The Dis Exclusive City of Knights and Lights Trip 10/8 - 10/17/2012

Sitting here planning and printing address' to places in Paris I keep going from Excited to Panic to the point it's getting to me. :scared: Basically 'Wow I can't wait to get here to OMG I'm not ready!!!'

I saw above a mention of making restaurant reservations especially in Paris. I tried to research places via trip advisor and google maps and realized the worst restaurant in Paris is still better than some of the best restaurants here. Am I incorrect in this assumption? I was becoming overwhelmed at trying to find places to make reservations at both London and Paris. Plus I don't have a cell phone plan for overseas calling so a reservation call would cost me. There are so many places to eat in both cities I feel just going around looking at places and just eating where I feel would be nice or what I'm in the mood for that evening seems better than make a blind reservation at a place and being 'set' to eat there that evening. There is also that issue with my husband's gluten allergy but I'm becoming less and less worried about that the more I research.

Sitting here planning and printing address' to places in Paris I keep going from Excited to Panic to the point it's getting to me. :scared: Basically 'Wow I can't wait to get here to OMG I'm not ready!!!'

I saw above a mention of making restaurant reservations especially in Paris. I tried to research places via trip advisor and google maps and realized the worst restaurant in Paris is still better than some of the best restaurants here. Am I incorrect in this assumption? I was becoming overwhelmed at trying to find places to make reservations at both London and Paris. Plus I don't have a cell phone plan for overseas calling so a reservation call would cost me. There are so many places to eat in both cities I feel just going around looking at places and just eating where I feel would be nice or what I'm in the mood for that evening seems better than make a blind reservation at a place and being 'set' to eat there that evening. There is also that issue with my husband's gluten allergy but I'm becoming less and less worried about that the more I research.

We did this trip last September with the DIS, and we found that the concierges at both the London and Paris hotel were wonderful with dining recommendations and reservations.

Have fun!!

We made a day of reservation in Paris through the concierge for our OYO night and ended up having a terrific and romantic dining experience.

We did this trip last September with the DIS, and we found that the concierges at both the London and Paris hotel were wonderful with dining recommendations and reservations.

Have fun!!

We made a day of reservation in Paris through the concierge for our OYO night and ended up having a terrific and romantic dining experience.

Frank reminded me that "we" did the same in Rome. Upon arrival (a day early) several in our group asked the concierge to make a restaurant recommendation. He not only made a recommendation, but called the restaurant to see if we could be seated. We like the restaurant so much we went back a second night.

Now, Rome is different than London and Paris, but there is something to be said for "winging it" instead of being an uber planner.

Thanks for the responses! :)

I think 'winging it' is the best idea and sounds like the hotels are pretty helpful in finding places and getting reservations.

I'm also a big 'walking around see a place and ask' type of person but not sure how well that works in Europe. Pubs I assume are 'walk up' places but I know here that's not always the case. Though I'm pretty comfortable at sitting at a bar instead of a table if it means I get to eat or drink sooner.

LionKingRules84 said:
Thanks for the responses! :)

I think 'winging it' is the best idea and sounds like the hotels are pretty helpful in finding places and getting reservations.

I'm also a big 'walking around see a place and ask' type of person but not sure how well that works in Europe. Pubs I assume are 'walk up' places but I know here that's not always the case. Though I'm pretty comfortable at sitting at a bar instead of a table if it means I get to eat or drink sooner.

Had the best meal in Paris on the recommendation of our ABD guide Francesc : George V on the Champs Élysées! Escargot, French onion soup, duck, chicken, beef,champagne with strawberries, crepes with chocolate, citron sorbet..... EVERYTHING was delicious and we sat with the floor to ceiling windows open, so it was like we were right on the sidewalk and could people watch. Oh, I want to go back!! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

On last year's trip, at the recommendation of the concierge in the London hotel, we ate at an Italian place a block or two from the hotel called Bacco. I wasn't sure about it because we have pretty simple tastes and the menu was a little "frou frou", but it was delicious. A great way to kick off our trip!

Laurie

DisneyKevin said:
It's here!

It's here!

Yours should be here soon!

Hey Kevin,

Can't believe you'll be back here in a little over 2 weeks time! That has come about so quickly. Venice seems like it was only a few weeks ago!

Are there any plans for a meet before your adventure begins? I know you were hoping to do something last time we spoke.

Will be great to see you all again, albeit briefly!

Adam

Hey Kevin,

Can't believe you'll be back here in a little over 2 weeks time! That has come about so quickly. Venice seems like it was only a few weeks ago!

Are there any plans for a meet before your adventure begins? I know you were hoping to do something last time we spoke.

Will be great to see you all again, albeit briefly!

Adam

There will be a meet.

I'm not sure when or where.

Our only free time in London is the afternoon of October 9th (Tuesday).

This is not convenient for anyone.

I believe that there is talk of changing this.

If you have Facebook, you might want to watch Pete's page.

That seems to be where information is being dispersed.

Looking forward to seeing you and Kat again!

Londonmeet.jpg

DisneyKevin said:
It's here!

It's here!

Yours should be here soon!

Mine came today!!!!! But attached to the box was a UPS invoice for $100.00 in duty taxes. Should I be paying for this?

I got mine also, we got a blanket and a packet of information. Is that what everyone else got? Getting excited!

We got ours yesterday, but unfortunately I'm traveling for work. Luckily my wife was kind enough to wait until I get home later today so we can open it together.

Is anyone getting there early interested in going up to the Harry Potter studio tour on Monday morning? They open up at 10am and we'll probably do the 1st or 2nd entry of the day.

Well disregard the last post it came just now! To my house though not the other address.

Odd it came right after Ryan came home from work, UPS usually delivers stuff in the morning, Disney Magic at work I guess? ;)

There will be a meet.

I'm not sure when or where.

Our only free time in London is the afternoon of October 9th (Tuesday).

This is not convenient for anyone.

I believe that there is talk of changing this.

If you have Facebook, you might want to watch Pete's page.

That seems to be where information is being dispersed.

Looking forward to seeing you and Kat again!

Pete posted this earlier today at https://www.facebook.com/pete.werner/posts/3855658549669

Our London DIS meet and live taping will happen on Oct 9th. We'll have cocktails and snacks from 5-7 pm and record the show from 7:00-8:30pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter