The Best and the worst resorts at Disney

I think that "best" and "worst" are subjective. For instance, there are many who would list Chef Mickey as the worst meal on property, yet for my family this is where we always kick off a disney vacation when we have children or newbies with us.

My husband thinks the Beach Club is a dump..... WHAT?????? In what Universe???? I love POFQ. Is it a better resort than the Grand? I have no idea, but I like it, and having stayed at both, I would not complain at either.

Personally, I think that Disney resorts all provide the needs each family requires when they book them, and when you are choosing, you choose the best for whatever your circumstances are at the time.

We have stayed at almost all of the deluxe resorts GF, WL, CR, Poly, AKL, and YC plus 2 moderates CB and POFQ and have loved them all. We are trying POR at Thanksgiving.

If I am at Disney World then for me it’s “the best”. All Stars and Pop have been the “best” when we were on a budget and needed a clean bed or when our kids cared WAY more about huge Buzz and Woddy then landscaping and space. This time we are staying at Caribbean Beach hoping the Pirate Rooms will bring a “best” experience and my kids will enjoy the fun pool theme. We have not stayed at a Deluxe yet ( but most likely will in Oct due to a great hotel deal) and we might find that “the best” who knows. I think “the best” is what works for my family or another and the worst are places that don’t for one reason or another.

All subjective to taste, I think a poll would have better helped you get that answer..

For my family we didn't like CBR at all, too spread out, we booked a preferred room (pirate) and it was ALLLLL the way in the back. plus having to take a bus to get breakfast AT the resort seemed ridiculous lol

Didn't care for AOA while the theming was fantastic and the food at the food court had a nice different variety if you stayed in a LM room you were very far away from food court, gift shop and buses

Im on the fence about AKL, I think its beautiful and I would stay there again, my hubby thinks the hallways were long and confusing (took him forever to figure out how to get to MARA on the first day to fill his mug lol)

Cr- I love the rooms and the restaurants here but the resort itself reminded me of an airport, no cozy feelings her at all...

I haven't stayed at BWI I would like to but again hubby doesn't want to have to LEAVE the resort to go to Boardwalk Bakery to fill his mug, he says what if I want a drink in the middle of the night lol

I have four favorites.

GF- gorgeous, good food and beautiful shops and monorail, also great views and come on its the GRAND

Poly-OMG hands down views are amazing! Such a relaxing atmosphere and TONGA TOAST, monorail and you can walk to TTC to catch the express to Ecpot, also taking the little boat to and from the Poly at night is amazing.. hanging out on the Poly Beach at night... sigh.. amazing

POR-a really nice resort, just beautiful to walk around, I enjoy the ambiance here as well. Food court is good and a good size shop, the boat to DS is nice, you get to see some beautiful views of the resort while on the boat, plus it makes it easy and enjoyable if you want to eat at POFQ or DS...

POP- such a cute resort, the food court here is good, we like to ask for a room in the back facing the echo lake, its a nice view of AOA and very quiet

My bucket list that I would like to stay at one day:

WL-would love to stay here around the holidays
YC-I think this is a classy looking resort and quiet, I love the stormalong bay too
CS-I have visited and ate at this resort but not stayed, wasn't crazy about the rooms but they look nice with the refurb and Id like to try it out
OKW- this resort looks beautiful from pics Ive seen

For us, the worst has been CBR
Best would be either the Contemporary or the Yacht Club

Over the many years, I've stayed at Poly, ASMo, CSR, YC, AKL, and Pop. Enjoyed them all to be honest. Even thought ASMo was pretty great for a value, but that stay was over a decade ago.

I think many on here have reading comprehension problems . The OP asked what “you” believe, not what others think. OP wants YOUR opinion. They do not need a lecture that it’s a subjective topic. That’s obvious...

IMO
Best WL
Worst All Stars

Last edited:
We have stayed at Art of Animation (Cars Suite), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Caribbean Beach Resort, All Star Movies, and Beach Club Villas (1 Bedroom).

I enjoyed all of my stays for various reasons. My favorite was BC Villas. Least favorite was probably All Star Movies, but it was still a good stay.

I have stayed at the YC, Poly, ASMu, POP, AKL, & BWV.

My favorite was YC.
If I had to pick a worst from where I have stayed I guess I would choose ASMu only for the decor.

Really I have no complaints about any of them.

My personal favorite is Fort Wilderness, but as it has been mentioned before it is very much a matter of opinion.

I hear a lot of people hating on Carib. Beach Resort so I am thinking that might be at the bottom of the list for moderates.

We have only stayed at akl, por, and POFQ. Out of those three our favorite was POFQ and our least favorite was akl. I liked the fact that at both por and POFQ you got to walk outside to get places instead of through hallways. We are trying Pop next week so we will see how that compares to the others!

I have stayed at: Pop, All Star Sports, Music and Movies, CBR, CSR, POR, POFQ, POLY, BWI, WL, OKW, & SSR. Most of these I have stayed at several times.

I can't say I have a favorite resort or even category for that matter. We've never had a bad stay. I've had very rare isolated issues but overall each stay has been pretty much amazing!

Sophie's Choice...

Best

As a Whole Family (Wife and Kids):

Value: All-Star Movie
Moderate: POR
Deluxe: Contemporary

Just the Wife and I
Moderate: POR
Deluxe: Grand Floridian

Worst

CBR

I think most can agree the Disney Hotels themselves are pretty mediocre overall compared to hotels of the same price in other resorts around the country/world. The way they win is the access they give you to all that Disney has to offer and in the price is the price.

I love every single one of them!

One of my best Disney memories was a last minute Thanksgiving trip when all we could get was All Star Sports and we couldn't get a Thanksgiving dinner ADR. We ended up at the food court with a less than mediocre pizza and one Thanksgiving special we shared just to be able to say we had Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey dinner ended up being surprisingly good and we practically fought over it, so I went back and got more and we ignored the blah pizza. We had a great time joking about the difference between that meal and environment and the usual "white linen" holiday-best affair we usually put on at home. It was just a really fun time, one of those magic moments that you can't create but that sort of organically transpire sometimes when you least expect it.

On the flip side, another of my favorite Disney moments was standing with my husband on the balcony of our Grand Floridan room watching the electric water pageant after returning from an amazing dinner at Victoria & Albert's on our 15th anniversary.

You can have fun anywhere at Disney!

I have loved all Disney stays.

Location seems to play a big part in our overall ranking. We preferred BWI the most because of the convenience to HS and EP, and even the park hop option of walking leisurely through EP to monorail to MK (takes way longer, but if not in a hurry- NO BUS!). For us, the walking convenience even outweighs the monorail resorts.

We least preferred CSR because of the extra long bus rides (5 stops at the hotel alone) and no alternative transportation. But, even CSR had a fantastic, relaxing atmosphere and a fantastic pool area. Rooms were fine, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter