The Best Trip Ever!

Alex Coleman

Mouseketeer

Sarah and I went to Walt Disney World for 10 days! We love all our trips, but this trip is by far our favorite. Since we stepped foot in Central Florida October 2016, we have dreamed of continually making these extended pilgrimages to our magical home.

The entire dynamic changes when we get to spend so much time at WDW in one trip. We go from rushing to relaxing. We get to enjoy so many different aspects of the Disney World experience during these trips that we usually do not have time to experience. During our short trips we usually have to spend days split between parks (but that usually isn’t an issue with Hollywood Studios). During our short trips we usually get to experience only two nighttime spectaculars (Happily Ever After and Fantasmic!).

If you have reached this page, you are in for a real treat! This will be, by far, our most exhaustive trip report. This report will include a step-by-step look at all 10 days of our trip, including Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. I will also give you a brief review of all the restaurants at which we indulged ourselves and all 8 resorts in which we stayed. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of pictures to go along with this report! In the space of 10 days, I may have taken roughly 10,000 photos. So get ready to enjoy!

We had a great time and I am excited to share all of our adventures with you! This trip report will have several parts, so stay tuned. Click the links below for each part of the report.

Last edited:
We Can't Believe We are Back!

This particular trip was roughly 300 days in the making. We knew that we would come back to WDW for a long stay after we got back in October 2016. The problem was that 13 months is a lifetime between long trips. That is why we decided to invest all our spare money into shorter vacations starting in June. If you want to read about our previous trips, check out our June, July, or September 2017 Trip Reports! I did my customary planning routine. I looked at Touring Plans, I looked at the park schedule, and I looked at my work calendar. This led to either the week before Thanksgiving Week or the week after. As you can read in my When Should I Go? post, I think that November is the best month for visiting Walt Disney World. I also happened to have a lull in Student Life, so we went for it.

What Sarah and I were not prepared for was my obsession with staying at all the Disney-owned resorts. This was an evil plot that was hatched around August 2017. We had just gotten back from two trips in rapid succession and my deep-seeded desire to see and do it all had gotten the better of me. Sarah was completely opposed, but ended up coming around to my side. To be frank, I shamelessly bribed her. To my surprise, it even worked! :)

After hours on the phone with Cast Members (I would like to think I am headed to the CM hall of fame for my persistence), we eventually landed on a list of resorts which was...exhaustive. We stayed in Disney’s Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, All-Star Movies, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, and Port Orleans- French Quarter.

Getting To the Magic
With that overwhelming reality in mind, we hitched a ride to the airport with one of my students. Our flight was early, but not as early as it usually is. Normally, we are on a 5am flight from Chicago to Orlando. This flight was so late! It left at 7:30am! By the time we landed at MCO, it was 10:30am. During our trips, I have gotten into a fun routine of tweeting Walt Disney World and MCO when we land and them responding. Like magic, they re-tweeted me within the hour!

Even though you may have laughed at my previous whining about arriving so “late” to Orlando, this did actually present us with a small problem. By the time we got to the Disney’s Magical Express queue, there was a massive crowd anxiously awaiting their motorcoach to WDW. Sarah and I have become so spoiled during our previous trips. We have sauntered onto mostly empty buses with very little wait. That was not the reality on this trip. We waited roughly an hour to get onto our motorcoach and we occupied the last available seats.

I love the feeling we get when our motorcoach rounds onto West Osceola Ave. I love turning off the turnpike and seeing the Gaylord Palms Resort. Sarah and I both light up passing the Welcome to Walt Disney World arch. This quick barrage of emotion, set to the Disney propaganda on the video screen, truly marks the beginning of the magic for us. It is amazing that this feeling rarely fades.

As we drooled anxiously, we exited the bus to Disney’s Art of Animation Resort. As I have stated in previous trip reports, there is no requirement to exit DME at your home resort. Especially if you had Disney grab your bags from MCO, you can get off at any of the stops. We exited the motorcoach and jumped on another bus to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom Afternoons

It was about noon when we entered the park. We had a Fastpass+ for Na’vi River Journey so we headed to Pandora. Sarah and I always discover something new and exciting on this attraction. There are so many details that it makes riding it a new experience every time. Even though we have no idea what any of the words to “The Shaman’s Song” are, we hummed the tune as we headed for lunch.

This trip was all about doing new things. Even though we really wanted to eat at Satu’li Canteen for the 100th time, we decided to try Pizzafari. We have very serious research to do! Our valiant pursuit of information ended in great success. We encountered not only great food, but beautiful theming. Sarah got the Pepperoni Flatbread and I went with the slightly more adventurous Shrimp Flatbread. We also decided we hated our future selves enough to order more food. We got an order of Garlic Knots as a snack. The flatbreads were excellent, especially the Shrimp Flatbread.

After lunch, we had some time to kill before our next Fastpass+ selection. We started by going on a trek through the Maharajah jungle. We saw Komodo dragons and a tiger. The Komodo dragon was a fun picture because he was just laying out on a rock. Classic Friday, am I right?

After we emerged from the jungle, it was time to get my favorite snack, cinnamon glazed almonds. We munched as we walked towards Festival of the Lion King. We arrived at the far end of the Africa pavilion 5 minutes before showtime. This usually means that we sit at the very top row of the theater. Fortunately, we found plenty of room in the third row! I clicked my shutter on my camera as we considered how lucky we were.

After we were done singing along with Simba, Timon, Pumba, and the rest of the animal kingdom, we decided to see our favorite stage show in the entire world. This is a crown that we do not relinquish lightly! We saw Aladdin at Disney’s California Adventure roughly 1000 times! ;) I believe there is decent evidence here to call it our favorite. We find ourselves mindlessly singing, “IN THE BIIIG BLUE WORLD!” and “GO WITH THE FLOOOOW!” all the time. We are slightly obsessed. I believe we are obsessed for good reason. I think this show is excellent. The costuming is fun, the story is engaging, and the songs are ridiculously catchy. My mark of a good show is that “stuck in your head” factor. Finding Nemo has that in excess.

After we were done, we decided that we needed sleep more than we needed to Kilimanjaro Safaris or Expedition Everest. I decided to push our Fastpass+ back for the former, and just miss the latter. We boarded the Disney bus with the chattiest driver of all time. We sat in the front seats as the driver explained everything from how the buses are assigned to the fact that the buses do not have a fuel gauge. This information was really interesting! We emerged from the bus at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort so much more knowledgeable.

Finally an Evening in Animal Kingdom

We settled into our room and took a well-deserved nap. We awoke just in time to get back to AK for Kilimanjaro Safaris and dinner at Tusker House Restaurant. I enjoy taking our safari in the late afternoon. I have found that the animals are much more active at this time. The best part of this expedition was that we saw and heard that majesty of a roaring male lion. Interestingly, the lion’s roar is completely different in-person. Our safari guide told us that the lion’s roar that you see before movies is, in fact, a tiger’s roar. He roared as we rolled on and finished our experience.

We walked through the Africa pavilion and checked in at Tusker House. While I took pictures, Sarah settled in at the table. I really like Tusker House, but it’s not Sarah’s favorite. I really love the aggressive and interesting flavors. Sarah doesn’t care for curry, so many of the dishes don’t do it for her. We ate everything from Yellow Curry Shrimp to Pork Shoulder with Mustard Sauce. These were two things we both particularly enjoyed. The curry was super spicy, which I love. The only disappointing part of the meal, food wise, was the dessert selection. We made up for that by consuming a small nation’s supply of jalapeno cornbread.

This visit to Tusker House was also another step on Sarah and Alex’s journey towards not hating taking pictures with characters. We both looked at each other as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Daisy approached and smiled. We made meaningless small talk with a character that could not respond, and we took our pictures. Goofy was particularly fun to “interact” with. We took our photos and left satisfied.

After we were done with dinner, we walked to Pandora to take long-exposure shots. This is another experience that I was unable to check-off my list because of our previous stays being so brief. We could not sacrifice a night of Happily Ever After or Fantasmic! to take pictures. We did not have this issue with a 10-day visit! I dodged crowds and took some really fun pictures on our Nikon D7500. I left mostly satisfied with our work.

Sarah tried to take pictures on our Nikon D3400 without a tripod. Unfortunately, that camera struggles massively in low-light. We were depressed to find her pictures were incredibly noisy. Dang! We loaded on the bus and headed back to our resort to sleep.

When we got back, we realized we still had three snack credits to use. As you will discover as you read this report, the dining plan is really difficult to navigate when you resort hop. Roughly halfway through our trip, we figured out the trick. We figured out we needed to use every credit on the dining plan before the new reservation’s credits would be available for use. Hot tip: if you want to resort hop, either be OCD and plan every bite of food you will eat or do not use the dining plan. I grabbed two Mickey Bars and a water bottle and walked through the construction at CB. I returned, we scheduled our luggage pick-up for the next morning, and we went to bed.

Joining in! (and I'm #1)!! What an exciting way to visit Disney World with resort hopping! I would love to do that one day - maybe solo trip!

Joining in! (and I'm #1)!! What an exciting way to visit Disney World with resort hopping! I would love to do that one day - maybe solo trip!

Thanks for joining in! Super excited to share it all!

The logistics are a nightmare, but it is the best way to see as much of WDW as possible!

Can We Even Spend a Whole Day at Hollywood Studios?

Early Morning Bliss
On day 2, I got up early to participate in my favorite Disney park practice. I love being up and walking around the resorts before anyone else is awake. I love taking photographs just before sunrise. The deep blue color of the Florida sky just before sunrise is unbelievable. The starbursts I can pull out of the lights around the properties bring a sense of fantasy and grandness to each photograph.

Even though the photography is great, I love soaking in the silence even more. I love being alone with my creative thoughts and not having to avoid the crowds. This time is an introvert’s dream!

Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is great for this practice. The fact that the resort is laid out around the lake with sprawling grounds and fun alcoves brings my creative, introverted brain plenty of pleasure.

Overall, I rate CB highly. I like the fact that the resort is spread out and has walking paths ribboned across the property. The downside of the spread out nature of this resort is that transportation can be really difficult. Custom House, which is the main building, is very far from any of the other buildings. There are also several stops using Disney bus transportation. These stops make commuting to the parks a painfully slow process.

I really like the beach areas and the pool is a really cool feature. I also really like the Caribbean Cay island area. It is a fun place to send your children to play, or to unwind at the end of the day. I cannot review CB without referencing the major elephant in the room. There are large-scale renovations going on at this resort which will drastically change your experience if you are visiting while they are taking place.

Currently, Disney is revamping the Old Port Royale area, adding Skyliner Gondolas, and constructing Disney’s Riviera Resort. These factors have a couple of practical implications. The first, and most significant, is that the dining situation at CB is not awesome. Disney has added a tented dining facility, one quick service window, and a couple of food trucks. I think the food trucks are a fun idea, but the rest of the options are best to be avoided. They get the job done, but Disney World offers so many great dining options that it makes very little sense to waste your money here.

The other practical implication is that there are large areas of the resort behind fences. This can make your walk less aesthetically pleasing and less efficient. This was not a huge issue for Sarah and I because we only stayed for one night, but I could see how it would be annoying for anyone staying for a longer period of time.

I tend to be “cup half-full” about renovations at Disney properties. This resort could be amazing when all the changes are completed. I really liked the resort while the renovations were going on, but I think it will be truly special once it is a completed property. Full resort review coming soon!

After I returned, Sarah was up and ready to go. We arranged our bags to be picked up by Bell Services at 7:40am. When we called the night before, they suggested we give them a 40-minute window to pick up the bags. They arrived at 7:45am, so I was incredibly impressed! Hot tip: if you want to resort hop but hate the idea of lugging your luggage, call Bell Services and they will get it for you! They even take it to your next resort!

Hurry Up to Chill
After they picked up our bags, we walked across the parking lot to our bus stop. We jumped on a bus and entered Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We got in line to enter the park roughly 10 minutes before they started allowing people in the park.

After we scanned our MagicBands, we participated in another practice that we have adopted. We rope dropped Starbucks! We noticed that there was no line, so we dove inside Trolley Car Cafe and ordered our gratuitous “we need to get the most money out of this snack credit as possible!” drinks.

Sarah’s drink of choice for the week and a half was a Venti White Mocha, no whipped cream, extra hot. My drink of choice was an abominable Trenta Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew. If calories counted at WDW, which they don’t, we would be off the charts for our visit.

This was the first time we encountered the issues associated with resort hopping on the Disney Dining Plan. If you are crazy and want to put yourself through this torture, here is what you need to do. Hot tip: in order to resort hop on the Disney Dining Plan, call in and check out of your resort every morning and use every mug, snack, and meal every day. Due to some solid work from an amazing Cast Member at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort, we figured out that it helps the system to check out every morning. Each CM we talked to said we didn’t need to, but just ask them to do it anyways. Also, the dining plan does not transfer over to your next reservation until you use every aspect of it. If you have questions, please put them in the comments so we can help you!

Thanks to the incredible CM working at TCC, we did not have to pay cash for our drinks. She gave them to us for free! What great customer service! Spoiler alert: this is not the last time we would get free things during this trip!

After we got our drinks we, weirdly, decided not to rope drop an attraction. We would have needed to finish our gargantuan drinks before we got in line, so it made very little sense to make ourselves sick by chugging these calorie and caffeine monsters. Insted, we sat in the shade on Sunset Boulevard and enjoyed a beautiful Central Florida day. We took notes about our experiences at Pizzafari, Tusker House, and CB. You know, the flashy side of travel blogging!

After I was done with my drink, I decided I would try the single rider line for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. The line was longer than usual, but still took much less time than the normal wait. This single rider is possibly the worst at WDW. Due to there being an even number of seats in each row, there is rarely an opportunity to jump in. Being that I had plenty of time, I even got the chance to prop my camera up on a pole and take a long exposure of the attraction embarking upon its crazy ride around Los Angeles.

Ok, Business Time
After I was done, we journeyed over to Toy Story Mania to once again battle for Coleman home supremacy. Unsurprisingly, Sarah won. She always wins. I am not sure what the issue is, but I embarrass myself. One of these days, I will read an article about how to cheat and win. But for now, Sarah is the reigning champion.

As we exited the attraction, it started to rain. We decided to wait out the weather while watching the sneak peek of Coco. The sneak peek was fun. Now that we have seen the film, we are in love. The animation is unreal. The story is amazing. The emotions are too real.

It was still raining, so we decided to go to the next closest attraction. This happened to be Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Sarah and I are not fans of this show. It is just not good. I don’t have a problem with a lot of it, but it just feels half hearted. They skip a majority of the film, the puppetry is outdated, and they douse you with water (if that is a spoiler, you’re welcome!). We would have done better to sit outside in the rain.

After we exited the auditorium, I was craving a snack. The problem with the snack credits at WDW is that they have very little savory options. Other than at the Epcot food festivals, you have popcorn or a pretzel (that is an exaggeration, but they are very heavily in favor of sweet snacks). Fortunately, Sarah loves fake nacho cheese. We got a Mickey Pretzel and drowned our sorrows in processed cheese.

After our pretzel was finished, we walked over to Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage. We sang along to the songs and and my stomach decided it wanted to join in on the fun. Either I was still starving, or the processed cheese was winning. The good news was that we had a lunch reservation that we were both really excited about. I booked the Fantasmic! Dining Package at Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano.

Sarah and I both love Italian food. We both especially love copious amounts of good Italian food. Mama Melrose’s delivered on both of these. We entered the dining room and it was like I was transported to an old Italian diner in LA. It was dark and cozy feeling and there were plenty of random items adorning the walls.

We were shocked when our server came to the table and informed us that the Fantasmic! Dining Package included appetizer, entree, and dessert for both of us. This was especially shocking when single-serving flatbreads were appetizers. Sarah ordered Crispy Calamari which came with an amazing citrus dipping sauce. I ordered the Pepperoni Flatbread which was great WDW pizza.

Being that we were already completely stuffed, we decided to save half of the appetizer course for later snacking. For our entrees, we ordered Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana and Grilled Flat Iron Steak. Sarah liked the chicken dish, but I thought the flavor was lacking. We both enjoyed the steak dish. The steak was slightly tough, but the cheese pasta was amazing on the side.

We Need a Nap
We rolled out of the restaurant in desperate need of a nap. It is hard work eating that much food! We arrived at our next resort, Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, and were ready to pass out. We quickly called Bell Services to see if our bags had arrived yet. Spoiler alert, they never arrived by the time we returned to our resort. Hot tip: pack EVERYTHING you need for each day in your park touring bag if you are resort hopping. The inter-resort transport will happen, but expect it to take until 3-4pm.

Eventually, the bags did arrive and we were able to go out and explore the resort to take pictures. Unfortunately, I forgot to pack my tripod in our park touring bag, so we had to wait. As we walked out, we tipped the man who delivered our bags and we wandered around the resort.

One thing we learned from this trip is that we really appreciate Moderate hotels. Sarah and I both agreed that the sprawling grounds and larger beds made these resorts an ideal fit.

We both took pictures and fell in love with the resort. The layout around the lake makes for a fun walk, the pool and recreation area is really fun, and the main building is well-themed and presents guests with several dining and entertainment options. The fact that the convention center is attached gives this resort a very different feel. More on the resort in Part 3!

By the time we returned to our room, it was dark and we were ready to go back to HS for Fantasmic! Unfortunately, we forgot our Dining Package Fantasmic! tickets in the room. The downside of our building at CS is that we did not have an elevator. I ran up 4 flights of stairs and grabbed our tickets. Then we both ran to the bus to catch it before it left.

Hollywood or Bust
We returned to HS and were not sure if we actually wanted to partake in any attractions or shows before Fantasmic! We had an awkward amount of time before Fantasmic!, so we just ate! Nothing like stuffing your face to pass the time! We also had a great view of Sunset Seasons Greetings!

Sarah and I split at Fajita Platter from Fairfax Fare and then Sarah got ice cream from Hollywood Scoops. We were definitely still full from lunch, so we unhealthily full by the time we were done eating Mexican food and ice cream. We hobbled up the hill to Fantasmic! And got our our seats 10 minutes before the show started.

Surprisingly, we still got amazing seats. I decided that, rather than taking pictures during the entire show, I would just sit back and enjoy. It had been a while since I had taken in a nighttime spectacular without taking photos. But don’t worry, here is a shot from one of my previous viewings!

We exited the park and went back to our room. We were going to need to be up early for a Magic Kingdom day the next morning. Those days are no-nonsense! We needed our beauty rest!

Excited to follow along for another trip! Love the photos as always, and had that same steak at Mama's- LOVE IT!!!!

Magic Kingdom, A La Mode and Covered in Caramel.

Not So Early Mornings
Day 3 was the first day that I did not have the energy to wake up early and take pictures in the morning. I did wake up, but I looked outside and the sky was not any different than when I took pictures the night before. This was justification enough for me to go back to bed. To be honest, it didn’t take much!

After we woke up, we got ready and waited for Bell Services to come and pick up our bags. Once again, it was a very short wait. One thing I was really impressed by during this trip was the expediency of Bell Services picking up our bags. After our bags were all taken care of, we walked down the stairs and waited for the bus to Magic Kingdom.

When we got to Magic Kingdom, we jumped off the bus and walked through security with very little issue. This trip was Sarah’s turn to be selected for random addition screening every single time. I waited and we entered the park, ready for our Starbucks. When we arrived at the register for our sugar/ caffeine fix, there was another issue with our snack credits. Unfortunately the Cast Member at Main Street Bakery were not as generous as at Trolley Car Cafe. We decided to charge the coffee to our room in hopes of getting it covered that afternoon at our resort.

Shallow Depth of Field
After we got our drinks we had more time to kill. Between Sarah’s venti and my trenta, we had a lot of time. We decided to jump aboard the Liberty Square Riverboat. I loaded up my Nikkor 70-300mm lens to take some shallow depth of field shots at a distance.

We lazily sipped our sugar-bombs while the boat rounded Tom Sawyer Island. I took some pictures that I was pretty happy about.

After we exited the attraction, we walked the short distance to Haunted Mansion. I took some photos of the queue which I was pretty happy about and we joined the 999 happy haunts. We walked away from the mansion and towards Tom Sawyer Island.

Sarah and I rarely get to spend some quality time with Tom Sawyer. Usually our trips are so focused on hitting all the big-name attractions that we cannot give time to relaxing and slowly taking in things like the island. Sarah and I took pictures and she got a really good one of a bird that was perched on a fence. Good work Sarah!

Seven Dwarves Mine Train was our next destination. We had a Fastpass+ to use! This is the only way that we can justify riding the mine train. The line is always SO long and the ride is, ironically, SO short. We find the idea of the swinging cars (spoiler alert?) fun and the ride is entertaining, but the long wait is too much for us. The nice privilege of being a regular visitor is that we do not need to feel like we need to wait for these E-ticket attractions. We can navigate using Fastpass+ to ride them just enough.

After we were done, it was time to use another Fastpass+ for Space Mountain. This is another attraction for which we would never wait in the stand-by line. For us it is probably the best thrill ride at Walt Disney World. Sarah doesn’t love Expedition Everest or Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster because they are too much. Space Mountain is just enough thrill.

We still have only waited over an hour for a Disney attraction once. Sarah and I waited 90 minutes for Hollywood Tower Hotel at Disney’s California Adventure (RIP :() our very first visit together to a Disney park. We have wisened considerably since.

More Free Food!
By the time we were done blasting through space in our rocket, it was time for a meal. We were intentionally waiting to have a late lunch because we wanted to be as hungry as possible for our 8pm reservation at ‘Ohana. Unfortunately, we ran into further problems with our dining plan at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe. Our order would go through, but the computer could not charge our meals. Amazingly again, the CM comped our meal! They were so confused that it took 4 other CM’s to figure it out, but in the end it was less trouble to just give us the food for free.

We were rewarded with an above-average WDW hamburger. I got a meat monstrosity and Sarah got a chicken club. The burger was decent, the chicken club was only a club because it had bacon on it. Does that make it a club? I am not a sandwich expert. The french fries were cold. We had a real problem with cold french fries on this trip. It was hard for us to complain about food when they gave it to us for free.

After we were done, we took the long walk to the opposite end of the park and Big Thunder Mountain. We had a Fastpass+ scheduled and I was ready to go riding on the wildest ride in the wilderness. I love this ride and I am not sure how Sarah feels about it. She usually avoided it when we would go to Disneyland, but I think the lack of repetitive trips (we used to go to Disneyland every week) helps my case for riding it regularly.

As we walked away from Big Thunder Mountain, we were both ready for a nap. Instead of going through the trudge back to the front of the park, we rode the Walt Disney World Railroad. This is another experience we normally skip because we are pressed for time. I like steaming along the railroad and mindlessly experiencing the areas of the park you do not normally see. I just want some animatronic dinosaurs!

All-Star Confusion
The gentle rocking of the train nearly put Sarah and I to sleep as we approached Main Street, USA Station. We were really ready for a nap. We sleepwalked to the bus depot and rode silently back to our next resort: Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort.

When we got to the resort we had not yet received the text message from Disney saying that our room was ready. This was unfortunate, but comes with the territory when resort hopping. Hot tip: when resort hopping, make sure you plan to be busy until your check-in time. Disney does their best to be accommodating, but we ran into rooms not being ready several times.

This meant that we needed to go to the front desk to check-in. This would normally not be a big deal, but the line on this day was massive to see someone about a check-in. Fortunately, we got to have a lovely conversation with a couple from Fort Lauderdale who were also Disney veterans. The husband and wife duo were our Disney idols. They had been coming to Disney world since it opened and their daughter worked on-property. They are Annual Passholders who regularly take weekend vacations to Disney World to meet up with their daughter. Goals!

When we got to the front of the line, we struck up a conversation with a CM who was incredibly interested in our adventure in resort hopping. Most people are skeptical, but impressed by our dedication to seeing all things Disney. He assigned us to a room that was ready in the Toy Story area. We approached another CM to discuss our charges from our morning at Magic Kingdom. The CM was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. She explained that the system malfunctions if you have overlapping reservations. She told us the only way to remedy this malfunction was to call and check out every morning and use every mug, snack, and meal credit every day. So take that as a warning! If you are resort hopping on the dining plan, you will need to be ultra-intentional in your planning.

By the time we were done, we were in awe of the CM’s dedication to the Disney arts and still very sleepy. We both napped while we waited for our bags to be delivered. The bags arrived around 5 o’clock and we got ready for our evening of non-park touring. We wanted to take a night outside of the parks to soak up the resorts and go to Disney Springs.

Beautiful Evening with Amazing Food
I decided it wasn’t worth it to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then a monorail to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort so we decided to take an Uber. This Uber was efficient and knew the Disney transportation circus routine well. We navigated a new and confusing traffic pattern with ease and arrived roughly an hour before our dinner reservation.

We took time to sit idly on a rocking bench along the Seven Seas Lagoon overlooking the Magic Kingdom. Again, we love these long trips because we can actually take time to sit out and enjoy moments like this. We decided to walk back to the main building roughly a half hour before our reservation, mostly because I was getting stir crazy sitting still.

When we arrived for our dinner reservation, we walked right in and our table was ready. We walked with the hostess and she grabbed our Ohana bread on the way to our table. To say that ‘Ohana was incredible would be a massive understatement. We started with the delicious bread with subtle notes of pineapple, we tolerated the salad (because salad), we loved the appetizer course with amazing noodles and ridiculous potstickers, we gorged ourselves on meats coated liberally in peanut sauce, and we washed it all down with laughably amazing bread pudding.

The last dish was one we were incredibly skeptical about, but it blew our minds. It is pineapple bread pudding, with a banana caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. If that sounds weird to you, we were in the same camp as you. We almost skipped it! I went to the bathroom and Sarah was in charge of asking for the check, rather than the dessert. By a miracle of God, Sarah forgot to ask. It is the best mistake she has ever made (other than marrying me! ;)). You need to eat this to complete your life!

Even though we had been full before on this trip, this set a new standard of fullness. We could barely breathe in the manufactured island smell in the lobby as we headed to walk off our dinner and dessert at Disney Springs. We got on the bus and arrived at Disney Springs. We took a loop around the shopping district. I used this as an opportunity to take some pictures. I got a good picture of World of Disney:

And some of the holiday decor:

We were both so tired by the time we walked our loop that we skipped the West Side all together. Instead, we loaded a shared bus to the All-Star Resorts so we could go to bed. I got off one hotel early so I could take a picture of the facades of Sports and Music. I joined Sarah after waiting what felt like an eternity to take pictures without buses in them.

We both were asleep before our heads hit the pillows. It was a busy day!

Wow! That’s a lot or resort hopping ! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your resort adventures.

Beautiful pictures and detailed reporting! We love Ohana, the bread pudding is so darn delicious! We stayed at the Poly in August and I loved it!

Really enjoying your adventures! I have done some resort hopping (last year we covered 5 hotels in 7 nights) but yours takes the cake!

Our Life, Upgraded

Back to my Early Morning Madness

On day 4, I woke up early and edited photos before going out and taking more. Apparently I decided that I was not overly interested in sleeping that morning. I walked outside to a cloudy, but beautiful morning. I decided I would start at Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort and walk all the rest of the All-Star resorts.

The first stop was to take more pictures of the movie icons. In terms of theming, I think Movies stands out above the others. Sarah and I are huge suckers for Disney Animation Studios intellectual property, so I think that bias weighs heavily here. This is why we also love Disney’s Art of Animation Resort and some of Disney’s Pop Century Resort. I am a bit confused by the Herby section, but I guess that some people liked that movie? I guess?

As far as resorts go, the All-Star properties are all about expectations. I think life is all about expectations and these resorts prove that point. If you are not looking to spend a great deal of time in your room or do not care for the high-end touches, this can be a great resort. The rooms are Motel 6ish. Interestingly, while we were talking with a Cast Member at the front desk the day before, Disney is planning a room renovation of the All-Star resorts and are going to remove the horrible carpets. Hope is on the horizon for room quality!

My next resort was All-Star Music. Sarah and I stayed at this resort during our June 2017 trip, but I have progressed significantly as a photographer since then. I wanted to take better pictures to spruce up my hotel review. If you are curious to read it, check it out! I took my pictures and moved onto the rest All-Star resort.

I entered All-Star Sports complex and I realized that this was my first time ever stepping foot in the resort. The icons being slightly different than the other resorts and it made it a nice change of pace. I thought that the layout of Sports made it much more conducive to walking quickly. It took me roughly half the time to take pictures at this resort than it did at Movies or Music.

As I was finishing, the rest of the people at the resorts were starting to wake up. I walked back to the room and found that Sarah was mostly ready. We decided to go to World Premiere Food Court for breakfast because we did not use a quick service meal the previous day. Sarah and I both got decent Disney breakfast that included powdered eggs, Mickey waffles, and plenty of bacon. We do not usually get breakfast at Walt Disney World because we do not want to waste a dining credit, but we had plenty to use this trip.

I inhaled my meal quickly so I could go check out and drop off our bags. I completed both of these tasks as Sarah finished her food and we met at the bus stop. By the time the Epcot bus arrived, it was half-full from the other resorts. Hot tip: when staying at the All-Star properties, you will likely share buses. This means the bus stops at Sports first, Music second, and Movies last. This is usually not a massive problem, but it can mean that you can be prepared for a lot of standing.

The Endless Security Line

We arrived at Epcot ready to rope drop Soarin’. Unfortunately, we ran into the longest security wait of all time. This is something you would think Sarah and I would be better at, being that we go to WDW so regularly. Unfortunately, we are terrible at guessing which line will be faster. It makes sense in my head that lines with strollers will take longer, but it rarely works out that way. I think it may just be dumb luck. We waited in line for security just long enough to miss rope drop and think we may be doomed for Soarin’. I decided to chance it, so we went there hoping not to wait very long. My faith was rewarded by a 15-minute wait.

We walked out of the Land pavilion and visited with Nemo, Marlin, Dory, and friends. This ride is one of our go-to’s because there is rarely a wait. We walked directly into our ride vehicle and sang “In the big blue wooorld” as we exited the Seas pavilion.

As we were walking to get Starbucks, a CM at an ice cream cart signaled Sarah and I to come over. He told me to say something into his radio and our reward was free ice cream! Love that free food! I am fairly positive we got free food every single day of our trip.

Use All the Snack Credits!
I munched on a 50/50 bar and we got our coffee monstrosities. As we approached the counter to order our drinks, we were apprehensive that we would be able to use a snack credit. Our past experience of not being able to use snack credits because of our resort hopping had scarred us. Fortunately, there was not an issue with the system. We had cracked the code! As a resort hopping visitor on the dining plan, make sure to check out of your room and use all your credits. Problem solved!

As we waited for the sugar to kick in, I took a picture of Spaceship Earth from a different angle and Sarah soaked in the Central Florida sun.

Even though we were not entirely done with our caffeine medicine, we were ready to walk to one of our favorite relaxation stations at WDW. We love sitting on the lower patio of Yorkshire County Fish Shop right next to World Showcase Lagoon. We took notes about our previous day’s adventures and reviewed our stops.

After we were done relaxing, it was time to eat! This day happened to be the last day of the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival and we needed to take advantage! We walked a delicious circle around World Showcase and ate paella, shrimp tacos, spicy shrimp and pineapple, and chocolate cake. As you can probably tell, we really like shrimp. We only took a short break to ride a boat through Arendelle and visit Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf.

We Got an Upgrade?!

After we were done snacking, Sarah and I decided it was a great time to leave Epcot and go to our next resort: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. This was the resort that we were really excited about visiting. You may not know this, but Sarah and I are not independently wealthy. If anyone would like to assist in making that happen, leave a comment! :)

We knew that this would, likely, be our one opportunity to stay at this resort. We figured we could swing one night on our big vacation. I booked an Outer Building - Garden View room and realized there was an amazing deal on rooms at GF. Because we are Annual Passholders, we regularly get emails about discounts. This ended up saving us a significant amount of money.

When we arrived at the front desk to check in, we were not surprised that they let us know that our room was not ready yet. What came next, did surprise us. The CM at the front desk let us know that they upgraded us to a Club Level room! This was the first time we had ever been upgraded at a Disney resort. In fact, during our September 2017 trip, I had a conversation with a Guest Services CM that told us they could not do this in their system.

We were so excited as they had a member of Bell Services walk us over to our building and give us a tour of the property. This sustained us through the hour wait for our room to be ready. We spent time by both pools, on the back deck of Narcoossee’s overlooking Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Contemporary Resort, and Seven Seas Lagoon, and in the Club level area.

As we entered the room, we were amazed by the space. The room is incredibly spacious, the decor had subtle nods to Disney, the details were exquisite, and the view from the balcony was amazing. Sarah did not want to leave!

Do We Have to Go?

Unfortunately, we had to leave to go to our dining reservation. We jumped on the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center and then on another monorail to Epcot. We arrived in just enough time to use our Fastpass+ for Spaceship Earth. Sarah and I waited for longer than I expected, but I got to take a randomly fun, artsy picture of the attraction.

We exited Spaceship Earth with roughly 10 minutes to get to the France pavilion for our reservation at Chefs de France. Sarah and I quickly dodged the massive, last-day-of-food-festival crowd and arrived right on time for our reservation. We went inside the loud dining room and we sat down at a middle table. My impression of this meal was positive. I think it was a good middle-of-the-road table service meal. I was not overwhelmed by the food, but I was not disappointed.

Sarah ordered off the pre fixe menu and I did not. Sarah got Lobster Bisque which was good, Boeuf Bourguignon with Linguine which was good but salty, and a Profiterole which was both delicious and beautiful.

I ordered the Filet de Boeuf Grille which was cooked well, but the green beans were undercooked and the Gateau de Chocolat which was incredibly rich, but the mint ice cream was a nice way to cut that richness.

After we were done, I wanted to take some pictures of Epcot at night. Being that Sarah and I do not particularly care for Illuminations, it is tough to justify staying at Epcot late. We walked through World Showcase slowly (mostly because it was so crowded) and I took pictures of all the pavilions.

On our way out of the park, I ran into my least favorite part of Epcot International Food & Wine Festival: drunk college students. For those who may not know, I deal with drunk college students for my job. I oversee 250 college students and I get plenty of calls to the Emergency Room to sit with a student who consumed too much alcohol. Unfortunately, EIF&WF brings out the worst in some people.

While I was taking a picture of Spaceship Earth, I had a college student come by and almost kick my camera into the fountain. I get that mistakes happen, but she got upset with me that I had the nerve to set my camera up on a ledge that she was not supposed to be walking on. She declared that I was lucky that she decided to care. As her and her group of drunken friends walked off, I suppressed every thought in my mind with thoughts of how awesome the picture would turn out. In the end, I won!

We took the monorails back to GF and watched Happily Ever After from the dock next to Narcoossee's. Though this is a non-traditional location, I do enjoy to for fireworks viewing. The music is played through speakers so the only aspect that is missing is the castle projections. I wouldn’t skip viewing the show from the parks for this view, but it is a good alternative if you don’t want to go to Magic Kingdom. This is also a place for parents who may want to put the kids to be and still watch the show!

We drank beer and headed back to our amazing bed. Sarah and I melted into the sheets of the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in. We were almost immediately asleep.

That is still a lot of hopping so fun! What resorts did you do?

We were mostly offsite for our hopping as it started as a Universal trip. I was also saving money using various hotel points.

Night #1: airport hotel with points
Night #2 & 3: Royal Pacific Resort
Night #4: offsite hotel near Universal with points
Night #5 & 6: Pop Century (with DxDDP - yum!)
Night #7: Holiday Inn in Downtown Disney on points
Night #8: Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress on points

Oooo....even crazier than I remember! 6 hotels in 8 nights. It was surprisingly manageable. We used Uber and only took breaks during hotel transfers. Never had any issues being roomless (although I timed our transfers carefully).

I was also very meticulous to choose hotels close to wherever we were going to be. We ended up finding moving hotels easier than travelling back and forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter