The Contemporary holds a special place in my heart.

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
I consider myself one lucky guy. Of course when I was 8 years old, I had no idea I was living a dream for 2 whole years! Born in Houston TX, Moved to Titusville when I was 2 or 3 ?? its a blur. I do remember my elementary school. Apollo Elementary. I remember watching rocket launches from the banks of the Indian River. I remember going to Disney world when I was 5 years old. It was so big! (lol) at least it was big to me! I remember 20,000 leagues and my big brother told me we were going to be eaten! I cried. But in 1973 my life changed forever and until I got older, I had no idea it had. My father was a Marine, RIP dad. He is buried in Arlington with my mother. I sure do miss them! They were the best. They gave me a memory I have shared with my daughters, though young, I think they understand. See, in 1973 I was 7 years old. We moved from our home in Titusville, FL to Disney world! We were in a suite at the Contemporary until late 1975. My dad was some sort of monorail worker/developer, something. I was little. I do know I seen him a number of times working right at the area where the monorail enters and exits the hotel. To this day, I am not sure what exactly he did. What I am sure of is he gave me the best 2 years as a child anyone could ever wish for. was it 2 years exactly? was it only 18 months? or 25. That I cannot pin point. I can pin point the year we moved in and the year we moved to Butler,GA. Either way, Disney is a little more that rides and shows to me. Here are some resort pics from our last trip 9/7 - 9/18 2017.

IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1582small.jpg IMG_1301small.jpg MK_MAGCMMNTS_20170908_404774901336small.jpg

Have you ever considered trying to get in touch with anyone that worked with your dad while at WDW? Not sure if it's possible, but I would be so interested in some of the stories they might have.

Have you ever considered trying to get in touch with anyone that worked with your dad while at WDW? Not sure if it's possible, but I would be so interested in some of the stories they might have.
Years ago I did but after my mother passed away I really didn’t have any way to find anything out.

That is too bad. I hear so many stories from past cast members and imagineers on podcasts and blogs, I wonder if sharing your story in other media might possibly provide some contacts? Just curious. As I mentioned, I really do enjoy these types of stories from WDW's past.

I'm think reaching out to Jim Hill (Jim Hill Media), Lou Mongello (WDW Radio), Todd James Pierce or Paul F. Anderson (Disney History Institute), Jeff Kurtti, or other Disney Historians could be worth a try. Passport to Dreams Old & New is a good site as well; I can't think of that bloggers name though.

That is too bad. I hear so many stories from past cast members and imagineers on podcasts and blogs, I wonder if sharing your story in other media might possibly provide some contacts? Just curious. As I mentioned, I really do enjoy these types of stories from WDW's past.

I'm think reaching out to Jim Hill (Jim Hill Media), Lou Mongello (WDW Radio), Todd James Pierce or Paul F. Anderson (Disney History Institute), Jeff Kurtti, or other Disney Historians could be worth a try. Passport to Dreams Old & New is a good site as well; I can't think of that bloggers name though.
Thanks for the information! I will check out all mentioned for sure!

This was so interesting to read.. please post more!! What else do you remember from those days??
Sorry for the long wait to reply. I never seen this in my alerts lol. What I remember? Hmmm. Mr. Toad. I loved that silly ride! On our last visit I noticed the picture of Mr. Toad to the left side as soon as you start on Winnie The Pooh ride. I had to tell my kids all about it! They both said they didn't see the pic so we got right back on just so I could show them. Space Mountain. I clearly remember the projections of the huge swirling galaxy on the ceiling and I remember it feeling like you were "in space" and less of a darker ride even though it was dark. I also remember you got to choose "Alpha" or "Omega" track at the control tower. There were no CM's telling you you had to go right since you are in the FP line. Maybe because there were no FP lol. I remember our books of all "E" tickets so we could ride whatever we wanted. I remember sinking in the seat on Mission to the moon ride. There is so much I will never forget but will always miss. But my fondest memory, getting to pilot the monorail. I rode up front so many times I lost count. On more than one occasion I got to actually push the "T" shaped accelerator forward and make it go! Now you cannot even ride up front much less pilot it.

thank you so much. We first started to go in 1972 (june) and went every year til grandmother died (1976) stay at the Poly (which was cheap in those days). Mother and my brother wanted to stay in the Cont - but grandmother was paying and say no. Remember visiting the place - it was easy you just got on the monorail.

now I can stay at BLT and definitely do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!