The Contemporary holds a special place in my heart.

I consider myself one lucky guy. Of course when I was 8 years old, I had no idea I was living a dream for 2 whole years! Born in Houston TX, Moved to Titusville when I was 2 or 3 ?? its a blur. I do remember my elementary school. Apollo Elementary. I remember watching rocket launches from the banks of the Indian River. I remember going to Disney world when I was 5 years old. It was so big! (lol) at least it was big to me! I remember 20,000 leagues and my big brother told me we were going to be eaten! I cried. But in 1973 my life changed forever and until I got older, I had no idea it had. My father was a Marine, RIP dad. He is buried in Arlington with my mother. I sure do miss them! They were the best. They gave me a memory I have shared with my daughters, though young, I think they understand. See, in 1973 I was 7 years old. We moved from our home in Titusville, FL to Disney world! We were in a suite at the Contemporary until late 1975. My dad was some sort of monorail worker/developer, something. I was little. I do know I seen him a number of times working right at the area where the monorail enters and exits the hotel. To this day, I am not sure what exactly he did. What I am sure of is he gave me the best 2 years as a child anyone could ever wish for. was it 2 years exactly? was it only 18 months? or 25. That I cannot pin point. I can pin point the year we moved in and the year we moved to Butler,GA. Either way, Disney is a little more that rides and shows to me. Here are some resort pics from our last trip 9/7 - 9/18 2017.

View attachment 278186 View attachment 278187 View attachment 278188 View attachment 278189 View attachment 278190 View attachment 278191 View attachment 278193
So glad to hear that your Marine dad got to work at a job that gave his child so many wonderful memories! It must have been so cool to watch Magic Kingdom fireworks before bed every night, regularly experience the magic of the magic kingdom. I would love to hear more stories of living at mid-1970s Disney World for two years!

I consider myself one lucky guy. Of course when I was 8 years old, I had no idea I was living a dream for 2 whole years! Born in Houston TX, Moved to Titusville when I was 2 or 3 ?? its a blur. I do remember my elementary school. Apollo Elementary. I remember watching rocket launches from the banks of the Indian River. I remember going to Disney world when I was 5 years old. It was so big! (lol) at least it was big to me! I remember 20,000 leagues and my big brother told me we were going to be eaten! I cried. But in 1973 my life changed forever and until I got older, I had no idea it had. My father was a Marine, RIP dad. He is buried in Arlington with my mother. I sure do miss them! They were the best. They gave me a memory I have shared with my daughters, though young, I think they understand. See, in 1973 I was 7 years old. We moved from our home in Titusville, FL to Disney world! We were in a suite at the Contemporary until late 1975. My dad was some sort of monorail worker/developer, something. I was little. I do know I seen him a number of times working right at the area where the monorail enters and exits the hotel. To this day, I am not sure what exactly he did. What I am sure of is he gave me the best 2 years as a child anyone could ever wish for. was it 2 years exactly? was it only 18 months? or 25. That I cannot pin point. I can pin point the year we moved in and the year we moved to Butler,GA. Either way, Disney is a little more that rides and shows to me. Here are some resort pics from our last trip 9/7 - 9/18 2017.

View attachment 278186 View attachment 278187 View attachment 278188 View attachment 278189 View attachment 278190 View attachment 278191 View attachment 278193
That is absolutely spectacular! How thrilling.

does any one knows the resterant names back in the 80's i rember getting shimp cocktail and we could still see the monterrail

Other restaurants were the Buffeteria and the Pueblo Room. The Grand Fiesta Fun Center (the arcade) was THE BEST! It also had a movie theater inside, where you could watch Disney movies! My brother and I spent many nights over the years in that arcade, while my parents had a date night. Some great memories! Also loved the Fantasia Store on the GC Level! It was so great before they converted it into a make-shift arcade. There is one (1) store that is reminiscent of the 80s. If you are lucky enough to walk past Gateway Gifts in Epcot, do yourself a favor and stop in there. It's like stepping back in time. Nothing has been touched since the 80s. Hopefully, they leave that gem there! It's right in the entrance way of Epcot. If you are walking into Epcot, bear left as you go under Spaceship Earth...it's right on the left hand side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!