The CCS Virtual Cookbook Main Dishes and Side Dishes

kaylajr

Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
Main Dishes and Side Dishes (including marinades and dressings)

Post your favorite recipes here for all to see....

Whatever you want You can even include a picture of the finished product if you want just remember if the picture turns into one of those annoying little red X for more than 48 hours we will have to remove it until the hosting problem can be fixed

Check out the other two cookbooks too....

It's a toss-up between these two for my all-time favorite recipe. The first started out as someone else's recipe, but as usual I made modifications based on our likes/dislikes & what was missing from or in my spice cupboard. ;) The second is from my favorite restaurant on the planet...Boma! :teeth:

Spicy-Orange Grilled Shrimp

1 lb shrimp
½ c lime juice
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (way too much…probably s/b 1 tsp)
2½ Tbl balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl black pepper
1/3 c orange marmalade
2 Tbl oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 Tbl cilantro
1 tsp orange peel
garlic, minced (I just use a heaping soup spoon full – we like garlic! :teeth:)

Mix oil, vinegar, & lime juice together in a sauce pan & heat on a medium setting. Add marmalade, Tabasco sauce, salt, & black pepper then mix well. Add cilantro, garlic & orange peel. Remove from heat. (Alternately, don't bother to heat - just whisk it really well before adding cilantro, garlic & peel.)

Arrange shrimp in a deep glass dish, pour marinade mixture over them, cover, refrigerate for 6-24 hrs., then grill on BBQ until done. (Less time is required - maybe 6-8 hrs - if using cooked shrimp.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FLANK STEAK MARINADE
from Boma, AKL
Yield: enough to marinate about 1½ lb steak

¼ c ginger
½ Tbl thyme
2 Tbl garlic, minced
¾ tsp turmeric, ground
2 Tbl sugar
¾ tsp crushed pepper
¾ tsp cardamom, ground
¼ c soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
½ Tbl coriander, ground
½ Tbl Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add steak and marinate for 24 hours.
[NOTE: This is very thick – more like a paste than a “normal” marinade.]

With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought I'd post 2 recipes we really like for side dishes. Of course we still have the traditional green bean casserole! :teeth:

This is an old PA Dutch recipe, but is neither sweet nor sour. We don't often dress up our veggies except on holidays, but this is something my kids ask for throughout the year.

Corn Pudding

2 c grated corn
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl butter
1 Tbl flour
1 c milk

The original says "fresh corn preferred" but I always use frozen & use the blender to "grate". I only grate until it is sort of like creamed corn - not totally mush. It screws up the baking time if you don't defrost the corn first though. (I know, I've tried it! ;)) Doubling the recipe also extends the baking time - if you use one dish.

Grate corn & add salt, sugar, pepper, flour & melted butter. Add beaten eggs & milk. Pour into a greased baking dish & bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serves 6.

It is done when the center is "set" - like any custard - & a knife comes out clean.

- - - - - - - - - -

Before our stay at AKL, none of us were what I'd call adventurous eaters. We tended to stick with the basics - and anything that looked odd or had an odd-sounding name was general a hard sell...not just for the kids, but for us as well. So Fufu was not on our list of things to try at Boma. :rolleyes: However, once we were there everyone fell in love with this restaurant & tried everything they had to offer! :teeth: I can't have candied yams/sweet potatoes, but this satisfies my need for them!

FUFU
Yield: 8 servings

1 lb Sweet Potatoes, peeled, diced medium
1 lb Potatoes, peeled, diced medium
To taste Salt and Pepper
2 Tbl Coriander, roasted*
2 Tbl Cinnamon, toasted*
¼ c Sugar*
¼ c Butter

Steam all of the tubers until tender. In a mixer mash everything together. Check the seasoning, adjust if needed. Make sure the potatoes are cooked well.

[NOTE: This turns out too dry if you don't add some liquid. I just used the liquid from steaming the potatoes - no need for milk.]

* I buy my spices already ground so I didn't roast or toast them. It's still wonderful that way. Also, I tend to cut way back on sugar in most recipes. I used 2 Tbl one year when I didn't have Splenda & it was fine. Now I use Splenda instead & use even less.

ok, this is actually bread, so i guess that would be a side item.
MEXICAN CORN BREAD
2 eggs
1 cup cream style corn
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 cup of oil (i use canola)
1 cup self rising cornmeal
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, i chop mine very fine(in a food processer)sometimes i use a little more peppers.

mix everything together, spray pan with pam. i like to put mine in muffin pans, but you could put in one big pan. bake at 350 until they look pretty golden on top, muffin pan takes about 35-45 minutes about an hour on regular pan.

i always have to make these for family holiday get togethers.

Edit - found what I was looking for by using the 'search' function....

One day at the Food & Wine Festival we got in line for a food demonstration. It was supposed to be a pastry chef from a fancy hotel in Las Vegas. Well, that chef cancelled & a Disney chef stepped in. My initial reaciotn was to be disappointed, but that disappointment did not last long !

Dylan Schauwecker from the Land Pavilion at EPCOT was our guest chef. His mom is Korean & his dad is German. He made Korean Beefsteak Barbecue & Korean Cucumber Salad. I am not a cucmber person, so I gave my sample to the lady sitting next to me. The beef was sooooo good, & I made it for dinner last night.

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 pounds boneless rib steak, cut into very thin slices (5"-6" long & 2" wide)
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped fine
3 scallions cut into 1"pieces
1 teaspoon Korean sesame oil

1. Mix the beef, sugar & pepper together; let rest for two minutes & then add the soy sauce, garlic, scallions & seaame oil. Toss the mixture well to integrate all the flavors, & let it stand at room temperature for a minimum of one hour (or overnight in the refrigerator) to allow the meat to mature.

2. Preheat a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat for two minutes (no oil). Add the beef slices, a few at a time, & sear them without oil for 2 or 3 minutes at most. Of course, in summer, this may be done outdoors over charcoal. Another alternate method is to grill the beef in a very hot gas or electric boiler.

3. Serve immediately with white sticky rice & an assortment of side dishes.

Dylan used flank steak. He said it marinates/tenderizes well & that Disney uses a lot of flank steak. I used flank steak last night. This was soooo good!

Slaw Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another variation that my family enjoys.

1 10 oz bag of slaw mix (shredded angel cut is best)
1 bunch chopped green onion (I usually use less)
Ramen Noodles (1 pkg Ramen Soup, I use oriental flavor)
1/2 - 1 cup sunflower seeds
1 pkg slivered/blanched almonds

Brown ramen noodles in 2 tablespoons margarine.
Toast almonds under broiler (watch carefully)

Dressing
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 package of seasoning from ramen noodles

Mix together with dressing JUST before serving.
**Not real good leftover because everything gets soggy.

Swiss Fried Potatoes

This is from Betty Crocker's New International Cookbook. The recipe states, "Potatoes are cooked, shredded and flavored with Gruyere cheese, and then pressed to form a flat, crisp cake that is famous the world over."

4 med. potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.)
1/4 c. margarine or butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 c. diced Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. water

Heat 1 inch salted water (in measures of 1/2 t. salt per 1 c. water) to boiling. Add unpeeled potatoes. Heat to boiling again; reduce heat. Cover and cook until tender, 30-35 minutes. Peel and shred potatoes or cut into 1/4-inch strips.

Heat margarine in 10-inch skillet until melted. Add potatoes, onion and cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered over medium heat, turning frequently, until potatoes start to brown, about 10 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 T. margarine to prevent sticking, if necessary.)

Press potatoes with spatula to form flat cake; sprinkle with water. Cover and cook over low heat, without stirring, until bottom is golden brown and crusty, about 10 minutes. Place inverted platter over skillet; invert potatoes onto platter. 4 to 6 servings. My Note: I usually cheat and use a bag of Orieda hash browns and an 8-oz. package of Swiss cheese. The taste is absolutely wonderful!! I love the Swiss, but you could use any kind of cheese you wanted. This recipe's a keeper.

Candied Carrots

This is one of the veggies that's always on our holiday tables. Even the little kids keep coming back for more, and it's my daughter-in-law's favorite. I usually double the amounts given.

16 to 20-oz. whole baby carrots
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
1/4 t. salt

Place butter and brown sugar in saucepan. Heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add honey and salt. Add carrots, stirring well to coat with the mixture. Cook over low heat until carrots are tender, and glaze is thickened and coats all the carrots.

This recipe is a little extra work, but it's all worth it when you take your first bite. And, it's not nearly as difficult as it may look. A man I worked with years ago gave me the recipe, and I've been fixin' it every since.

Mom's Lasagna

1 pkg. (1 lb.) curly lasagna
4 oz. (1 c.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or more)
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (or more)
Tomato Meat Sauce (recipe below)
Cream Sauce (recipe below)

Cook the lasagna according to package directions. Turn into a colander to drain; run hot tap water over lasagna pieces if they stick together.

Into a 5-quart baking dish (16x9 1/2x2 1/2”) or a roasting pan (about 17x11x2 1/4”), pour 1/3 of the hot Tomato Meat Sauce. Lay 1/2 of the lasagna pieces (6 or 7) crosswise in the pan over the sauce, doubling where necessary and turning under any upstanding edges.

Spread 1/3 of the remaining Tomato Meat Sauce over the lasagna; sprinkle with 1/2 of the parmesan and 1/2 of the mozzarella. Spread hot Cream Sauce over the mozzarella. Top with remaining lasagna pieces as above.

Spoon dollops of the ricotta cheese over the lasagna. Spread with remaining Tomato Meat Sauce; sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.

Bake in preheated oven (375 degrees) until bubbling and cheese is melted (about 30 minutes).

Tomato Meat Sauce

1/4 c. olive oil
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed (I use more)
1 lb. lean ground chuck
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1 bay leaf
1 can (l lb. 12 oz.) tomatoes
2 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
1 T. salt
Pepper to taste
1 t. dried crumbled oregano

In a 10” skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, beef, and pork. Cook over moderate heat, crumbling meat with fork tines into tiny particles until meat loses its red color. Transfer to 5-qt. saucepot. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and continue simmering, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes, for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Skim fat from top if necessary. Or make sauce ahead, cover and refrigerate; remove hardened fat. Reheat so sauce is hot when lasagna is assembled.

Cream Sauce

In a 1 qt. saucepan over low heat, melt 1/4 c. butter; stir in 1/4 c. flour. Add 2 c. milk. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and bubbles. Or make sauce ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Reheat so sauce is hot when lasagna is assembled.

Great steak marindae recipe! This is one of our favorite recipes and it works great on the grill, broiler and george foreman.

1- flank steak 1-2 pounds

1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce

1 tsp of garlic powder

1 tsp of ginger

2 tsp's of honey

a couple of shakes of dried minced onion and a couple of shakes of crushed red pepper flakes.

Mix all marinade ingredients together and pour over steak in a zip loc bag. I usually try and prepare this in the morning, the longer it marinates the better it tastes.

Enjoy

Vickey in NH :wizard: :earsgirl: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo :darth: :chewy: pooh: :smickey:

I just made this tonight for supper and thought I'd share the recipe with everyone else.

CHICKEN CORNBREAD SOUIZA BAKE...

THE WHAT TO HAVES
1/2 cup butter or margie
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can cream corn
1 egg
2 1/3 cups cooked chicken ( I use 2 large cans of the canned chicken)
8 ounce shredded cheese ( I use much more...can never have too much cheese...)
1 onion finely chopped
1 can kernel corn
1 box cornbread mix (I use jiffy but it doesnt matter)
2 tablespoons green chili's (these are not the hot ones and I use a whole small can)

THE WHAT TO DO'S...
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x13 dish. Saute butter, onion and garlic until tender and set aside. Combine both corns and egg, beat in cornbread mix. Fold in onion mixture and pour into greased dish. Combine chicken, chiles, sour cream and spoon over corn mixture to within 1" of edge. Sprinkle top with cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

I could take a pic of the one I just made but someone would have to post it as I dont have a pic hosting place.

Girl Scouts will remember this easy dish.
You need one egg and one piece of bread and buttered to taste.
Take a biscuit or favorite shaped cookie cutter and cut out a shape from the midddle of buttered bread.

Place the cut out piece of bread and the origional piece of bread in a preheated skillet, crack the egg into the whole left in the bread, using a fork to scrable the egg a bit. Flip over and brown, you have a "One Eye". My kids love this recipe.

brutie- how much sour cream? It's not listed in the ingredients, but it is listed at the top of the recipe. Thanks!

MUSHROOM STUFFING

At least 8 slices buttered white bread
approx 2 tablespoons olive oil
dab of butter
½ pound button mushrooms, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tablespoons parsley
1 cup chicken stock

Butter bread. Turn the broiler to high and toast the bread for approx 2 minutes, or until brown. Set aside. When cool, cut bread into cubes.

Over medium high heat, add approx 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and dab of butter. Add celery and carrots and sauté until veggies start to get tender. Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and parsley. Add mushrooms and cook until veggies are tender, stirring frequently. Check if more salt and pepper is needed. Add bread that has been cut into cubes. Moisten stuffing with chicken stock. Mix well and serve.

PHYLLO WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
Paula Deen

8 or 9 asparagus spears, depending on size
1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. Unwrap the phyllo and cut the stack in half lengthwise. Reserve 1 stack for later use. Cover the phyllo with a damp towel to keep it from drying out. Take 1 sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with some melted butter. Sprinkle with some Parmesan. Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on the short end of the sheet. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with more Parmesan. Repeat until all the asparagus spears are used up. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Beef Fajita Burgers
1 1/3 lbs ground sirloin
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 t ground cumin
2 to 3 T fresh thyme leaves (I leave this out)
Several Drops Tabasco
1 T grill seasoning (she uses McCormick's Montreal STeak Seasoning -I use Lawry's)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Seared Peppers and Onions
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 red and/or green peppers, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped ( I often leave this out)
salsa

Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium high heat.

In a large bowl combine ground meat, Worcestershire sauce,chili powder,
,ground cumin,thyme leaves,Several Drops Tabasco,grill seasoning. Divide into 4 portions and make 4 patties, 1" thick. Drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 4 min on each side for medium, or until desired doneness.

To make peppers and onions, heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add olive oil, peppers and onions. Stir fry to sear them at the edges. Add garlic and jalapenos. Toss and turn the mixture about 3 minutes, then add the salsa and toss for 1 min longer. Place burgers on bun and top with pepper and onion mixture and top bun.

Enjoy!

Katy

Garlic Lime Chicken
Serves 6

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons lime juice
In a bowl, mix together first 6 ingredients. Sprinkle mixture on both sides of chicken breasts.

In a skillet heat butter and olive oil together over medium high heat. Saute chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Turn down the heat, remove the chicken (keeping warm) and add the lime juice and chicken broth to the pan, whisking up the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Keep cooking until sauce has reduced slightly. Add chicken back to the pan to thoroughly coat and serve.
------------
I ususally cut the chicken into strips and then put the seasoning mixture in a zip lock and "shake" the chicken in the seasoning.
Yummy...
Katy

Baked Salmon Dijon (even my picky DD6 and DS2 eats this up and it is quick to prepare and cook)

1 C fat free sour cream
2 tsp dried dill
3 T green onions, chopped
2 T dijon mustard
2 T lemon juice
2# salmon fillet, skin on (it's turned out fine with the skin off too)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
cooking spray

Whisk sour cream, dill, green onions, lemon juice, and dijon mustard together in large bowl until well blended. Preheat oven to 400 and spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place salmon skin side down on baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper; then spread with sour cream sauce. Bake until salmon is opaque in center, about 20 minutes.

Especially good with Uncle Ben's Wild Rice on the side!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!