, too. Even knowing about it, we thought 10 would be fine. Until we wanted to crash at 8pm local time that first night because of the time difference!! We had been up since 4am ET for our flight. It was rough. Same with the last night for our early pickup to the airport. The rest of the week, being able to see the DLH fireworks from the room was great. (Trade-offs...)

Yeah we came from the east coast, too. Even knowing about it, we thought 10 would be fine. Until we wanted to crash at 8pm local time that first night because of the time difference!! We had been up since 4am ET for our flight. It was rough. Same with the last night for our early pickup to the airport. The rest of the week, being able to see the DLH fireworks from the room was great. (Trade-offs...)
We generally went to bed by 9PM EST at WDW on our last trip, so I can't see us lasting very late at all at DL! We'll also be up early because of our early flight, but we hope to at least get a catnap or two on the plane. :)

Heads up on the fireworks. we were just there and there are only fireworks on the weekends during the school year. If I had to make the choice again about staying on site versus paying much less for a room, I would choose staying across the street and paying much less. These old bones didn't like the walk from the Disneyland hotel through DTD.

Interesting about the club level upgrades - can you sometimes get them at a deal if you ask at check-in rather than at the time of booking? How much could I conceivably save?

I hope everyone has better luck at CL upgrades at check in than we did. We do CL sometimes when we are there, but only when we have 6 in a 2 bedroom suite, because then it is more economical (price per "room", not per person). This time is was just the 4 of us in a 1 bedroom suite. We did not ask for CL when booking since we didn't think we'd use it much. When we checked in, he offered to add CL at $250/night. Not interested at that rate, and that was basically the same rate it would have been if we had requested it at the time of reserving the room, so no "last minute" discount. I would have likely said yes if it was less than $100, but that wasn't even close. Hopefully others' experiences will be different!

Exactly the same thing happened to us. Didn't ask for it, she said " you are eligible for an upgrade to Concierge for" it was over $200 for the 4 of us that's all I remember. Haha , like we would pay that for cereal and muffins, and no fireworks during the week, please :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!