The Aussies Are Running Wine & Dine 2019

Congrats on your engagement and your friends pregnancy!! What fantastic things to look forward to!
I subscribe to WDW Magazine and in a recent issue they had a writer who did a Dine Around DisneySprings route. The idea is that you share a snack/appetiser at each stop so that you don't get too full and get to enjoy a little bit of everything. I've picked out places and menu items that hubby and I would like to try and will map out our route closer to our departure :) I need to do another thread updates with new plans and progress, so I'll be sure to include our plans as I've had a lot of people interested in this aspect of my planning :)

Thank you very much :D Oooh ok that sounds great, looking forward to it.

Want more details on that Disney Springs Dine Around? Below is the list of what I think we'll include:

The Daily Poutine
We're fascinated with how anyone could team french fries/gravy & cheese curds

As a Canadian, I can assure you Poutine is SO GOOD :D Good luck with the half marathon!

As a Canadian, I can assure you Poutine is SO GOOD :D Good luck with the half marathon!
Whoops! Missed that.

She's right. Poutine is wonderful... but... I'm very fussy when it comes to poutine. There's poutine and there's poutine. Not sure how The Daily Poutine rates.

Whoops! Missed that.

She's right. Poutine is wonderful... but... I'm very fussy when it comes to poutine. There's poutine and there's poutine. Not sure how The Daily Poutine rates.

Oh yes. I agree with you there. There are cheese curds and then there are CHEESE CURDS. If they don't squeak, they don't count. Have not tried Daily Poutine either.

WE'RE BOOKED!!

So so much has happened since my last update.

I think I mentioned that I was running a Half Marathon. Well I did and it was BRUTAL!! I really underestimated how intense and challenging this course would be and the crazy amount of hills and inclines really killed me. I won't bore you with the details but you can read more about my running and training journey in the RunDisney section of the DisBoards under Training Journals. Below are just a snippet of the photos from the day and the STUNNING scenery that distracted me from the pain and those hill climbs!!

The Great Ocean Road is the most iconic coastal drive we have in Australia. To run it was an absolute privilege and we were rewarded with an amazing sunrise while we waited for the pre-dawn start.

Untitled by Jennie G, on Flickr

Along the way we were blessed to find about half a dozen wild koalas in the trees above us. Even in Australia it's rare to find so many wild koalas all gathered in one spot like this.

Don't let the smile fool you! This was at the halfway point (12.5km) and as you can see in the background I've just slogged up a huge damn hill!!

I've never been so happy to cross a finish line. This Half Marathon was actually slightly longer than the standard 21.2km distance. This race was 23km's and as I crossed the line EVERYTHING was screaming.

I honestly think this course might be a one and done for me. Stunning YES!! But easy NO!!

Anyway, following the race I thought I'd managed to come out of it injury free but I spoke to soon and it looks like I've developed a shin splint in my right leg or a bit of tendonitis. I'm totally NOT surprised as I wasn't nearly as prepared for this race as I'd normally be thanks to 3 weeks off in April with the flu that was sweeping through our workplace like wild fire. I'm lucky enough to have about 2-3 months rest time in front of me now before I have to begin training again for Wine & Dine, so this injury is not the end of the world and has happened at the best time possible.

Enough about running though. This week the big news is that ...........

WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS!!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

We've previously flown both Qantas and Virgin Australia to the US and although we preferred the in-flight service on Virgin, Qantas had better pricing, connections and a larger plane on offer (the A380).
So Qantas it is!!

For the first time we'll also be transiting through Dallas rather than LAX. LAX is always a nightmare, so the opportunity to avoid it really appealed to us.

So we depart Melbourne on Saturday 26th October and thanks to the wonder of time zones we arrive in Orlando on Saturday night 26th October. On the way back we're departing mid afternoon on the 13th of November and arrive back into Melbourne on Friday 15th November.

Now that we have confirmed and booked flights we can really start to plan the fun stuff.

We've already booked our MNSSHP tickets (29 Oct party) but we're tossing up between MVMCP on either the 11th Nov or the 12th Nov. Obviously going to the one on the 12th would be a great finale to our trip before we fly out the next day BUT if we went to the one on the 11th we'd be fresh and well slept to jump out of bed on the 13th and squeeze in an extra half day at a park. But like everything, the party on the 11th has it's draw backs too. It's only the second Christmas party for the year and I've heard that the first couple of parties can be sold out or VERY busy.

If you had to choose which one would you attend? The 11th or the 12th November??

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

I think I mentioned that I was running a Half Marathon. Well I did and it was BRUTAL!! I really underestimated how intense and challenging this course would be and the crazy amount of hills and inclines really killed me.

Oh dear.

:hug:

Wow! Gorgeous!

Even in Australia it's rare to find so many wild koalas all gathered in one spot like this.

What? You don't have them littering the countryside and clogging up the streets? (Along with kangaroos and poisonous... everything.) ;)

Just like we have polar bears on every street corner. :)

Don't let the smile fool you! This was at the halfway point (12.5km) and as you can see in the background I've just slogged up a huge damn hill!!

I'm tired just looking at it.

Actually... at second glance... I think I could fairly easily drive that.

:duck:

This race was 23km's and as I crossed the line EVERYTHING was screaming.

Awwww.

:hug:

Anyway, following the race I thought I'd managed to come out of it injury free but I spoke to soon and it looks like I've developed a shin splint in my right leg or a bit of tendonitis.

Oh, no! How are you now?

WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS!!

Yay!!!

If you had to choose which one would you attend? The 11th or the 12th November??

The 11th. I always feel a bit melancholy on my last day. Yes I have fun, but... when I leave the park for the last time....
I'd rather leave a Christmas party on a high. And knowing I wasn't leaving the next day would help. A lot.

I think I mentioned that I was running a Half Marathon. Well I did and it was BRUTAL!! I really underestimated how intense and challenging this course would be and the crazy amount of hills and inclines really killed me.

AH! I feel you - I just ran a 10K race yesterday and did not realize how many hills would be involved. DID not train for inclines, ugh. It was brutal as well. But congrats on finishing and YAY for flights being booked.

I think if I had to pick I would do the Christmas party on my last day - go out with a bang! I would feel ok being super busy and exhausting myself because it is the last day of vacation. And since you are departing mid afternoon, then you can enjoy your resort for a little bit before heading out?? Curious to know which one you pick.

GAAAHHHH DISNEY CHANGED MY PLANS!!

As typically happens when you get closer to your trip dates, Disney inevitably decides to throw you some curve balls! Since my last update they've announced new Fast Pass + tiers at Hollywood Studios which have really thrown me for a loop. I'm really unsure now how to schedule my Hollywood Studios time and am scouring the internet to see what the sites recommend as a touring plan :(

There's also been news come out about a new fireworks show for MVMCP & MNSSHP's!! Am looking forward to seeing the new shows. I mentioned in my last post that we were tossing up between MVMCP on the 11th Nov or 12th Nov and we've decided to attend the part on the 12th, the night before we leave :) I'm also really excited that friends of ours who live in Orlando are joining us for MNSSHP!! Normally when we travel overseas we're always on our own so we're really looking forward to having great company and friends with us to enjoy the night. I personally can't wait to go trick or treating again :) I'm having a terrible time trying to decide on a costume though. This trip we need to bring with us costumes for MNSSHP, 5km race & 10km race. HELP!!! Any costume ideas out there?

Just this week I've had to move around some plans thanks to the announcements about holiday celebrations at Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. I hadn't planned on going to Animal Kingdom after 8th Nov but when the new details came out this week about holidays at Animal Kingdom I just had to move around some of our plans :) I also switched up the night we were going to do our Disney Springs Food Crawl. After all, a combined food crawl and Christmas Tree Trail adventure are just too good to pass up!!

I can't believe we're only a little over 4 months away from our trip!! It's coming up so quickly!!

Since my last update they've announced new Fast Pass + tiers at Hollywood Studios which have really thrown me for a loop. I'm really unsure now how to schedule my Hollywood Studios time and am scouring the internet to see what the sites recommend as a touring plan :(
I heard that too...
Basically, the new tier system says that you should ride one ride and then leave the park and go to Universal for the rest of the day.

At least that's what I think. I can't believe they did that. It's absolutely horrible.
There's also been news come out about a new fireworks show for MVMCP & MNSSHP's!!
I'm not looking forward to it. MNSSHP fireworks are sooooo good. Not sure if they will "improve" on it like they tried to with Wishes-HEA. Wishes is clearly superior.

I heard that too...
Basically, the new tier system says that you should ride one ride and then leave the park and go to Universal for the rest of the day.

At least that's what I think. I can't believe they did that. It's absolutely horrible.

I'm not looking forward to it. MNSSHP fireworks are sooooo good. Not sure if they will "improve" on it like they tried to with Wishes-HEA. Wishes is clearly superior.

The first week that we're there we have the extra extra magic hours at HS so I've programmed to be at HS at 6am when the gates open and head straight for SWGE (like almost everyone I'm sure), spend 1-2 hours in SWGE and book a FP+ for around 8am at one of the Tier 1 attractions outside SWGE. I've got 3 mornings in the first week pencilled in so that's pretty much when we're going to get our fill of SWGE. Unfortunately from then on I think we'll avoid SWGE and just head to HS for our 1 ride and then go to another park.

We saw Wishes and Hallowishes on our 2016 trip and they were impressive but everything moves forward and it'll be fun to see a new show. We obviously don't get to go often enough to fall in love with an old favourite :)

The first week that we're there we have the extra extra magic hours at HS so I've programmed to be at HS at 6am when the gates open and head straight for SWGE (like almost everyone I'm sure), spend 1-2 hours in SWGE and book a FP+ for around 8am at one of the Tier 1 attractions outside SWGE. I've got 3 mornings in the first week pencilled in so that's pretty much when we're going to get our fill of SWGE. Unfortunately from then on I think we'll avoid SWGE and just head to HS for our 1 ride and then go to another park.
Yeah, they seem to be intent on keeping DHS as a half day park.
Guess we'll see if it stays that way once the pandemonium surrounding SWGE subsides.
We saw Wishes and Hallowishes on our 2016 trip and they were impressive but everything moves forward and it'll be fun to see a new show. We obviously don't get to go often enough to fall in love with an old favourite :)
I'm going to keep positive and hope that the new Hallowishes is better than the old. Guess we'll see!

WAVING GOODBYE TO THAT ANNUAL PASS!!

Like a lot of people this week, I got side swiped by Disney and the eye watering price hikes they passed on somewhat out of the blue. I'm especially kicking myself because last weekend I almost hit the pay now button on a Platinum Annual pass at $849 USD BUT I stupidly thought I'd wait 2 weeks until the next credit car statement started GGAHHHHHHHHH!!! What a rookie move. Low and behold the prices went up and with a $225 USD price increase, any savings we stood to make have all but disappeared. I'm understandably angry at myself. Now that we won't have those discounts it's also meant having to cut back a little on our Table Service meals as well but that's ok. Quick Service is fine by us and there's still a lot of choices, especially at the resort Quick Services.
:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

So what to do now?
We still need tickets for 17 park days and the US Disney site doesn't sell anything longer than a 10 day ticket.

Luckily I've spent a lot of time researching this trip and found a great ticket option from a UK site offering 21 day park tickets which include:

21 Day Tickets
Memory Maker
Park Hopper
Entry to Water Parks
Entry to Mini Golf
Plus other Orlando area bundled discounts and savings

Buy 2 of these UK tickets actually saved us $500 Australian, so it's no small saving. What did we do with that money saved??

Well of course we didn't save it WE SPENT IT!! On Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party tickets. We're attending the party the night before we fly back to Australia - 12th November :) I can't wait to go to this party! We've done the Halloween party before, and are doing it again on this visit with good friends of ours, but I personally LOVE Christmas and can't wait for this party. I'd love to hear all your tips for either party!

So what else has been going on? OH! We finally settled on our Halloween party costumes which will also double as our 10km race costume. Hubby is going as a Pizza Planet Delivery Boy and I'm going as a Pizza Planet alien. With Toy Story 4 coming out, pizza being my husbands favourite food and keeping with the food theme for the races, we thought these were a good option and very practical. I absolutely love Tigger so for the 5km Jungle Themed race I thought I could probably stretch out the theme a little to include a Tigger :)

Speaking of running, training for the races starts this week and at least 1 person in our household (AKA ME!) will be following that training pretty closely. Hubby on the other hand will wing it and pay for it pretty dearly in the day or two after the 10km. Trust me, I'll be laughing at him and saying "I told you so" when he's complaining about all his aches and pains.

So with only 125 days to go we have everything other than fast passes booked and only the balance of our accomodation at POP to pay on checkin.

So I'd love to hear your tips for MVMCP & MNSSHP as well as recommendations for your favourite Quick Service places!!

The price increases are so sad to hear :( Seems like it never ends and just goes up and up and up!

My favourite QS in MK is Peco Bills. Their topping bar is so yummy, love their taco salad. Those costumes are awesome! Good luck with the training.

Like a lot of people this week, I got side swiped by Disney and the eye watering price hikes they passed on somewhat out of the blue. I'm especially kicking myself because last weekend I almost hit the pay now button on a Platinum Annual pass at $849 USD BUT I stupidly thought I'd wait 2 weeks until the next credit car statement started GGAHHHHHHHHH!!! What a rookie move. Low and behold the prices went up and with a $225 USD price increase,
:sad2:
Ridiculous price increase. I just got an AP. Won't again.
Buy 2 of these UK tickets actually saved us $500 Australian, so it's no small saving. What did we do with that money saved??
Niiiice.
Well of course we didn't save it WE SPENT IT!!
:laughing: Of course!
I'd love to hear all your tips for either party!
Hmmm....
MNSSHP.
Decide what you want to do and do it. If your priority is character meets, get in line early for your first choice and be prepared to miss some. The lines can be looong.
Do not miss the fireworks or the parade. However there are two parades and they're identical. The second is less crowded. Research what treats are available... chose wisely.
MVMCP
Only thing more is to make sure you are on Main St. when it snows. Pretty cool to see that. I don't remember when that is, but I'm sure you can find out from someone around here.
Hubby is going as a Pizza Planet Delivery Boy and I'm going as a Pizza Planet alien.
:) I like it.
Trust me, I'll be laughing at him and saying "I told you so" when he's complaining about all his aches and pains.
:laughing:
recommendations for your favourite Quick Service places!!
Just in MK or everywhere?
MK, I have yet to try CHH but the lobster roll and shrimp mac n cheese are high on my list.
Pecos Bill's as mentioned with the fixin's bar, but the burger is only meh, IMHO.

Just in MK or everywhere?
MK, I have yet to try CHH but the lobster roll and shrimp mac n cheese are high on my list.
Pecos Bill's as mentioned with the fixin's bar, but the burger is only meh, IMHO.

QS recommendations in all parks/resorts would be amazing. We've scheduled some non park days in our plans so we're thinking of checking out some of the bay lake or EPCOT area resorts that we haven't seen before :)

QS recommendations in all parks/resorts would be amazing. We've scheduled some non park days in our plans so we're thinking of checking out some of the bay lake or EPCOT area resorts that we haven't seen before :)
Okay... let's see....
Epcot:
Yorkshire County Fish Shop (I liked the fish and chips there. Tables right around the corner with views of the lake)
Sunshine Seasons in The Land (don't miss the strawberry shortcake)
Les Halles in France or Kringla Bakeri og Kafe in Norway for dessert.

Animal Kingdom
Haven't been, but Restaurantosaurus for a burger I hear.
Flame Tree
8 Spoons café for my favourite shrimp mac n cheese

DHS
Only quick service I've used there was Woody's Lunch Box. Pretty good grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Heard mixed things about ABC commissary.

111 DAYS TO GO!!

Oh my goodness! We're quickly approaching double digits. I can't get over how quickly the year has flown by. It feels like we only had Christmas a few short months ago. Has anyone else noticed how time seems to speed up the older you get?

I've started transcribing all my plans into a planning journal for the trip and getting together all my confirmation numbers and emails. I've also started making lists using the Wunderlist application on my phone for snacks to try broken down into park/resort, non park day activities to try, Food & Wine items to try. My phone will be with me 24/7 so it made sense to me to use some kind of tick and flick app that would allow me to keep everything in one place. Plus Wunderlist does't use any phone data so I won't rack up a huge data bill whilst overseas :) Always a big consideration for Australians travelling to the US.

So the big news this week in Australia is that we've all just been handed a big tax break by our government. As couple with no children, not from an ethnic group and in good health, we very very rarely see any kind of tax benefits. Our government here has just voted in tax reforms that'll see my husband and I receive an extra $1,080 each in our tax return this year!! WOOOHHHHHHHH DISNEY MONEY!! Gotta love Disney math :)

Components of my 5km & 10km Wine & Dine race costumes started arriving this week as well! I decided to go with theme for the Jungle Book 5km race.

But I've gone completely against theme for the Frozen 10km race and decided to go with a Toy Story theme :)

My 10km costume will also be my MNSSHP costume. We felt like it made sense to be practical with our choices and create a costume out of items we could wear multiple times throughout our trip. Lugging big elaborate costumes all the way from Australia just isn't practical.

As for the Half Marathon, I've decided to wear my Be Our Guest Lizards shirt. I joined up with this great running group after listening to the Be Our Guest Podcast for about 12 months. They're a great group of about 1600 keen runners who are all so supportive and positive. They've kept me going when I felt like giving up and we regularly celebrate each others achievements. I'm really looking forward to a few Lizard meet ups throughout Wine & Dine weekend.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be finalising our touring plans and starting to list what Fastpasses I want to book for each day of our stay. It's getting close now to opening day for Star Wars Galaxies Edge, so I'm hoping we'll get a better idea of crowd levels and hope to see the Gondolas finally open. Choosing to stay at POP was a great idea as we'll have another form of transport once the Gondolas open and after the races they'll be a great way to get back to POP rather than the buses.

Stay awesome everyone!

111 DAYS TO GO!!
That's a pretty cool number. :)
It feels like we only had Christmas a few short months ago.
Snow... Please don't remind me.
Has anyone else noticed how time seems to speed up the older you get?
This is so weird! I was just thinking that yesterday!
No... it was the day before yesterday...

Actually, now that I think about it, it was last week., not on the weekend.

No. I'm still wrong. It was 20 years ago.
So the big news this week in Australia is that we've all just been handed a big tax break by our government.
This is possible???
Our government here has just voted in tax reforms that'll see my husband and I receive an extra $1,080 each in our tax return this year!!
Whoa! Nice!

Snow... Please don't remind me.

OMG I'd love to experience a white Christmas one day!

Christmas here in Australia is our summer and it's damn hot!!

Instead of eating roast meats like turkey with all the trimmings we typically eat seafood and cook outside on the big day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!