The Chinese Theater

BridgetR3

Dreaming of Home
So being WDW fans and having seen "the Chinese Theater" in Hollywood Studios all these years, we are headed west this summer and hope to visit the real Chinese Theater. I've checked it out online and it seems to be a normal movie theater where we could technically watch Cars 3 if it's still out at the time. SO.....anything I should know about the theater itself? Any neat/great hotels nearby for our stay that night?

Supposedly a state of the art IMAX Laser projection setup. So it's going to cost you a bunch extra. I'm guessing IMAX and 3D when they show it.

Yep, it's just a normal movie theater that shows current movies. Ticket prices are typical
of local, reserved seat theaters - $20. They won't show Cars 3 - Disney owns the theater
across the street and has exclusive rights to show Disney movies.

It is a theater with great Hollywood history. Several different stories around how the hand
and footprints in the forecourt came about, there was once a private restaurant above the
projection booth. They offer a tour.

Across the street is the Hollywood Roosevelt hotel. Behind the theater is the Magic Castle
Hotel.

Yep, it's just a normal movie theater that shows current movies. Ticket prices are typical
of local, reserved seat theaters - $20. They won't show Cars 3 - Disney owns the theater
across the street and has exclusive rights to show Disney movies.
You never know, but you're right that Disney does own the El Capitan Theatre. I checked the history and there have been a few Disney releases premiering at the Chinese Theater, like Dr Strange and The Force Awakens.

Check out the Hollywood & Highland shopping area which is right nearby, there is a spot with great views of the Hollywood sign :) As for hotels, the Loews Hollywood Hotel is right there. I went to a conference there (stayed elsewhere because they were full) and it looked nice.

It's a regular (very expensive) theater. If you're willing to spend a bunch of money for the experience, go see the footprints at the Chinese and then see the movie across the street at the El Capitan, where they have special exhibits and pre-shows for the new releases. Then get ice cream at Ghiradelli's next door!

Forgot hotels, we've stayed at the Loews Hollywood several times for Christmas parties and it's really nice, but it's just a standard hotel so no special theming or anything. The Roosevelt is also nice, with more of that old Hollywood charm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter