The Disney Alaskan Cruise Bible

Frequently people who fly into Seattle take the Amtrak for a fun scenic 4 hour way of getting there. Many people report that this is the easiest way to get through customs into Canada. Unfortunately the train only departs twice a day 7:45 am and 6:50 pm requiring that you either have an early check in or a late arrival.

There are buses that have more convenient times, but they are still buses instead of the train.
Additional thoughts....
  • while there are 2 one way train trips into Vancouver. Quick shuttle offers 6 to 7 daily trips into Vancouver to fit your plane schedule. Quick shuttle offers pickup downtown OR THE AIRPORT. Amtrak sounds cheap compared to Quick Shuttle, but Quick Shuttle's bundled airport transfer makes it attractive.
  • train and non-Quick shuttle require you to find your own way into the Seattle downtown. With Amtrak buses, Bolt and Quick Shuttle.... there is over a dozen bus trips from Seattle into Vancouver.
  • buses travel FASTER than the train on the Interstate
  • buses need to pull luggage at the border for inspection, train has their customs at the Vancouver train station. We were the last to get off the train.... it took over 30 minutes for customs at the train station!
  • it's been said to try for the West side train window seats for best views. Research how early you need to get to the train station for those coveted seats. Some recommend paying a premium for business class.
  • Another option is to fly direct into Vancouver and then take the train to Seattle post-cruise for savings. The trains/busses can be super busy on a pre-cruise long weekend. Flying into Vancouver avoids the hassles.

Expect a 30 to 35-minute trip to downtown from airport.

A cab fare will run about $35 CDN/$31 US (to Pan Pacific or Cruise Terminal)
Thoughts....
  • it's $35 CDN ($26 USD) to cruise terminal and adjacent hotels
  • it's $31 CDN ($23 USD) for hotels away from the cruise terminal downtown
  • subway can be as high as $9 ($7 USD) per adult during peak periods
  • I like the cab for door to door convenience. Evening flights are best with cabs as the train frequency drops to once every 20 minutes. I hate the subway luggage drag from the station to the hotel.
Additional thoughts...
  • Vancouver is best explored POST-CRUISE. The pre-cruise weekend can be busy with festivals and various event road closures. Attractions are more busy too.
  • Vancouver deserves a multi-day stay to enjoy all the activities at your bonus port. Big reason DCL moved operations from Seattle.
  • Blue Horizon is a popular choice for value travelers. I hear the YWCA is a growing popular choice for budget travelers. Book early for availability and best prices.
  • Grouse and Capilano should be combined together on the same day. Catch the free Grouse shuttle from the cruise terminal, on the return many request to be dropped offer at Capilano.... then return on the free Capilano shuttle into the downtown. Possible itinerary suggestion.....
    • Day 1 Grouse/Capilano/Fly Over Canada (open til 9pm)
    • Day 2 Hop On with emphasis on Gastown, Granville Island and Stanley Park
    • Day 3 Whistler and Sea2Sky activities
    • Day 4 Victoria
    • Day 5 Seattle
    • additional days.... Banff? Storybrooke w/ Orca whale watch?
  • check the Grouse show schedule to plan your arrival to get best value.
  • Grouse also offers a breakfast with their rescue bears. Please don't feed the parents to the bears.
  • If you decide to have dinner at their Observatory restaurant... your gondola admission is free.
  • Arriving at Capilano after 5pm means less crowds and a significant admission discount.

Last edited:
* Decorating the door is not a necessity. Sure it's fun, but plenty of people don't. If you choose to, do be aware that people have more than once reported having their magnets moved or stolen. So I would not count on using those for finding the cabin. I have never seen what the big deal is about finding it. 10 cruises and I've never lost the cabin.

I think most people decorate their doors because it's fun, not as a way finding tool.

Love this Bible....

Can someone confirm this? In another thread, it was mentioned the Tracy Arm BBQ was shutdown with the Cabanas reimagination.

oh, I thought I removed all of those references... I'll need to fix that...

I think most people decorate their doors because it's fun, not as a way finding tool.

True, or at least they think it's fun.

But OP specifically mentioned it as a way to find the cabin, which is why I pointed out that people have been known to move and/or steal them.

True, or at least they think it's fun.

But OP specifically mentioned it as a way to find the cabin, which is why I pointed out that people have been known to move and/or steal them.
I always thought it was so KIDS could find them. The magnets did help my 4 year old. But yeah, in general I think it's just for fun.

Seems your trip plans are similar to mine. Have you found reliable step-by-step instructions for getting from AmTrack (Pacific Central Station) to Pan Pacific Hotel / Canada Place by SkyTrain?

1. Exit train
  2. line up for customs
  3. grab luggage
  4. drag luggage South West of the station for one block to the elevated train station
  5. elevator up and pay for fare
  6. seek out the Waterfront station platform (North side---look for mountains)
  7. get off 4 stations later (Waterfront)
  8. luggage drag 3 blocks to cruise terminal or adjacent hotels. Pay attention to which one to exit the station... the East side with the elevators is the long way... but it's the safe way.
Additional thoughts.... I like cab
  • most hotels are not near the train stations... there will be a luggage drag. Check Google Maps for exact distance.
  • transferring from train to public buses is not pleasant with luggage
  • cab offers door to door convenience for most hotels under $15 USD a carload
  • if arriving in Vancouver in the evening train..... the Skytrain subway runs at a reduced frequency
  • I hate trying to figure out how to pay my fare on subway ticket machines in a foreign city. It's worse when you need to wait behind others also trying to figure out the machines.

Last edited:
TRITONS

American/French Cuisine

7pq-R_U-Y9UgiPK-1QXO7aJG5cSMZ4sm7tVRmvRS-CwgpSrl1Z4Bkei1Gt-DwFm3tPYZLAHssbBZVPuLy4B8qTVE_c_XH92NGstEluXixLnFiTprb0E4M1JRWu3RRUwULBAgtuS9

Showcasing a sophisticated fusion of French and American fare, Triton’s serves a mouthwatering supper in 4 courses. “Wet” your appetite with artfully presented appetizers that include duck confit, “Chef Louis” French onion soup and “Prince Eric’s” escargots gratinés. Dive into an avocado citrus salad or chilled jumbo shrimp before taking the plunge with steaming braised lamb shank, three-cheese lobster macaroni, roasted duck breast or porcini mushroom-stuffed pasta in a steaming vegetable broth.

Emerge from your main course wanting more? Satisfy your sweet tooth with crème brûlée, chocolate mousse, Grand Marnier soufflé or a traditional ice-cream sundae.

Breakfast and Lunch

During the morning and afternoon hours, Triton’s offers table-service dining for those choosing to forgo the buffets. At daybreak, you’re invited to sink your teeth into French toast, omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, crepes, fresh fruit and more. Specialty drinks like cappuccino, espresso and café latte only make the morning brighter.

Later, Triton’s is home to a delicious 3-course lunch. Sink your teeth into such lip-smacking entrées as herb-crusted North Atlantic whitefish, grilled chicken breast with rosemary potatoes or honey glazed barbecue pork ribs. A full wine list, specialty drinks like mimosas and margaritas and delicious ice-cream blended smoothies are also available for an additional cost.

Although your table is reserved at dinner, open seating is available at lunch, meaning you and your family are invited to dine at any available table you choose.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/tritons-menu/

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/cruise/dining/menutritons.html

Animator's Palate

Asian/California

Enjoy an innovative dinner show celebrating the art of storytelling where Disney characters come to life before your eyes.
Become drawn into a spacious yet stylized dining room that recalls a real-life, hand-drawn environment in black and white. Animator’s Palate boasts a fantastic architectural design, where proportions bend and slant suddenly and sketches showcasing characters and scenes from Disney and Disney·Pixar films adorn the walls around you.

e6fgjYM7h72mUWRRopzlEcS_3-xS3c5aVHBzWygzsjfTr6gwBhbBT_tm8DCWilDr1xfC0Ozv1uSIQ0nv-sxr-pa7ZdIESfL_EjfDMdpqXzybkh8d8xPTsE7_j-CQCidc772wYQ0E

Dinner shows include:

Drawn to Magic :
Behold the evolution of animation—from pencil test to ink-and-paint. Follow a hero's storytelling journey through Disney and Pixar animation, where wishing upon a star paves the way for happily-ever-after. In an emotional finale, the black-and-white interior of the restaurant is transformed with splashes of vibrant color. Join Sorcerer Mickey as he leads the fun!

Animation Magic:

XEvj6IGY4yv0XcZvcZaENJg57rqLHacxu5BJqfFAs4Ux7yKwlcGZHgwj2FIzceta0YD7g4akpVpiWzckGuFp9IdaYK_4m69vyMkapXXUP5iTTAVJvRjL2_ibuGIIDLPkULdrEf5O

Try your hand at drawing your very own character—and then watch in wonder as your creation becomes part of the show, dancing alongside some classic Disney characters. You won't believe your eyes!

A savory fusion of Pacific Island foods, Asian cooking and fresh California fare paints a delicious culinary picture nightly.

Your dining masterpiece begins with a gallery of tantalizing appetizers, including smoked salmon tartare, wild mushroom risotto, black truffle pasta purseittes and creamy butternut squash soup. Hand-drawn specialties such as the taleggio cheese flatbread and a polenta cake topped with Roma tomatoes and Portobello mushrooms are sure to animate and delight.

Artfully prepared main course selections include Pacific black cod, lemon-thyme marinated organic chicken breast, angus beef tenderloin and white shrimp pennette pasta. Stir fry vegetables and black bean chipotle cakes are just some of the vegetarian offerings on full display, while a children’s menu is sure to inspire the pickiest of “palettes.”

Have an eye for something sweet? Add a finishing touch to your meal with a curated collage of decadent desserts such as crème brûlèe, peanut butter mousse or a classic ice-cream sundae.

Sample menu - http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/animators-palate-menu-magic-wonder/

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/cruise/dining/menuanim.html

Tiana's Place
New Orleans/Creole

Blending southern home-style cooking with classic American flavors, Tiana’s Place invites you to drop in and sup on a tasty medley of mouthwatering fare influenced by the French Quarter. Nibble on the Creole-infused New Orleans Seafood Pepper Pot—a tantalizing bouillabaisse overflowing with calamari, shrimp, scallops and cilantro—or polish off a Cajun-spiced sea bass on shrimp jambalaya alongside a crisp fennel salad and remoulade sauce. Whether you’re hankerin’ for bold and spicy or flavorful and familiar, there's something for nearly every palate on the menu.

Tuckered out... or fixin’ for dessert? Satisfy your sweet tooth with a confection of after-dinner delights, including Tiana's Buttermilk Beignets, Mama Odie's Chocolate Bread Pudding and the decadent New Orleans Banana Foster Sundae, just to name a few. It’s sure to leave you grinnin’ like a possum till the sun comes up!

wa_AY1qWYTDfqHBPijFdUYK6SfA3i9ITUIK5oz5UnBNCtXkNVnhyDccU-YMQKZvhWp0ToPz_aVaA0oI9eLeSI5X2h0AqphCDlounSbVExkUXTPMkAUQ9lxKCny5OFW3VSCF3rfhD

The beignets are offered with an espresso sauce, but alternates are available if you ask for them.

Sample Menu http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/tianas-place-menu-disney-wonder/

Palo

High End Authentic Italian

In addition to the MDR’s there is one specialty adult-only restaurant: Palo (Deck 10)- brunch, Dinner and an afternoon tea

• Has a 270-degree ocean view from high atop the ship on Deck 10- has the nicest view of all restaurants on the ship (before sunset)

• Northern Italian cuisine

• $30 cover charge per person is applied.
  • Palo brunch on days at sea.

• Tasting menu is available at Palo - "Esperienza del Vino". This five-course dinner will be paired with Italian wines. The cost is $59 above the standard Palo charge.
tAmQqOVsx9mprluw4-Odt2HjpZp49GY2omz510Q8C8x5P2QAf2S69TO4a0hYC0WAQSOevSNZpVQrdkjbQYfRWsBAWDbflZH4TNlVbzCOS2RKr0usfwHgYEyu4B45VBfku7Tvk9Th

Dress code: During dinner, gentlemen will be required to wear a dress shirt. Gentlemen wearing polo shirts, t-shirts, Tommy Bahama style shirts, etc and anyone wearing casual footwear such as flip flops or sneakers will not be allowed admittance. Jackets and/or ties are recommended but not required.

• Reservations are required.
Guests should know that an earlier reservation is often easier to get and offers the addition of the spectacular view and sunset.

The best times will book well before you ever board the ship. Book online.

http://livingthedisneydream.com/tag/disney-wonder/

1. Exit train
  2. line up for customs
  3. grab luggage
  4. drag luggage South West of the station for one block to the elevated train station
  5. elevator up and pay for fare
  6. seek out the Waterfront station platform (North side---look for mountains)
  7. get off 4 stations later (Waterfront)
  8. luggage drag 3 blocks to cruise terminal or adjacent hotels. Pay attention to which one to exit the station... the East side with the elevators is the long way... but it's the safe way.
Additional thoughts.... I like cab
  • most hotels are not near the train stations... there will be a luggage drag. Check Google Maps for exact distance.
  • transferring from train to public buses is not pleasant with luggage
  • cab offers door to door convenience for most hotels under $15 USD a carload
  • if arriving in Vancouver in the evening train..... the Skytrain subway runs at a reduced frequency
  • I hate trying to figure out how to pay my fare on subway ticket machines in a foreign city. It's worse when you need to wait behind others also trying to figure out the machines.
Thanks for the instructions and advice about a cab.

Less-Formal Dining Options

If you aren't interested in worrying about time frames here are some options that work with that:

Cabanas

If you’re looking to “hang ten” and enjoy dinner under the stars while basking in the night breezes—or perhaps you simply prefer a more subdued setting inside the restaurant with an ocean view—you’re invited to dine at Cabanas in place of your scheduled Main Dining restaurant. Bedecked in linen tablecloths and napkins, dinner at Cabanas features signature dishes from the Main Dining restaurants plus a menu of exclusive lip-smacking delicacies over a tantalizing 4-course meal.

• Cabanas buffet turns into a small sit down restaurant from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. EXCEPT the first and last night. Many people with young kids go there because it is much faster and more relaxed atmosphere. No assigned seating.
    • Just show up during its open hours. It won’t be a buffet; it will be table service, with a subset of foods from the menus available in the main dining rooms that night.
Counter Service Restaurants

PETE’S BROILER BITES

CMis-4IpcokmJJ2FJ4mrLHTiq617ZECzqrfBuRUuN2xnaWa_hvTxQa1mmju9V0ymWpORDw9gK8TQerUOWQxPg1j3Lx2cmaLguGeh-VuEI6tWvGc9CTg867NKrlrLeNY8HMJ1elSr
bBUJpSWtuAtCiPFAtamnYUvNkAKnzhzR-ZhUYKyurB3npXYb1UzRN8wqkhCn7-RTP9uZXCywdLlYp6yYSec2abuqxwSIFyb5PCWG7HKo99KH8UpxAPAA_l2hjktKkeqG_yITMLxy

Pete’s Boiler Bites is the all new quick service dining location on the Disney Magic & Disney Wonder. Pete’s Boiler Bites is located on deck 9 aft near the AquaLab family pool area replacing Pluto’s Dog House during the Classic ships’ re-imaginations in 2013 and 2016. Pete will be serving up lunch, dinner and snacks from his poolside grill. This is also where the shawarma is located.

Daisy’s Delights

Daisy’s De-Lites is the all new quick service dining location on the reimagined Disney Magic. Daisy’s De-Lites is replacing Goofy’s Galley located on Deck 9 Aft near the AquaLab family pool area. Daisy’s De-Lites will serve breakfast, lunch, and early evening snacks.

Items that may be available include:

Fresh Fruit
Salads
Sandwiches
Wraps
Cookies
Bagels

Mg50PLAzxLj54WLn2q8nG8-f6C1H5NuGoiepZxQmQryk7WrxNcwn5TB25KipLBhg7LDYGXwMHsthb70MU3DoQBroHPZcbA59i2xk41jsyOiXzpI0Iio_Cle1LbfQo5u2i7nLuA8T

Pinocchio's Pizzeria

CFnt-V64GfWS32AIDW3m-e53uPUxMmQMNqt_HoDEvmy5kYnBWns2JTNK-NtZcYw0adTz-pq3pd8vtiPAN5IFmrFx9aUIsn5eqxkJtk2b0ZkrFDpDU2L-29wld1gOhXrixbMhiETs

Pinocchio’s Pizzeria is located aboard the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder on deck 9 aft near the Goofy pool. Pinocchio’s Pizzeria serves pizza as well late night snacks. Generally you can get pizza anytime between 10:45 AM and 6 PM. Late night snacks are sometimes served between 9:30 PM and Midnight. Check your Personal Navigator for the specific times on your cruise.

Pinocchio’s Pizzeria typically serves:

Cheese Pizza
Pepperoni Pizza
Vegetarian Pizza
Hawaiian Pizza

Hours of operation differ by day and venue, so be sure to check the Personal Navigator daily newsletter or Disney Cruise Line Navigator app once on board for specific hours and details.

Cove Cafe

sduM7QVn3YnDrbJfS9gI06bgbYQAvcSaEsHHkbA4cxBfWhoWgVkx984sXSOVz6vDF2Xlmpt3tMB4lEsuhC_e6MoA-F_Cu8oXF1a1IEsWSCs150rNBUHlURmz3xK7_q3atYzj3l-u

“The pastry in the Cove Café is free!”

The adults-only Cove Café on Deck 9 Forward near the adult pool- can make espresso drinks (from actual ground coffee beans) for an extra charge.
If you are a regular consumer of espresso drinks, be sure to get a coffee card. Each time you buy a latte, cappuccino, etc. they will mark the card. Your sixth beverage is FREE!

“One thing I missed on my first sailing with DCL that became a fun find on my second sailing was that free afternoon treats at Cove Cafe. “ There is a bakery case full of pastries, sticky buns; afternoons with cakes and cookies; evening with appetizers like cheese and olives.”

It’s all included, only the beverages are purchased.

BEVERAGE STATION/EYE SCREAM TREATS

nlh1WuoALFsPwpFM-lxUaeVNl1NK8Kw8Uo_3xlY-Hii9kkWj11UAA5YEV64EXS1UpCXIbiAXCbdqiq-xK-Rm71-4tXH0ncnJeNCge5rt7T_OkXQP1we0vxq2GnDTeggW5pNeuSVe

“There is no charge for soft drinks at the Beverage Station on Deck 9”

There is a milk, water, soft drinks, lemonade, tea and coffee station (Joffrey's brand) on Deck 9 aft that is available most of the time each day. For no additional fees.

“If you want root beer, you have to bring it on yourself”

The Soda is only free on deck 9, if you want to take it anywhere (like shows/movies or back to your room) you may want to bring a large travel cup

“There are cups at the drink station, but they are small. People will bring everything from a travel type mug to the infamous Bubba Keg. As for having room to pack something more into your bags.....you can actually stuff a lot into a Bubba Keg so it really isn't taking up too much space! Bubba Kegs keep beverages hot or cold, come in several sizes and colors and are great conversation starters. lol I am a proud Bubba Keg carrier!!!! You can purchase your own Bubba Keg at Target and similar stores.”

“You can bring your own larger capacity cups to fill on deck 9, however they do require that you use the smaller DCL disposable cups to actually get the beverage from the machine and then pour it into your own cup. This may take several fills/pours, but it eliminates the chance of germs from your personal cup being transferred to the spout on the machine- so it's a logical policy.”

Eye Scream Treats/Soft Serve Station

3qTEC6tkxnHxEgccaR8huCj1nX423olei-Tgi5sbAu_3XouShwNOyA_dopYl1DNFUAmQuRMBoAo2-8PnJsI-3Wnh9ObxvsAhzHxRaeLvXIxMPy7KpZasAtHbLiz7OmWd7r6nSPHO

Unlimited Soft Serve Ice Cream in a variety of flavors including:

Chocolate

Vanilla

Strawberry

Blueberry

Banana

Pineapple “not Dole Whip :(

Mango

Chocolate and/or Vanilla are always available, other flavors come and go with no regularity and may or may not be on the Ship for any given trip.

“Use the drink cups at the soft serve station for ice cream instead of the little ice-cream bowls. Also makes great floats”

“Coke Float. The best invention ever! Why not put some ice cream in the bottom of a coke cup and then top up at the drinks station?”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter