The Beginner's Guide to Stravistix or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the TRIMP

How do you get into Stravistix from Google Chrome? The only way I've been able to figure it out is by going into "Options" from the little icon it puts in the top right of my browser. Clicking on the "Stravistix for Strava" option in that menu just takes me to the Google App Store....

OK. So here is my experiment with using this data to enhance my training. Here is the assessment of @DopeyBadger after looking at my Stravistix data leading into this week...

So actually, the training you were doing from May 27th-June 5th area was appropriate training per this measurement (assuming the six weeks prior is also good data). Doesn't mean the training itself was appropriate, but simply that the combination of how much and at what HR was increasing at a steady rate. The fitness was increasing slowly, and you weren't overstepping with too much too soon.

But it appears that you didn't change the stimulus and starting around June 10th the training was too consistent. Not enough polarization in pacing or mileage. So May 27th-June 5th was good training. And June 10th-July 1st hasn't really been spent getting better.

Since this week is the first one of a 16 week marathon training plan, I wanted to push up the pace and mileage somewhat to ensure I'm going to be able to handle the big miles that are scheduled to come. And, given the comments above, I wanted to alter the "stimulus" over the course of the week to see, specifically, what is working or not working in terms of "polarizing" my effort. The result was this:

stravistix 0708.JPG

On the one hand, it is very encouraging to see the expected results show up on the chart. I took two rest days, ran a 10K, then two "routine" running days and finished with the pace run/long run weekend combo. The result was the first substantial uptick in 'fitness' since the end of May.

On the other hand, and probably more important for me in a practical sense, is how I feel. The previous fatigue peak at the start of June left me beaten and I trained conservatively after that. I don't feel nearly as exhausted now after putting in, arguably, a harder week. But, more importantly, it's time to take a rest day and recover to prepare for next week.

As @DopeyBadger pointed out, Stravistix is just another tool. But, sometimes when you start putting in a ton of miles, it can be hard to judge exactly what the right course of action may be; stick to the mileage plan or give yourself a rest. Here is an example of using it to keep my running on track and know exactly when a rest day is required.

OK. So here is my experiment with using this data to enhance my training. Here is the assessment of @DopeyBadger after looking at my Stravistix data leading into this week...

Since this week is the first one of a 16 week marathon training plan, I wanted to push up the pace and mileage somewhat to ensure I'm going to be able to handle the big miles that are scheduled to come. And, given the comments above, I wanted to alter the "stimulus" over the course of the week to see, specifically, what is working or not working in terms of "polarizing" my effort. The result was this:

View attachment 335520

On the one hand, it is very encouraging to see the expected results show up on the chart. I took two rest days, ran a 10K, then two "routine" running days and finished with the pace run/long run weekend combo. The result was the first substantial uptick in 'fitness' since the end of May.

On the other hand, and probably more important for me in a practical sense, is how I feel. The previous fatigue peak at the start of June left me beaten and I trained conservatively after that. I don't feel nearly as exhausted now after putting in, arguably, a harder week. But, more importantly, it's time to take a rest day and recover to prepare for next week.

As @DopeyBadger pointed out, Stravistix is just another tool. But, sometimes when you start putting in a ton of miles, it can be hard to judge exactly what the right course of action may be; stick to the mileage plan or give yourself a rest. Here is an example of using it to keep my running on track and know exactly when a rest day is required.

Yea, that's a pretty aggressive week and if you attempted to follow that up with the same week than you'd certainly be in overtraining. So as you said, it would be wise to step it back a bit to let things normalize. Try to think of the training in a high-med-high-low setup. Make sure you give yourself that break every 4 weeks or so. This will allow super compensation to training because the recovery is just as (if not more) important than the training itself. Nice to have that visual representation.

I'm at the beginning of a vacation week off from training, sadly watching my fitness trend down ever so slowly. But that massive downtick in fatigue is looking pretty nice....

It looks like all of this requires a premium membership.

Everything we've gone over does not require a premium membership with Strava. I don't have a premium account either.

I'm not sure exactly what features the premium Strava membership includes but Stravistix introduces some additional analysis aspects to your Strava via a browser overlay.

Now there is a feature called Veloviewer that Stravistix introduces that is pretty nifty. It allows you to upload 25 workouts on the service for free but then charges you if you put on any more. Veloviewer creates some great 2D models of runs and other data analysis that is fun to poke around with (see below) but, honestly, it seems more geared to cyclists than runners.

veloviewer.JPG

veloviewer 1.JPG

veloviewer 3.JPG

veloviewer 2.JPG

Everything we've gone over does not require a premium membership with Strava. I don't have a premium account either.
Then the installation of this plugin must give you access to data which is not available through Strava directly without premium membership. I do not have Chrome on my laptop - not possible to load it for security reasons. I guess that this leaves the app out for me as I only have Chrome on my phone, and this does not work on a phone installation as far as I can tell.

Then the installation of this plugin must give you access to data which is not available through Strava directly without premium membership. I do not have Chrome on my laptop - not possible to load it for security reasons. I guess that this leaves the app out for me as I only have Chrome on my phone, and this does not work on a phone installation as far as I can tell.

Opera is also an option.

https://github.com/thomaschampagne/stravistix/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions

Then the installation of this plugin must give you access to data which is not available through Strava directly without premium membership.

it's my understanding that Stravistix uses the same raw data Strava uses. The premium membership doesn't open more data, just different analysis.

Here is their description of the premium features:

Strava works with nearly every smartphone, GPS device and paired sensor, such as heart rate monitors and power meters. But only Premium unlocks the power of all that data for deep post-activity analysis, including exclusive features like Relative Effort and Race Analysis.

And here's the description they provide of those:
  • Premium Leaderboards: Filter leaderboards by age or weight.
  • Relative Effort: It's not how strong you are or how fast you go. Relative Effort measures how hard you try.
  • Power Meter Analysis: Get the full benefit of riding with a power meter.
  • Race Analysis: Detailed post-race breakdowns of your pace fluctuation and splits.
  • Workout Analysis: Visualize your pace zones and lap data for all your workouts.
  • GPX Download: Create custom maps and routes for your GPS.
  • Personal Heatmaps: Unique visualizations of all the places you've run or ridden.
Stravistix is just a browser add on that takes the raw data and provides it's own analysis.

it's my understanding that Stravistix uses the same raw data Strava uses. The premium membership doesn't open more data, just different analysis.
Actually, it does make a lot more data viewable in the app than Strava intended. I just did the research. Strava did not intend to expose that data in its free version of the app. This exposes the data in the Strava app by applying this tool "over" the app. The tool accesses the data stored in Strava and presents it. Strava is kinda stuck here. They can lock this down, but they would have to re-code their entire site.

I don't have a problem with this tool. I might even look at the data from time to time if the person who developed it created a version which works on a phone version of Chrome. My loss.

ETA: Strava has known about this for a long time. They are actually using this tool to help expand their market by helping spread the word.

Last edited:
I've had the plug in for a while, maybe from when @DopeyBadger mentioned it. I don't know what any of it really means but here is my info from what looks like less than 6 weeks. I think it's been tracking more effectively since I have got my new Garmin.

View attachment 336335

I defer to @DopeyBadger for a detailed analysis but I can tell you the reason it's gotten "more effective" is you have passed the six week threshold. The fitness stat is a moving average of your data over the last 42 days (fatigue is over the last seven). So once you get past that point, you are getting the correct analysis.

I've had the plug in for a while, maybe from when @DopeyBadger mentioned it. I don't know what any of it really means but here is my info from what looks like less than 6 weeks. I think it's been tracking more effectively since I have got my new Garmin.

View attachment 336335

@kleph is right in that since it passed the 6 week (42 day threshold) the "Fitness" average is now the correct value. The "Fatigue" value averages over 14 days so that means your "Form" value should be an accurate representation of your training load. Looks as if you're squarely in the "optimal" zone, per their defined areas. So the training load would seem appropriate using this tool for where you are in your current training cycle.

@kleph is right in that since it passed the 6 week (42 day threshold) the "Fitness" average is now the correct value. The "Fatigue" value averages over 14 days so that means your "Form" value should be an accurate representation of your training load. Looks as if you're squarely in the "optimal" zone, per their defined areas. So the training load would seem appropriate using this tool for where you are in your current training cycle.

i believe the fatigue measure extends over seven days unless i'm reading the formula wrong:

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter