The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Um... It looks like you are seeing The Band's Visit twice? I didn't like it enough to see twice. Friends of mine who saw it a few days after I did said they didn't care for it either. (I debated whether or not to mention this. I don't like to be negative. But if you do have tickets to see it twice, and you are kicking yourself later because you didn't make other arrangements, I would feel bad.)

Nope not seeing it twice, we have season tickets to PPAC in Providence, and TBV is part of the package. I think someone else mentioned they're seeing it but it wasn't me - It takes a LOT for me to see a show multiple times!

Have you already seen The Band's Visit?

I have not. I normally see shows multiple times so booking The Band’s Visit twice before seeing it is normal for me. Normally my first time is taking everything in then the second time is to really focus on what’s happening on stage. I’ve seen Once On This Island 5 times now and I’ve noticed things each time that I didn’t see before. The only shows I’ve absoutely hates and refuse to see twice are Chicago and The Book of Mormon. Everything else I’ve seen Id see again.

I have not. I normally see shows multiple times so booking The Band’s Visit twice before seeing it is normal for me. Normally my first time is taking everything in then the second time is to really focus on what’s happening on stage. I’ve seen Once On This Island 5 times now and I’ve noticed things each time that I didn’t see before. The only shows I’ve absoutely hates and refuse to see twice are Chicago and The Book of Mormon. Everything else I’ve seen Id see again.

Okay, you have a normal practice then.

I saw Once On This Island twice, from different parts of the theater, and I didn't notice anything different except that it was more fun when we were in the front row with our feet in the sand. I want to see Come From Away again but I'm not sure I can fit it in my schedule when I'm in NYC. I don't live near a big city, so nothing exciting ever comes through here on tour.

Not very happy with the Clueless adaptation. I watched the little trailer and it just sounds awful. Anyone see it to let me know if it is better?

Okay, you have a normal practice then.

I saw Once On This Island twice, from different parts of the theater, and I didn't notice anything different except that it was more fun when we were in the front row with our feet in the sand. I want to see Come From Away again but I'm not sure I can fit it in my schedule when I'm in NYC. I don't live near a big city, so nothing exciting ever comes through here on tour.

I’ve seen it 3 times from the sand and 2 times from the last row in different areas of the theatre. The best seat honestly was the back row! You see everything! I love the back row when the storm happens. That was the best view so far.

I haven’t seen Come From Away. My coworker keeps bugging me to go but one day I will! I live outside of Philly and honestly it’s safer to take the train to NYC and see something than walk the streets in Philly and risk getting killed.

Not very happy with the Clueless adaptation. I watched the little trailer and it just sounds awful. Anyone see it to let me know if it is better?

I wanted to see it but I couldn’t justify buying tickets for something that might be a waste of money. I haven’t read anything good or bad yet. BroadwayWorld has a message board that might give you some reviews.

Last weekend I saw the touring productions of School of Rock and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

Although both were performed by very talented people, School of Rock was a dud. I laughed only a handful of times and the songs are among Andrew Lloyd Webber's most forgettable.

The Chocolate Factory, I found very entertaining. They did a nice job of adapting the original movie for the stage.

I live outside of Philly and honestly it’s safer to take the train to NYC and see something than walk the streets in Philly and risk getting killed.

Huh?? Philly's theaters and performance venues are not in any way, shape, or form in bad parts of town. As with any city, you have to be aware of your surroundings and not do anything reckless. But your comment is really ridiculous.

Last edited:
I wanted to see it but I couldn’t justify buying tickets for something that might be a waste of money. I haven’t read anything good or bad yet. BroadwayWorld has a message board that might give you some reviews.
From the reviews I read, it was alright. Nothing super special. I just thought rewriting songs was just stupid. Of course I am a huge brat when it comes to my theater. :rolleyes1

Last weekend I saw the touring productions of School of Rock and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

Although both were performed by very talented people, School of Rock was a dud. I laughed only a handful of times and the songs are among Andrew Lloyd Webber's most forgettable.

The Chocolate Factory, I found very entertaining. They did a nice job of adapting the original movie for the stage.
Totally agree on School of Rock. Some of the kids were amazing but the show itself just didn’t cut it.

So on Wednesday evening I took my 89 year old mom to see Wicked- she has been asking to see it for awhile. We get to about 2 songs past intermission and she leans over and says "I feel a little dizzy"- I reached over her to feel her pulse in her neck to see if her heart was beating normally and she sighs and says o boy. Her eyes roll up into her head, her mouth drops open and she goes limp- she is now cold and clammy and unconscious. I jump up and start loudly saying " I need help please help" - lady next to me gathers my mom in her arms so she doesn fall forward out of the seat and I run to the lobby again yelling that I needed help- the usher comes running over and the manager- I tell them what is happening and we go back in the theater and 5 people are now gathered around my mom in the seat, 2 men ask if they should carry her out and I said yes. They laid her down on the lobby floor and at this point I thought she was dead. A dr comes out of the theater, a nurse comes out, 2 clergywomen from Oklahoma come out of the theater all to help. Dr says she has a pulse and after about 5 minutes she starts coming around- EMS took about 15 minutes to get there, they hooked her up to an EKG and she was in Atrial fibrillation- they took us to Mt. Siani hospital and they admitted her and kept her until the next afternoon, they released her to go see her own Dr's here on Long Island. At that point she was still pretty week so I couldn't put her in a cab and take her to Penn on the train so I ended up calling an uber for the most expensive uber ride of my life LOL. I can't believe how many people came out of the theater and missed almost the entire second act to help her and also to stay with me (I was a wreck, my hand shaking so much I couldn't even hold a soda!). The clergywomen were so sweet, they offered to pray with me but I am actually an atheist so I just asked them to pray with my mom because that was more her thing than mine. Thinking back I know I didn't even thank the Dr or the nurse that came out or one of the men who carried her out but I truly appreciated every one of them. One of the men that carried her out stopped by the ambulance as they were loading my mom into it and said he hoped everything will work out- then I recognized him and thanked him for his help!
The funniest part is when they released her from the hospital she asks me "is that show on again today"- I was like "no way in hell are we going to see that show today!!" She really wants to see the end!!

So on Wednesday evening I took my 89 year old mom to see Wicked- she has been asking to see it for awhile. We get to about 2 songs past intermission and she leans over and says "I feel a little dizzy"- I reached over her to feel her pulse in her neck to see if her heart was beating normally and she sighs and says o boy. Her eyes roll up into her head, her mouth drops open and she goes limp- she is now cold and clammy and unconscious. I jump up and start loudly saying " I need help please help" - lady next to me gathers my mom in her arms so she doesn fall forward out of the seat and I run to the lobby again yelling that I needed help- the usher comes running over and the manager- I tell them what is happening and we go back in the theater and 5 people are now gathered around my mom in the seat, 2 men ask if they should carry her out and I said yes. They laid her down on the lobby floor and at this point I thought she was dead. A dr comes out of the theater, a nurse comes out, 2 clergywomen from Oklahoma come out of the theater all to help. Dr says she has a pulse and after about 5 minutes she starts coming around- EMS took about 15 minutes to get there, they hooked her up to an EKG and she was in Atrial fibrillation- they took us to Mt. Siani hospital and they admitted her and kept her until the next afternoon, they released her to go see her own Dr's here on Long Island. At that point she was still pretty week so I couldn't put her in a cab and take her to Penn on the train so I ended up calling an uber for the most expensive uber ride of my life LOL. I can't believe how many people came out of the theater and missed almost the entire second act to help her and also to stay with me (I was a wreck, my hand shaking so much I couldn't even hold a soda!). The clergywomen were so sweet, they offered to pray with me but I am actually an atheist so I just asked them to pray with my mom because that was more her thing than mine. Thinking back I know I didn't even thank the Dr or the nurse that came out or one of the men who carried her out but I truly appreciated every one of them. One of the men that carried her out stopped by the ambulance as they were loading my mom into it and said he hoped everything will work out- then I recognized him and thanked him for his help!
The funniest part is when they released her from the hospital she asks me "is that show on again today"- I was like "no way in hell are we going to see that show today!!" She really wants to see the end!!

Oh wow, what a scary experience! I'm glad you had so many people willing to help, and that she got released from the hospital. And that's awesome that she wants to go back and see the end! LOL :)

Got to see Ashley Brown in concert tonight at the Kennedy Center--she's fantastic. She needs to come back to Broadway!

How scary. So glad she is doing better. What amazing people to make sure she was ok.

...my DS took his future wife to see Aladdin last night on Broadway....they said it was FABULOUS! [...he's still trying to figure out how they got that magic carpet to fly, since neither of them could detect any wires...:confused3 ]

...my DS took his future wife to see Aladdin last night on Broadway....they said it was FABULOUS! [...he's still trying to figure out how they got that magic carpet to fly, since neither of them could detect any wires...:confused3 ]

Me too! I saw it on tour in Chicago and it was an amazing effect. Course I was *way* up in the cheap seats, but I still can't figure out how they did it.

Sorry I haven't read this thread prior and maybe I should start a separate one.
Only my 2nd time to NYC.
Any where to get discounts on Come From Away?

Only my 2nd time to NYC.

This might be of interest to you:
http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-rush-lottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-com-116003

Also, you can put the TKTS app on your phone. You can't buy tickets through the app, but if you watch it for a few days you will get a sense of which shows tend to be available at the TKTS booth.

Only my 2nd time to NYC.

I have seen discount codes on both Theatremania as well as others. It is often available at the TKTS booth too! Hope you get to see it, as it is a wonderful show.

Me too! I saw it on tour in Chicago and it was an amazing effect. Course I was *way* up in the cheap seats, but I still can't figure out how they did it.
...they had first row mezzanine
and were amazed by all the effects...​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!