The Ballad of Lola and Pablo...or, we've never seen that before! Dream 4 night double dip, June 2019. (Done!)

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a magical (sorry for the cliche LOL) 4 night Dream double dip cruise. I will try to write everything down here in the next couple of days so hopefully it will help someone else. I don't put photos up so you will have to use your imaginations, but don't you want to at least follow long enough to see what happened to Lola and Pablo? ;)
Background: we are both 55; this was our 5th cruise. We took our 3 kids on a Wonder cruise in 2003 and were treated to a 7 night Western by my parents in 2004 for their 50th anniversary, along with my sister's family (and my folks are still kicking at 87 and 89 although they do not travel). In 2016 we took our youngest on a 4 night Dream for his HS graduation because he was "Disney'd out" from the parks. DH and I did a 3 night Fantasy last year to get our grand slam and enjoyed it so much we booked this one onboard.
Pre-trip: I went to Pensacola on 6/14 to visit with my oldest daughter and her family; she had my second grandson 8 days before I got there. After 4 days with my grandsons I flew to Orlando and met my DH who flew from home. We spent one soggy night at WDW at Copper Creek--we had the best view but until the morning it just rained and rained. We did boat over to the monorail resorts, shop at Basin at the GF (my thing) and eat at Kona at the Polynesian. Tiffany Town Car picked us up at 9:15 Wednesday and drove us to PC for our 1030 PAT time. We were in boarding group 2! I was beyond excited. I got a picture with Captain Mickey.
We boarded at 1128 and were in Cabanas by 1138. We always like to eat outside, especially now because NW Ohio has been having twice the usual rain this year and rarely has hit 80 degrees so far; spring has well and truly sucked. The hot humid sunshine was fine with us (my daughter couldn't believe that I sat outside during the kids' naptime since it's so hot down there but I loved it.) We had a pretty leisurely lunch, looked over the navigator, planned our day a little, etc. We went to the online desk and figured out how to make the app work--DH's phone went all black which was new and worried us a little. I was able to google a restart method which worked, thank goodness. Then it was 130 and we went to the room and dropped our carry on--my bag was already there!
We were in room 8684 which is an aft room, our first one. Wow, what a nice room. It did not have full loungers but the location was really great and the verandah had so much room. I started unpacking (DH's bag was there also before 2) and then headed up to the DVC reception.
If you've done the DVC reception I'll save the big description--game, DVC chat/video, game, DVC chat/video, game, DVC chat/video. Free drinks or water. Then a drawing for stateroom credit we never win. In 2016 we got DVC tervis-like cups. Last year we got hats and lanyards during our cruise. This year only hats. It's OK, because we have hats in red, blue and black, but with the price of points now it seems the swag is going in the opposite direction. I would like to try Riviera someday, and Aulani, but since my current points are Disney direct, if I decide to add on it will be resale, thanks.
We went back to the room and I unpacked everything before our safety drill. Our stateroom location was in evolution. It was bright and sunny when we went in but when we came out there were very ominous dark clouds. DH said he'd never seen a sky so dark--and we are from the midwest! We went up to deck 12 anyway but everything came unraveled very quickly. The wind was crazy and partially blew down the "sail away party" banner. The CMs were struggling to hold the frame for the banner up so it didn't blow down on anyone. Quickly they announced (and put a slide on the funnelvison) that the sail away party would be moved inside. Everyone moved toward the stairs--and the CMs were making sure everyone got off of there. I had promised my grandson I'd wave at him on the webcam and that if it rained I would be on my room balcony at the back of the ship, so we went down to our room and I ordered cookies and milk from room service.
The storm turned out to be a huge one. You can look up the 6/19/19 Dream sailaway on the port canaveral webcam site if you want to see it--whitecaps in the harbor, sheets of rain, etc. The ship didn't actually pull out until about 5PM. It was still raining but not pouring. When the ship got close to the webcam I popped out there and waved like a maniac--you can see me on the footage, in a blue hoodie. I found out later he was napping anyway, but I plan to show it to him when he visits later this summer.
Before dinner we stopped at the Cruise Planning desk. I had booked a 7 night Fantasy for the end of May 2020 and wanted to reshop it for the discount and the OBC. I booked about 7 weeks ago and the price had not increased. What he did was get me the last 5E room available for that cruise, and told me to come home and cancel the first booking and put that room # on the new, cheaper booking (plus all the $ I had put down). I did that yesterday so I have my original room choice (5E on deck 10--even when I booked only decks 10 and 6 were open). The booking CM said he has had a few time where people love their 5E rooms and want to book another one but they are all scooped up. From the threads I read it is a love or hate thing. I will put a full review of the room on that thread.
Before dinner we went to 687 for 70s trivia. I scored 39/40, but another woman got 40/40, so missed it by that much. And it was a Bob Marley song...got the artist right but mixed up the title. Same thing last year. I am going to be listening to a lot of Bob Marley next spring!
Dinner on night #1 was in Enchanted Garden. Our server was Constantin and our assistant was Aline from Brazil. They were great. Constantin has been on the Dream since it sailed. He was attentive and funny and we really enjoyed him. Aline brought our iced tea(me) and coke(DH) and had them ready quickly every night from that point, and was very good with refills. We had our own table as requested---DH is very gregarious, but I'm not very social until I know someone for a while, and when we have had table mates I just sit quietly while everyone else talks.
For an appetizer I got the apple smoked bacon wild mushroom tart, which I really enjoyed. DH got the lobster ravioli. We both got prime rib for entrees. We both like orange so we had the orange yogurt cake which we liked as well.
After dinner we walked around a little and I went to the shops and got a new DCL Alex and Ani bracelet. We did not see Golden Mickeys. In fact we were in the room by 1030 and, exhausted, both pretty much crashed. We were looking forward to our first CC day.
Next: CC Day 1--Rigid Hull snorkeling, Pelican Plunge, royal court, and I miss having a paper navigator.

Last edited:
Following along! I’m going on a Dream Double Dip next week, so can’t wait to hear more about your trip!

Day 2, our first day at CC! I got a Mickey wake up call at 6 AM and stumbled upstairs, determined to get some sunrise pictures up by Satellite Falls. I filled my tervis I brought from home with iced tea at the beverage station and made my way forward. A few other hardy souls were out, but not many at 620. I got my pictures and went back to the room and packed some stuff in day bags...sunscreen, a brush, my new water shoes, excursion tickets, and my glasses case.
DH was up and we headed up at Cabanas about opening time, sitting outside while we ate and watching the ship finish the docking process. I had fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon and a chocolate danish that was really good. The eggs tend to be runny and that is my only complaint about Cabanas. I also made my own cranapple juice by just mixing cranberry and apple. It's fun to watch the ship finish up and watch everyone scurrying around on the island. We went back to our room and sat on the verandah watching until it was time to debark.
Our plan was to do an excursion today and do some things we have wanted to do, then on our second CC day just chill out. I wanted to start by Pelican Plunge and do the slides. We walked, which we won't do again in that humidity. We found a couple of chairs, DH headed into the water and I got in line for the slides. It was 855 and they don't open until 9, but there were only 5 people or so ahead of me. Side note...you can't wear water shoes on the slides, but they have a little place to leave things you can't take.
I did the enclosed slide first, then got out, got back in line, and did the other one. The enclosed one is shorter, but of course it's cool that it is enclosed. The open slide is longer and faster. I have always liked water slides and even at my age I am glad I tried these out. It wasn't hard at all for me and I think anyone tall enough will enjoy them regardless of age.
After this DH and I just floated around a little farther out (past the kids) and swam around, balanced with a little lounging with a konk cooler (for me) and a corona (for DH). CC is so relaxing. I had never been on this particular part of it and it was a cute reminder of what our life was like when the kids were little.
at 1130 we headed to Cookies Too. I had hot dogs, banana bread (recommended on this site), some salad, and some more fruit, plus some iced tea and afterward an ice cream cone. DH had similar but he had more tomato salad and a hamburger instead of a hot dog. We ate and watched the staff keep the birds away. If you have to leave your food, cover it up, those little buggers will swoop in before you know it.
At 130 we had reported over to Marge's Barge's for our Rigid Hull Snorkel excursion. We had chosen the adult only one; I believe kids can go in the morning. This was a pleasant surprise. DH used to scuba dive so I knew he would enjoy it. They took us out to a small island area near CC and fitted us all with snorkel equipment. We saw a stingray, lots of coral, and colorful fish. If you look at the rocks on the bottom there are usually fish hiding in there, sometimes quite a few. We got back on the boat and they took us to another area in somewhat deeper water. While most everyone was fine, I was bobbing around so much I just got exhausted and was the first one back on the boat. DH told me later that since people are naturally buoyant in salt water, I should not have put so much air into my vest and that was why I was bobbing around. Was he right? I don't know, I never took physics, LOL. When we boarded they gave us a very strong rum punch (or water) and buzzed around the far waters of serenity bay to see a starfish and some more rays, then back to the dock at 330. It was well worth the price ($89 PP) and DH tipped the operators as well.
Back on the boat, between the swimming and the diving, my arm was starting to hurt around my shoulder. Of course I had brought tylenol, sinus tylenol, tylenol migraine but no advil. At first we went up to the adult pool for a bit and also sat in the adult only hot tub right there to try heat on it, which helped a little. Back in the room I iced it and watched some TV. We also watched the ship get ready and sail off from CC. Captain Andy played all of the horn tones except Star Wars.
Tonight was the night you could dress up if you wanted. However, I didn't see that on the online navigator. It took me a few days to find some things. Also, they showed Toy Story 4 late this night, but I never heard a thing about it. I don't think it was in the navigator, and I missed any announcement..I just heard about it the next day.
Anyhow, we did NOT dress up. Since the ship was underway the first thing we did was go buy advil, which did help me quite a bit. We did not do 80s trivia although I wanted to; I just forgot! We sat on deck 4 and watched the sunset. We have some photos in our cruise casual. They are actually decent, even though everyone else was all dolled up. They took photos in our restaurant this evening too (Royal Palace). DH and I both got the lobster and shrimp appetizer. For the entree, I took a chance and got the crispy duck breast. I had not had duck since age 12 (1975) when it made me sick. I did enjoy it, to use another cliche it tastes like chicken. The crispy skin is the best part. DH had the steak. For dessert I got the grand mariner souffle which I have had on every cruise; I love it. DH got the strawberry shortcake sundae which he raved about.
We did some shopping and also went to Pink. I wanted to try out a couple of bars I had seen positive things about. My drink to try was an elderflower. It was pretty good. DH doesn't drink champagne so I only had the one as he looked bored. By this time it was about 11 so we headed to our room an watched the wake in the darkness--the stars were very vivid this evening.
Tomorrow: anniversary, rainforest room, massage for DH, Palo dinner, and finally we meet Lola and Pablo.

Day #3! Nassau day and our 33rd anniversary!
I got another 6AM wakeup call and headed up to the top decks, but it was cloudy so I just got a tervis full of iced tea and headed back down.
We had no plans to get off the ship today! We had rainforest day passes I had ordered a couple of months ago. First we went up and ate at Cabanas. I tried the oatmeal bar but I didn't go crazy--just brown sugar in mine, thanks. Plus some bacon and fruit. We watched the ship turn around so it could back into the berth, which was good news since we could sit on our aft balcony later and get the Atlantis view.
We headed off to the Rainforest room and spent a couple of hours in there. We were the first ones there. I used the warm tropical shower which I really enjoy, then we headed into the room with the heated chairs and the hot tubs. Last year we had a great view of Nassau from there, but this time we got a view of the MSC Seaside backing into the berth next to ours. I wonder if they thought we were in some kind of swanky concierge room, LOL. That ship is a nice looking ship too. DH spent some time in the steam room (not for me--I can't get my breath in those) while I did in the sauna. Mostly we were on those chairs. The hot tubs in there are really hot, and one of them was too much for me to do more than put my legs in.
After that we found a chair at the adult only pool and DH got in while I ran and rode the aquaduck (wait was 10 minutes or less). Last year I felt like a beached whale getting out of the float but for some reason this time was easier. I really like it but feel silly if it is a long line full of kids--if it's a short line I feel better about it. After that we spent an hour or so at the adult pool, then we headed to Cabanas for lunch. While I did enjoy the shrimp and a slice of prime rib I was already scaling back on the food, or trying to. DH did become addicted to the orange jello for some reason.
For our anniversary DH had snuck some really nice amethyst earrings into the luggage and I was feeling guilty so I set him up for a 50 minute swedish massage. We had an hour to kill so he went back to the pool and I sat on the verandah with my headphones and my ipod touch ( I have so many songs in my itunes library it would kill my phone storage, so I will keep using the ipod until it dies, thanks). I was blissfully zoning out. When DH came back we went back to the spa. He went to his massage and I spent another hour in the rainforest. It was more crowded with only about 3 chairs open, but aside from a little chatter between friends it was still very relaxing and I fell asleep for a bit. He really enjoyed his massage and I warned him about upsells. He asked about a tip and I told him it was already included, which was good thing because he would have tipped if I hadn't told him.
At this point I got on the phone and canceled our 4PM mixology class for the next day. I had grabbed it because it was the only one open when I booked, but the more I thought about it, getting hammered at 4PM after a day of sun and ahead of my needing to pack didn't make much sense (and I say getting hammered because we did a class last year and I was really soused--I dont drink much in real life). So cancelations do happen; if you want a class and can't get it, keep trying.
We spent some more adult pool time but I left ahead of him to wash my hair for dinner and try to tame it a little. Here is where Lola and Pablo come in. DH was back and I had told him about runners, and we watched people come back and tried to guess if they were for our ship (515 all aboard) or MSC Seaside. Before 5 the MSC ship had been paging two people named Lola and Pablo (of course they had full names but 1) I don't remember them and 2) I wouldn't put them here anyhow). They probably paged them 3x. At 5 the MSC started pulling away. About 5-10 minutes later this young couple leisurely strolls up to the pier, so calmly I figured they were on the Dream, but no, they went over to the now-empty pier and stared after the Seaside! Pablo motioned toward it like "is that our boat? It already left?" (at this point the ship was showing up on the "bridge view" channel in our stateroom). Then they saw a dock employee under the "welcome to the Bahamas" sign and walked over to him. After discussion he pointed toward the shore and the buildings there. They took off walking that way, with Pablo in a hurry and Lola, in my opinion, not that concerned. At the end of the berths he had started running and she was just following him. It seemed he realized they fix they were in, but Lola did not. I wonder how it turned out--did they have to fly to Miami (cruise was over the next day)? Did they hire a boat to run them out to the ship? If they flew back, what happened to the stuff in their room? Questions I will never have answered.
We got all dressed up and headed down to the atrium to get some nice formal pictures taken. A couple of people asked me why we didn't want to do pirate night, but I just explained it was our anniversary and we were going to Palo. A LOT of people were really dressed up, though. We tend to just wear pirate themed t shirts and maybe the bandana they give us. We did get some nice shots, tonight and over the cruise and we ended up buying the 15 picture digital package (10% off with the Disney Visa discount). The show tonight was watching Toy Story 4--but with our 630 reservation, it didn't work out for us.
First we went up to Meridian, the bar between Palo and Remy, which I had read about and wanted to try. I had a chocolate Martini and DH had a corona. The atmosphere in there is all 30s steamship decor and wealth to me; it reminded me of old Clark Gable movies. The maitre d' found us and walked us to our table, the last one by the windows but wow, what a view. Our server was Corinne from France and she was super attentive and had great suggestions, and kept refilling our drinks (iced tea and coke by this time). First we had the course with the cheese, ham, and olives. Then a palate cleanser. Then DH and I both had the caprese salad for our appetizer. Now if you have this often, as we do, it is probably tempting to get something else, but this is the best mozzarella we have ever had--it just melted. Then we both ordered the sea scallops for our entree. Corinne suggested a bowl of pasta with it; I wish I could remember what kind it was because it was wonderful and a perfect pairing for the scallops. The scallops were delicious as well. Both DH and I got souffles--I ordered the chocolate souffle and DH got the amaretto souffle. I tried his and it was good, but mine was wonderful. At the end Corinne brought us little lemony slushy shots of something (again, I should have written it down or something) which were really good. There is no way this meal would have cost just $80 in a normal restaurant. And Corinne was such a great server, we tipped her $40--I know some of you will roll your eyes at that, but you had to be there.
After dinner we put on our pirate shirts and went to the atrium and got another picture (didn't get much use out of the shirts--good thing we are going on the Fantasy next year). We shopped and discussed going to the pirate party, but we saw it in 2016 and we were really tired so we headed to the room. I was sitting on the verandah when the fireworks started and we had a great view of them anyway!
Next: 2nd day at CC and no plans at all!

Last day and debarkation day:
On our 2nd CC day I got my 6AM wakeup call and went back to sleep--good thing I got some good sunrise pics on day 1! I let DH sleep some and then we got some cabanas breakfast. DH discovered the cream of wheat bar and was happy to see that--he must have had it as a kid because we don't have any at home. I was just eating oatmeal and fruit...and a little bacon.
We took our time leaving today and in fact DH told me to go along first. We were headed right to Serenity Bay today--the plan was we had definite things to do on day 1, but today was just relax and chill. So I walked all the way to the SB tram stop and then rode out. The 5K was going on so I was yelling encouragement to the runners on the way. I did the 5K (mostly walking) in March of 2016 but in the summer humidity there was no way.
When I got to SB I rented a float and found some chairs easily--in fact only 2 or 3 people were there at about 9ish. I went out almost to the ropes. More people arrived but SB is never really crowded. When DH got there I spotted him easily--he has a very old WDW hat that was orange originally (probably 2006 or even 2003) but now it's peach; it's the hat he wears anytime he needs a hat. We did a lot of floating and relaxing. It was so nice--I try to store up memories like that for the winter when my students (11th/12th grade) are being crappy and it's 15 degrees outside in Ohio.
I did get one konk kooler during the morning, and right about 1130 we went over to the SB BBQ. Last year I remembered the steak was not as good as it looked, so I stayed with the safe hot dogs plus some really good penne pasta tomato salad, banana bread, and fruit. Plus I drink a lot of iced tea. The birds were around but the CMs were shooing them off. One guy left his food and a bird landed on it, but the CMs immediately were there and told the guy to sit down and they'd get him a fresh plate.
DH and I floated at SB for a while longer but he was intrigued by the snorkeling. We had done it in 2003 and since he enjoyed the snorkel excursion so much on day #1 he wanted to try it again. We agreed that with my shoulder still bugging me and my lack of stamina (hey, know thyself) he would do it and I would go to the ship.
I bought some T shirts--fun fact, the 10% visa discount is not good on the island plus they charge a 12% Bahamian tax, not their fault but the discount being no good was news to me. Then I went to the ship, swam in the adult pool for a while (everyone else there seemed to work for Toyota so I didn't stay long enough for them to find out I'm on my 5th Honda ;) ) then back to the room for a shower. DH came back eventually, and we watched the ship leave CC. One of the things we did before dinner was put down a placeholder...our next cruise is booked, but just in case, I thought. Our master plan was a big family trip in 2021 for the 50th anniversary and our 35th, with all 3 kids, the 2 grandkids, etc. We were having second thoughts on the cruise; that we would never make everyone happy, etc. Now that we are back my two oldest are aghast that we are reconsidering the family trip. But hey, if we don't use the placeholder the money just comes back.
We also went right to Shutters when they opened, looked at our pictures, and bought a 15 picture digital package with our 10% off for Visa. 20 minutes later the line was insane. Don't wait if you want to go to Shutters on the last night!
We saw the 6PM showing of Beauty and the Beast. We did get shut out of a pair of seats because "someone is sitting there" and no one ever did, but the show was starting and I didn't feel like starting a scene. It was totally packed 5 minutes in and people were standing and trying to sit on stairs, and this couple had 2 extra seats. So trashy. The show was really good though. It was the only one we saw and it was worth the trouble.
Tonight we ate at Animator's Palate. They put us by a screen to get talked to but Crush never came (I was OK with this but the head waiter was really sorry). They also sang to us for our anniversary. Constantin told me that the desserts were OK on the menu but he offered to get me a creme brulee for royal palace, so how could I say no? Other than that I had the black truffle pursettes and the steak.
The next morning we were all ready to go (our bags went that night and we met them at the airport when we got home--love that! ). Ate with Constantin and Aline at Animator's at 8, went through customs and got almost the last two seats on a bus to the airport, which we made in plenty of time for our 1205 flight.

All in all, a great cruise. I loved doing CC twice. We treated Nassau as a sea day so we didn't miss that (although a sea view instead of a view of MSC Seaside and Carnival Elation may have been better). And looking forward to our 7 night Eastern Fantasy at the end of next May.

Thanks for the report :thumbsup2
I have recently become obsessed with Alex and Ani jewelry, can you tell me how much it was onboard and was there multiple designs or just the DCL logo?
My sister and I will be on the Dream next month celebrating our birthdays! Excited!

Thanks for the report :thumbsup2
I have recently become obsessed with Alex and Ani jewelry, can you tell me how much it was onboard and was there multiple designs or just the DCL logo?
My sister and I will be on the Dream next month celebrating our birthdays! Excited!
It was $37 with tax, etc. and we added something to it so we could get the 10% off (Disney Visa discount needs a $50 purchase). There were at least two designs available that were cruise specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter