• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Bucket List Trip - AUG 21 – 28, 2010

walnutthewise

Earning My Ears
INTRODUCTION

One look at my post count will tell you that I am new here, but I decided to introduce myself with pre-trip report. First, allow me to introduce myself and explain how I found myself. I am in my mid-20s and have only been to WDW once when I was 8 years old. Before going on this trip, my mom bought Birnbaum’s Official Guide to Walt Disney World for Kids for my brother and me. She let us plan our days at EPCOT and what was then Disney-MGM Studios. The trip was amazing and it turned me into a WDW fanatic for life. My brother lives in LA so I have visited Disneyland several times. Two years ago, I took my wife to Disneyland and California Adventure for her first Disney park experiences and she loved it. Recently, the World has been calling my name and I want to go before we have kids. If just my wife and I went, it would be a fantastic trip, but I wanted something bigger.

My hometown is in the panhandle of Florida. A few years ago I moved away from my two best friends (Nick and Kyle) to Virginia. As an adult, it has been really hard to make close friends because of life’s busy schedule. I try to hang out with my friends from FL whenever possible, but the long distance makes these occasions rare and I want more. Early in the fall, I proposed that we all take a vacation unlike any we have ever experienced. A week of my best friends together with our significant others at the best place on Earth: Walt Disney World. Though they are not obsessive over WDW like I am, they all love the idea. There was another reason I wanted to take this trip.

I recently made a list of the things that I want to do before I die, or a bucket list if the name suites you. As an optimist, I changed the list’s title to “Things I am going to do.” Some may think it is better to make such list at wiser age, but the ominous nature of our mortality is present in my every footstep and I could not wait any longer. I completed some of the items on the list already; for example, meeting and marrying my soul mate. However, there are some activities that remain to be checked off. One of those items is going to one of my favorite places on earth (Disney) with my favorite friends on earth. If I was dying, this adventure would be my last wish. For the record and incase any of you reading are wondering: I am not dying! I just want to make sure I do all the things I want to do before that event arrives. Now that you have some perspective, on to the details!

THE CAST:

Drew (myself)
Becca (my wife)
Nick (Best Friend)
Grace (Nicks’ Wife)
Kyle (Best Friend)
Devinn (Kyle’s Girlfriend)

WHEN:

August 21 – 28

WHERE: (details coming soon)

Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary – 2 Bedroom Villa

ITINERARY:

• What Park? What Day? The Serious Questions… (details coming soon)
  • Where to Dine for Six People Plus Dining Plan Dicussions (details coming soon)
  • DAY 1 – Arrive > Downtown Disney (details coming soon)
  • DAY 2 – Disney Hollywood Studios (details coming soon)
  • DAY 3 – EPCOT (details coming soon)
  • DAY 4 – Blizzard Beach > Hoop-De-Doo Review (details coming soon)
  • DAY 5 – Wizarding World of Harry Potter > Islands of Adventure (details coming soon)
  • DAY 6 – Animal Kingdom > California Grill (details coming soon)
  • DAY 7 – Magic Kingdom (details coming soon)
  • It’s All in the Details or “Making a Touring Plan” (details coming soon)

THE CAST OF CHARACTERS

Drew (myself) - the one planning it all. The Conductor, the Maestro, the Orchestrator, the Initiator….or so I like to think.

Becca (My Wife) – I haven’t figured all the acronyms everyone uses on the site. I am guessing DH means Disney-Husband, so Becca would be my DW – Disney –Wife? That works for me. She has been to Disneyland once and her favorite ride was Space Mountain (good choice). She is very excited about the trip, but is almost sick of hearing about it when I ramble on about which counter-service to choose in DHS.

Nick (Best Friend) – Nick owns a martial arts school and is the most headstrong member of the bunch. He can be pretty wild and crazy and I am hoping this aspect of his personality comes out during the trip. It will make interacting with the casts members and some of my dining choices a lot of fun!

Grace (Nick’s Wife) – We knew Grace was perfect for Nick as soon as she hung out with the three of us (Nick, Kyle, and me) and could handle our eccentric behavior. Also, she gets along swimmingly with Becca so that is a huge plus. She and Nick went to Disney for their honeymoon, and I am hoping that I can coordinate this trip with enough grace to experience WDW in a new light.

Kyle (Best Friend) – Kyle recently returned from duty in Iraq. He is Air Force Special Forces and will be our protection throughout the trip. At first, we thought he would be the fifth wheel alongside two married couples, but in the last few months, he found his first love. As soon as I knew he had someone special, she had to come with us to complete the party. Kyle has been to WDW during Christmas (which I warned him about), so I hope this trip will be less crazy in the parks for him.

Devinn (Kyle’s Girlfriend and One of Grace’s Best Friends) - I have only met Devinn once when I went to one of Nick’s Tae-Kwon-Do tournaments, but I think she is an excellent addition to the party. I have no idea if she has been to WDW before, but I am sure she will have fun either way.

None of us have kids yet, so it is a party of six young adults being kids again!

WHEN ARE WE GOING? (AUGUST 21 – 28)

When to go was not a difficult decision. Summer is easier for us because Becca and Grace are in college. Even though their classes might have already started, it would be early in the semester and not hard to catch up. However, I did not want the huge summer crowds, so I made the executive decision of going in late August. From multiple sources, this seems to be a great time to go where the crowds are a bit lighter. Reports of the heat during this time are intense. The majority of our party is either living in FL or lived in FL for the majority of their life, so I believe we can handle the heat. I also wanted a full week to experience all the parks and a couple of days for extra things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter