The Disney-fication of our Non-Disney Vacation...an October 2013 TR

Today was a day we had been excited about ever since we started seriously planning this trip! Today was going to be a first for our entire family. Today was made possible by a very CHEEKY Disfriend. So, let me preclude this update with the story...

I went MIA on the Disboards for about a month last year when Brian and I had to come to the very difficult conclusion that a Disney vacation just wasn't in the cards for us in 2013. We struggled terribly financially for the first half of the year, and knew we would never be able to catch up enough to afford our annual Disney vacation.

During my Disboards hiatus, I began chatting on FB with Cheekypoppins. She was the very first disfriend I broke the news to. Just a week later our family got magical mail from Canada. Among the many wonderful Disney treasures for the kids was a card for me...and it contained a number of Disney gift cards. I had never met her before in person. I still have never met her in person....BUT I cried hysterically for a couple of hours over the generosity that this perfect stranger displayed. While chatting she said so many things that soothed my broken heart during that time in our lives. From then on, she has always been my Miss Sunshine. She knows just how to bring Sunshine to my days...even when they are cloudy and rainy.

So this Day was made possible by the gift cards that Cheeky sent us in the mail MANY months before the trip. I have said it numerous times before and I will say it again... Disfriends are the BEST friends. Thank you Miss Sunshine!!!! :goodvibes

For our last bit of Disney-fication for a Non-Disney Vacation we headed here:

Our very first Disney water park!!!!! Mom and Dad had no interest in a water park, so they opted to stay and relax by the pool at the resort on this day.

Of course, since most of our time was spent IN the water at Blizzard Beach, there won't be an overabundance of pictures. This will only need one update. But rest assured....this was a fantastic day!

Of course, I had to get some pictures before even entering the park:

Then after entering the park, there are always opportunities for photo ops:

I really like that picture of the kids!

Right away, we rented a locker and put some stuff in it. We loaded up on sunscreen, even though the day was a bit overcast. We then headed off to the nearest CS stand to purchase a couple of the refill mugs. Then we found a couple of loungers to drop our towels on and hide our mugs of soda under. Our loungers were right next to the "kiddie" section of the park, so Gabe and Charity wanted to do that right away. Brian decided to take the first shift with them while Jillian and I headed up the mountain for the big slides.

I gave Brian the camera, and he did a great job of getting pictures of Gabe and Charity having some fun:

They both LOVED this thing and went across NUMEROUS times that day! then they headed over to the less "thrilling" slides:

Charity gave the zipline a try:

But, Gabe was not tall enough. :worried: Charity does not like heights, and was "iffy" about trying it, but she ended up liking it, doing it more than once.

We then went on several of the "family" slides. Those were a lot of fun. After that it was time for some lunch. Since I hadn't had any pictures of Jillian yet, I took this one while we waited for Brian to bring our food to us:

BB doesn't really have any "exciting" or different food options, just your typical amusement park fare. Here is what our family ended up with:

Brian got the salad, Charity got the pizza, and the rest of us got the chicken nuggets. We had eaten exotic food the day before at Epcot, so we were all very satisfied with our choices at Blizzard Beach. It was good food...how could it not be? It was DISNEY food!!!

While sitting at the table I decided to take a "selfie" of my girls and I:

For the rest of the afternoon, Brian and Jillian took their turn doing the "thrill" slides while I stayed with the little ones. Then we all decided to take a float around the whole park on the lazy river....that was perfect!!! :cloud9:

After finishing our park loop, we gathered our stuff, returned our locker key, and headed over for one last Disney experience....

It wasn't the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream, but it was fun and it was just the right size for our family. It was the PERFECT end to what turned out to be....

Our FAVORITE Disney-fication of the whole Vacation! Yep...we absolutely adored our Blizzard Beach day. The crowd levels were near to nothing that day, so it was not a hectic, crowded day. We took our time, did what we wanted, and just lived in the moment all day. This was the favorite day of the vacation for all five of us...BY FAR.

One last photo op as we exited the park:

So, again....THANK YOU CHEEKYPOPPINS!!!!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

How wonderful is THAT?!?! :grouphug:

I need more adjectives... i am running out: fascinating incredible marvelous wonderful
Come to mind!!!! I am SO SO Happy for you!!! what wonderful pictures! you are SO Precious!!!
keep up the updates!!!
excited for the PTR too!!!

What an awesome update!!!

We loved BB too! It was a fun park - although the day we were there is was quite crowded.

Loved all of the pictures of everyone! And loved that bucket full of icecream! Mmmmm...

We cannot wait to do full days at both water parks on our next trip.

What a lovely gift from a lovely friend! <3

D~

Awwwwww!!!! So awesome that Cheeky did that for you, what a wonderful friend!

I haven't been to a Disney water park since I was little and that was the old River Country. I'm just not really into water parks but it sure looks like you guys had a wonderful day!

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with having Disney chicken nuggets! ::yes:: :rotfl:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

How wonderful is THAT?!?! :grouphug:

I need more adjectives... i am running out: fascinating incredible marvelous wonderful
Come to mind!!!! I am SO SO Happy for you!!! what wonderful pictures! you are SO Precious!!!
keep up the updates!!!
excited for the PTR too!!!

I am so ready to start that PTR...won't be long now. I have MAYBE two more updates to this TR. I could probably finish it in one, but I may use one as sort of a recap... popcorn::

What an awesome update!!!

We loved BB too! It was a fun park - although the day we were there is was quite crowded.

Loved all of the pictures of everyone! And loved that bucket full of icecream! Mmmmm...

We cannot wait to do full days at both water parks on our next trip.

What a lovely gift from a lovely friend! <3

D~

I remember you saying it was hot and crowded on your BB day...ours was neither, so I would say it was a near perfect day to be there. :cloud9:

Awwwwww!!!! So awesome that Cheeky did that for you, what a wonderful friend!

I haven't been to a Disney water park since I was little and that was the old River Country. I'm just not really into water parks but it sure looks like you guys had a wonderful day!

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with having Disney chicken nuggets! ::yes:: :rotfl:

I am just so blessed with the most wonderful Dis-friends. :goodvibes I only regret that I missed out on the "treasure" that is these Disboards for the first thirty...something years of my life. :lmao:

I thought of you as soon as I posted that picture of our lunch. I had always seen your nugget pictures, but I had never tried them for myself. I really liked them...and it was so great eating them outdoors. I LIKED the Disney chicken nuggets!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have a lot to read and catch up on but just wanted to pop over and say Hello!!

HI, and WELCOME!!! You have come in on the tail end of this report, but feel free to use the index on the first page if you want to just read the posts. I am about to wrap up this TR, but I hope you will join the party when I start a PTR for our next trip! :goodvibes

This was to be our last full day of vacation. We took a leisurely start to the day. We made a breakfast of all the leftover breakfast food odds and ends. Some folks had cereal, others had toast with jelly, a few had pancakes, there was oatmeal...just a regular free for all. We did some laundry and started our packing...all the normal last day stuff. :thumbsup2

We then headed down to...POOL #1 for the day:

She really did get stuck between those columns! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Then we headed back in for some lunch...much the same as breakfast, leftover odds and ends. After lunch we set out for POOL #2 for day:

This was the World Center pool, so it had a bar. We decided to have a few celebratory drinks to toast our last day of a wonderful vacation:

Here, Here!!!

Yes, they were "virgin" cocktails! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2: Mom and Dad were with us, but I don't seem to have any photos with them. :confused3

After relaxing at POOL #2, we all headed back to our section of the resort. Brian, Dad and the kids played again at POOL #1 while Mom and I headed inside to get some things ready.

On this night our CM friend and his family were coming to have dinner with us. Rather than doing the "touristy" thing and meeting at a restaurant, Mom and I decided we wanted to COOK them dinner.

While we were manning the grill, my kids asked Papa to teach them to play shuffleboard:

It was all fun and games until Gabe ended up with a puck to the toe... :sad2:

That evening we dined outdoors with our friends. We feasted on: Grilled Steaks, Hashbrown Casserole, Grilled Corn on the Cob, Grilled Asparagus, and Garlic Toast.

We spent the evening reminiscing about bygone days when we had all lived within a block of each other. I had babysat the oldest son every summer for five years...said son was now a 6ft some odd inch MAN! Yes, I am old. :sad2: We shared so many stories, we laughed the ENTIRE TIME! Brian and the kids really enjoyed hearing it all. It was a fantastic evening with wonderful friends. :cloud9:

After they left....we decided to stretch our last day a bit more, so we headed off to POOL #3 for the day:

POOL #3 just happened to have a hot tub as well:

Brian is normally an introvert, and he had done so well vacationing with my parents all week...so this is what he chose to do while we were swimming and hot-tubbing:

It was the perfect last day of vacation for all of us. :cloud9:

What a wonderful and relaxing last day! This trip turned out so awesome! I just love it! It's proof that you can go to FL, and still have a great time not at Disney - but I am so happy that you were able to throw SO MUCH Disney into it - seriously! I think you managed to create the perfect mix of a calm and relaxing family Non-Disney vacation.

I am so happy you shared this trip with us! I love your TRs and I love your family! :)

D~

I am so glad that you had an awesome day at Blizzard Beach and I am so happy that you at least got to see The Congo connie ( which I don't know if i've ever told you this but in my cell your listed as Congo) teehee And Now I very much need tissues and ice cream lol .Girlfraaaaaan I am so thankful for The disboards because of our friendship ,you'll never know just how much you mean to me!

This truly was an amazing vacation!!!!!

what a perfect way to end it!!! you guys are all so wonderful!

now.. i know your reporting isn't over..

and i am a bit GIDDY about what is to come!

What a wonderful and relaxing last day! This trip turned out so awesome! I just love it! It's proof that you can go to FL, and still have a great time not at Disney - but I am so happy that you were able to throw SO MUCH Disney into it - seriously! I think you managed to create the perfect mix of a calm and relaxing family Non-Disney vacation.

I am so happy you shared this trip with us! I love your TRs and I love your family! :)

D~

Yes, this vacation turned out to be the perfect balance between relax-ification and Disney-fication! :goodvibes We are a blessed family for sure!

I am so glad that you had an awesome day at Blizzard Beach and I am so happy that you at least got to see The Congo connie ( which I don't know if i've ever told you this but in my cell your listed as Congo) teehee And Now I very much need tissues and ice cream lol .Girlfraaaaaan I am so thankful for The disboards because of our friendship ,you'll never know just how much you mean to me!

:goodvibes :hug: :flower3:

This truly was an amazing vacation!!!!!

what a perfect way to end it!!! you guys are all so wonderful!

now.. i know your reporting isn't over..

and i am a bit GIDDY about what is to come!

The end is near, the end is near!!!! :cool1: My plan is to wrap this one up today or tomorrow, and get the next "chapter" going right away...wish me luck! :thumbsup2

How about a load of random fun? I had not done any Christmas updates, so I thought I would throw in a few fun photos for your viewing pleasure. :cool2:

Charity was voted to be on the Homecoming court at her school just before Christmas.

And here are some fun shots from Christmas at the oopsiHOUSE:

Movie nights for 2014 have officially started!!!! We had our first one of the year this past Saturday. We had some VERY special guests as well...the Quackattack Family! :cool1: For those of you who may not know about the Quackattacks...they are IRL friends who will be joining us on the cruise. Quackattack pops in on my TR every now and then. She has promised to try to tag team the cruise PTR with me as much as she can. We were excited to share this movie night with them.

HERCULES!! The invitation:

Brian is so cool and nonchalant about things. But when he saw the invitation he commented that it wasn't very elaborate this time. "Honey, do you enjoy the invitations?" "Yeah, I guess." :rolleyes1 He gets into these things way more than he lets on! :rotfl:

The food and decorations:

Greek Salad:

Gyros Fixin's:

Jillian made the Baklava:

That Baklava was TO. DIE. FOR. It was the star of the menu. Even Quackattack's husband said it was the best baklava he had ever had. It was DE.LI.CIOUS!

Up close shot of decorations:

Our activity was Olympic Torches:

Quackattack and her hubby (with son photobombing :lmao:):

When I got ready for the picture to show the finished torches, Gabe was pouting about something and didn't want to do it...so his Daddy "helped" him out:

Today was the dreaded day...leaving day, going home day, back to reality day... :sad1: We loaded up our cars, checked and double checked the room to make sure nothing was left behind, said our goodbyes and parted ways. Vacation wasn't COMPLETELY over for our family, we had one more stop to make before heading back to Nashville. :thumbsup2

Just like I have my Disfriends, Brian has his own online community of friends. He is a member of a community of online gamers who are 25 and older. We were scheduled to meet up with one of his gamer friends for lunch in Lake City. Lunch was here that day:

Ever heard of it? For those of you who fly instead of drive, you may not be familiar with Sonny's. Sonny's is a bbq restaurant that is EVERYWHERE in Florida. It has been around for years. It was the go to after church hang out back when I was growing up in Florida. My BFF and her hubby are "born and bred" Tennessee folks, but they discovered Sonny's on one of their FL vacations, and now it is her hubby's favorite vacation restaurant. As soon as they hit the FL state line, they must find a Sonny's right away.

Funny story: he found out there is a Sonny's in Knoxville. So one Sunday we all drove 2 1/2 HOURS to have lunch there!! :lmao: The sad part was the that food at that one was mediocre at best... it was not even warm. :crazy2:

So, back to the update. Since we were at Sonny's I had to send a photo to BFF just to "rub it in":

I didn't get a picture of my food, because I didn't want to embarrass Brian in front of his friend. :rotfl: It was a good lunch, and Brian enjoyed visiting with his friend. After leaving Sonny's it was full speed ahead to home...

On one of our bathroom stops I found this sign and had an awful realization:

The oopsiFAMILY was going the WRONG WAY!!!! Our happy place was officially behind us for another year. :sad:

We made it home okay, and we still had two days to settle in, unpack, and unwind before work and school on Monday.

It was a fantastic vacation all around. I have absolutely no complaints. What started as a financial stuggle ending our dream of a Disney vacation for 2013 ended up being one fabulous non-Disney vacation with a ton of Disney-fication from start to finish! pixiedust:

Oh my...that's a lot of updates.

First and foremost...I agree with you that DIS friends are the VERY best friends.

Looks like everyone had a fun day at Blizzard Beach. We have not been to a water park since 2000; but I am going on the girls trip in June (although we are doing Typhoon Lagoon and I won't be doing the slides!).

I could really go for one of those ice creams right about now in that bucket. It looks so yummy.

What a fun day at the pool...or I should say pools. Everyone is having such a good time...you wouldn't know you were leaving the next day.

We've eaten at Sonny's a couple of times (usually when we drive during Mark's business trips).

Love the homecoming court photos and your Christmas pics...your family is beautiful.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful vacation. :goodvibes

I was so behind but am caught up just as you are winding things down. I sure hope that you'll start a pre-trip report and I promise that I'll do my best to keep up.

I agree that Dis friends are the best! I've met some people on here that I've become fast friends with.

Great, now I can't remember everything that I wanted to comment on. Blizzard Beach looks like a lot of fun. We're giving both water parks a go next trip. Oh and CRAP for breaking the camera! I've done that before and went searching for a Walmart at 2 a.m. Not fun.

Let's see what else? Hum? I can't remember!:faint:

Love all the updates!

Your last day looked perfect and very relaxing. A great way to end a great vacation! I love all the pools at your resort. If we ever stayed there I don't think I'd be able to get my boys to leave.

Movie night looks like another big hit and the food looked delicious (like always). I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen the movie Hercules. I'll add it to my list.

I'm sad that your TR is over but I am so excited for you to start your PTR. DH and I are leaning heavily towards moving our onboard booking to the November 29th Fantasy sailing (the same week we went last year). We just had so much fun and can't wait to do it all over again. I have a feeling your PTR is going to give me the push I need to move our OBB.

Loved all of your updates!

Christmas at the Oopsi house sure looked awesome! Congratulations to Charity for Homecoming court! WONDERFUL!

The food at your Hercules night looked fantastic!!! Mmmm... Love Gyros and baklava!

Sadness for your last day... I always wish it would last forever.

I agree, for a trip that started off a little sad and non-Disney like... It seems like it turned out to be just a fantastic load of fuN!

Can't wait for your PTR to start... You didn't start it with out me, did you?

D~

AWWWWWWWWW!
HOW SWEET!!! Charity looked BEAUTIFUL!!! stunning!
So cute in how awkward they are at this age!! Did you make the Gyros meat?!?! Looks scrumptious! so does that salad!!! YUM!!!
I would LOVE to do a Disney night... maybe i can do it with Jen and Nicole one night.. that could be a lot of fun..
Quackattack and family looks so sweet! glad you have such wonderful friends!!!
CHRISTMAS!!! :cheer2: how do you like Infinity?!?! we have a ball with it..

So sorry this trip is over... and Disney was behind you.. BUT!!!

THE CRUISE IS COMING UP!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter